Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Talking about making shapes with our hands with my 4yo.
Me, while making a heart shape: "See look it's a heart. I love you!"
Him, holding a circle of his thumb and forefinger up to his eye to peer through it: "Well this looks like a zero so I don't love you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tamarillo posted:

Talking about making shapes with our hands with my 4yo.
Me, while making a heart shape: "See look it's a heart. I love you!"
Him, holding a circle of his thumb and forefinger up to his eye to peer through it: "Well this looks like a zero so I don't love you."

Renegret posted:

Parenthood is just a series of owns and I am a perfect target.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Teething phase is starting finally. We’re seeing the first little bits of white with the little gremlin.

He’s getting fussier about it but some tylenol seems to do the trick.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Reporting back to say the combo of shaking out the clothes, then carefully drying and emptying the lint trap a few times did the trick. I will never make that mistake again!

(I say that now…)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Where do kids come up with this poo poo?

I don't even have a specific anecdote

Just wtf

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Parenting Thread: this is why we can’t have nice things

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh I have some nice things, they just have to stay hidden and unused.

But I do have them!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sharkytm posted:

Wrapped in an enigma, and smothered in special sauce.

The special sauce is poop, ofcourse

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Do other four year olds get absolutely manic energy when they’re over tired? Kiddo was just intense yesterday. Would not hold still, would not focus on anything for more than two seconds. Just like child zoomies. Then finally his dad was like okay we’re going to chill and read a story and he was zonked out in like less than 5 minutes and stayed out for like a full 9 hours.

We took him to our local Pride street fair today and he loved the rainbows :3

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My 3 year old was falling asleep on our walk back from the beach/pride parade but made it home and immediately went into zoomie mode for 30 minutes before passing out 15 seconds into the nap routine

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

CherryCola posted:

Do other four year olds get absolutely manic energy when they’re over tired? Kiddo was just intense yesterday. Would not hold still, would not focus on anything for more than two seconds. Just like child zoomies. Then finally his dad was like okay we’re going to chill and read a story and he was zonked out in like less than 5 minutes and stayed out for like a full 9 hours.

Yep, completely normal. Executive function/self control/behavioral inhibition are the big skills they are learning so they are the first to go when they are tired

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Yesterday my 2yo skipped his nap and by bedtime he was like a dude with three beers and a bump of coke in him. Hilarious, but holy poo poo.

Today he ALSO skipped his nap (summer vacation woo) and fell asleep in the car on the way to the spray park.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Also a member of "Skipped nap and raised cane at bedtime" crew over here.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

My kids have started playing Pokemon card game. How petty is it that when I'm frustrated with their bullshit I annihilate them in their new favorite game?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You gotta meet them at their level

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

killer crane posted:

My kids have started playing Pokemon card game. How petty is it that when I'm frustrated with their bullshit I annihilate them in their new favorite game?

I did this with my nephew when he was little, but now he's older and better at games so he constantly dunks on me any chance he gets. You can the revenge satisfaction in his eyes.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Where am I supposed to find the patience for the 40 minutes of morning tantrums of a 3 yo? Where. Someone help me find my patience. Please I'm dying. I haven't even had my coffee

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
The list of reasons for losing himself in rage this morning (so far):

- he wanted papa to wear long pants pajamas.
- he didn't want to drink water from his cup, but papa's
- he wanted mama
- he didn't want to pee in the toilet despite having to pee really bad
- he wanted cranberries, which I didn't purchase this week (sorry)
- he didn't want me to make coffee without him helping right away not in 5 seconds but that immediate moment when he was 10 ft away
- he wants my help with a puzzle toy

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Kiddo is currently extremely upset because he had a dream last night where he was playing with a toy snowman, and he woke up to discover that said toy doesn't actually exist.

That's uh, actually really sad. It's the child equivalent of dreaming you just got out of work or just got into bed right before your alarm goes off

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

A Bad King posted:

The list of reasons for losing himself in rage this morning (so far):

- he wanted papa to wear long pants pajamas.
- he didn't want to drink water from his cup, but papa's
- he wanted mama
- he didn't want to pee in the toilet despite having to pee really bad
- he wanted cranberries, which I didn't purchase this week (sorry)
- he didn't want me to make coffee without him helping right away not in 5 seconds but that immediate moment when he was 10 ft away
- he wants my help with a puzzle toy

Our 2.5 y/o has morning tantrums or evening tantrums, usually need to get one out of his system every day. Sometimes zero, sometimes 2-3.

My method is:
1. Tell them it’s okay to be mad / sad / big feelings, but that we can’t do the next thing until we calm down.
2. Get down on their level when I can and sit on the floor.
3. Sometimes he wants to chill in his crib and tantrum to help calm down, I’ll pop him in there if I can.
4. I ask him to take deep breaths with me and I take deep breaths (this helps me, he hasn’t done it yet)
5. Once the initial hysterical edge of the tantrum wears off I start looking for shapes and colors. “I see a white rectangle, do you see any shapes?” I’ll just keep doing this. Eventually he will jump in and talk about what shapes he sees. Sometimes if he’s still pissy he will contradict me on what shapes I’m seeing “NO THATS AN OVAL”. But at least at that point he’s engaging and not just screaming.

Point 1 has been helping because lately he’s been telling me has a feeling before the tantrum “I’m mad, I’m angry, I’m sad”. Point 5 also very helpful and sometimes he will want to look at shapes proactively.

And sometimes you’re just SOL and due to hanger or tiredness or toddler obstinance nothing works and I just gotta ride out an hour of screaming. That’s when the deep breathing comes in handy.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

space uncle posted:

Our 2.5 y/o has morning tantrums or evening tantrums, usually need to get one out of his system every day. Sometimes zero, sometimes 2-3.

My method is:
1. Tell them it’s okay to be mad / sad / big feelings, but that we can’t do the next thing until we calm down.
2. Get down on their level when I can and sit on the floor.
3. Sometimes he wants to chill in his crib and tantrum to help calm down, I’ll pop him in there if I can.
4. I ask him to take deep breaths with me and I take deep breaths (this helps me, he hasn’t done it yet)
5. Once the initial hysterical edge of the tantrum wears off I start looking for shapes and colors. “I see a white rectangle, do you see any shapes?” I’ll just keep doing this. Eventually he will jump in and talk about what shapes he sees. Sometimes if he’s still pissy he will contradict me on what shapes I’m seeing “NO THATS AN OVAL”. But at least at that point he’s engaging and not just screaming.

Point 1 has been helping because lately he’s been telling me has a feeling before the tantrum “I’m mad, I’m angry, I’m sad”. Point 5 also very helpful and sometimes he will want to look at shapes proactively.

And sometimes you’re just SOL and due to hanger or tiredness or toddler obstinance nothing works and I just gotta ride out an hour of screaming. That’s when the deep breathing comes in handy.

I have a 3yo as well and all of this is great advice. My favorite approach is to try and redirect to something funny. Sometimes it’s easy, do something silly and suddenly they feel like laughing instead of screaming. Sometimes it doesn’t work at all, they just really need to feel upset in that moment and let it out. Easier said than done, Sometimes it just be like that.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
On the subject of tantrums…we went with some friends to a street fair over the weekend and my 2.5 year old had a meltdown :( By far the worst part is everyone whispering and asking what’s wrong and it makes me want to scream “nothing is wrong! He is 2 and needs some space to cool down!” Literally all he needs to is to feel his feelings, but I can’t give him space to do that in such a public place. We ended up just going home.
Any advice for dealing with tantrums in public is welcome.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

remigious posted:

On the subject of tantrums…we went with some friends to a street fair over the weekend and my 2.5 year old had a meltdown :( By far the worst part is everyone whispering and asking what’s wrong and it makes me want to scream “nothing is wrong! He is 2 and needs some space to cool down!” Literally all he needs to is to feel his feelings, but I can’t give him space to do that in such a public place. We ended up just going home.
Any advice for dealing with tantrums in public is welcome.

I got nothing I just had this pic handy

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

External Organs posted:

Yeah, I think this is just my life for the next few years.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh this was the first time that kiddo asked if I was going to stay over Sunday night, too :3 (I work Monday morning, so I usually only stay over Saturdays) It makes me so happy that he’s okay with me being a person that’s around a lot.

Oh and he asked if I was his friend, this weekend :3 Absolutely, bud.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

External Organs posted:

Wait is this for the 2yo, or the people that don't get that a 2yo is gonna 2yo?

Our recent challenges are that since the T1D diagnosis, we've catered to him a lot, specifically around food. We edit some of his requests, but holy poo poo it's good to see him eat and fill out again. He translated this into expecting us to do whatever he wanted. I told the google home to play music so the 2yo could dance, and he whined "But I don't wanna have music on", and my wife told him if he didn't want music, just go to his room. And he went. And stopped whining. And the 2yo danced. I still can't quite believe it.

I can't wait for his sugar to stabilize so I can send him back to daycare. Unclear if he'll be full feral first, or if the adults lose their minds first.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Alarbus posted:

Wait is this for the 2yo, or the people that don't get that a 2yo is gonna 2yo?

Yes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Stop asking me detailed questions about what just happened on Rosie's Rules

Do you really think I'm paying close attention to Rosie's Rules

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Brawnfire posted:

Stop asking me detailed questions about what just happened on Rosie's Rules

Do you really think I'm paying close attention to Rosie's Rules

When my son was a little younger, he saw a scene with the little brother and a stuffy or something, but I think it was an interstitial or just a really short scene.

Cue 60+ min of him desperately asking for me to tell him the name of the baby’s stuffy on Rosie’s rules, but not able to articulate anything else that would help me find what he was taking about.

e: Also hitting 4 wks with baby #2, and she is doing great and much easier than her brother was. Unfortunately, I’m on son duty from wake up to bed time and then I hold the baby for a couple hours so my wife can shower/do night routine/polish off some housework, and holy poo poo is this a grind. I shouldn’t have asked for the new Zelda game for Father’s Day, I’m getting like sub-5 hrs of sleep every night…oops

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 27, 2023

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don’t understand what overtiredness contributes to our species. I’m exhausted so actually I have a great idea let me send some more stress signals and get even more wired up when my body badly needs sleep. Human babies are highly suboptimal.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Crazyweasel posted:

When my son was a little younger, he saw a scene with the little brother and a stuffy or something, but I think it was an interstitial or just a really short scene.

Cue 60+ min of him desperately asking for me to tell him the name of the baby’s stuffy on Rosie’s rules, but not able to articulate anything else that would help me find what he was taking about.

The worst part is I knew the goddamn answer to this the second I read it. I hate what's happened to my brain.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nachos posted:

I don’t understand what overtiredness contributes to our species. I’m exhausted so actually I have a great idea let me send some more stress signals and get even more wired up when my body badly needs sleep. Human babies are highly suboptimal.

Ah yes, I'm absolutely exhausted, time to do some loving backflips for a half hour and refuse to close my eyes.

Cranky? I get it. But I'm so jealous of the surge of endless energy they get from being tired. Imagine what I could get done with all that

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Just enough PJ Masks taglines/catchphrases have osmosed into my brain that I can satisfy the ‘play PJ Masks!’ demands

I feel like it’s going to get rougher when they want a sustained, shared story and enthusiasm rather than the fistbump.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Overtiredness makes a lot of sense to me in terms of the benefits to pre-history humans. Like imagine a caveman on a long hunt (or hell, being hunted) who just absolutely needs to stay awake. Like if I could lay down and sleep I would, but I’m clearly in a situation that requires MORE energy. And so your body is like SECOND WIND BABY HERE WE GO *crashes 5 min later*

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

moon demon posted:

Overtiredness makes a lot of sense to me in terms of the benefits to pre-history humans. Like imagine a caveman on a long hunt (or hell, being hunted) who just absolutely needs to stay awake. Like if I could lay down and sleep I would, but I’m clearly in a situation that requires MORE energy. And so your body is like SECOND WIND BABY HERE WE GO *crashes 5 min later*

Sleep at a moment's notice, but then wake up alert to baby's needs, when you've only slept 3 hours in the last two days.

Doesn't that kind of prolonged hyperawareness lead to PTSD? That would explain a lot about my recall of my twins infancy.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

killer crane posted:

Sleep at a moment's notice, but then wake up alert to baby's needs, when you've only slept 3 hours in the last two days.

Doesn't that kind of prolonged hyperawareness lead to PTSD? That would explain a lot about my recall of my twins infancy.

Yup, that’s why everyone forgets about that poo poo when they leave that phase. This explains why people ever have more than 1 kid, and why grandparents act like kids are easy as hell (because their brain has curated out all of the difficult times).

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

killer crane posted:

Doesn't that kind of prolonged hyperawareness lead to PTSD?

Yes. Yes it does. :smith:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

killer crane posted:

I definitely have this extremely stressful feeling about sleep and night time now that i did not used to have at all so i would not be surprised

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

killer crane posted:

I don't feel like my son's nine months out of the womb so far have gone by quickly or slowly - they're just a blur. How do you "cherish these memories" when your brain hasn't worked due to extreme sleep deprivation and poor sleep quality for over a year? He has more restful nights now than he used to (but still tends to wake up at least once a night, and always by 6am), but my brain still hasn't recovered from the newborn days so it feels uneasy trying to sleep a full night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

killer crane posted:

The amount I remember of my younger kid's early days versus those of her brother is staggering, because she started sleeping through the night early, and he didn't sleep through the night until he was fully eighteen months old.