Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:shittypop: somehow i'd overlooked battlemaster, yeah that's definitely going in

bludgeon's a bit more of a maybe since even though i can steal their stuff, the control doesn't change so they can still pay the equip cost to unequip or put it on something on their side again, but paying mana to get back their mana rock might not be worth it. i'm considering triggered ability doublers once i see how the deck runs on average to get multiple free equip triggers per combat (same for extra combat step cards), so i should probably throw that stuff in the maybeboard already so i don't forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mix. posted:

:shittypop: somehow i'd overlooked battlemaster, yeah that's definitely going in

bludgeon's a bit more of a maybe since even though i can steal their stuff, the control doesn't change so they can still pay the equip cost to unequip or put it on something on their side again, but paying mana to get back their mana rock might not be worth it. i'm considering triggered ability doublers once i see how the deck runs on average to get multiple free equip triggers per combat (same for extra combat step cards), so i should probably throw that stuff in the maybeboard already so i don't forget

Not something for this particular deck, but I've always wanted to use Liquimetal Coating (or I guess Liquimetal Torque, now) to turn Jace, the Mind Sculptor into an artifact and equip him to Gideon Jura with Bludgeon Brawl.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why does Moxfield not let me add Grim Tutor, instead making me add Crack The Vault, which is technically the same thing, but confusing and not what I'd use.

edit: Whoa, Nazgul are 8+ bucks a pop for an uncommon.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 26, 2023

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

edit: Whoa, Nazgul are 8+ bucks a pop for an uncommon.

Some weirdo on TCGPlayer temporarily bought them all up and relisted them for 13 bucks a pop. I don't know if it's paying dividends or not. The margin is insane but I don't know how many you can move when it's an uncommon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Khanstant posted:

Why does Moxfield not let me add Grim Tutor, instead making me add Crack The Vault, which is technically the same thing, but confusing and not what I'd use.

Moxfield defaults to the cheapest printing. The Fortnite secret lair one is slightly less than the M21 prints.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Moxfield defaults to the cheapest printing. The Fortnite secret lair one is slightly less than the M21 prints.

Oh, so that's why it used the Japanese Mystical Archive version when I added Mizzix's Mastery to a deck.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Some weirdo on TCGPlayer temporarily bought them all up and relisted them for 13 bucks a pop. I don't know if it's paying dividends or not. The margin is insane but I don't know how many you can move when it's an uncommon.

Ah okay, I was like there's no way this many people want to try a janky ring-tempt wincon deck to make it that expensive. I'll just wait or proxy in the meantime, pretty sure I got at least 1 in my prerelease pack. My pauper deck is still trickling in as well.

Here's my present brainstorm list. Need to make at least 17 cuts though. Probably don't need all 9 Nazgul but most of the creatures are ring-tempters. I guess you only need 4 and Frodo can theoretically get that train rolling by himself so maybe I don't need every single tempt card in there. Might also be a bit too much equipment, was mostly looking for evasive stuff that didn't add much attack.
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/zqDN_HwFOk-4U1gbwZuTQA

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Balon posted:

Hey folks, I just released my precon upgrade guide for LOTR - all 4 precons, one 10-minute video.

Let me know what you think of this condensed format:

https://youtu.be/1yN9YQyIh-I

Handy for some quick upgrades, put some stuff in my cart about it. Grabbing a 4 cent art card for Mondrak because wowza still 20+ bucks. I think the video would've been better with some of whatever you call the youtube dividers/sections. I only needed hobbit upgrades and just kind of scanned the progress bar thumbnail till I saw w/g/b cards.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Don't sleep on Call of the Ring, a guaranteed tempt every turn plus card draw when you choose a bearer is really good for 2 mana

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Mix. posted:

Threw together a budget Shagrat as he was one of the legendaries that actually piqued my interest and i got him in my prerelease kit; its meant to mostly be budget as far as equipment goes because a lot of the pricier equips i have like swords are in my other equipment matters deck but is there anything that stands out as missing or isn't as good as it seems?

How budget is budget? Is Sword of the Animist out the window for ramping purposes at $16?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TotalHell posted:

How budget is budget? Is Sword of the Animist out the window for ramping purposes at $16?

This version is under $7

https://scryfall.com/card/ltc/355/sword-of-the-animist

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Khanstant posted:

Handy for some quick upgrades, put some stuff in my cart about it. Grabbing a 4 cent art card for Mondrak because wowza still 20+ bucks. I think the video would've been better with some of whatever you call the youtube dividers/sections. I only needed hobbit upgrades and just kind of scanned the progress bar thumbnail till I saw w/g/b cards.

Thanks for the feedback I’ll add chapters now

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

TotalHell posted:

the one i have is in my other deck but i do have it flagged as a 'poo poo i need more ramp' swapsies since the other deck's got green in it so i can always just shove another ramp spell in that slot instead :v:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You know you can just move cards between decks right

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

In light of the death metal secret lair, what's a competent Nekusar deck look like? I know he's got a reputation of "don't let this motherfucker live," so I think most of the stuff on EDHRec is probably too cute and too reliant on the guy sticking around.

Do you just control shell, and on a single turn, drop Nekusar, Tainted Strike, wheel? (and/or Lab Man/Thoracle?)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty much. Nekusar kinda builds itself.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In light of the death metal secret lair, what's a competent Nekusar deck look like? I know he's got a reputation of "don't let this motherfucker live," so I think most of the stuff on EDHRec is probably too cute and too reliant on the guy sticking around.

Do you just control shell, and on a single turn, drop Nekusar, Tainted Strike, wheel? (and/or Lab Man/Thoracle?)

This is going to sound dismissive, but: there really isn't one. At anything other than the lowest-power tables, you're helping three other players draw into their game plans faster than you're killing them, and at those low-power tables he's so hated they'll save the little removal they run for him. Even if you stick him in a control shell, it's really hard to keep the rest of the table locked AND cast Nekusar AND pivot from controlling to winning. I think the closest analog is Opus Thief decks, and playing white goes a long way toward protecting their wins.

He's not unbuildable, but he's got the problem of being much less threatening than his reputation.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Taited Strike, Phyresis, and Glistening Oil for an infect kill, and there's a few other ways to ping opponents for drawing cards (Kederekt Parasite, Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted, Underworld Dreams). There's also Orcish Bowmasters, Fevered Visions, and Sheoldred, the Apocalypse to further punish your opponents for drawing cards. Faerie Mastermind should also draw you quite a few cards. You can go full cute and include the new RB Ob Nixilis from Aftermath as well as All Will Be One.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Taited Strike, Phyresis, and Glistening Oil for an infect kill, and there's a few other ways to ping opponents for drawing cards (Kederekt Parasite, Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted, Underworld Dreams). There's also Orcish Bowmasters, Fevered Visions, and Sheoldred, the Apocalypse to further punish your opponents for drawing cards. Faerie Mastermind should also draw you quite a few cards. You can go full cute and include the new RB Ob Nixilis from Aftermath as well as All Will Be One.

There's also Spiteful Visions, which is basically Howling Mine + Underworld Dreams on a single card.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That's the kind of card I'd like to avoid though. Even with Nekusar and a critical mass of similar effects and damage amplifiers, drawing everyone into answers would be suicide I think. Unless you can wipe them out in one turn anyway.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That's the kind of card I'd like to avoid though. Even with Nekusar and a critical mass of similar effects and damage amplifiers, drawing everyone into answers would be suicide I think. Unless you can wipe them out in one turn anyway.

Just do infect. Infect on Nekusar + a wheel. Crazy ramp so you can cast him and infect on him and dump a wheel on one turn. Ramp + wheel, accept that you are handing cards to your opponents, and you will lose some games because of this. Guess what, you might not have won those games anyway.

Do you want me to do an article on it? I've been tempted.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

tired: wheeling with infect nekusar

wired: wheeling with nekusar, maralen of the mornsong and ob nixilis unshackled on the board

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

disaster pastor posted:

This is going to sound dismissive, but: there really isn't one. At anything other than the lowest-power tables, you're helping three other players draw into their game plans faster than you're killing them, and at those low-power tables he's so hated they'll save the little removal they run for him. Even if you stick him in a control shell, it's really hard to keep the rest of the table locked AND cast Nekusar AND pivot from controlling to winning. I think the closest analog is Opus Thief decks, and playing white goes a long way toward protecting their wins.

He's not unbuildable, but he's got the problem of being much less threatening than his reputation.
There's someone at our play group who gets consistently annoyed that this is what happens to their Nekusar. It's moderate power generally, but everyone will hate on the deck and they walk away hurt every time like they got picked on, because there's enough removal to just suppress what it's trying to do and remove the control pieces (or someone draws into their wincon faster).

Generally it only manages to do well if it manages to make someone else the Archenemy, and Nekusar has time to get a really nasty engine going in the background.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Or just make the deck bad, but occasionally funny

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm making a Rocco, Street Chef deck after enjoying it a lot on brawl. Are there any cards that are good inserts now I'm going from a two player deck to a four player deck?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Urabrask, Heretic Praetor, both Etalis, Atsushi, Breeches, Ragavan, Experimental Synthesizer, Galvanic Relay, Eternal Scourge, Squee the Eternal, Grenzo, Havoc Raiser, Robber of the Rich, Furious Rise, Fires of Mount Doom, Outpost Siege, Stolen Strategy, Laelia, Tempered in Solitude, Valakut Exploration, Visions of Phyrexia and Stolen Strategy work well with Rocco

There are a ton more cards that let you rip the top card off of yours or your opponents' deck

Some +1/+1 counter/modified synergies may go well in the deck if you like, Kodama of the West Tree is basically a sword of the animist on every creature you control, and The Ozolith makes sure the counters stick around

Also just buy the hobbit food precon because you'll want like half the cards in there for all the food tokens synergies

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I'm making a Rocco, Street Chef deck after enjoying it a lot on brawl. Are there any cards that are good inserts now I'm going from a two player deck to a four player deck?

He's a lot worse when you are giving 3 opponents value and not just 1. I'd just pick a different commander.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Toshimo posted:

He's a lot worse when you are giving 3 opponents value and not just 1. I'd just pick a different commander.

Eh, i play magic to goof around and turn creatures sideways. I'm not especially fussed about power level

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Trying to help someone make a better Kenny deck. Non-cEDH, focusing on ETB and Kenny's reanimation effect, no Thoracle/Breach/Brain Freeze wins since it's meant to be played at an LGS's Commander Night (with "achievements"). Need suggestions/recommendations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Anything with big dumb splashy ETBs, plus loot/rummage effects would fit the bill I guess

Edit: also Zirda, Training Grounds and Biomancer's Familiar to reduce Kenny's ability costs

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Trying to help someone make a better Kenny deck. Non-cEDH, focusing on ETB and Kenny's reanimation effect, no Thoracle/Breach/Brain Freeze wins since it's meant to be played at an LGS's Commander Night (with "achievements"). Need suggestions/recommendations.

Theres like 5 elves who generate mana = their power so you can run a lot of elves and then use the mana to make your elves bigger and generate even more mana to pay for Kenny abilities. You can also go infinite but you don’t have to. Generating poo poo tons of mana will let your friend hit 10000 life if he wants deal 10000 damage or whatever thing the achievements are.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spike the cEDH meta: 5 underrated cEDH decks I would play

Always so sassy, lmao

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rebel owns

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any good guide on making a good manabase? I think it would help my decks a lot.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any good guide on making a good manabase? I think it would help my decks a lot.

Command Tower, Exotic Orchard, Fetches, Duals, Shocks, Battlebond, Pain, Basics in that order.

For 3+ colors, Mana Confluence, Brass City, Gemstone Caverns

Utility: Channel Lands, Boseiji Who Shelters, Gaea's Cradle, Ancient Tomb

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Apparently Starcity Games had a cEDH 5k

https://youtu.be/t-tVn5-6ip0

E:

Booo, it was not proxy friendly, booo

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 1, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AlternateNu posted:

Command Tower, Exotic Orchard, Fetches, Duals, Shocks, Battlebond, Pain, Basics in that order.

For 3+ colors, Mana Confluence, Brass City, Gemstone Caverns

Utility: Channel Lands, Boseiji Who Shelters, Gaea's Cradle, Ancient Tomb

Gonna make a big pile of proxies lol.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's also Reflecting Pool and Forbidden Orchard. If you're doing Tribal, then Unclaimed Territory, Cavern of Souls, and Secluded Courtyard. I like Plaza of Heroes as well, but a lot of people don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Don't sleep on Pathways, the untapped spell MDFCs, and the Horizon Canopy cycle.