Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
FFXVI owns but these are some of the lowest effort sidequests I’ve ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I like the one where you traumatize a lovely little kid

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

I watched someone play the demo of this and I might actually get it, it was really good

their previous game was amazing, really weird and artsy. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1093840/NiGHT_SIGNAL/ I'm down for anything this developer does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LTsEP82SKI

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Augus posted:

I like the one where you traumatize a lovely little kid
she was no angel

also the one with the rabid wolf, lol lmao

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

FFXV's sidequests were bad enough that I stopped doing them and beelined the plot quests

and I fuckin love sidequests

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ben Nerevarine posted:

there's an argument to be made that it contains the best boss battle in video game history

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the perfect sphere from ff8 is the best

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

triple sulk posted:

there's an argument to be made that it contains the best boss battle in video game history

from what I’ve seen so far I could believe that, the Eikon fights are spectacular

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Grapplejack posted:

their previous game was amazing, really weird and artsy. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1093840/NiGHT_SIGNAL/ I'm down for anything this developer does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LTsEP82SKI

dev is also a fellow goon

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
like if you showed me the Phoenix vs Ifrit fight at the beginning of the game to me when I was like 8 I probably would have had a seizure and died

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
cant it be august already, i wanna play shadow gambit

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

there are ethics in gaming

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Nonsense posted:

there are ethics in gaming

no there are epics in gaming, you can tell because the letters are purple

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The FF16 side quests are good specifically because they're so low-effort to do. They seem like they're just an excuse to talk to some NPCs and get little world-building vignettes. I actually prefer this to many other games' side quests that try and cram in a bunch of Content. When I go to do an FF16 side quest, I at least know that it's probably not going to be a pain in the rear end.

To take that "making a girl cry" side quest as an example, the game gives you a couple side quests in that town to communicate how exceptionally lovely it is to Bearers, likely because there no non-awkward way to do so in the main plot without hurting the pacing. It's basically just separating out some world-building NPC interaction into optional content.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

The FF16 side quests are good specifically because they're so low-effort to do. They seem like they're just an excuse to talk to some NPCs and get little world-building vignettes. I actually prefer this to many other games' side quests that try and cram in a bunch of Content. When I go to do an FF16 side quest, I at least know that it's probably not going to be a pain in the rear end.
this was 100% how I felt until after killing Kupka and then a lot of them started feeling like padding and a momentum-killer

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Ben Nerevarine posted:

a lot of them are boring but they did call one “caulk & bawl”

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

To take that "making a girl cry" side quest as an example, the game gives you a couple side quests in that town to communicate how exceptionally lovely it is to Bearers, likely because there no non-awkward way to do so in the main plot without hurting the pacing. It's basically just separating out some world-building NPC interaction into optional content.

i like the ones you do in your base for exactly this reason

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

punished milkman posted:

Goty

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You can do world building without making it extra boring.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

new update for the isle

you can now be a cute duck and annoy the giant dinos

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Popy posted:

new update for the isle

you can now be a cute duck and annoy the giant dinos

you should be respectful to your ancestors

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

dev is also a fellow goon

Oh he is? Cool!

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Schmoe Cwead posted:

gamer goldfish memory that cant recognize the pattern of every big aaa title published by american companies shipping unfinished and patched to an executable state a couple years later

Gulping Again has issued a correction as of 01:50 on Jun 27, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol i was going go back and be like 'a couple years later????'

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

one of these patches will make my favorite game Good

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

be the patch you want to see in the world

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

punished milkman posted:

this is the magic of michael-christopher koji fox

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

World War Mammories posted:

this is the magic of michael-christopher koji fox

I kept saying he has to be stopped but now it is too late, he can never be stopped

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

just chiming in to say that Slay The Spire is one of the most addicting loving games ive ever played in my life. I have already done a gently caress load of runs and its not stale whatsoever

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sam, iamsamman here

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Buddykins posted:

just chiming in to say that Slay The Spire is one of the most addicting loving games ive ever played in my life. I have already done a gently caress load of runs and its not stale whatsoever

it's a real good game that also makes me very mad sometimes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Buddykins posted:

i could never get into StS. it's too well-balanced if that makes sense. it makes me have to git gud instead of generating into a lucky hilariously OP synergistic build.

i enjoyed the unbalanced chaos of Monster Train more

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

sts is great but I suck at it so it’s bad

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I killed the heart and all I got was this lousy cheevo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

olives black posted:

ff16 looks, aesthetically, like it's doing it's best to
remind people of game of thrones

why. why would you do this

I feel like trying to attract a wider audience while titling the game Final Fantasy XVI are probably fundamentally at odds

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Saw a review that FF16's story is entirely about everyone being racist to the main character. Like, literally everyone you meet is a genocidal racist and the only culture is how much everyone loves being racist, and the main character just takes it the whole time and never sticks up for himself. c/d?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The newest Pokemon games run worse now than they did at launch. It's hard to capture in words how terrible they are.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Saw a review that FF16's story is entirely about everyone being racist to the main character. Like, literally everyone you meet is a genocidal racist and the only culture is how much everyone loves being racist, and the main character just takes it the whole time and never sticks up for himself. c/d?

That was Morrowind

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

D, Clive kills a shitload of fantasy racists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

That was Morrowind

thank you, that was my first thought to this