Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nitr0 posted:

Fibre is always going to be better because you’re not dealing with copper anywhere. It’s all light. Theoretically your speeds are unlimited, and trials are happening now for 50G PON. That would be 50 gig to your house.

Wait another 5 years, and 100G might exist over PON.

DOCSIS has a limit, and will fall farther out of a favour as the years go by.

I like to imagine the when you upgrade your fibre speed a message gets vacuum-tubed to an Oompa Loompa in the ISP’s basement who goes to the big dial labeled ‘speed’ and turns it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

The biggest downside to DOCSIS is it can't have fast symmetrical upload the way FTTH can.

10 Gbps down/6 Gbps up is what I'm seeing for 4.0. I'm guessing that's still shared and individual subscribers would be seeing like 1 or 2 Gbps down, like with 3.1 which looks to have the same downstream maximum, going off of Wikipedia.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zergstain posted:

10 Gbps down/6 Gbps up is what I'm seeing for 4.0. I'm guessing that's still shared and individual subscribers would be seeing like 1 or 2 Gbps down, like with 3.1 which looks to have the same downstream maximum, going off of Wikipedia.

The upstream is very difficult to achieve in practice. You need to reserve a significant amount of spectrum for it and it is very sensitive to interference. In practice, no provider bothers. FTTH will always be better and cheaper.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DOCSIS 4.0 is just DOCSIS 3.1 with all channels dedicated to it by phasing out other uses of bandwidth like multicast television channels. There's also the matter of those higher throughput speeds needing higher order QAM which becomes more susceptible to interference and line quality like EoRaptor says. It's more likely in practice that the FTTH buildout will be complete before you're going to get those max rated speeds over DOCSIS.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

As far as I can tell nobody has implemented DOCSIS 4.0 except in limited trials, so I don't know how one can say no provider bothers with high upstream bandwidth.

Anyway, what matters is what's available where I live, which is neither right now. It looks like DOCSIS 4.0 should be done by the end of 2025, but I have no idea if FTTH would be available before then. But I'm not holding my breath.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
loving the high quality installs that bells doing these days, comes with a new ornamental display in the middle of my front yard

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

lmaoooo

Nice.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
congrats on owning a yard in canada

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kazinsal posted:

I wish I was a multimillionaire too... :sigh:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

he rents the yard

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Jesus, he's a landlord too?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Hey, that's valuable real estate that could be generating revenue! Plenty of space to plant a pup tent down to rent out as an AirBNB for $300 a night.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

I wish I was a multimillionaire too... :sigh:

:rolleyes:

you should see how much i charge the groundhogs

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Kazinsal posted:

The Crown still gets mining rights to anything under the yard, so they only own a few feet of dirt underneath the yard.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Anyone have experience with 100mbps uploads that shaw now is offering? I know from experience back when they offered 10mbps uploads that if someone saturated the upload on the connection it would kill the connection quality for everybody (lost packets, high ping, etc.). Still wondering if that is the case.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Teksavvy is selling itself apparently, sigh. Of course just after we switched. Oxio, TSI and start all gone now, datacaps and other nonsense will likely make a comeback with no independents left. The CRTC is beyond frustrating.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
To whom? Do you have a link to the announcement?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I've never had a problem with Telus other than pre-fibre-era VDSL bonding fuckery. Shaw I had constant problems with because their CMTSes were crap, their modems were crap, and the coax wiring even in houses that were only 10 years old at the time was universally crap. I can't imagine any reason I would go with a TPIA.

Maybe the GVRD is some miracle of telecommunications infrastructure.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

To whom? Do you have a link to the announcement?
They're just for sale so far - https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-teksavvy-for-sale-internet-provider/

Edit: non-paywalled https://archive.is/qfn4r

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Thanks, I just looked that up but I wasn't sure if I was missing anything

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It really sucks that all the smaller ISPs are getting eaten, but on the flip side it also seems like Internet services have gotten so fast from the big 3 that all their bullshit anti-piracy DPI stuff they did isn't really sustainable anymore so their services are a lot more better than when I used TekSavvy/Start. I'll miss their services actually acknowledging the use of third party network gear, lol.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Worst part about TSI is that they've been really trying to get Fibre in their area (chattam, etc). It was rolling up to my inlaws apartment soon(tm), and now I fear they're going to be stuck on that stupid bell cell phone internet forever.

I also was just looking at oxio, and then saw that they got bought by cogego, so blaarg.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Less Fat Luke posted:

It really sucks that all the smaller ISPs are getting eaten, but on the flip side it also seems like Internet services have gotten so fast from the big 3 that all their bullshit anti-piracy DPI stuff they did isn't really sustainable anymore so their services are a lot more better than when I used TekSavvy/Start. I'll miss their services actually acknowledging the use of third party network gear, lol.

We looked into Bell since they have 3gbit symmetrical in our area but it requires the use of their Homehub v4 and the SFP module is not removable. Apparently you can do a workaround with PPPoE passthru but I would rather not rely on that and it probably slows everything down.

I'm more worried about Cogeco/Rogers/etc turning the screws on price or nickle and diming on caps again. When we were with Cogeco they gave us three price increases in just two years before I finally got pissed off and switched, that was with some actual competition too.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 23, 2023

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I've stayed at 1gbps up/down just to keep the HH3000 in a closet and use the SFP in my own equipment. And agreed on the prices being exorbitant.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kazinsal posted:

I've never had a problem with Telus other than pre-fibre-era VDSL bonding fuckery. Shaw I had constant problems with because their CMTSes were crap, their modems were crap, and the coax wiring even in houses that were only 10 years old at the time was universally crap. I can't imagine any reason I would go with a TPIA.

Maybe the GVRD is some miracle of telecommunications infrastructure.

Extremely happy with my Telus fibre install, they ran it in the air from the pole so no yard mutilation required!

Seems way better than Shaw too just from.the latency and haven't had any dropouts yet whereas my Shaw modem would require a reboot every month or so it seemed like.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

We looked into Bell since they have 3gbit symmetrical in our area but it requires the use of their Homehub v4 and the SFP module is not removable. Apparently you can do a workaround with PPPoE passthru but I would rather not rely on that and it probably slows everything down.

I'm more worried about Cogeco/Rogers/etc turning the screws on price or nickle and diming on caps again. When we were with Cogeco they gave us three price increases in just two years before I finally got pissed off and switched, that was with some actual competition too.

id love to have had the removable sfp module but the pppoe works great, honestly. the new hubs have a 10gbe port out, too

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

id love to have had the removable sfp module but the pppoe works great, honestly. the new hubs have a 10gbe port out, too

Appreciate the feedback, it doesn't severely slow things down? I saw some people complaining on dslreports (which still exists!) that they were getting awful speeds with PPPoE passthru.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

Appreciate the feedback, it doesn't severely slow things down? I saw some people complaining on dslreports (which still exists!) that they were getting awful speeds with PPPoE passthru.

I have ppoe, pass through that homehub, works like a charm, 3GB full speed (using the official console speedtest client). Nothing is slowed down 1 bit. My gateway is running OpenBSD and using some dual port Intel 10G card from EBay (using the ix driver).

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Gunslinger posted:

There's no performance hit for using PPPoE passthrough on the HomeHub 4000. The 3000 had issues, and still does, but as a new subscriber you won't get it. Recently, some 3rd party X-GPON devices in both SFP+ and standalone appeared that can be modified to imitate a valid homehub mac address and authenticate on Bells network. You can then use your own PPPoE device to get connected.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

yeah as others have mentioned i have no appreciable slowdown. now, i do have 1.5 but hooked up to a gigabit router so after protocol overhead i’m limited to ~950 up/down, but.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
What's the likelihood after consolidation Telus and Rogers will go back to their fuckers days. Getting dicked around by them back in university has put a bad taste in my mouth and even blazing fast internet isn't going to wash that out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MasterBuilder posted:

What's the likelihood after consolidation Telus and Rogers will go back to their fuckers days. Getting dicked around by them back in university has put a bad taste in my mouth and even blazing fast internet isn't going to wash that out.

lol go back? i cancelled rogers yesterday and somehow my final bill is doubled when i log in lol

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

MasterBuilder posted:

100%. Basically all smaller independent ISP's have gone. You have maybe 12 left scattered throughout the country, but nothing super large. Now it's the Rogers, Telus and Bell show. You can guarantee the fuckery will be huge.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

100%. Basically all smaller independent ISP's have gone. You have maybe 12 left scattered throughout the country, but nothing super large. Now it's the Rogers, Telus and Bell show. You can guarantee the fuckery will be huge.

Guys, I'm sure if it was a problem the crtc or competition bureau would have said something. :rolleyes:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Competition bureau needs competition is the root of the problem.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Coxswain Balls posted:

How is SaskTel doing these days? I haven't heard much from them since CCPA's paper on comparing them with MTS after they were privatized but before the Bell purchase. From everything I've heard MTS continues to get worse.

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/publications/Manitoba%20Office/2015/06/Parables%20of%20Privatization.pdf

CCPA just put out another report about how Bell's purchase of MTS has been going for workers and customers, along with some decent history of public telecoms in the country. In it they touch on how the Rogers/Shaw deal is going to shake out, and also how SaskTel still manages to be doing fine despite being the only public telecom left. Somehow they manage to have the cheapest rates despite having the lowest population density in the country, the excuse that always gets trotted out about why our bills are so high.

I knew about Filmon being on the board of MTS after he got voted out, but I didn't realize he also got a position in a firm that was authorized to sell MTS shares when they went private. Our current premier also worked for the same firm.

https://policyalternatives.ca/publications/reports/whom-bell-tolls

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

mediaphage posted:

loving the high quality installs that bells doing these days, comes with a new ornamental display in the middle of my front yard

I've seen two separate blocks with Rogers-tagged cable strung along trees and eventually snaking to the side of a house.

Nitr0 posted:

Condo dwellers might be lucky enough to have Beanfield or Fibrestream, but with the former my advertised speeds are absolutely not consistent. I've got a ticket in, but would probably put up with them regardless for not needing to haggle. Bell keeps sending me flyers due to the one week I was a customer here, and they explicitly state the discounts expire after two years. That alone should be evidence that their normal pricing is not representative of their true costs and they're just price gouging.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 25, 2023

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

I've seen two separate blocks with Rogers-tagged cable strung along trees and eventually snaking to the side of a house.

We've got that all over my neighborhood, it looks like a giant spider that weaves coax has gone through. (Because the Bell fiber installers hosed up a lot of underground coax and Rogers has been doing bandaid fixes until they can dig up and fix the underground lines. Let them fight.)

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Just for reference.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Just for reference.

Op should add that to the first post