Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

So apparently the initial release is going to be in UE4, with a later transition to UE5. I'm sure there won't be any major issues that pop up when that happens.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/payday-3/unreal-engine-5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/payday-2-return-of-the-ultimate-score-bundle

If you're missing any of the dlc humble is here for you, it's literally everything except for the Texas heists and you get a coupon for those

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj83Jkn2KiQ

About 40 minutes of beta gameplay

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the footage is all from presskits and trailers but the impressions are real

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Alright maybe not 40 minutes of original gameplay but someone got invited to Sweden and played the game, with a lot of impressions and noted changes:

• The game as a whole is taking more after PAYDAY: THE HEIST instead of PAYDAY 2; much more quality over quantity emphasis for everything. This also includes stealth getting huge overhauls like :siren: being able to loving close doors :siren:
  • Crosshairs are in by default like every other FPS game WOOOOOOOO
  • A lot of influence from COD, like more gradual damage dropoff, more extensive weapon customization, and weapon XP
  • 8 Heists to start with, 8 tracks each.
  • If you fail a heist, the RNGseed for the heist stays even on retries. If you want a completely fresh reroll you'd probably have to ragequit then come back.
  • PAYDAY 3 also has dedicated servers
  • New contractor/coordinator is a woman called Shade. Bain/Locke are not confirmed/known to be involved at least for now. But Gage is back(probably to pitch more DLC weapons :v:)
  • If you go into custody, it's just a timer that ticks down. I think. Video isn't quite clear on that
  • Melee weapons, concealment, and dodge are all gone. Same for :siren: Ace Inspire :siren:. Also the stats are back to the bars in PAYDAY 2's launch and the primordial ps3/xbox 360 versions.
  • You have spendable cash and a goonContinental Coin replacement called C-Stacks that is practically the same thing. Infamy is your actual level instead of your COD prestige.
  • AI also reportedly improved a lot. No more conga lines of 30+ cops staring at walls. Spawns in general seem to be reduced, but the AI/threat of each individual enemy has gone way up. This also includes special cops. Everybody in general is smarter and more vicious. Includes flanking and hiding behind Shields.
  • Vox's Grenadier enemies from Crackdown are confirmed, they throw gas at you that bypasses armor and goes straight into eroding health. New special saboteur units with gold masks that...sabotage you. I think by booby trapping deployables and prioritizing stoping hacks or forcing extra objectives in a heist, like activating sprinklers when using thermite. Cloakers can also steal your deployables and they damage your health the longer they play the bongos on your butt with batons like L4D Hunters.
  • New FBI Van enemy/objective like Captain Winters. One pulls up and makes an infinite assault happen until you fail or you destroy the radar dish on the van.
  • Self-sustain stuff like Stoic with a 10+ bullet pickup assault rifle also seems to be gone. Much harder to roleplay as Rambo and be team-independant.
  • There's about 7-8 different secondaries and primaries, more than PAYDAY: THE HEIST but about on par with PAYDAY 2 back in mid 2014 with only a few gage DLC packs. More is obviously coming via DLC post launch but at least for now, there doesn't seem to be as much loadout bloat/redundancy
  • Skills/perk decks also got overhauled, something like 20+ skills you can pick from once unlocked, and skills like Shotgun Overkill/Trigger Happy are likely not in PAYDAY 3. This also means most weapons are viable immediately out of the box and you don't need to pump them up with 4 different skills.
  • There's smoke bombs that confuse cops, like Sicario but not really. Probably vital for revives when your teammates run into the street and get mauled.
  • Drills are trying to be minimized, more than just sitting around waiting for 3-6 minutes. More minigames like safe cracking and blowtorch tracing like from raid ww2
  • Difficulties go back to Normal/Hard/Very Hard/Overkill, and anything beyond hard stifles the arcade/rambo run-out-in-the-street-and-kill-everything-without-your-team style of PAYDAY 2 even on death wish. You really should work together because otherwise you're gonna get overrun
  • Difficulties also reportedly have extra objectives on the higher settings like N64 Goldeneye. However, the enemy health should remain the same on all difficulties. Bullet spongey-ness also cut down in general.
  • Killing civilians directly cuts your end of heist payout, up to a 70% reduction in rewards so don't do that. Civilians can also be traded for more assault wave delays and/or get first aid kits
  • There's :krad: Overkill Weapons :krad:. Kind of like the Tank Hunter/ Tankgewehr 1918 kits from Battlefield 1 for a super powerful but limited weapon. This includes the Piglet and a GM6 Lynx anti-materiel rifle. You can't holster them, just pick up and use them to clear out crowds
  • There's stuff like remote camera hacking devices to disable/control cameras and sticky cams you can put on guards and view the area around them as they walk around. Looks cool and useful for stealth.

Overall takeaway is quite positive

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

EorayMel posted:

[list]
[*]Killing civilians directly cuts your end of heist payout, up to a 70% reduction in rewards so don't do that. Civilians can also be traded for more assault wave delays and/or get first aid kits

That sucks. I got too much of a kick out of wholesale murder once it became pennies of the overall money you would earn (mainly due to how my friends started reacting). Making people think about what they do is a positive change overall, I suppose.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm ready to give PD3 a go and am optimistic but:

EorayMel posted:

• weapon XP
  • Melee weapons, concealment, and dodge are all gone. Same for :siren: Ace Inspire :siren:. Also the stats are back to the bars in PAYDAY 2's launch and the primordial ps3/xbox 360 versions.
  • AI also reportedly improved a lot. No more conga lines of 30+ cops staring at walls. Spawns in general seem to be reduced, but the AI/threat of each individual enemy has gone way up. This also includes special cops. Everybody in general is smarter and more vicious. Includes flanking and hiding behind Shields.
  • Self-sustain stuff like Stoic with a 10+ bullet pickup assault rifle also seems to be gone. Much harder to roleplay as Rambo and be team-independant.
    anything beyond hard stifles the arcade/rambo run-out-in-the-street-and-kill-everything-without-your-team style of PAYDAY 2 even on death wish. You really should work together because otherwise you're gonna get overrun
All this goes against the design that made PD2 so different and fun. Fewer cops but they can each kill your rear end dead? Where's my power fantasy of mowing down the entire Cop Dimension every map? Where's the goofy-rear end melee weapons so I can beat someone with a selfie stick?

Gotta say though,

EorayMel posted:

But Gage is back(probably to pitch more DLC weapons :v:)

I'm actually fine with Gage coming back exclusively to sell DLC weapons, that seems like a fun niche for a character.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, you can always keep playing PD2 for that. If you have regular heisting buds, just boot up PD2 and mow down neverending spawns.

I like goofing around solo in PD2 VR and this game is not going to change that. All the changes seem great, or neutral at worst. The core gameplay of 2 got kind of stale to me after... 400+ hours.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

My memory is that Dodge was barely a thing in Payday 2 on release. I thought it came about when one of the DLCs introduced a perk deck that tied concealment to dodge chance. Sad to see my favorite build leave, though.

I'm loving the changes to stealth, and I'm cautiously optimistic on the rest. They have a vision for the game - I'm not necessarily sure I agree with it - but OK has also proven themselves to be incredibly flexible when it comes to changing things up if something isn't working. At least if Jules isn't running the show.

Edit: Not having concealment at all is kind of odd, unless they also don't plan to have armor? Maybe just a deployable armor case? Otherwise, it fails basic logic that a crowded bank wouldn't notice 4 people walk in wearing masks and riot gear.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 26, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah dodge wasn’t really viable until the update that added old hoxton and the fifth skill tree and it was extremely overpowered for a long time. considering concealment and armor based movement speed and such don’t seem to be a thing anymore in 3, and a much greater focus is being put on health and armor being a resource, i don’t really see a point in dodge existing anymore. but this is all coming from someone who haven’t played the game yet so i don’t know, no-one knows. maybe in 2025 the powercreep has fully started to take root and you need dodge-crit to beat the new ONE-HEALTH game mode

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dodge builds felt sketchy as poo poo at all times

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Some of those changes sound really good (doors) some of those changes seem pretty bad (grenade launcher being an abnormal weapon). I have trouble hyping myself up for games that haven't been released in general so we'll wait and see but most of that news has lowered my expectations from when all I knew was that they were doing a new engine.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
There was that one time where Clovers perk deck could have been build to still achieve a 50% dodge rate with LBV, letting you also carry 14 FAKs, with guns that let you have 4 concealment so you just had a coinflip on wether you lived or not through the mission.
Oh and it had Swan Song Ace, meaning every time your HP dropped to zero you just popped a FAK at your feet and lived again. Amazing stuff.

The game looks like a mix of the best parts of Payday 1 and 2, which is shocking to me that they decided to walk back a few steps. I guess some culling had to be done, I just hope we still get a lot of content over the years.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

EorayMel posted:

forcing extra objectives in a heist, like activating sprinklers when using thermite.

Doesn't thermite work underwater? :v:

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Kikas posted:

The game looks like a mix of the best parts of Payday 1 and 2, which is shocking to me that they decided to walk back a few steps. I guess some culling had to be done, I just hope we still get a lot of content over the years.

After every genius business move they made that caused them to go back to making payday 2 dlc after the White House finale, so long as Payday 3 doesn't actively give you a brain hemorrhage to play it's gonna get plenty of poo poo. We will look back at this post and laugh heartily.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm ready to give PD3 a go and am optimistic but:

All this goes against the design that made PD2 so different and fun. Fewer cops but they can each kill your rear end dead? Where's my power fantasy of mowing down the entire Cop Dimension every map? Where's the goofy-rear end melee weapons so I can beat someone with a selfie stick?

Gotta say though,

I'm actually fine with Gage coming back exclusively to sell DLC weapons, that seems like a fun niche for a character.

Having played PD2 for a while every year or two since the beta up until the white house ending, the power creep from launch is absurd, the game used to be way harder and it sounds like they're trying to bring that back. Which, I get it, their source material was much more "tactical" than jumping on top of a car and twirling in circles firing an MG42.

I got reminded about the humble bundle deal, if I already have most of the content up to the White House heist and buy the bundle, do I get to gift the extra stuff to someone who doesn't have it or does it disappear into the void?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i remember overkill being a difficulty i had to pay attention to. I loaded up recently, strapped on my gear and just laughed as i was functionally immune to the hordes of cops.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

dogstile posted:

Yeah i remember overkill being a difficulty i had to pay attention to. I loaded up recently, strapped on my gear and just laughed as i was functionally immune to the hordes of cops.

One of the first iterations of this thread was titled “standing in the street during an assault” because that was an insane and suicidal thing to do

It became the norm on anything short of max difficulty years ago

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Having played PD2 for a while every year or two since the beta up until the white house ending, the power creep from launch is absurd, the game used to be way harder and it sounds like they're trying to bring that back. Which, I get it, their source material was much more "tactical" than jumping on top of a car and twirling in circles firing an MG42.

I got reminded about the humble bundle deal, if I already have most of the content up to the White House heist and buy the bundle, do I get to gift the extra stuff to someone who doesn't have it or does it disappear into the void?

It depends on how the codes are set up, but probably not.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

dogstile posted:

Doesn't thermite work underwater? :v:

yeah its very cool stuff

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I really hope 3 doesn't end up taking the wacky power creep route that 2 did.

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015
Cautiously optimistic. I didn't like how the game went from "This is an FBI branch office, you really want to be quiet" to casual helicopter attacks on the White House, so dialing things back sounds great to me. Can't wait to see how they poison the well at launch with battle passes and poo poo.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

RAID: WW2 of all things got an update. I just find this strange that they're updating it again after such a dead period.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dynasty Warriors but cop shoot was fun to an extent but after a certain point the game became maddeningly repetitive for me in the exact same way as something like Destiny 2. It's fun to shoot the guns at the bad men, but then the game demands you do it infinitely, forever, for no real reason other than vague number go up.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

John Murdoch posted:

Dynasty Warriors but cop shoot was fun to an extent but after a certain point the game became maddeningly repetitive for me in the exact same way as something like Destiny 2. It's fun to shoot the guns at the bad men, but then the game demands you do it infinitely, forever, for no real reason other than vague number go up.

That said, Rats 2/Cook Off 2 in Payday 3 when.

Or would that cause the power creep to start up again.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Definitely not Rats. There was a time when doing the full cook was an actually difficult endurance run and not just effortlessly running around headshotting zombie cops. I still remember the old strats such as hiding under the meth table or in the little cubby at the top of the stairs.

You could argue Cookoff was the start of it, but I think that was just a symptom of the powercreep already setting in.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay so having not played any heists from the "C-Team adventures" like Border Crossing and Texas Heat storylines I decided to dive in and check out the most important parts of it - the music.

:stare: Holy poo poo I wasn't aware that we're in such good hands. I mean it's no Razormind or Ode to Greed (or Break the Rules, but nothing ever will be), but the tracks fit the theme perfectly, have great stealth sections and the assault ones make trigger happy for some Everheistin' Copstoppin'. Not gonna play them to avoid burnout before 3 tho, but wow, I was not expecting this. On The Road makes me think of a Bond song of all things, it's great.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, does the game demand it? Like I played for 1500 hours which I'd say is a lot more than the game was ever designed to bear, so I dunno that I can really complain too much about the game getting repetitive.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Kikas posted:

Okay so having not played any heists from the "C-Team adventures" like Border Crossing and Texas Heat storylines I decided to dive in and check out the most important parts of it - the music.

:stare: Holy poo poo I wasn't aware that we're in such good hands. I mean it's no Razormind or Ode to Greed (or Break the Rules, but nothing ever will be), but the tracks fit the theme perfectly, have great stealth sections and the assault ones make trigger happy for some Everheistin' Copstoppin'. Not gonna play them to avoid burnout before 3 tho, but wow, I was not expecting this. On The Road makes me think of a Bond song of all things, it's great.

yeah gustavo countinho is filling simon vilkunds shoes really well. he doesn’t quite reach the same peak but also people seem to forget just how many misses and forgettable songs there are in the game from the simon era

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOUheXC9ISg

Some good info and footage here. Combat looks really punchy now which I like.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tulip posted:

I mean, does the game demand it? Like I played for 1500 hours which I'd say is a lot more than the game was ever designed to bear, so I dunno that I can really complain too much about the game getting repetitive.

It does in the sense that high level play boils down to mulching through identical spawns of cops spawning from the same few areas every five seconds until the assault breaks or the objective says you can move. Some maps work a little differently for one reason or another, but a lot of them play more like Creeper World with blue lives in place of blue fluid.

A mix of power creep, AI changes, bad difficulty balance, and some other factors like the relatively high level of goon skill and weak map design led to a flavorless cop shoot slurry.

Like it's extremely telling that hostages are still seen as a joke to use for target practice; their entire mechanical purpose is at best a minor footnote and at worst outright anathema to how people approach the game.

Edit: A good example of what I mean is the incredibly dumb decision to make it so that there's just always two Bulldozers on the map. Kill them and the game instantly spawns two more. Outside of the incredibly short breathers when assaults break, at high difficulties you never gain any ground and there's relatively few meaningful decisions to make.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 1, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Now that I think of it, why haven't they hopped on the bandwagon and made a Payday flavored version of Vampire Survivors.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Six pixel tall Dallas throwing lead downrange on a procedurally generated bank

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This is the next/last video by the guy who did the previous video I posted showing off the new stealth mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4KYOlebHYY

Looks awesome, guards escorting you out if you get caught in a restricted area reminds me a lot of how it works in the new Hitman games.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

explosivo posted:

This is the next/last video by the guy who did the previous video I posted showing off the new stealth mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4KYOlebHYY

Looks awesome, guards escorting you out if you get caught in a restricted area reminds me a lot of how it works in the new Hitman games.

And now I want to do a "We're Going To Ask You To Leave"% run where I play as every character and deliberately get myself escorted off the property.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD9E5oqoxzc

Some more good details here. If this is annoying I'll stop, I'm not going to post about every one of these vids but there was a lot of new info here that has me pretty excited for the game.

-4 difficulties, normal/hard/v hard/overkill. Said veterans would probably start on v hard but you'll likely need some gear first. Overkill described as 'unfair'
-No auto HP regen, shields can regen, but only up to the segment of the bar you're at meaning if you lose one segment of armor you can only regen up to that point
-Enemies have the same HP between difficulties? They described this as a way to get around having friends who are too low level not being able to hang in higher difficulties which I have run into before so that's neat
-I guess the main difference between difficulties now is density of enemies and their accuracy, there will no longer be difficulty specific enemies
-When you get tazed you have a few seconds to shoot back and break it before you go into a full stun
-Cloakers are meant to be bigger assholes in this, can melt deployables with acid if left unprotected
-Want you to "respect the dozer again" in this, they can bullrush you and stun you and seem generally more aggressive
-Cops will use shield guys for protection more in this than they used to, will actually move as a unit making them a big problem if they have backup.
-Weapon mods have unlock paths a la COD meaning you unlock mods as you use that weapon.
-There will be special versions of weapons that have various mods pre-equipped and a fun paint job, using these gives you XP for the weapon and progression towards unlocks so you aren't missing out by using them
-Look at that dude's beard. Seriously.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

explosivo posted:

If this is annoying I'll stop
:justpost:

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD9E5oqoxzc

Some more good details here. If this is annoying I'll stop, I'm not going to post about every one of these vids but there was a lot of new info here that has me pretty excited for the game.

-4 difficulties, normal/hard/v hard/overkill. Said veterans would probably start on v hard but you'll likely need some gear first. Overkill described as 'unfair'
-No auto HP regen, shields can regen, but only up to the segment of the bar you're at meaning if you lose one segment of armor you can only regen up to that point
-Enemies have the same HP between difficulties? They described this as a way to get around having friends who are too low level not being able to hang in higher difficulties which I have run into before so that's neat
-I guess the main difference between difficulties now is density of enemies and their accuracy, there will no longer be difficulty specific enemies
-When you get tazed you have a few seconds to shoot back and break it before you go into a full stun
-Cloakers are meant to be bigger assholes in this, can melt deployables with acid if left unprotected
-Want you to "respect the dozer again" in this, they can bullrush you and stun you and seem generally more aggressive
-Cops will use shield guys for protection more in this than they used to, will actually move as a unit making them a big problem if they have backup.
-Weapon mods have unlock paths a la COD meaning you unlock mods as you use that weapon.
-There will be special versions of weapons that have various mods pre-equipped and a fun paint job, using these gives you XP for the weapon and progression towards unlocks so you aren't missing out by using them
-Look at that dude's beard. Seriously.

I like reading way more than watching videos, so I'm glad if you keep it up.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jim DiGriz posted:

I like reading way more than watching videos, so I'm glad if you keep it up.

Same.

Also drat that dude's beard looks soft. Inspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Have we got a dedicated Payday 3 thread yet started? I don't know the info well enough to do a good OP, but I'd like to get preparing, and hopefully building some community over on the Goon Kahuna Discord.