Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Maybe this is confirmation bias but I am getting the sense that the majority of the hardcore playerbase does the same move I do, which is to get the Digital Deluxe or whatever the bundle is where you get the expansion, all four seasons, and a few other knick knacks, once a year and then forget the game costs money until the next D2 Showcase a year later. On that particular track nothing has really changed except for a gradually increasing price. Every now and then I look at what people who don't buy the Digital Deluxe have to deal with and I'm just like, holy poo poo, how does anyone keep track of what they own?

The Dungeon Pass is such horseshit. There's no reason that stuff shouldn't be included with your seasonal purchase. I'm starting to wonder if it only exists to make the old Digital Deluxe expansions still viable purchases even though all four of their attached seasons would be gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Pirate Jet posted:

Maybe this is confirmation bias but I am getting the sense that the majority of the hardcore playerbase does the same move I do, which is to get the Digital Deluxe or whatever the bundle is where you get the expansion, all four seasons, and a few other knick knacks, once a year and then forget the game costs money until the next D2 Showcase a year later. On that particular track nothing has really changed except for a gradually increasing price. Every now and then I look at what people who don't buy the Digital Deluxe have to deal with and I'm just like, holy poo poo, how does anyone keep track of what they own?

The Dungeon Pass is such horseshit. There's no reason that stuff shouldn't be included with your seasonal purchase. I'm starting to wonder if it only exists to make the old Digital Deluxe expansions still viable purchases even though all four of their attached seasons would be gone.

This is, 100%, why Destiny's pricing is the way it is, of course. It makes a manipulative argument to people who get dizzy at the fracturing of content into separate purchasable options that instead of having to spend time and effort figuring out what all those different things mean, just buy this one thing, and have everything, for a year.

I mean you can hand wave some other slightly more moral justifications like letting people pick and choose what content they want to engage with. If someone isn't gonna stick around for a specific season they don't have to buy it. If someone doesn't run raids or dungeons as content they don't have to get the dungeon key. A hypothetical person who plays Destiny 2 for the rich lore and engrossing storyline (lol) may only be interested in a base level of campaign for the year and they would indeed pay less for it.

But for all practical purposes what they really want is for people to pre-order deluxe editions because then instead of having to pitch a person on multiple sales as each season comes out, they lock them in for a year with a single purchase early on. Further, said person is now incentivized to play every season because they're already paid for, increasing the odds they might grab an extra cosmetic or two.

E: A closing thought I have is that I don't actually have too much of a problem with this. I am a committed player of this game, warts and all, and I'm ride-or-die through TFS at this point and there's very little they could do to dissuade that. There's a lot of people like me and a one-stop-shop deluxe edition option is what I want and what I consider worth the cost. I think my biggest criticism of the system is that there's absolutely no reason for them to keep all these obsolete line items for old expansions. Sell a deluxe edition for the current expansion; have some a-la-carte options for the same expansion; have one thing priced at like $30-40 that gives you all previous content. Done.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 26, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have always believed that destiny should have used a subscription model. None of these problems would even exist if "pay once for a year of content" were the only option available and the devs could rely on every player buying it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

haveblue posted:

I have always believed that destiny should have used a subscription model. None of these problems would even exist if "pay once for a year of content" were the only option available and the devs could rely on every player buying it

I think the one upside to it not being a sub model is you can hop on any time and do SOMETHING, rather then needing to pony up 15$ to log in if your sub lapsed. Makes it easier for players to test the water or check in.

But it sounds like you more think it should just be "digital deluxe" as the only pay option? Probably a tough ask for players who don't want to dump 100$+ each year for future content they could always end up missing out on. Which IMO is more of an issue of the vault crap.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Destiny 2 is my favorite game I'd never recommend to anyone.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

GigaPeon posted:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I recommend Destiny 2 to everyone and have actively gotten several friends to either play it for the first time and stick around at least for an expansion, or tempt back people who drifted off during the pre-Forsaken clusterfuck

The only one who can judge me for this is God

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

GigaPeon posted:

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
I've been living in a pretty bad lore hole for a while, as far too many of you have unfortunately experienced while playing with me. This is more of that.
here's a question that's bugged me for months that thanks to crispy and nightfire's patience and going through emblems and stuff recently I think I might? have an answer to. I don't know if this is hilariously obvious? Sorry?

Why is the Witness named the Witness?

There's probably more than one answer to this, because there's more than one level on which the story is operating on, so just going to pick a space that's easy. The Witness is {a} Knife, and the Knife's only purpose is to divide things into buckets marked 'exist' or 'ya dead'. What defines 'life' and 'death' is a bigger question that I think Mara is going to have some thoughts on, but the transition between the two - resurrection - seems to be technobabble-backed by quantum mechanics/string theory/general dimensions of space > 4.
So, if we take those two facts - 1) Quantum mechanics plays a large part in defining 'alive' vs. 'dead' and 2) the Witness is responsible for that determination

Is the Witness named the Witness because by observing our garden-local, they collapse the superposition of states of life and death? Until witnessed, we're Schrodinger's Guardian.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

GigaPeon posted:

This is true. Also I wanted my friends to play with me and they would be into it but due to most things being 3 or 6 player, and me having 3 friends who I regularly game with, it didnt really work out.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Oxyclean posted:

I think the one upside to it not being a sub model is you can hop on any time and do SOMETHING, rather then needing to pony up 15$ to log in if your sub lapsed. Makes it easier for players to test the water or check in.

But it sounds like you more think it should just be "digital deluxe" as the only pay option? Probably a tough ask for players who don't want to dump 100$+ each year for future content they could always end up missing out on. Which IMO is more of an issue of the vault crap.

I'd rather buy Deluxe at 100ish a year than spend 180ish for a sub, because no way in hell would they probably charge less than 15/mo.

It's all maybes on that point, but the pricing structure and platform purchasing bs they currently do are scummy as hell and haven't really stood the test of time to prove as necessary ways to handle it vs just being obtuse on purpose. Add the ridiculous pricing on vanity items plus the fact the api to show what will be on the store rotation that started this season and it's looking even worse.

Anyway, hi Arby's can I get a corned beef Reuben and horsey sauce thanks ilu

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

marhom posted:

I've been living in a pretty bad lore hole for a while, as far too many of you have unfortunately experienced while playing with me. This is more of that.
here's a question that's bugged me for months that thanks to crispy and nightfire's patience and going through emblems and stuff recently I think I might? have an answer to. I don't know if this is hilariously obvious? Sorry?

There's probably more than one answer to this, because there's more than one level on which the story is operating on, so just going to pick a space that's easy. The Witness is {a} Knife, and the Knife's only purpose is to divide things into buckets marked 'exist' or 'ya dead'. What defines 'life' and 'death' is a bigger question that I think Mara is going to have some thoughts on, but the transition between the two - resurrection - seems to be technobabble-backed by quantum mechanics/string theory/general dimensions of space > 4.
So, if we take those two facts - 1) Quantum mechanics plays a large part in defining 'alive' vs. 'dead' and 2) the Witness is responsible for that determination

Is the Witness named the Witness because by observing our garden-local, they collapse the superposition of states of life and death? Until witnessed, we're Schrodinger's Guardian.

It's in shattered suns, witness witnesses rhulks life therefore gets to judge him

Sort of like the enders game speaker for the dead?

To have knowledge of something is to have power over it

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving

Mazerunner posted:

It's in shattered suns, witness witnesses rhulks life therefore gets to judge him

Sort of like the enders game speaker for the dead?

To have knowledge of something is to have power over it

Sure, yeah - that's at the narrative/gameplay level. I'm looking at how it extends into the analogy space (not...really? the right place but) as a word, too - and how the act of observing as an integral component of knowing is important in our current arc (cf. mirrors, glass, prisms, boundaries) and how that ties in to the function. edit 3: also because the constant sound vs. optics in dark vs. light stuff and resonance

Knowledge of something is power, yeah, because it's the memory of something. I think it ties in to why specifically ghosts CANNOT tell guardians anything (Glint to Crow makes this explicit) - there's value in secrets, there's value in protected knowledge - maybe that knowledge is how they uniquely identify (again, this is all pushing off the assumption we're dealing w/ entangled poo poo here) who they are bringing back

e: on the knowledge/memory of something thing, I brought this up but I couldn't find out the answer to this: Did we know how the Traveler repaired itself in Arrivals? Contemporaneous emblem seems to explain it now that we have the language, and I'm curious if there's confirmation / it was something that was said explicitly before.

https://destinyemblemcollector.com/emblem?id=3605490914

marhom fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 26, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

Not necessarily in $100 chunks, they could still charge per season. This discussion started because they allow a category of players to exist who paid for and received half the game (figuratively). Eliminating that category would on balance make everyone happier IMO. The exact numbers are a separate argument

I'm not even thinking about the vanity items because I mostly ignore eververse

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
That’s a destiny Lore thing that always drives me a bit nuts but I have trouble explaining exactly why.

When Lightfall launched, it was mission after mission talking about “THE VEIL” but no real idea of what it was other than “VERY IMPORTANT”. I suppose they’re going for a bit of mystery but it felt like a mcguffin or something.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

That’s a destiny Lore thing that always drives me a bit nuts but I have trouble explaining exactly why.

When Lightfall launched, it was mission after mission talking about “THE VEIL” but no real idea of what it was other than “VERY IMPORTANT”. I suppose they’re going for a bit of mystery but it felt like a mcguffin or something.

i think that was answered explicitly last week. it's the darkness' equivalent to the traveler.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Yeah, and this is more intentional than "Lightfall is half a story" - it feels like (I mean, from a season and a half of experience this expansion) we're getting pretty loving *big* pieces every week of something. A word, a link, a conceptual tie - we're winnowing down the terms of the universe; we had too many before that all meant the same thing and now we're finally mapping equivalencies and metaphors. I kind of wish they had started the Veil log stuff a little earlier last season or something as a bridge, but like, Chioma Chat is the highlight of reset atm.

If it's the memory of a universe per that one blurb from the artist and remembering something (perfectly?) returns it to that form, is it basically a reality egg?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Pretty fun low man speed race this weekend through RoN, DSC, GoS and LW. They get a guy in at DSC security whose pretty knowledgable and starts explaining some of the methods and mechanics at 1H:10m ish. I think 2 or 3 world first raiders competed in it and than a bunch of other teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1VU-p12rvY&t=1718s

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

marhom posted:

they thought it was a spooky name

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

So why did the Vanguard tell Osiris to gently caress off forever?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
https://comics.bungie.net/en/1/fall-of-osiris

tldr: osiris saying "The Vex aren't creatures of the Darkness." made the speaker freak the gently caress out and banish him

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving

life_source posted:

https://comics.bungie.net/en/1/fall-of-osiris

tldr: osiris saying "The Vex aren't creatures of the Darkness." made the speaker freak the gently caress out and banish him

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/curse-of-foresight also contemporaneous! edit and I realize it's linked from the ishtar timeline lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol gently caress strand in pvp, what a load of bullshit I don't feel bad about using Jotunn lmao

Also double lol all the crucible challenges are bugged and I don't have any so cool

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

How the heck do you tell which weapons can stun champions in Nightfall strikes? Last Rite, which is a seemingly average kinetic scout rifle stuns big champions in like 3 hits, but Sunshot (hand cannon with solar) doesn't ???

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

How the heck do you tell which weapons can stun champions in Nightfall strikes? Last Rite, which is a seemingly average kinetic scout rifle stuns big champions in like 3 hits, but Sunshot (hand cannon with solar) doesn't ???

You need to ADS without firing a HC for about a second to proc Unstoppable Rounds, which will stun in one shot. Scouts with Overload take about three consecutive hits to proc the stun.

All weapons under the perk (Overload Scout covers all Scouts) can stun. Some just proc slightly differently.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Just lol forever that there are ~mechanics~ to stunning the dumbest adds ever added to this game, and they put them in almost every activity. Champs were, are, and will continue to be buggy trash until the game ends.

I haven't played much this week outside of fishing, all the random bugginess is kinda killing my want to when I have limited time currently and it just adds to the stress of the week because it feels like there's no progression for the amount of effort.

I honestly hope they can pull something out of their rear end to fix things, but I'm betting I need to take a real break from the game again. Maybe the new exotic will scratch the itch a little, but that's to be seen.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm dreading the new exotic, if the mission is anything like Vexcalibur at launch. yikes

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol played some private matches with my clan and we were being disconnected constantly. The gently caress isn't his trash?

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

marhom posted:

Yeah, and this is more intentional than "Lightfall is half a story" - it feels like (I mean, from a season and a half of experience this expansion) we're getting pretty loving *big* pieces every week of something. A word, a link, a conceptual tie - we're winnowing down the terms of the universe; we had too many before that all meant the same thing and now we're finally mapping equivalencies and metaphors. I kind of wish they had started the Veil log stuff a little earlier last season or something as a bridge, but like, Chioma Chat is the highlight of reset atm.

Yeah, I think this sums it for me well. It would have been nicer to get just a bit more early on in the campaign itself. As it was, it felt like a breathless run with no real depth to the big-deal-poo poo that the veil and strand imply. The exotic quest was pretty cool…I’ve also been very happy with the little lore bits we’re getting week to week.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The volume and openess of cheaters in Cruci right now is embarassing, frankly.

Not 'Whoops perhaps I need to get good / borderline sketchy' players, of which some percentage will be cheating but you're not certain, but just open, ha-ha-ha I'm going 60-0, or have infinite Heavy, or Super at 15s into the match continuously open.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 27, 2023

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Shockeh posted:

Not 'Whoops perhaps I need to get good / borderline sketchy' players, of which some percentage will be cheating but you're not certain, but just open, ha-ha-ha I'm going 60-0, or have infinite Heavy, or Super at 15s into the match continuously open.

I personally enjoyed getting suplexed by perfect through the wall two taps from guns that should take 3 minimum to the head. Maybe I'm just wearing the wrong shader and my gaming chair isn't up to snuff though. Who knows?!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hot take: champs are fine. They used to be way the gently caress more annoying when you had to use specific seasonal weapons for them, but now they're just... Elite baddies. They're fine. Every class naturally takes care of two of them to varying degrees of ease.

They're tough and make encounters much harder and yeah, that's the point. Most games have similar miniboss style enemy. I don't get the insane hate for them, especially how easily they're dealt with now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PathAsc posted:

I personally enjoyed getting suplexed by perfect through the wall two taps from guns that should take 3 minimum to the head. Maybe I'm just wearing the wrong shader and my gaming chair isn't up to snuff though. Who knows?!

Did you use code ifrostbolt and buy advanced GG?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shockeh posted:

Not 'Whoops perhaps I need to get good/borderline sketchy' players, of which some percentage will be cheating but you're not certain, but just open, ha-ha-ha I'm going 60-0, or have infinite Heavy, or Super at 15s into the match continuously open.

Bungie's silence on the matter says more than anything else. They don't give a gently caress.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

At this point my only issue with champs is in high end stuff where overloads loving heal to full in a loving split second because you made the mistake of needing to reload. Or just generally in high end where their stun immunity phase is super loving annoying.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

syntaxfunction posted:

Hot take: champs are fine. They used to be way the gently caress more annoying when you had to use specific seasonal weapons for them, but now they're just... Elite baddies. They're fine. Every class naturally takes care of two of them to varying degrees of ease.

They're tough and make encounters much harder and yeah, that's the point. Most games have similar miniboss style enemy. I don't get the insane hate for them, especially how easily they're dealt with now.

Stupid logic is ... Because Bungie said "play how you want" six years ago and I can't use whatever weapon I want to stun. So I will bitch about champs endlessly since Bungie is FORCING me to equip a different weapon! Or just ignore the stun mechanic and try to steamroll through champions with varying degrees of success.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

on your character equip screen, there are three icons just right of your weapons, beneath the subclass button. hover over these, it will tell you every way to stun that champion type, and it will point out which weapons you have selected (and even which ones you have equipped)

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Uh, yeah, so bit 'ole it depends.

Basically, your artifact dictates which weapons stun which champions (this rotates seasonally). There are subclass things that stun champions. There are exotic weapons that intrinsically stun champions. We've got a chart that lists all of them in a helpful guide:

As always, Join the discord! We've got a ton of these extremely helpful resources in #d2-library

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 27, 2023

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Agreed, champs are a dumb mechanic. I can see how they would add to build variety to keep your loadout from getting stale...try new weapons, etc but I still go back to the same handful of guns anyway, even after they added subclass ways to stun.

Destinys bad guy problem will always be the same dumb enemy ai that has never changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Champions used to be annoying because of how specific the requirements were but they're so easy to deal with now. If you can't find a way to make your loadout effectively deal with two kinds of champions across the artifact, the subclass keywords and several exotics that are really good outside of their anti-champion capabilities, particularly when there's two very easily obtainable things in the game that pretty much deal with all three kinds of champion entirely on their own (Riptide and Suspend), uh, I dunno. Seems like a you problem.