Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I have a lot of tolerance for slow pacing but this stretch after the third mothercrystal is driving me barmy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

I have a lot of tolerance for slow pacing but this stretch after the third mothercrystal is driving me barmy

Aw shoot. Something to look forward to tomorrow :negative:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

They're right, easily the worst, most boring Eikon fight so far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really do like the cast of characters in this game a lot. Cid's an obvious standout, but Clive is really good, too, in the running for my favorite FF protagonist so far. Gav rules, too. And even though I wish Jill was given more to do she's also a very likeable character and the parts where she takes the spotlight are awesome.

Past-"disc 1" spoilers (you know the part): I enjoy how proactive and comparatively mature Clive becomes post-time skip. And hey, I did say I wanted an FF game where the main character is Cid, didn't I?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Much like the whole game, a little bit of editing down would have gone a long way to improve that fight. The substance is okay, it just repeats too much

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Buying this game on PC when it inevitably releases and modifying the Eikon Fight themesongs to just be this on loop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do like how Hugo has this constant "I'm not owned!" vibe after he loses his hands.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I must have a really high tolerance for “boring” because I’ve never been bored even when doing side quests like “clear the bees from the grape vines” and poo poo like that. I just like chilling and playing the game.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Harrow posted:

I really do like the cast of characters in this game a lot. Cid's an obvious standout, but Clive is really good, too, in the running for my favorite FF protagonist so far. Gav rules, too. And even though I wish Jill was given more to do she's also a very likeable character and the parts where she takes the spotlight are awesome.

Past-"disc 1" spoilers (you know the part): I enjoy how proactive and comparatively mature Clive becomes post-time skip. And hey, I did say I wanted an FF game where the main character is Cid, didn't I?

Yeah I wasn't expecting to like Clive as much as I do, tbqh. I thought he was gonna be mr. gritty grimdark and he turns out to be a lot better than that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I must have a really high tolerance for “boring” because I’ve never been bored even when doing side quests like “clear the bees from the grape vines” and poo poo like that. I just like chilling and playing the game.

Yeah! at no point did I ever feel bored with this game. It was great. Its so rare that I play a game and dont feel bored at some point for certain sections, or have moments that really dont vibe with me.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have had the occasional moment of "I wanna get to the next eikon battle already" (looking at you, Boklad), but that's mostly due to me trying to fit in a bunch of stuff into limited playtime in a day.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Spoilers for scene where you get your fourth eikon set

I'm glad someone clipped this because I heard Patrick Star and it's just so drat funny to me

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/633523896565497876/1122999364651069511/SPOILER_SPOILER_188f45395d755-master_playlist.mp4

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arrrthritis posted:

Yeah I wasn't expecting to like Clive as much as I do, tbqh. I thought he was gonna be mr. gritty grimdark and he turns out to be a lot better than that.

Same, he's pretty great. I think it's the moments where he breaks out of his usual subdued grimness that make the difference, like when he meets Byron. Still basically a scared child, since he was stuck as a slave soldier for most of his adult life.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm glad someone clipped this because I heard Patrick Star and it's just so drat funny to me

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/633523896565497876/1122999364651069511/SPOILER_SPOILER_188f45395d755-master_playlist.mp4

gently caress you now i cant unhear it

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

FireWorksWell posted:

I don't know why, but I can't stop myself from giggling when I see his hands bounce up an inch every time he slams the ground.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

BisbyWorl posted:

I don't know why, but I can't stop myself from giggling when I see his hands bounce up an inch every time he slams the ground.

Hahaha I didn't pay attention to that before and now I'm in the same boat

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Man, I’m actually really appreciating how “back to basics” XVI is in a lot of ways. Love how I’m just essentially going around to various crystal shrines and “doing the [entry unique thing]” there.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ok I'm past the fifth? Eikon and lmao I knew that creepy loving kid was some kinda vessel

Game is ridiculous, wish they just cut a few hours off of it still in terms of the padding quests because they didn't really need all of them

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Drake's Fang spoilers technically, I Guess, but: God, I'd been doing such a good job of not getting any music stuck in my head to this point but the last Titan phase finally got me, specifically like 30 seconds of it.

That whole bit owned though.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
I'm in the minority with this but it's the same way I felt in HZD - I am really into the main story and filler really sticks out. Gameplay itself is getting in the way of getting me to the next story point, mostly because it's not challenging at all. I think I'd be more satisfied if the "Final Fantasy mode" difficulty was available from the get-go. I've done a couple no-hit boss challenges just to push myself but regular combat for the most part is as interesting as pressing R2 to open gates. Towards the end it's just annoying speed bumps of two waves of goobers followed by third wave of goobers with yellow bar guy. Ult, Ult, stagger combo melt. Do that for 5 tilesets in a row then boss. Can you even lose Eikon battles?

It's also got the FF14 disease in having a bunch of dialogue you can't advance or even if you do, you still have to watch the character model pivot, react, pivot, walk, pivot, sit (I get that most game models do this, but it feels egregious here with how long the animations take). Walk across hub, talk to duder, walk back across hub, talk to gal, walk back across hub, talk to kiddo, repeat every time you touch base.

Which is to say, I'm enjoying the game and the set pieces are loving fantastic, but they could have really had a 10/10 with some QOL changes and moving up the difficulty for those that want it earlier.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Got the 4th eikon set and this game continues to be great. I finally lasered in on what I think is my only criticism thus far is: the game zooms from plot point to plot point and doesn't give itself a lot of connectivity between them. The example that finally codified this for me was right around this point (4th eikon):

Kupka is razing Rosalith! Obviously he's trying to draw Clive out since it's an imperial backwater whose vicereine doesn't care about its wellbeing. Can't approach from the west-- they came in by sea themselves. Can't approach from the south-- they are blockading the only bridge. Gotta come from the north where Phoenix Gate used to be, through Stillwind where they aren't watching the blight. This is a cool attention to detail of the geopolitical machinations the game is going through great lengths to show. Except the very next scene Jill and Clive are already shown sneaking around Rosalith. Why go through the narrative effort of describing this dilemma if you aren't going to show it? This could *really* have used a travel montage or something.

This complaint borders on nothing because maybe this is a deliberate choice, but it definitely makes the world feel smaller.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It is very abrupt yes. Just you wait, though, the game is going to go as hard as it can in the other direction and you will be begging for it to handwave that stuff pretty quickly.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Welp. Got to that first point of no return.

Went from there all the way to when you unlock Hideaway 2 and I am emotionally drained and exhausted. It wasn't a long play session, but it was a good one.

I've been enjoying tackling this game in like 3 hour chunks. Really savoring everything.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mordiceius posted:

Hell yeah brother

I'm going around hosing down people's wild dog problems and getting them a snack from the shops, then turning into fire Godzilla and blowing up a mountain, then heading to the library to read some books about olden times

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mordiceius posted:

Welp. Got to that first point of no return.

Went from there all the way to when you unlock Hideaway 2 and I am emotionally drained and exhausted. It wasn't a long play session, but it was a good one.

I've been enjoying tackling this game in like 3 hour chunks. Really savoring everything.

I'm at basically the same point, bit further ahead.

I'm astounded at how, somehow, (Major Character Spoilers) Joshua has rocketed up to being a top favorite character. I don't know what the gently caress he's up to but goddamn he got badass over the timeskip, never would've figured he'd become so cool based on how he was as a kid/in all the marketing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Best scene in the game up to getting the fourth eikon imo.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm astounded at how, somehow, (Major Character Spoilers) Joshua has rocketed up to being a top favorite character. I don't know what the gently caress he's up to but goddamn he got badass over the timeskip, never would've figured he'd become so cool based on how he was as a kid/in all the marketing.

Everything he does as an adult is a natural extension of who he was as a child. When he heard conflict and smelled burning, he immediately got up and put on his sword and took charge of the situation with Wade, and ignored Tyler telling him not to waste his power on healing him. Joshua - as a child and as an adult - is brave and self-sacrificial.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

also his outfit is much better than clives vampire costume

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Also! (post point of no return character spoiler) Ultima is loving creepy what the gently caress. was not expecting that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Aspects of this game’s story (at least early on) also give Mistborn vibes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The ferryman and the merchant are named Charon and Obolus but if you blindly guessed which one was which you'd be wrong

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Also! (post point of no return character spoiler) Ultima is loving creepy what the gently caress. was not expecting that.

God yeah when they start speaking English instead of whatever language they speak to Clive in, they got even creepier. That really alien monotone is perfect

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What’s the level cap?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

RatHat posted:

What’s the level cap?

I believe it's 50 normally, then 100 in NG+

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

I feel like I must be missing something with Eikon 5's circle ability. Is the only way to charge it up really just the slow charge while walking around disarmed, with a bit more charge for precision dodging? Why would I ever use this?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

God yeah when they start speaking English instead of whatever language they speak to Clive in, they got even creepier. That really alien monotone is perfect

They immediately made me think of Chaos in Hades.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bland posted:

I feel like I must be missing something with Eikon 5's circle ability. Is the only way to charge it up really just the slow charge while walking around disarmed, with a bit more charge for precision dodging? Why would I ever use this?

2 precision dodges gets you up to charge 3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bland posted:

You can use the Satellite skill to blast stuff while you're charging and lvl 4 gives you a long lasting AoE

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

One aspect of the game that I hope ends up getting credit is the thrash mobs.

They do a ton of work in pushing players towards the aggressive, in-your-face, playstyle where the game is at its best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Clive, kiss your childhood friend /traveling companion.