Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Arist posted:

The Ifrit vs. Garuda music literally starts with the relevant leitmotif from XIV, lmao

I marked out hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah forgot about that FF14 Garuda music isn't really one that sticks in my head much

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
The 2nd hideaway track sounds like something made for a new 14 expansion town

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
One thing that surprised me was that I found (FFXVI big bad spoiler, at least at the end of act 1?) Ultima's affect and design to be genuinely creepy.

When he says, "You will know what it is to burn" it's incredibly unnerving, at least to me for some reason, I think because he talks like a robot butler

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Lmao

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1673101179096805376?s=46&t=sMEJm3FF71gLqKjbQZ89kQ

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cid is the man

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Okay I have completed the FFXV1 demo and can officially say this is not for me. I very very quickly started skipping cutscenes and I knew I would never be able to get through this game when I skipped 5 in a row.

The twenty minutes of gameplay that wasn’t running forward five feet to the next cutscene was pretty decent but the demo, at least, shows off some pretty but simplistic, easy combat and the glorified quick time boss fight possibly nearly killed my PS5 because the frame rate was cratering down to like sub 10 FPS.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Holy poo poo this game.

That Geruda fight. The whole drat thing. Oh my god.

The whole time I just kept yelling “how am I doing this??!!”

The combat was nearly too button busy at first but it’s really clicking now and kind of insane how furious it gets.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aipsh posted:

… possibly nearly killed my PS5 because the frame rate was cratering down to like sub 10 FPS.

It’s got a vacuum port for a reason, clean out your poo poo bro.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

man nurse posted:

The design of 16 feels dated in a way that it could easily be a PS2 game if not for the technical prowess on display. It’s actually kind of refreshing. Hell, I’m here for it, game whips.

Just waiting on the patch for motion blur toggle and we’ll be gravy. It’s very bad in graphics mode lol.

Considering the last two huge AAA games I beat were Ragnarok and HFW… yeah. I agree. It’s been kind of jarring. It’s a very dated feeling game. And dated looking, sometimes. The regular cutscenes are awesome for sure but the side quest chats/non full cutscenes have animation and lip syncing that makes OG Horizon conversations look like future gen tech. Even the game design seems like it’s completely ignoring any advancements that the big Sony exclusives have made. The gamefeel while walking around feels quite dated to me as well. It’s got a lack of weight and physical grounding in the world that took me a while to get into. I still don’t love it but it works.

That said, I do actually appreciate that about the game in a way. Dated stuff is cool. gently caress trends. Do whatever the hell you want but you better do it with intention and I’d say the FFXVI devs have done that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kilometers Davis posted:

That said, I do actually appreciate that about the game in a way. Dated stuff is cool. gently caress trends. Do whatever the hell you want but you better do it with intention and I’d say the FFXVI devs have done that.

:hai:

It feels like playing a PS2 game and it’s a drat good one. Big ol’ middle finger to the “old game design is inherently bad” crowd.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So which PS2 game is FF16 like?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mr Hootington posted:

yes

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I barely finished GoW2018 and I stopped playing Ragnarok after the forced Atreus section.

I don't really have any criticism for these games. They just don't grab me the same way FFXVI does.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Mr Hootington posted:

Drakengard

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Mr Hootington posted:

All of them. Yes even that one.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mr Hootington posted:

Final Approach 2: 1st Priority

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mr Hootington posted:

ESPN NFL 2K5

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Devil May Cry 3

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I wish that summoning the chocobo just put you on the chocobo

You can’t do anything else except mount it so why make me do more work

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Clearly I was meaning it feels exactly like Mr. Mosquito, I’m embarassed for you that I even needed to point this out, smdh

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

History Comes Inside! posted:

I wish that summoning the chocobo just put you on the chocobo

You can’t do anything else except mount it so why make me do more work

Holding to dismount gets old when you're grinding ap from mobs too

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dewgy posted:

:hai:

It feels like playing a PS2 game and it’s a drat good one. Big ol’ middle finger to the “old game design is inherently bad” crowd.

I’m generally of that crowd but mostly in terms of quality of life, controls, difficulty, etc. FFXVI isn’t quite as dated in those ways which is a great thing!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The little musical sting when you mount the chocobo is such a tease lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

It's basically what you get if you put Devil May Cry 3 and Final Fantasy 12 in a blender and hit the smoothie button

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Harrow posted:

It's basically what you get if you put Devil May Cry 3 and Final Fantasy 12 in a blender and hit the smoothie button

Including gambits?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Including gambits?

Sadly those got left out though I suppose the rings that automate parts of the combat system could be seen as a distant relative

(actually if I was comparing it to games in general, not just PS2 ones, it's DMC3 + FF14)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Including gambits?

There's nothing of FF12's combat, but the overarching plot is similarly grand and political. And wandering the openish area surrounding Martha's Rest gave me strong flashbacks to running around Giza Plains

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is a lot more spoilery but while I'm using blenders as a metaphor, the actual main plot basically blends together my three favorite FFs to a pretty hilarious degree: it's like 6, 9, and 12 all mixed together.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cid has some Balthier vibes too.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Did anyone say chocobo in FF7R? I swear this is the first time I'm hearing VAs pronounce it and it's giving me psychic damage. How is that first O short cmon. Makes these stinky beasts of burden sound like a candy bar

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

acksplode posted:

Did anyone say chocobo in FF7R? I swear this is the first time I'm hearing VAs pronounce it and it's giving me psychic damage. How is that first O short cmon. Makes these stinky beasts of burden sound like a candy bar

It has been pronounced since FFX

It is supposed to. Thr name was inspired by a candy called Chocolate Ball.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

acksplode posted:

They say it the correct way I always said it growing up, not the wrong way characters so it in the other games.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

acksplode posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cql5SdouOc8

acksplode
May 17, 2004

<through gritted teeth> Alright Then. Fine

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

First they take away Aeris, then they try to make everybody sound like a moron with Tee-dus, now they're taking away long-o chocobos, too? When will this madness end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Really hosed up how they pronounce Clive as "Clivvy" too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

acksplode posted:

FFX was the first game where they said "chocobo" aloud pretty sure. What's interesting is that they've been saying it with a long o (like "no") instead of like "chocolate" up until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

First they take away Aeris, then they try to make everybody sound like a moron with Tee-dus, now they're taking away long-o chocobos, too? When will this madness end.