Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the kana clearly reads "chyo ko bo" チョコボ

Going to scream this verbatim next time someone accuses me of having brain damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They've been pronouncing it with a long o (like "choke-uh-bo") in English for a while now. 16's a departure going for something more like "chocolate."

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Harrow posted:

They've been pronouncing it with a long o (like "choke-uh-bo") in English for a while now. 16's a departure going for something more like "chocolate."

TBH FFXIV’s vocal direction is strong enough that we could easily argue the pronunciations in it are a specific regional dialect and don’t necessarily reflect the “correct” way to talk about the giant horse birds and the flying puffy dangly-tumored koalas in other contexts.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

drat, how you got so much money, is it the Money Ring™ or something?

Nah, I'm just near the end of the game and did every quest and monster hunt as soon as it was available. I also never purchased consumables which might have helped.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the same thing happened in nier automata op. you run into issues like that if you have to cater to JRPG fans who prefer less mechanically intensive games and like them for the stories

Yeah, I've thought of that comparison several times, haha.

Harrow posted:

You can see the same thing happen (with different consequences) with every action FF. FFXV has its weird attempt at a Wait Mode system. FF7R has a somewhat more successful Wait Mode and also a mode that attempts to automate most of the action mechanics. They keep trying to make an action combat system that doesn't alienate ATB/turn-based fans and while they've at least made two action combat systems that feel good to play (7R and XVI), I don't think it's really possible to have it both ways. You just end up with a combat system that satisfies neither group.

Yeah, this exactly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

7R is probably as good a fusion of classic rpg and action rpg combat can get. Though tbf it is really drat good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, FF7 isn't a 'good enough' system for me. It's just a really genuinely fun and well made combat system.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

FF7R was perfect imo. Fun to learn and feels good when you just embarrass a boss with constant staggers and 200% bonus attacks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I never got good at FF7R. I see videos of people going absolutely ham on bosses but I couldn't really get the rhythm down, which sorta halted my Hard mode run as a result.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

FF7R is Perfect

Chocobo like Chosen

Mario like Mom

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

the origin is a portmanteau of "chick" and "chocolate ball", but the pronunciation since FFX is a longstanding retcon in the west. the kana clearly reads "chyo ko bo" チョコボ

as with many things concerning their lore, square is having it both ways, japanese pronounce chocolate as "chyo ko reh toe" チョコレート

I'm no Japanese master but チョ is pronounced 'cho'

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

FF7Remake has a great combat system and I wold be totally fine with FF just doing that for the next few years (but XVI's combat system is fine too).

The only really annoying parts are when it gets cute with enemy resistances - the main culprits are Hell House, the Ghost boss, and the optional boss they added in the DLC.

Morpheus posted:

I never got good at FF7R. I see videos of people going absolutely ham on bosses but I couldn't really get the rhythm down, which sorta halted my Hard mode run as a result.
The 'secret' to FF7R's combat system is that enemies mostly aggro on whoever you're currently controlling, but ATB gauge also builds very slowly if you're not controlling someone. You're not meant to stick to someone, you're meant to switch around to someone to suddenly pull aggro off you when things are getting hairy so that someone else can do their thing.

As far as the combat system goes the basics are pretty simple. Doing specific things to an enemy, or just plain dealing damage to them, inflicts the Pressured state. if they're Pressured you can use moves with 'Focused' in their name, like 'Focused Thrust' or other moves that do multi-hits, to make them staggered.

Once staggered you go ham on them - again, multihit moves increase more on the stagger bar and some characters have moves that are specifically great at stagger-boosting, like Aerith's Ray of Judgement.

Then right before the Staggered state ends you want everyone to absolutely unload with their biggest move - Cloud in particular has one that does a bajillion damage as long as you don't wait too long to use it because the windup is ridiculous.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Morpheus posted:

I'm no Japanese master but チョ is pronounced 'cho'

yes, chi plus (tiny) yo, cho

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 27, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
PUNISHER MODE

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

7R is probably as good a fusion of classic rpg and action rpg combat can get. Though tbf it is really drat good

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, FF7 isn't a 'good enough' system for me. It's just a really genuinely fun and well made combat system.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

FF7R was perfect imo. Fun to learn and feels good when you just embarrass a boss with constant staggers and 200% bonus attacks.

Same, it owns, and most complaints I've seen of it are either skill issue or lack of proper understanding. Insanely well-tuned system that is wide open to newbies but also has a high skill ceiling.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FF7R’s combat owns hard and the fact that they’re adding dual techs in Rebirth (and dare I hope for triple techs???) is the hypest poo poo around

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s honestly one of the best combat systems of all time. Absolute top shelf stuff. Mechanically sound, visually and audibly a full on spectacle, allows the player to commit to it however seriously they want.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

ShoogaSlim posted:

while we're on the subject, the ma- in mario is like "married" not like "mom" or "marge". idfc how he says it in game or anywhere else

also as a non final fantasy fan who doesn't give a poo poo either way... its choke-a-bow

Well according to SF6 I've been pronouncing Zangief wrong my entire life, so

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The only complaint I had about FF7R's combat was that in a number of the boss fights, it seemed like the stagger gauge tended to fill up just as the boss hit one of its hard HP breakpoints. You'd get it to stagger when it was at 52% HP, then you start unleashing your damage moves only for it to hit 50% and immediately whisk itself into a brief cutscene and no-sell the other 100k damage you were about to deliver.

Otherwise I think it was even better than FFXVI's and I've been meaning to do a replay with the DLC but who has time during the Summer of Games?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phenotype posted:

The only complaint I had about FF7R's combat was that in a number of the boss fights, it seemed like the stagger gauge tended to fill up just as the boss hit one of its hard HP breakpoints. You'd get it to stagger when it was at 52% HP, then you start unleashing your damage moves only for it to hit 50% and immediately whisk itself into a brief cutscene and no-sell the other 100k damage you were about to deliver.

Yeah this is the one thing I didn't really like.

On a replay it almost never happened to me because once you really get the system, you can build stagger much more quickly and actually get some good damage phases in. The problem is, most players aren't going to get to that point until towards the end of their first playthrough, which means you end up with that really frustrating thing where the phase change always happens right as you get a stagger.

Even if they keep doing the stagger reset phase changes in Rebirth, I hope they at least add, like, hashmarks on boss HP bars to let you know when phase changes are coming. That way you at least won't blow all your limit breaks and stuff just to waste them.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Phenotype posted:

Otherwise I think it was even better than FFXVI's and I've been meaning to do a replay with the DLC but who has time during the Summer of Games?

Yeah, on paper FFXVI’s should be my favorite because I like the genre so much… but FF7R winds up being vastly superior by virtue of having encounter design that compliments the systems. I liked it a lot.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Phenotype posted:

FF16 sometimes has those cutscenes, but I think they always leave the boss in a stagger state, which is a nice fix. Hope rebirth does that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

acksplode posted:

FF16 sometimes has those cutscenes, but I think they always leave the boss in a stagger state, which is a nice fix.

When they don't, they usually happen at the end of a boss's HP bar, and the next phase starts with them having a new full bar as functionally a new fight with your cooldowns reset. It neatly avoids the frustration FF7R's system could sometimes lead to and yeah both of those would be a good solution.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The best thing about Final Fantasy 16 is that it's the definitive version because I just saw that Clive is uncut.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Oscar Wild posted:

The best thing about Final Fantasy 16 is that it's the definitive version because I just saw that Clive is uncut.

Clive "Thundergun" Rosfield

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Uh oh FF16 is clicking for me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Holy poo poo FFXVI is fun as gently caress. Still shocked from that beginning.

Oscar Wild posted:

Wait what.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

ThermoPhysical posted:

Holy poo poo FFXVI is fun as gently caress. Still shocked from that beginning.

Wait what.

Keep playing. This game is so good. This game incorporates a ton of cool thematic homages from the early final fantasy games. I felt a lot of FF4 from the prologue, the eikons are what espers must have been like in FF6, it's just great.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Say it ain't so... :ohdear:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing that drives me kind of nuts is that Clive’s zip to the enemy ability is so useful/constant that every time I switch to green magic it fucks my flow up. Feel like that should just be a default ability with a dedicated button.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

One thing that drives me kind of nuts is that Clive’s zip to the enemy ability is so useful/constant that every time I switch to green magic it fucks my flow up. Feel like that should just be a default ability with a dedicated button.

Press attack and jump at the same time to lunge, which is effectively the same move i many cases, although it won't zip you up in the air when your target is airborne, is what I usually do to get in close to my next target if I don't happen to be in phoenix at the time

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, you have to unlock it, but the basic dash attack is largely the same. It also combos into more moves and has less recovery frames if you misjudge distance. It won’t take you into the air, but garuda’s grab is better for that anyway.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Press attack and jump at the same time to lunge, which is effectively the same move i many cases, although it won't zip you up in the air when your target is airborne, is what I usually do to get in close to my next target if I don't happen to be in phoenix at the time

:eyepop: I had no idea you could do that

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

veni veni veni posted:

I use the Lunge move a lot. Sadly doesn't work against airborne enemies.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If you go into the ability menu and press triangle on an ability, it shows you a detailed description of the ability and how you should use it.

Its super helpful if you are unsure what an ability does.

For example I think in Lunge's case it does more damage if you do it at max range and you get the "Extreme Lunge" bonus

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 27, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

its my favorite game of the year.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

abelwingnut posted:

right, i thought the patch was supposed to address both the issues with performance mode and the issue where you can turn off motion blur. could very well be wrong there. i've only read about the patch in this thread, so not sure what's official.

Nothing is official, they mentioned they might consider adding an motion blur slider and maybe a button config. Thats it.

30fps is fine, 40-60 is just what frame rate mode is and its always 60 in fights. Slap it on 30 and embrace it and maybe keep that camera movement low if the blur is too much

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Anyone else getting very annoyed by the FF16 camera's constant "auto-return to center" while running around? Like this camera has no chill for letting me pan around while running. Most games will give you a toggle or an adjustable delay before camera begins snapping back to straight-ahead. Here it starts as soon as I let go of right thumb stick.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I just accepted it. Point the camera in the general direction of what you need to see and let the computer drive the camera. Treat it like the on-rails cameras in DMC1-4. Otherwise you'll go mad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Atomic Heart is getting story DLC in 1 month, and ng+ is available as of today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1SOohjUWd8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Just did the Hugo fight. My loving god.