Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Give the players an 70% share of the revenue, drop the super max to 20% salary cap. Let all who ball prosper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

How dire is Phoenix’s fill out the rest of the roster situation?

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1673365594635382784?s=20

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Metapod posted:

They're finally accepting dame will get traded let them cope

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The NBA as constructed has the least amount of Parity of any major sport when it comes to who wins championships.

Any given season there are roughly like 4 teams that have any shot at winning a title.

Occasionally a team surprises, but yeah.

The NBA is like the most have/have not league already.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Give the players an 70% share of the revenue, drop the super max to 20% salary cap. Let all who ball prosper.

Hmm I will accept this.

Honestly gently caress it make it a player owned league

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s mostly the result of roster spots/talent scarcity though. I would hate if it got titled even more to superteams with huge budgets

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Take the Warriors. They are not a traditional powerhouse, like at all. Yea they’re a dynasty now but their FO is a bunch of fart huffers who got lucky. When that dynasty is over they’re going to get as much attention as the Spurs post Duncan and pre Wemby

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Hell the loving Cavs, Bucks, Dallas, Heat, Denver, Detroit in the 2000’s, Milwaukee, all these teams. NBA rules why the hell would you want to see NY and LA every year

Edit: Chicago, Houston, list just keeps going. gently caress Boston too btw

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
It's not like the current ownership groups of teams are the only rich people interested in owing basketball teams, nor the richest. I'd rather see more teams owned by groups willing to spend than have an MLB situation where a bunch of the owners are unbelievable cheapskates milking fan nostalgia with their poo poo product (yes, I do know a lot of Oakland A's fans, why do you ask).

Re: the Warriors, their ownership is nowhere near the richest in the NBA. They got lucky with drafting (and an improbably favorable cap hike/free agency situation), and as a result their franchise skyrocketed in value. Reinvesting some of that windfall in talent (especially drafted talent) is a much better use of the money than pocketing it imo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Best way to stop superteams is to like make it so teams can actually pay players what they are worth and not artificially capping their pay. The best players realized that if they are gonna get a max anyway, and their shoe deals and whatever else pay more than their NBA salaries, they go where it's fun, or they can take advantage of other opportunities.

Talent is still gonna always consolidate. It's just now owners are able to be cheap while letting it consolidate into a handful of teams.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Go Cavs

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

i am a moron posted:

It’s mostly the result of roster spots/talent scarcity though. I would hate if it got titled even more to superteams with huge budgets

Yeah I don't see how you increase parity given how big of a difference one player makes. No other major sport has a single player making that much of a swing, with the possible exception of football but then only for QBs.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Dexo posted:

Best way to stop superteams is to like make it so teams can actually pay players what they are worth

I don’t think this is going to turn out the way you’re hypothesizing. Like at all.

The rest of what you’re saying isn’t really true - teams can very organically come together through the draft that have championship windows. It’s also true that free agency and player leverage allows some of that to happen, but we literally just saw a championship team break through without it. Edit: and the Warriors would still have some championships even if they’re ring chasers werent, like, Iggy

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1673078027645861891?s=19

Jesus Christ

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
go big AND go home, go wolves :3:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

When the NBA zigs, you zag

- the ghost of David Kahn

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
if its bad idea post time, i propose removing all drug testing. i want stimmed up space marines playing basketball

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

NO! NO! NOT THIS GUY!!!!!!
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1673386654373928960?s=20

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I'm pretty sure the reason Brooklyn made Bridges "untouchable" in negotiations with Portland is their desire to trade for Dame.

The Nets were only 11-18 (I think) after the Durant trade, but they don't seem interested in a rebuild. Dame is a top-3, by some measurements the best, offensive player in the league. The Nets are easily a contender in a weak eastern conference. I could see the compromise being the Blazers take back Simmons contract rather than the good role players to help Dame with the Nets. It times out to where the Blazers will have a lot of cap space before the Scoot / Sharpe extensions to sign the supporting pieces (or trade for one using Simmons expiring next year).

I still think the Blazers will re-sign Grant, ship Simons + Little + Stuff for a wing or big, sign another good piece with the MLE, and give it the start of the year. Scoot is an incredible prospect and if he clicks with Dame early then the Blazers window opens up again.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

finally, lauri's gonna have some help

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Dexo posted:

Alternatively, you loving spend money to compete, sell your loving team to someone who will, Or you get good at finding players.

Literally the entire league becomes Cali, Texas, New York and Florida with 8 teams each. See: the concentration of teams in every single Euro soccer league where money rules.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: this reminds me last year when some Atlanta Hawks beat writer or blogger or whoever came on a Kings pod and said Collins + #14 for Barnes + #4 was a fair deal because #14 was about as good as Barnes and Collins was about as good as #4

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rudy Gay is still on the books wtf

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Dexo posted:

Best way to stop superteams is to like make it so teams can actually pay players what they are worth and not artificially capping their pay. The best players realized that if they are gonna get a max anyway, and their shoe deals and whatever else pay more than their NBA salaries, they go where it's fun, or they can take advantage of other opportunities.

Talent is still gonna always consolidate. It's just now owners are able to be cheap while letting it consolidate into a handful of teams.

My solution to this problem is to have one designated roster spot per team that does not count towards the salary cap. Lets at least the top players get their actual value and prevents super teams because all the best players are going to want to be on their own team so they can get the big, big bucks.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

apparently the reason why John Collins can't shoot anymore is because of his finger

seriously, google John Collins finger. I'm not posting that because it's some dire stuff

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ChickenMedium posted:

My solution to this problem is to have one designated roster spot per team that does not count towards the salary cap. Lets at least the top players get their actual value and prevents super teams because all the best players are going to want to be on their own team so they can get the big, big bucks.

This is an idea I don't hate.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

ChickenMedium posted:

imagine how much worse Beals contract could be.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Probably a dumb idea but I’ve always felt if you have a players bird rights you should be able to pay them them whatever but only a % of the salary (say 75%) counts towards cap.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Calidus posted:

imagine how much worse Beals contract could be.

Beal's contract(when he's healthy) is probably around right. It's the like Luka's, Durant's, Steph's, Lebron's, Davis's etc etc who are getting hosed on getting paid what they are actually worth, as far as what they are bringing to a team.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Do the Jazz actually have any roster need for a John Collins or is this purely a Danny Ainge wheeling and dealing special?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I always felt like John Collins got unfairly scapegoated in Atlanta (until he forgot how to shoot this past season) but I don't really understand a team with Lauri Markkanen trading for him

I guess the price is cheap enough that it doesn't really matter though

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Danny Ainge's entire thing is collecting a bunch of role players that some championship team might eventually want, to fleece that team, and then use the spoils from that fleecing to build the team.

it would not shock me if he flips Collins/Lauri/others this trade deadline for more younger promising prospects/picks

edit vvvvv:

Or yeah like below, tries to fleece some team and fails.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Collins is about to be the centerpiece of 5-10 Danny Ainge "Godfather" Offers

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Papes posted:

Probably a dumb idea but I’ve always felt if you have a players bird rights you should be able to pay them them whatever but only a % of the salary (say 75%) counts towards cap.

Bird Rights should mean the player's salary is determined by Larry Bird

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

the question is not if we will find out about wacky trades the jazz could make with collins, but who is the best player they will insist they almost had

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Papes posted:

I could see it working where the player could sign for whatever amount, but the hit to the salary cap is whatever a normal "max" contract would be for that player. That salary cap number is what is used for when that player is traded. It would also mean that, if the player is traded, they would no longer get that money above the salary cap number, so they lose big bucks if traded. One player with this chad-max per team, non-transferable, comes with NTC.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

pseudodragon posted:

Literally the entire league becomes Cali, Texas, New York and Florida with 8 teams each. See: the concentration of teams in every single Euro soccer league where money rules.

Yeah, no cap feels like an invitation to what happens in MLB. It was my first love as a sport but after watching my beloved Twins basically end up as part of the farm system for the top teams, I gave up on following them day to day.

I have no doubt that such a system would be better for the few players for whom a supermax contract is underpaying and for bigger market teams but if the NBA ever went in that direction, I would seriously question why, as a small to medium market fan I would ever get invested in a team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

rare Magic card l00k posted:

the question is not if we will find out about wacky trades the jazz could make with collins, but who is the best player they will insist they almost had

Calling my shot, rumors about KAT being available, and like Utah being in those talks with Collins or Lauri.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The draft should not exist in a salary cap league imo. Get rid of it, and also in the NHL and also the NFL and also get rid of the NFL.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kibner posted:

I could see it working where the player could sign for whatever amount, but the hit to the salary cap is whatever a normal "max" contract would be for that player. That salary cap number is what is used for when that player is traded. It would also mean that, if the player is traded, they would no longer get that money above the salary cap number, so they lose big bucks if traded. One player with this chad-max per team, non-transferable, comes with NTC.

Nah, I don't like the idea of players not getting paid money they were promised, Something more along the lines of you trade a player they get paid everything, but the extra money is no longer off the cap.

It puts the onus on the team's trading for the cap exception player to have the space, and makes them feel the pain and deal with the consequences.

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, no cap feels like an invitation to what happens in MLB. It was my first love as a sport but after watching my beloved Twins basically end up as part of the farm system for the top teams, I gave up on following them day to day.

I have no doubt that such a system would be better for the few players for whom a supermax contract is underpaying and for bigger market teams but if the NBA ever went in that direction, I would seriously question why, as a small to medium market fan I would ever get invested in a team.

Owner problem, not the problem of paying players what they are worth.

Nationals Owners are rich as gently caress and their asses still trade away their good players. A's ownership isn't poor and they are out here spending pennies. Reinsdorf is also rich as gently caress but runs his team as if he's in loving Des Moines, Iowa.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The draft should not exist in a salary cap league imo. Get rid of it, and also in the NHL and also the NFL and also get rid of the NFL.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Bird Rights should mean the player's salary is determined by Larry Bird

And when he dies, teams use a basketball theme Ouija board with little hoop paperweight as the planchette