Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Someone on twitter got it perfectly when they called Brigadramon "Kitbash War Greymon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's only fair, really. Commandramon was always soldier Agumon so getting soldier MetalGreymon and soldier WarGreymon as evolutions makes more sense than what they had before (Cargodramon is very cool but random in the line). And I say this as a big Darkdramon fan, but kitbash WarGreymon makes more sense.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Omnicrom posted:

But the problem remains, they aren't pets. And the whole of Menoa's character is that she was wrong for not getting over Morphomon's death and that was the start of her road towards evil and if she had only grown up properly from her best friend dying at 13 explicitly because of her everything would be fine. And perhaps that last sentence is true of pets but Digimon aren't pets, and in the movie the Digimon weren't sick or ailing like a dog on their last legs, they were fine until they hit the arbitrary kill limit that only randomly affects partner Digimon for highly questionable and arbitrary reasons, whereupon they got a time limit and then died.

And perhaps this is coming from my perspective because I don't like pets. I don't like dogs and I don't like cats. My family has had pets and I have never liked them and have never received any comfort or support by their presence. I can say with complete honesty I have never had a positive experience for having or being around the pet, and so I don't look at the movie from the perspective of the pet having to be put down, I look at it from the perspective that a self-aware, humanized being who is going to die for arbitrary reasons as part of the message that I think is just toxic and freakishly out of character for Digimon in general honestly.

C'est la vie.

From the way you’re talking about it this sounds kind of like a you problem and less to do with what’s shown in the movie itself. Even taking into account your uh, interesting views on pets, your best friend dying wouldn’t excuse you from sending people into comas to trap them in a messed up neverland world because you couldn’t process your trauma. You’d still be a villain. Menoa being made out to be a villain for her actions is the least weird thing about that plot point. She’s a tragic villain. It’s normal for her to feel the way she did. It’s not normal for her to act the way she did.

That’s also not getting into the fact that they explicitly leave it open ended. The end of the film ends with Yamato and Taichi vowing to see their partners again (and we know they do), and the movie is careful to use the words “disappear“ instead of die. Even in the scene where Gennai tells Tai it’s true, he says something along the lines as “unless you still have some potential saved up somewhere.” In-universe, the partners actually represent an individual’s potential rather than their actual maturity. This gives them an out to do something like have them realize they always have potential and get their partners back.

On the subject of in-universe plot points, what was up with the aurora? It seemed to make Parrotmon stronger, and if I’m remembering right Menoa was told to make Eosmon when it appeared. It almost seems like something put in there as sequel bait, but I guess it could be left over from an earlier draft of the movie or deliberately unanswered like the evil Gennai guy in Tri.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Got my copy of the new Blu-Ray release for Digimon Adventure today and man they did a good job cleaning this up

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

“Kizuna’s themes suck because I hate pets” is the weirdest complaint about a movie I’ve seen in a while.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SyntheticPolygon posted:

“Kizuna’s themes suck because I hate pets” is the weirdest complaint about a movie I’ve seen in a while.

Yeah, I honestly have no idea who would seriously have that as a complaint.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Omnicrom posted:

Someone on twitter got it perfectly when they called Brigadramon "Kitbash War Greymon"

Its all fun and games now, but what'll you do when the edition change rolls around and WarGreymon can no longer take a jump pack and assault cannon as wargear?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Bee posted:

Its all fun and games now, but what'll you do when the edition change rolls around and WarGreymon can no longer take a jump pack and assault cannon as wargear?

lol, also I said this already but man Adventure in HD quality is really pretty, like yeah the animation itself is more on the functional side than anything for the most part but the character designs and drawings are great and of course the background/environmental work is gorgeous, also never noticed before the Ultraman homage in the episode title cards but in retrospect one can see a lot of Ultraman DNA in Digimon as a franchise

Also just finished the BirDramon debut episode and it's funny how in the original Japanese the Black Gear possessed Meramon just keeps talking about "burning up" in a way that's obviously the classic Japanese "Hot Blooded" kind of way and then the English dub just has him screaming his head off about being on fire

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://twitter.com/rustmarrow/status/1673640456503312384

Here's the cover art for EX5! It's both very predictable and incredibly upsetting. They couldn't have chosen the Devas or something? They really did have to make the cover image loving Melga X.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm just happy to see Coronamon and Lunamon, the cover art isn't that important.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
They don’t typically choose good cover art. The art for the set that went big on the Digimon from Frontier? MetalGreymon. The art for the set that focused on dragons and had a big focus on the Examon line and the Four Great Dragons? Chaosdramon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

thetoughestbean posted:

They don’t typically choose good cover art. The art for the set that went big on the Digimon from Frontier? MetalGreymon. The art for the set that focused on dragons and had a big focus on the Examon line and the Four Great Dragons? Chaosdramon.

BT7 was doubly funny because, IIRC, that was the only Greymon in the set. They printed him just to put it on the cover.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thetoughestbean posted:

Oh, definitely. It's less about good cover art and more about actively hating that loving form.

You could call it Melga PTSD, I wouldn't deny it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't blame you, much like most X-Antibody Digimon, MetalGarurumon X is very ugly.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can't blame you, much like most X-Antibody Digimon, MetalGarurumon X is very ugly.

This is true, but there's also the fact that I'm big into the TCG and that deck was oppressive as hell for like nine months. It was a menace.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think MGaruruX is one of the better looking X Digimon, but I'm also in the camp of feverishly hoping it is never ever meta relevant ever again.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

I'm just imagining the planning meeting on Brigadramon.

commandramon hakase

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Elfgames posted:

commandramon hakase

I didn’t know I needed this

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Anyone capable of drawing, you know what to do.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I know the D-Brigade is probably secretly run by a human military or something but I prefer to imagine they’re being staffed by Commandramon wearing different kinds of outfits.

The leader is a Tankdramon wearing a suit that barely fits and chomping on a cigar like General Patton.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/laser_book/status/1674334148033679360?s=46&t=idHOluBX7WY76GN9uEVUwg

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1674915726526668801?s=20

I can't believe this is how we finally see Bond of Friendship's bike mode

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1674915726526668801?s=20

I can't believe this is how we finally see Bond of Friendship's bike mode

I thought it'd never happen. I always wanted to see it but they just didn't want to show it. It may be a weird way to show it, it may be in a style that won't show it in full detail, but I'm glad it finally happened.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God, it's almost painful how good Summer Wars is. It is the Galaxy Quest to the actual Digimon movies' Star Treks--the one that shows up off the street and does what they all do infinitely better than they do.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Im prefectly happy to put Galaxy Quest in the star trek canon but i do think wrath of khan is better.

Um, thats the only movie i think is better mind you

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also if anyone cares the entire Colon dub is now up on Hulu

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

So Bamco's AX announcement panel is later today. Are we taking bets on whether or not we'll get any Digimon news?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're going to announce Cyber Sleuth 2. For me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They're going to announce Cyber Sleuth 2. For me.

They already did that one.

This would be Cyber Sleuth 3.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hacker's memory was clearly Cyber Sleuth 1.5

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Hackers memory only flaw is not letting me be a girl

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

There was no way out of it. It's a very important plot point that Yuu and Keisuke are boyfriends.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

There was no way out of it. It's a very important plot point that Yuu and Keisuke are boyfriends.

I suppose this is only fair for the lesbian relation of femc and nokia in the first

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're gay games

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They're gay games

You’re telling me that the game that gave us Mastemon is gay?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They're gay games

Gaymes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The digimon are the least gay part

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its other flaw was being five years ago with no sequel in sight.

That's why we will get Cyber Sleuth 2 today

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I would love another cyber slueth but id also like another vn...i liked survive a lot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

We know the next Digimon Story game is being worked on, we're really just waiting for an official reveal (which was not tonight but c'est la vie)