Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

In Training posted:

Good luck. Steward work is really beneficial for people if someone with militancy and energy is able to do it, the contract protection work between bargaining is hyper important! going through our own first grievance here with a new contract and trying to protect some coworkers from unfairly losing hours. The fight never ends

yes thank you all. I already have 3 meetings scheduled with the head steward and management, one of which is the first round of negotiating compensation for extra-contractual work. it's always been on a case-by-case basis and management feels that the fees we've been demanding have recently inflated too high too fast and they want to create a standardized fee table for extra-contractual projects. I'm prepared to accept a generous offer, but we stand to loose a lot if we accept a rigid framework going forward.

management is sending in the CFO himself to negotiate with, and it'll mostly be in German, which is not my native language. it's going to take a lot of prep work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

webcams for christ posted:

yes thank you all. I already have 3 meetings scheduled with the head steward and management, one of which is the first round of negotiating compensation for extra-contractual work. it's always been on a case-by-case basis and management feels that the fees we've been demanding have recently inflated too high too fast and they want to create a standardized fee table for extra-contractual projects. I'm prepared to accept a generous offer, but we stand to loose a lot if we accept a rigid framework going forward.

management is sending in the CFO himself to negotiate with, and it'll mostly be in German, which is not my native language. it's going to take a lot of prep work

If you work in a company where multiple languages are common, it would probably behoove you to either mandate that negotiations are performed in X language, or to get a contractual right to bring a professional translator along to negotiations incorporated in your contract. It is totally unacceptable to expect either side to negotiate in a non-native or non-fluent language. That's some shady-assed management gently caress-gently caress game poo poo.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Hochdeutsch is the official language of 90% of the firm, including my department. But I will insist on either responding in English or having a translator present. The head steward doesn't speak any English though, so if too much of the convo is in English it leaves them alienated.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tom Smykowski posted:

It owns but also be careful of burn out and set boundaries

both of these but the boundaries thing can be really important

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
the nurses at my hospital are striking next week and the bosses are flying in a ton of scabs and expecting us (the behavioral health staff) to do a bunch of nursey stuff outside of our job descriptions 🤬

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Lazy_Liberal posted:

the nurses at my hospital are striking next week and the bosses are flying in a ton of scabs and expecting us (the behavioral health staff) to do a bunch of nursey stuff outside of our job descriptions 🤬

get their asses

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
this is why everyone at a hospital should be in one union

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

kingcobweb posted:

[requiem for a dream voice] wall to wall! wall to wall! wall to wall!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Jinnigan posted:

[requiem for a dream voice] wall to wall! wall to wall! wall to wall!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

kingcobweb posted:

this is why everyone should be in one union

NoU
Dec 31, 2008
my union was on strike for 8 days, we achieved a tentative contract last night. for a rank-and-file like me, it has been a physical and emotional, so it makes me appreciate those in leadership roles (esp. bargaining committee) for taking on so much poo poo

NoU has issued a correction as of 00:59 on Jun 16, 2023

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NoU posted:

my union was on strike for 8 days, we achieved a tentative contract last night. for a rank-and-file like me, it has been a physical and emotional rollercoaster, so it makes me appreciate those in leadership roles (esp. bargaining committee) for taking on so much poo poo

Hell yeah!!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

NoU posted:

my union was on strike for 8 days, we achieved a tentative contract last night. for a rank-and-file like me, it has been a physical and emotional, so it makes me appreciate those in leadership roles (esp. bargaining committee) for taking on so much poo poo

In Training posted:

Hell yeah!!

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

NoU posted:

congratulations. you deserve it.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

working on it 🥲

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

It's a nice idea, but too wobbly in practice.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/LByock/status/1669410014111608832

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Koreans, famously unwilling to protest

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!
any man and woman in particular or just anyone?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

my week so far

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

hang in there webcams!

ok im off to go make some nurses sing solidarity forever now

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This fuckin rules.

Remember, you’re not there to throw a knockout; You’re there to be in the ring.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
these guys are so cool

https://twitter.com/WorkersUTDFacts/status/1672247742201233408?s=20

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Just learned about this.

Let’s go, IBEW.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why put in the kind of money to hire a union-busting PR firm to run some swift boat style Just Asking Questions campaign, and buy elon's blue check, but not pay for fake twitter likes?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ive been told many times by a rep friend that there are tiers of union busting firms, and a company will get the level of effectiveness they pay for, so i suspect these folks just aren't the best you can get

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I mean, sure, it's a win, but lol that deal only represents 4000 rail workers out of 178,000 total rail workers, and they still only got 4 days not 7

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

UPS presented their wage proposals and it was so insulting the teamsters bargaining reps just walked away from the table. Badass

some analysis in this thread. Sorry for too many links

https://twitter.com/upsurgepod/status/1672331363142234112?s=20

https://twitter.com/upsurgepod/status/1672331366204145665?s=20

https://twitter.com/upsurgepod/status/1672331369345630208?s=20

https://twitter.com/upsurgepod/status/1672331372403277824?s=20

https://twitter.com/upsurgepod/status/1672331375616176130?s=20

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the COLA regression and elimination of top-tier wages is just,

man

we're gonna find out how serious the teamsters are. my knowledge of them is, 'yes'

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the COLA regression and elimination of top-tier wages is just,

man

we're gonna find out how serious the teamsters are. my knowledge of them is, 'yes'

Hoffa baby!!!!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Monday was my first meeting with the (new) 2nd senior-most manager to discuss remuneration rates for members of my unit who are offered, and consent to taking on extracontractual [assignments] from management. Our CLA states that such [assignments] may only take place with the consent of the employee, who has the right to negotiate terms, with the shop steward present if desired. Management suggested that it's become difficult and time-consuming to negotiate terms with my unit members, and they would like to create a fair, standardized process for determining fair compensation

so it was Monday that our other steward and I sat down with the sr manager and CFO to hear their offer: which was of course insultingly low remuneration scale, 35% lower than what we've currently been paid over the past 4 years (i.e. even pre-pandemic), peppered with condescension, insults, and threats of outsourcing. It was also clear that management waited to hold this meeting until a particularly busy crunch period for my unit.

now I don't see or feel any existential danger, and feel adequately protected by exercising our rights outlined in our CLA, but the threats really got under the skin of many of my colleagues. This week I spent at least 20 hours having conversations to reassure my coworkers, listening to their concerns and suggestions, talking to our national union staff, and reaching out to shop stewards at peer institutions.

pretty exhausting, but I've learned a lot and somehow feel much happier than I did a week ago, despite a higher stress load. and fortunately, we only have 2 weeks to go before a mandatory 4-week summer break!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

hang in there webcams!

MrYenko posted:

Remember, you’re not there to throw a knockout; You’re there to be in the ring.

o7

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

webcams for christ posted:

Monday was my first meeting with the (new) 2nd senior-most manager to discuss remuneration rates for members of my unit who are offered, and consent to taking on extracontractual [assignments] from management. Our CLA states that such [assignments] may only take place with the consent of the employee, who has the right to negotiate terms, with the shop steward present if desired. Management suggested that it's become difficult and time-consuming to negotiate terms with my unit members, and they would like to create a fair, standardized process for determining fair compensation

so it was Monday that our other steward and I sat down with the sr manager and CFO to hear their offer: which was of course insultingly low remuneration scale, 35% lower than what we've currently been paid over the past 4 years (i.e. even pre-pandemic), peppered with condescension, insults, and threats of outsourcing. It was also clear that management waited to hold this meeting until a particularly busy crunch period for my unit.

now I don't see or feel any existential danger, and feel adequately protected by exercising our rights outlined in our CLA, but the threats really got under the skin of many of my colleagues. This week I spent at least 20 hours having conversations to reassure my coworkers, listening to their concerns and suggestions, talking to our national union staff, and reaching out to shop stewards at peer institutions.

pretty exhausting, but I've learned a lot and somehow feel much happier than I did a week ago, despite a higher stress load. and fortunately, we only have 2 weeks to go before a mandatory 4-week summer break!

o7

Way to keep fighting the good fight comrade! As an aside, are you training anyone else in your shop to help with this work?

I know burnout is real in organizing and training others is really the only way I've seen that helps mitigate it.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Greatbacon posted:

Way to keep fighting the good fight comrade! As an aside, are you training anyone else in your shop to help with this work?

I know burnout is real in organizing and training others is really the only way I've seen that helps mitigate it.

lol I am the trainee, but thank you and you're right

unfortunately our shop steward is resigning in August and I'm going to be voted into the post, with someone else (no clear candidates atm) having to step up and run for assistant shop steward. current steward just needs a year or two off and then she said she's good to jump back in at least

but I'm organizing my coworkers all the time as much as possible, and I've identified 2 that I think will eventually be great, but they're both very shy at the moment

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

our hospital's nursing strike last week was rad and we had a lot of community and local govt support 👍

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Kramering into this thread to post this workshop thing in case anyone's interested. I don't have details other than this / am not involved... I'm just a fan of the museum.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

In Training posted:

UPS presented their wage proposals and it was so insulting the teamsters bargaining reps just walked away from the table. Badass

insert tweets here

Been with UPS a little over two years, driver for one.

my take: jesus christ lmao

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
started my first week as an organizer for UAW and signed my own union card as part of a union drive among the temporary organizers :c00l:

NoU
Dec 31, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

started my first week as an organizer for UAW and signed my own union card as part of a union drive among the temporary organizers :c00l:

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

kingcobweb posted:

congratulations!! :wooper: