Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

As I get my paragon boards near completion it's kinda crazy how much dead space there is. Like there really aren't that decisions to make beyond do I want this rare node, and maybe 2/3 choices in what stat I get +5 in on the way there. It's really intimidating for nothing?

And the sorc paragon boards have everything super far apart and you basically just go for the sockets asap?

Looks like they're all arranged to force a choice between easy access to the good rare nodes, or the special nodes.

Some of the special nodes seem not very strong for the 12+ point investment to reach them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Doomykins posted:

I'm a big fan of Blizzard taking the time to give bandits a smoke bomb spawn animation but they can also use the "dig up out of the ground" spawn too. That's how humans work right, suffocating under six feet of solid stone until they burrow upwards to strike.

Pain of Mind posted:

A bunch of guys asking if they are the baddies as they hang out with giant spiders, zombies, and demons, waiting to attack some guy riding through on a horse.

i love this about the game. the juxtaposition between very intense suffering grimdark hellworld and the goofy nonsense presented entirely seriously is honestly one of my fav things about d4

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

American McGay posted:

Don’t listen to them. It’s a free 20% damage reduction across the board (assuming you’re already using cyclone armor). It isn’t a must-have but it’s kinda cool because it’s one of the few things that can buff other players which is a style I like playing and is pretty lacking in the game so far.

Yeah, when doing the campaign you should probably just go ahead and try every aspect that drops. Synergies aren't very important until later one, so just go ahead and try everything and see what works

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Verviticus posted:

i love this about the game. the juxtaposition between very intense suffering grimdark hellworld and the goofy nonsense presented entirely seriously is honestly one of my fav things about d4

I love that every tree stump, rock pile, or random crate across the world has gold in it just sitting there for the taking. Like gold is of no use to anyone in this world except you. Also killing a swarm of flies and having them drop some giant mace

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ex post facho posted:

I went Storm druid and now I regret it but I don't want to rebuild my loving paragon board again lol :saddowns:

I tried Storm at first, but I was just having too much issue with bosses when I was playing solo.

That, and I just can't give up plowing into a pile of enemies as a giant loving bear and Hulk-smashing them back to hell with Overpower damage.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

thiccabod posted:

I love that every tree stump, rock pile, or random crate across the world has gold in it just sitting there for the taking. Like gold is of no use to anyone in this world except you. Also killing a swarm of flies and having them drop some giant mace

this is just an arpg simplification but having a whole crew of bandits and cannibals ambush you at an off-road barricade by jumping straight out of the ground like zerg is genuinely incredible

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
bears in d4 just tunnel up from the earth below to fight you it rules

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

American McGay posted:

Don’t listen to them. It’s a free 20% damage reduction across the board (assuming you’re already using cyclone armor). It isn’t a must-have but it’s kinda cool because it’s one of the few things that can buff other players which is a style I like playing and is pretty lacking in the game so far.

yeah i instinctively like support abilities or group-friendly stuff tho i havent even done any partying in d4 yet. i've been using cyclone armor so this will definitely see use while leveling. just not very flashy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

bears in d4 just tunnel up from the earth below to fight you it rules

imo it's hosed up that plain regular bears get mixed up in your quest to kill all the demons

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

yeah i instinctively like support abilities or group-friendly stuff tho i havent even done any partying in d4 yet. i've been using cyclone armor so this will definitely see use while leveling. just not very flashy

It can also be used to apply vulnerable. Worth it for that alone imho.

It's no endgame setup, but I find that storm pairs pretty all right with a melee hybrid setup. Storm strike gives damage reduction, trample can regenerate spirit, cyclone armor and ravens can set vulnerable. So you end up weaving in and out as spirit dictates and you've got ravens to get dudes from further out, cyclone armor to wreck a pack that you gathered together, trample to make space and get a wee bit of spirit back. It's all been working for me pretty well. Plus lightning storm just looks and sounds awesome heh.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 26, 2023

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

imo it's hosed up that plain regular bears get mixed up in your quest to kill all the demons

and some of the bears are human players!

it's all very confusing to me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

I was helping a Druid chase some poachers that were killing bears and on the way to them I think I killed like 20 bears myself

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I was helping a Druid chase some poachers that were killing bears and on the way to them I think I killed like 20 bears myself

the druids are total failures as a society and everything bad that happens to them is deserved

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrVLOvJFtzM

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

smoobles posted:

the druids are total failures as a society and everything bad that happens to them is deserved

Counterpoint: chonky.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

smoobles posted:

one of the druid quests actually ends with dude being like "we have been negligent" yeah no poo poo bro, its nothing but werewolves and murder trees as far as the eyes can see...then drowned after that

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

idk how the economy works in Sanctuary, you can't go ten steps out of any town without a goatman eating your skin

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Leveled a necro to 35 yesterday. I hate how thick the miasma is from the corpse exploitation talent. I'm basically staring at health bars thru a black screen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DrBox posted:

Leveled a necro to 35 yesterday. I hate how thick the miasma is from the corpse exploitation talent. I'm basically staring at health bars thru a black screen.

Yeah it's super ridiculous and could use a patch because you can't see any other creature or AOE on-screen. However, it's also really funny.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
It's a bug, so it will be fixed sometime, probably.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

DrBox posted:

They've said that's getting directly addressed in this big balance patch coming any day now.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

kumba posted:

at this point my most limiting factor, of all things, is gold

the price of affix rerolls spirals out of control VERY loving quickly when trying to improve rolls

I have an ilvl 802 wand that's almost to three million gold per reroll. I am trying to roll critical strike damage on it--any amount. There are way too many mods that can roll onto items.

Items in Diablo III with a page-long list of mods were only class-specific off-hand items, but the resources to reroll with were plenty.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Name Change posted:

Yeah it's super ridiculous and could use a patch because you can't see any other creature or AOE on-screen. However, it's also really funny.

Pen Expers posted:

They've said that's getting directly addressed in this big balance patch coming any day now.

Beautiful! Thanks.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Star Man posted:

I have an ilvl 802 wand that's almost to three million gold per reroll. I am trying to roll critical strike damage on it--any amount. There are way too many mods that can roll onto items.

Items in Diablo III with a page-long list of mods were only class-specific off-hand items, but the resources to reroll with were plenty.

Same except a 803 crossbow where I need to swap a stat into vuln damage and it's up to 11 million gold.

For context, a similar crossbow (with all 4 good stats) sold for 70 million gold on the D4 discord the other day so it's prob worth it to keep rolling.

E: actually nevermind, from a purely EV standpoint it's definitely not worth it to keep rolling lol. There are way too many stats to roll into.

Don't make the mistake I did; do not upgrade your rare into a legendary until you're done rerolling it. It basically tripled the reroll cost

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 26, 2023

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Someone said earlier that the guy who came up with the resource burn modifier for nightmare dungeons should get a raise. Please add the guy who decided you should get 0 drops and 0 XP for the enemies you fight between levels in dungeons too, just amazing.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Same except a 803 crossbow where I need to swap a stat into vuln damage and it's up to 11 million gold.

For context, a similar crossbow (with all 4 good stats) sold for 70 million gold on the D4 discord the other day so it's prob worth it to keep rolling.

E: actually nevermind, from a purely EV standpoint it's definitely not worth it to keep rolling lol. There are way too many stats to roll into.

Don't make the mistake I did; do not upgrade your rare into a legendary until you're done rerolling it. It basically tripled the reroll cost

Ohhhh big brain. I feel dumb now.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
patch notes are coming blizzard soon™

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TjyvTompa posted:

Someone said earlier that the guy who came up with the resource burn modifier for nightmare dungeons should get a raise. Please add the guy who decided you should get 0 drops and 0 XP for the enemies you fight between levels in dungeons too, just amazing.
Blame the streamers, they were exploiting those rooms somehow for infinite elite packs. I’m pretty sure this was just a hotfix solution. If they’re still like that after the patch I’d be surprised.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Just ran my first T21 NM dungeon at level 64 and my goofy blight/CE build still works. I got shredded my first try in the mid-level room with like 6 elites all spawning directly on top of me but pretty much all of my equipment is still just sacred and stats/equip/aspects arent really optimized at all. I think it's probably eventually worth dropping my golem for blood mist since there are some really good shadow damage/aspect synergies, plus the extra survivability you get

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah one thing I didn't really get was that you can and should be getting into WT4 in the early 60s. You're going to be getting, at best, sidegrades from sacred weapons at that point and jumping up a tier doubles your experience and lets ancestrals start dropping. I was miserably grinding out dungeons for rep on WT3 and getting nothing but a whole bunch of mats and then I went to WT4 at 62 and all I get are upgrades.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

idiotsavant posted:

Just ran my first T21 NM dungeon at level 64 and my goofy blight/CE build still works. I got shredded my first try in the mid-level room with like 6 elites all spawning directly on top of me but pretty much all of my equipment is still just sacred and stats/equip/aspects arent really optimized at all. I think it's probably eventually worth dropping my golem for blood mist since there are some really good shadow damage/aspect synergies, plus the extra survivability you get

The community wisdom rn is the optimal way to do NM dungeons is your level -51. So you should be in Tier 13. I think that tier of dungeons is wt3 only though. So do helltides until you’re better geared I guess if you don’t want to drop down.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Tokubetsu posted:

The community wisdom rn is the optimal way to do NM dungeons is your level -51. So you should be in Tier 13.

lol yeah i trash t13s, just wanted to push the build a little and get a feel for end-game viability. It still feels super strong and i think once i get my aspects fully sorted and potentially switch over to blood mist it can go the distance. I ended up swapping out Army of the Dead for Bone Storm with the aspect that turns it into a shadow skill and it fuckin melts everything

edit: kind of a pain in the rear end to write up builds but its basically

blight (1/5) + enhanced blight + paranormal blight as main attack
bone golem taunt w/ corpse shedding on secondary attack
raise skel first skill (reavers w/ corpse gen, cold mage with essence gen)
corpse explo 2nd skill (5/5 + enhanced + blighted)
corpse tendrils 3rd skill (1/5 + enhanced + plagued)
bone storm ult (full chain)
Shadowblight key passive

Passives are max corpse generation, max corpse essence/corpse dmg, max skel + mage + golem hp/dmg, max shadow passives except 1 point only in stun, max fortify from corpse, max close dmg/dr, and 2 points in minion heal + max in minion dmg reduction per hit

if i switch it ill drop the golem for blood mist as a secondary, and potentially put the golem points into heal minions with blood orbs maybe?

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 26, 2023

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Tokubetsu posted:

The community wisdom rn is the optimal way to do NM dungeons is your level -51. So you should be in Tier 13. I think that tier of dungeons is wt3 only though. So do helltides until you’re better geared I guess if you don’t want to drop down.

No, I think if they can beat t21 they should do t21

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
debating teaming up with a mate of a similar level to do the lvl 70 capstone but i dont really wanna hit world tier 4 and be underpowered for it, is that a real thing if youre not being actively carried or is it a threshold of survivability more than damage potential

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

debating teaming up with a mate of a similar level to do the lvl 70 capstone but i dont really wanna hit world tier 4 and be underpowered for it, is that a real thing if youre not being actively carried or is it a threshold of survivability more than damage potential

If you are underpowered for t4 just drop down to t3. If you can beat the capstone, do it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i beat the capstone at 62 or 63 and wt4 is fine. you might get dumped on if you run into a full elite pack but if you can clear elias you should be able to kill stuff in wt4 just dandy

world boss fights are meh because the grand caches they drop are level 80 but other than that and pushing NM levels its not a problem

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
It's wild how different my experience is as Bone Spear vs Minion Blood Surge when fighting the Butcher. Shred him in seconds vs Slowly Die As I Run Out Of Resources And Corpses. Oh well, I knew this build was gonna be much worse but wanted to see how it played. At least my Black River finally dropped for when BCE is visually usable.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i guess i just like the idea of an exam dungeon so to speak and part of the appeal for both of us doing it is so we can power level alt characters to mess around with but if its going to be signifigantly easier with two of us that defeats the purpose

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
its a bullshit boss, just get through it however you can. his AoE circle explosion attack has terrible not-very-fair telegraphing and one shots you; maybe grinding out another 20 paragon levels would help but gently caress that noise. I got him to 15% on my first run-through and then died like 15 times; resetting paragon into a full damage node instead of the previous life node and using a demon dmg potion to clear adds did the trick - i ended up just burning him down super hard as fast as piossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Idk what build you're running but I did with an arc lash sorc at like 64 with okay gear. He hit like a truck but if you mostly avoid and maybe have barrier skills/gear you should be fine.