Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Here's what may be what happened to Steam.

Steam did a change where the URL for confirmations has changed, so WinAuth is down. There's other posts about it since it broke SDA and ASF. ASF fixed the issue for ASF pronto, and if you use ASF there's a command you can use until SDA is fixed. Since WinAuth is no longer in development, WinAuth will not be fixed. Someone forked WinAuth to fix the URL, so if you trust that, you can switch to the forked version. More info with links here:
https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/x9keU/sda-confirmations-and-asf-auto-bot-trades-not-working-since-yesterday

Glad I didn't miss this post, thanks for the heads up!

Real smart of Valve to update this back-end stuff without a single word (typical), and moments before a big Sale too! I imagine there might be a few pissed off people who are now getting a 15 day lock-down on their account if they were needing to change methods because of this sudden change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Real smart of Valve to update this back-end stuff without a single word (typical), and moments before a big Sale too! I imagine there might be a few pissed off people who are now getting a 15 day lock-down on their account if they were needing to change methods because of this sudden change.

Those aren't public APIs, Valve can change them whenever they feel like because nobody outside of Valve should be using them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
wtf is winauth, who uses it and for what purpose

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the possibility that the girl genius game might be good has me reeling. i'm a fan of the comic, but "webcomic team gets into gaming" seemed like a recipe for absolute disaster

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People was good

e: Homestar Runner wasn't a webcomic, I guess, but it absolutely was webcomics-adjacent

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
VIDELECTRIX had a strong stable of successful game projects already. i would have doubted them too without their existing hits Peasant Quest and Where's An Egg?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Venuz Patrol posted:

the possibility that the girl genius game might be good has me reeling. i'm a fan of the comic, but "webcomic team gets into gaming" seemed like a recipe for absolute disaster

The later Penny Arcade games were pretty good, they were by the Cosmic Star Heroine people and were pretty solid RPGs at the time.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I know it came up a while ago but I just want to reiterate how loving wonderful Webbed is.

If you like any of:
  • Cute spiders who can dance
  • Cute bugs
  • Great 2D art/animation
  • Excellent web-slinging movement (like, as satisfying as Spiderman 2-levels of satisfying)
  • Weaving actual functional webs to trap fruit flies
  • Platforming
  • Physics puzzles
  • Doing sweet skateboarding tricks
  • Communist ants driving a mech
  • Shooting lasers
then you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

It's a gorgeous and fun game with a very weird and good humour about everything.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Infinity Gaia posted:

The later Penny Arcade games were pretty good, they were by the Cosmic Star Heroine people and were pretty solid RPGs at the time.

First one was ok too.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Can anyone who still plays this weird game tell me if the first match you play after the tutorial in PUBG is against bots? I downloaded it because a friend thought it would be fun to take a trip down memory lane and I need to confirm something.

The 1/3 already played here, that is.

It's a "casual mode match", it seems.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tried the demo for Trepang², and while I can see what they're going for it's not really making the best impression. A lot of the firefights in the demo are in cramped, narrow, dark hallways, which don't really lend themselves well for the sort of high-speed run and gun gameplay they´re shooting for. When it does open up into larger arenas it works much better, but it's hard to gauge whether those are the rule or the exception. The guns feel nice and beefy, but I'm not the biggest fan of the way they tend to spray all over the place . Plus the demo managed to crash to desktop twice in half an hour.

But the absolute very worst part: Halfway through the demo you see a guy impaled by a cool sword, and you don't get the option to take the sword and slice people up. :arghfist::saddowns:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Zereth posted:

I just got around to trying the Fortune's Run demo and is it just me or do you die incredibly fast? Maybe the game just expects a lot more skill/reflexes than I have but the bullet time doesn't last very long and you just evaporate if you take more than one or two hits.

Yeah, it's very kill fast/die fast and you are I think intended to rely heavily on stealth. It's really not a run and gun FPS, if that's what you were expecting. You can adjust damage taken in the difficulty settings, unless they've changed it from the Realm's Deep demo.

Something that might throw you (it was not obvious to me the first time I played) is that the game doesn't expect you to successfully complete the final exam in the tutorial. It's not impossible to do (I've done it), but it's way harder than the rest of the demo (the last fight, in particular), and when you inevitably get owned they offer you a by.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
How has the Uncharted PC port come along? Nice sale on it at the moment and might look to rebuy if it's been sorted out.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Tried the demo for Trepang², and while I can see what they're going for it's not really making the best impression. A lot of the firefights in the demo are in cramped, narrow, dark hallways, which don't really lend themselves well for the sort of high-speed run and gun gameplay they´re shooting for. When it does open up into larger arenas it works much better, but it's hard to gauge whether those are the rule or the exception. The guns feel nice and beefy, but I'm not the biggest fan of the way they tend to spray all over the place . Plus the demo managed to crash to desktop twice in half an hour.

But the absolute very worst part: Halfway through the demo you see a guy impaled by a cool sword, and you don't get the option to take the sword and slice people up. :arghfist::saddowns:

The gunplay & slow-mo itself felt really good as well as the sound design (NOT the music design), but yea too much of the game is too dark. The flashlight needs to be way brighter, or just stop trying to make the game a spooppy horror game. I think I've done 3 levels now, seems to be a good blend of kinda narrow sections and wider open sections. I can't say I've enjoyed pretty much any of the boss fights.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

The gunplay & slow-mo itself felt really good as well as the sound design (NOT the music design), but yea too much of the game is too dark. The flashlight needs to be way brighter, or just stop trying to make the game a spooppy horror game. I think I've done 3 levels now, seems to be a good blend of kinda narrow sections and wider open sections. I can't say I've enjoyed pretty much any of the boss fights.

I thought the gameplay was pretty good but the first level is extremely lovely with it's narrow dark corridors.

Does it get better later?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Like I said each level seems to have different sections. The last one I remember was like, "go raid this giant mansion" and you have some fights in a large outdoor court yard that's pretty cool. And then you also find yourself running through hallways and libraries inside the mansion which are much less good.

Definitely not the best level design.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack Trades posted:

I thought the gameplay was pretty good but the first level is extremely lovely with it's narrow dark corridors.

Does it get better later?

No, it gets a lot worse. The action and gunplay is great but the level design is really loving bad. As much as I was singing it's praises after launch I actually ended up refunding it after the end of the second level because trying to shoehorn in monster stuff felt bad and it sounds like it goes further in that direction. The monster area was just overgrown brown goop everywhere and there was a lot of walking around completely empty environments while somber music played and text logs tell you that everyone was evacuated and that's why you don't see anybody in any of the levels.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bad actor warning. This guy is sending out poorly spelled links about upcoming changes to steam. His account might have been compromised.
Jardel Coelho

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jossar posted:

Cards sold, going to make a grand total of two dollars, the system works I guess.

Lucky! Almost none of the games I play have them so I only had like 4.5 pages of them and only one worth anything to speak

e: I have made about 50 cents tho

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Black Griffon posted:

Can anyone who still plays this weird game tell me if the first match you play after the tutorial in PUBG is against bots? I downloaded it because a friend thought it would be fun to take a trip down memory lane and I need to confirm something.

The 1/3 already played here, that is.

It's a "casual mode match", it seems.

Yeah, they added bots two years ago or so and it was a big controversy. New players get them more apparently, and off-peak hours get them too.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

err posted:

Yeah, they added bots two years ago or so and it was a big controversy. New players get them more apparently, and off-peak hours get them too.

Dreadful. One of my buds wanted us to add Fortnite to the rotation as well, because the no-build mode really is quite fun, but I genuinely lose all motivation if there's a chance I'm playing against a bot, especially if the game does its utmost to make the bots indistinguishable from real players (varied cosmetics, unpredictable naming schemes etc.)

I need to know that I'm killing something real.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Steam Thread: I need to know that I'm killing something real.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Something that might throw you (it was not obvious to me the first time I played) is that the game doesn't expect you to successfully complete the final exam in the tutorial. It's not impossible to do (I've done it), but it's way harder than the rest of the demo (the last fight, in particular), and when you inevitably get owned they offer you a by.

Seriously? I was so bad at the tutorial I gave up before finishing and decided it wasn't for me. I really wanted to like it!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Born of Bread is expanding its demo playability for another 2 weeks. Luna Abyss demo will run now until July 3rd.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Dreadful. One of my buds wanted us to add Fortnite to the rotation as well, because the no-build mode really is quite fun, but I genuinely lose all motivation if there's a chance I'm playing against a bot, especially if the game does its utmost to make the bots indistinguishable from real players (varied cosmetics, unpredictable naming schemes etc.)

I need to know that I'm killing something real.

if you cant tell youre playing against a bot, then whats the issue?

also, i think they only pair new/terrible players against bots, so just play the game a bit and dont be terrible and it wont be a problem

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

also, i think they only pair new/terrible players against bots, so just play the game a bit and dont be terrible and it wont be a problem

While your first few games are mostly or entirely bots, I think the game still occasionally backfills with them outside of ranked/tournament modes regardless of any sort of internal matchmaking. They're basically just cannon fodder that get picked off very early in a round though; it's not very impactful to the game.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah even when I was heavily playing COD Mobile battle royale where half the lobbies are bots, if you had any survival skills at all and got close to final circle stage most of the players by then would be real players. With the exception being like your very first game being nearly 100% bots, but it's also a phone game so 100x worse than anything else by default

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

If you don't intuitively understand it then I don't think I can sufficiently explain it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This reminded me of the time my sister let her daughter, who was I think about three, take the controls during a PUBG game. She fired her gun at the sun, ran into a house, ignored all prompting to pick up a new gun and instead found a sink and asked how she could do the dishes. Got disheartened when told she couldn't, all 'well what's the point of this game then'.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

If you don't intuitively understand it then I don't think I can sufficiently explain it.

let me lay out a hypothetical to help me understand

you queue up with a buddy and get into a match. During the match, you get into several firefights with other players. You win some and get some kills, but near the end your squad gets wiped. Overall, it was a fun match tho, and you immediately look back at it fondly for whatever reason, maybe there was a really good firefight you got into before wiping. At no point during the match did you notice anything weird or suspect with the other players, they just seemed like normal players

hours later, you look up the detailed stats and find out that 1/3 of the server were bots, theres no way of telling which specific players were bots

would this cause you to reconsider the fondness you felt for the match before?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think you can always tell if they are bots, it's why it's not really that fun to play against them. In Pubg, the bots were always so awful it was never a surprise when you killed them. I think the worst is when they don't tell you there are bots in a game, you play a few matches and think you're doing well, and then you get thrown in to the general population and it's a completely different game. The one game that did this was the arena game that had Portal guns, it really pissed me off.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

let me lay out a hypothetical to help me understand

you queue up with a buddy and get into a match. During the match, you get into several firefights with other players. You win some and get some kills, but near the end your squad gets wiped. Overall, it was a fun match tho, and you immediately look back at it fondly for whatever reason, maybe there was a really good firefight you got into before wiping. At no point during the match did you notice anything weird or suspect with the other players, they just seemed like normal players

hours later, you look up the detailed stats and find out that 1/3 of the server were bots, theres no way of telling which specific players were bots

Yes

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Yeah. It’s creepy if you can’t tell bots from people. I can’t believe PubG does that lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

To be fair, PUBG experience is walking around collecting trash until you get sniped by someone you couldn't possibly see, so I can believe that you can make bots able to replicate that experience.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jack Trades posted:

To be fair, PUBG experience is walking around collecting trash until you get sniped by someone you couldn't possibly see, so I can believe that you can make bots able to replicate that experience.

That’s the last thing I saw before having steam processing my return.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I can't believe I agree with a PA comic. Imagine playing with other people, jeez.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

buglord posted:

Yeah. It’s creepy if you can’t tell bots from people. I can’t believe PubG does that lol.

i see

i dont quite understand, but i see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Time and a place for bots sure, but it is weird to try to pass them off as real players when the expectation is you are actually playing with real players