Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

doesnt have the dawg in him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

EorayMel posted:

Still laughing at Putin claiming the bystanders taking pictures at Rostov supported the constitutional order

Not just taking pictures, some of those scenes looked like adoring crowds

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Splorange posted:

It was all a CIA plot. Time to purge EVERYONE!

All I care about is that all three bigs are making separate statements in separate places at non coordinated times about how everyone is pals now.

Where’s the photo of everyone shaking hands (not smiling because in glorious ROSSIYA only mental defectives smile).

Who was the dude in the thread saying Boyar Z will outlive Putin? I may take that action.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
for the new page, the speech can be summed up as this

quote:

A short summary of Putin's speech: "Prigozhin is an enemy and a traitor, the Wagnerites are lost souls, they can return and sign a contract with the Moscow Region, the rebellion would have been won anyway."

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

for the new page, the speech can be summed up as this

This is great for Putin.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

its funny that putin had to give this speech at all. can you loving imagine joe biden going on national tv and saying "the people handing out water and food to Blackwater mercenaries in the streets of Dallas definitely supported our constitutional order"

So what happens next is purges, purges and maybe some purges at MoD, and in the meanwhile the war in Ukraine keeps going as it has before, but with without any of the Wagner or Wagner-aligned veterans?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh and Prigozhin says hi everybody

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

So what happens next is purges, purges and maybe some purges at MoD, and in the meanwhile the war in Ukraine keeps going as it has before, but with without any of the Wagner or Wagner-aligned veterans?

its already happening, there is a video going around lots of social media showing loyalist VDV executing another paratrooper who supported the coup.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1673410921811570695?s=20

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

And if the ZPP reactors had been turned back on, it would be externally verifiable. The IAEA is monitoring the situation and have seen no indications of the reactors going critical again (critical meaning actively fissioning for those not in the know). Its hard to hide a reactor that is operating, they generate tons of heat/steam.

So at worst Russia blows up the plant, spreads a bunch of contamination but nothing that can't really be dealt with, it would be bad, and a mess, but nothing like Chernobyl where, effectively, the reactor was still going even after self-destructing, actively reacting for weeks and releasing those decay products into the air due to the fuel and moderator being mixed into the rubble as they burned due to the graphite and heat from the fission

Yup. But given their willingness to do so, it will piss off the EU and I hope the US would also basically make it a real red line.

The plant has been in cold shutdown since September, except for one unit, which was left in warm shutdown so it could be used for district heating next winter. When the dam blew they shut it down too. So there's one unit hotter than the others.

e: source: https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/06/nova-kakhovka-ukraine-dam-collapse-zaporizhzhia-nuclear-plant-iaea

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 26, 2023

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
What does Belarus get out of this deal?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HonorableTB posted:

its already happening, there is a video going around lots of social media showing loyalist VDV executing another paratrooper who supported the coup.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1673410921811570695?s=20

If Prigozhin isn't killed by Putin, he will be killed by his own men for hanging them out to dry like that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yeah it would seem this new ZNPP explosion news is either bullshit or not happening yet .

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

BoldFace posted:

Jack and poo poo. The question is, what does Lukasjenko get out of this?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

BoldFace posted:

A new coach for their army gymnastics propaganda videos!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BoldFace posted:

A hotdog stand

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah it would seem this new ZNPP explosion news is either bullshit or not happening yet .

It would be beyond bad if the ZNPP blew up so I'm fine with this one remaining a rumor

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

mobby_6kl posted:

A hotdog stand

A hot dog friend :unsmith:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

None of this is making any sense at all. Prigozhin folded like a wet blanket for a completely bullshit deal. WTF even was the point of this in the first place?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I have significant hope Luka says something he shouldn't during his comments at least.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

its funny that putin had to give this speech at all. can you loving imagine joe biden going on national tv and saying "the people handing out water and food to Blackwater mercenaries in the streets of Dallas definitely supported our constitutional order"

Also it's important to note that the choice given to Wagner fighters that rebelled is sign a contract with MoD, return home, or be exiled to Belarus.

“We let Blackwater take Dallas and Nashville because frankly they suck. Anyway, if any Blackwater solders want to join the Marine Corps hey man come on down we would love to have ya.”

“Everyone in the Knoxville Department of Public Works who tore up I-40 and parked their garbage trucks to block the exits is getting the Congressional Medal of Honor.”

“Blackwater listen up! Join us or be sent to Manitoba, it’s not cool. Don’t be deceived by Guy Fieri and his punk rear end Flavortown elite. Fieri tricked you, there is no ‘hella boss sandwich’ waiting for you, support the constitutional order like everyone in Texas chantinf Let’s Go Brandon and giving bouquets and BBQ sandwiches to you.”

Give me the UNDER for Putin holding on please.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

It would be beyond bad if the ZNPP blew up so I'm fine with this one remaining a rumor

Same. And at this point, I think Putin knows deep down that, unlike the dam, blowing up a nuclear plant will likely just solidify the EU and NATO. Right now its just a hostage.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 26, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Aramis posted:

None of this is making any sense at all. Prigozhin folded like a wet blanket for a completely bullshit deal. WTF even was the point of this in the first place?

Not getting killed on a highway embankment in an airstrike outside Moscow, most likely.

Or in a firefight in Rostov city center.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Splorange posted:

What does Smithers get from Mister Burns

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

What does Smithers get from Mister Burns

I don't think Luka lives putin like Smithers loves mr burns.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

Not getting killed on a highway embankment in an airstrike outside Moscow, most likely.

Or in a firefight in Rostov city center.

Clearly, but I meant why bother with the rebellion in the first place. It seemingly fizzled out at the absolute first sign of trouble and accomplished literally nothing.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Eh, the dam breaching was probably way worse tbh.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Aramis posted:

Clearly, but I meant why bother with the rebellion in the first place. It seemingly fizzled out at the absolute first sign of trouble and accomplished literally nothing.

I mean, I wouldn't claim that showing how absolutely weak Russia is is 'nothing'.

But it certainly didn't achieve its stated goals.

Randarkman posted:

As far as impact, for sure. The dam wiped out a lot more than even a major radionuclide release might impact.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Aramis posted:

MoD was going to take all his soldiers starting July 1st, I believe. What's a warlord without his soldiers?

My guess is the "deal" was in all likelihood a ceasefire for both sides to buy time. Prigo didn't get the support he was hoping for, and Putin didn't want Wager to march on Moscow, so they both accepted a ceasefire to regroup. Now Prigo is in Belarus with at least some of his army and Putin is probably instructing all his spies to get this man some tea.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aramis posted:

Probably assumed he'd get more support than he did and pussied out rather than fight for a chance. He probably didn't read the Coup handbook that I linked :smugbert:

They made it pretty close to moscow, shot down a decent chunk of the air force on the way, and it looked like some rosgvardia goons with AKs wouldn't be able to stop them. But it's hard to say what the real balance of power was just form the poo poo that got posted on twitter so maybe he realized there's no way he'll get anything out of it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Randarkman posted:

its not an either/or, its an additive or static. they already had the dam breach and suffered/continue suffering from it. this would add a nuclear catastrophe on top of that. the dam breach doesnt unhappen if the plant blows up. for ukraine it only gets worse and depending on the severity of an explosion, radioactive contamination would be an issue that could affect surrounding countries just like Chernobyl did (in terms of rad contamination and fallout dispersal patterns.)

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1673416535602262028?s=20

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 26, 2023

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Splorange posted:

What he always wants, validation by his crush Putin that he's smart and handsome man. Also if he's a good enough boy, maybe a promotion to colonel in the Soviet Army he's been waiting on.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 26, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

its not an either/or, its an additive or static. they already had the dam breach and suffered/continue suffering from it. this would add a nuclear catastrophe on top of that. the dam breach doesnt unhappen if the plant blows up. for ukraine it only gets worse and depending on the severity of an explosion, radioactive contamination would be an issue that could affect surrounding countries just like Chernobyl did (in terms of rad contamination and fallout dispersal patterns.)

More simply, anything military involving the word "nuclear" gets special treatment because it runs the (even ever so slight) risk of interacting with nuclear military doctrines. The measurable impact of the actions are meaningless in the face of abysmally low risk-tolerance in that general area.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

but Russia is winning guys, don't get it twisted. They're winning.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
This press conference really did nothing but further muddy the waters. Amazing. Strong leadership.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Aramis posted:

He probably expected a lot more defections and support from the proper military.

The one option that tracks with everything that happened is that he had deals in place to bribe a lot more than his column of 8k Wagnerites, and then when he set out on his glory ride everyone else just failed to show up. Then he's stone's throw away from Moscow, which he can clearly take because there's nothing but riot cops between him and Kremlin, but without greater support that doesn't mean winning, it just means he gets to die in the ruins of Kremlin. So at that point he negotiates, because he still has "I will spare you the humiliation of losing your capital" card to negotiate with, and if he went any further he wouldn't even have that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Mental posted:

but Russia is winning guys, don't get it twisted. They're winning.

So much that they're tired of winning :sad:

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Aramis posted:

Well Wagner did shoot down seven totally easily replaceable Russian aircraft during the coup attempt so there's that.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

fatherboxx posted:

doesnt have the dawg in him

It's mostly this, at the end of the day

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Has he ever spoken so disrespectfully of his President? Is this a test to see how much power Putin has lost over the weekend?
Or is he tired of living and looking for a new, exiting and very short career as high-rise window inspector?

Ah, he's retired and no longer in government. He's part of a social movement that wants Russia to war harder in Ukraine.
Still won't save him. Oligarch Sergei Protosenya and his family were murdered in Spain in 2022. Putin holds a grudge way better than he holds his diarrhea.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
the fact that six figgy priggy is even still alive tells me with 100% certainty that this was all just a honeypot