Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

they all think we’re lazy slackers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
remote jobs have existed for 25 years

the goog and frankly all the tech majors arent having it but thats because theyre tech majors, not cuz the jobs arent there

i know youre burnt to hell but that manichaeism is a symptom of the burnout

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
There’s way more of them now than pre pandemic too. A lot of low overhead services companies love it. I know of megacorps who have carved out WFH spots just for IT because it’s way easier to find talent nationally then it is adjacent to a physical location. And lots of healthy businesses are shutting down their offices in favor of WFH for nearly their whole workforces. There are also other organizations going the other way and I’m sure people are going to be left out cause the same # of opportunities just won’t be there

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pollyanna posted:

remote jobs don’t exist because i don’t believe any company corporation or business exists that actually trusts an employee they can’t measure via butt-in-chair

im working a remote job right now!!!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pollyanna posted:

is this not true? :hmmyes:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mr. Crow posted:

whats everyone using to search for remote jobs these days?

Someone recommended this a while back.

https://himalayas.app/

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Pollyanna posted:

remote jobs don’t exist because i don’t believe any company corporation or business exists that actually trusts an employee they can’t measure via butt-in-chair

believe what you want, they exist

Mr. Crow posted:

im working a remote job right now!!!

i’m on vacation but i will return to a remote job too!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

something job hunting recently has taught me is that there are a dozen companies named something like blorp, who provide powerful solutions for our digital age

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah this

my dad, who was never a computer toucher, became “remote” when his company shut down the office they had in my state and wanted everyone to relocate to texas in like 2001

he said “nah im good” and they let him expense a (albeit lovely) single office space and set him up with a pc and an isdn line

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i had a fully remote job for 8 years back in the late 90s early 00s

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m interviewing for a remote position with a giant European conglomerate to run their cloud platform team for 200 base/50k yearly bonus. I easy applied on LI yesterday and had the recruiter screen today. If that’s the kinda work you’re looking for it’s very nice

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm getting AZ-104 this summer hopefully. How do I parlay that + 10 years of healthcare desktop (lol) experience into a job where I don't have to get in a car every single day?

I just know an experience gate is waiting behind this education gate. Do I have to spend years doing contract work to have a chance?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I'm getting AZ-104 this summer hopefully. How do I parlay that + 10 years of healthcare desktop (lol) experience into a job where I don't have to get in a car every single day?

I just know an experience gate is waiting behind this education gate. Do I have to spend years doing contract work to have a chance?

as mentioned above, a lot of places (including state and federal inside America) are hiring remotely right now. i know for a fact that the city of portland is/was looking for a fully remote azure sysadmin as recent as two months ago.

insofar as an experience gate goes.. i think ten years of experience even in support with progressively more complex responsibilities would be a great talking point that shows growth in an interview

good luck with your exam!

Pollyanna posted:

:yeah:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

dioxazine posted:

insofar as an experience gate goes.. i think ten years of experience even in support with progressively more complex responsibilities would be a great talking point that shows growth in an interview

I hope so. It always feels like unless I've been sitting at the desk downstairs and doing exactly that job for years already, it doesn't count. IT is ultimately about delivering on projects and customer service, but too often it's "you need direct experience in doing this task in the Thingmaster 6000. Experience in TM4000 is not applicable, doing this task in another context is not applicable"

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
I have a call with an internal recruiter in a few days. The job posting had a salary range associated with it. When they ask my salary expectations, is it reasonable to just say the number at the top of that range back? Or do I need to cut a few thousand from my number to not come off like a prick?

I am only interested if they actually are willing to pay the top end of that salary range, so I'm just trying to find the best way to say that number given they have already listed the range. If that number is unreasonable, I won't take the job, but I would like to be as tactful as is appropriate

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

skooma512 posted:

Move somewhere with decent public transit.

Helpful answer: sometimes you can acquire the experience by taking a job somewhere that's desperate. Honestly that probably means getting a remote job with no experience is tough -- you're competing against tons of applicants. Better to apply to the local place requiring in-office that can't get anyone to apply--then after a year start applying elsewhere.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"i've seen the range and im confident that we will be able to come to an agreement."

or something about needing to find out more about the specifics - during the interview, probably - to give a number.

like you can only refuse to say a number for so long, but you almost definitely have a while before you're at the breaking point

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

cheque_some posted:

Helpful answer: sometimes you can acquire the experience by taking a job somewhere that's desperate. Honestly that probably means getting a remote job with no experience is tough -- you're competing against tons of applicants. Better to apply to the local place requiring in-office that can't get anyone to apply--then after a year start applying elsewhere.

I don't disagree with this but you'll need to be very firm about your work/life boundaries if you take this approach. Depending on your personality it can be really hard to jump off a sinking ship after you've gotten to know some of the people on it.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Its a Rolex posted:

I have a call with an internal recruiter in a few days. The job posting had a salary range associated with it. When they ask my salary expectations, is it reasonable to just say the number at the top of that range back? Or do I need to cut a few thousand from my number to not come off like a prick?

I am only interested if they actually are willing to pay the top end of that salary range, so I'm just trying to find the best way to say that number given they have already listed the range. If that number is unreasonable, I won't take the job, but I would like to be as tactful as is appropriate

I would answer above the top of the range (and not until late in the process). Achmed Jones' answer is good too but if you're not interested unless it's the max value, you're just wasting your own time if you ask for something lower.

More broadly, you never need to cut a few thousand from your number to not come off like a prick. People tend to respect folks who negotiate and put their ask high, even if they can't always meet it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Truman Peyote posted:

I would answer above the top of the range (and not until late in the process). Achmed Jones' answer is good too but if you're not interested unless it's the max value, you're just wasting your own time if you ask for something lower.

More broadly, you never need to cut a few thousand from your number to not come off like a prick. People tend to respect folks who negotiate and put their ask high, even if they can't always meet it.

yeah this. push off salary negotiations until they have decided they want you, then anchor high (like 10k over their max range?) so when they come back with "well, the best we can do is [max]" you can grumble a little bit and ask if they can make up for it with some stock or extra pto or whatever. if no, then you can still accept the top of their range

sometimes they can alter the position to bump up a level to get you the number you want, but also sometimes they will refuse to get to the top of their band. in the latter case maybe you're better off exploring other options anyway

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Achmed Jones posted:

"i've seen the range and im confident that we will be able to come to an agreement."

or something about needing to find out more about the specifics - during the interview, probably - to give a number.

like you can only refuse to say a number for so long, but you almost definitely have a while before you're at the breaking point

also be prepared to double down with something like “yes, I’m sure you’re aware of the market” because people will push back on this

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

something I’ve noticed more recently than before, on both sides of hiring/interviewing: some referral candidates acing technical rounds and getting rejected based on nebulous culture fit poo poo, while other referrals underperform in technicals and get a pass. starting to think there might be bias in hiring

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The culture fit stuff has to go. I interviewed someone who took a four year break from IT to go to a yoga retreat (and wound up doing IT help desk work or something for the retreat people which is how it lasted that long, but it sounded pretty cool) and someone in the hiring process is talking about culture fit and I have a suspicion it’s because this dude was brave enough to put something like that on his resume vs. some bullshit about how he was the VP of IT for a yoga enterprise or something

Edit: and to be clear they have relevant current experience for like the past half decade

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ask the person chatting about it what a correct culture fit would look like and why they are sure they are one (maybe do not actually do this, depending on who they are)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
missed it by a page but ive passed a couple drug tests

one of them was even mine

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AWWNAW posted:

something I’ve noticed more recently than before, on both sides of hiring/interviewing: some referral candidates acing technical rounds and getting rejected based on nebulous culture fit poo poo, while other referrals underperform in technicals and get a pass. starting to think there might be bias in hiring

:wth: unheard of

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

AWWNAW posted:

I'm interviewing a candidate this week who's been shuttling around our pipeline / kept warm for over a month. I love her resume and from what I've heard she's been put through an extremely rigorous tech test and passed so far. But she's got a big gap on her resume for dropping out for a family health thing and there was some nebulous question raised about her communication ability.

Im trying to go into the interview with a fair and open mind, but like, kinda dunno why we risked sitting on this so long and why no other company has snapped her up. Will see, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

it’s sexism op

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I bet the problem with her communication is that she isn't assertive enough and spends too much time trying to build a consensus

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

it’s sexism op

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CPColin posted:

I bet the problem with her communication is that she isn't assertive enough and spends too much time trying to build a consensus

but not so assertive that she becomes aggressive and difficult to work with!!! then we might have to fire her lol!!!!

:/

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Please evaluate how much credence you give to a complaint about communication that you’ve described as nebulous.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Yep. I'm very much on this same wavelength here, but I'm not the hiring manager so whatever i do needs to be persuasive and focus primarily on what evidence i can pull out of my interview with her. Have to be careful on how to phrase my opinion of what I've heard so far about other takes.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

working with ladies is the worst, they get all wound up over equal pay and then their uterus starts roaming around the office causing trouble, its just a mess frankly

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

jemand posted:

Yep. I'm very much on this same wavelength here, but I'm not the hiring manager so whatever i do needs to be persuasive and focus primarily on what evidence i can pull out of my interview with her. Have to be careful on how to phrase my opinion of what I've heard so far about other takes.

"she's great, you guys are nuts."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"She told me she thinks the average penis size is three inches so you're all good."

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
in my experience, bad communication in an interview setting usually means "didn't understand what i was saying and I had trouble addressing that once it became obvious". if you see anyone in an interview go off in the wrong direction and have trouble reining them back in, thats a red flag as one hard-to-correct misunderstanding is pretty high statistically for a single hour session.

I'd watch for situations where the candidate goes off with a faulty understanding and has trouble being reined in. If the candidate keeps up, and can push the conversation forward, I'd note them as strong counterexamples, which is important to combat a coworkers bad feedback especially if it's just a sexism thing.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

RokosCockatrice posted:

in my experience, bad communication in an interview setting usually means "didn't understand what i was saying and I had trouble addressing that once it became obvious". if you see anyone in an interview go off in the wrong direction and have trouble reining them back in, thats a red flag as one hard-to-correct misunderstanding is pretty high statistically for a single hour session.

I'd watch for situations where the candidate goes off with a faulty understanding and has trouble being reined in. If the candidate keeps up, and can push the conversation forward, I'd want to be armed with strong counterexamples, which is important if a coworkers bad feedback is just a sexism thing.

In my experience it usually means their accent was too thick but ymmv

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
you can't quote somebody in the edit grace period, thats so rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

keep in mind that a company can reject you for any reason they want as long as they have an excuse to hide behind