Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

repiv posted:

nvidia didn't need to change their hardware to compromise mining, they had LHR working pretty well and they could always turn up the throttle factor if needed

That was probably as much to make sure that miners kept pushing on the high end of the stack, with the associated margins and profits, as it was anything else. After all, there is no form of software-based control that hasn't been defeated at some point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

change my name posted:

lol does this matter at all, it's still a bad deal compared to last gen right?

Nah the 7600 @ $250 is what it should have launched it. It seems to be a fair price.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some real world results for the 4060 in CP:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-has-been-tested-in-cyberpunk-2077-oc-gives-1-increase-at-1080p-ultra-settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVCcM7V9tME

I'd want to see how it does at 1440p at least but overall it's looking like pretty good value. I think ideally I would've paid for the Ti if it had more vram. No not like the 16gb version they're going to milk.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-has-been-tested-in-cyberpunk-2077-oc-gives-1-increase-at-1080p-ultra-settings

I'd want to see how it does at 1440p at least but overall it's looking like pretty good value. I think ideally I would've paid for the Ti if it had more vram. No not like the 16gb version they're going to milk.

Yeah doesn’t seem bad tbh

Yudo
May 15, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

I would wait for benchmarks in games other than Cyberpunk as well, and then evaluate how it stacks up; as the NDA has yet to be lifted, I imagine this test was curated. I agree that 1440p will be telling. I wonder though how it will stack up against the 6700xt.

That 4060ti though, oof.

edit: DLSS balanced in 1080p? lol give me a break.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 27, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

oop nvm

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If that tracks across more games it does look pretty sweet for $300. I'm very suspicious of an embargo allowing benchmarks in one game ahead of the main embargo though, feels like it might be the best case scenario.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

njsykora posted:

If that tracks across more games it does look pretty sweet for $300. I'm very suspicious of an embargo allowing benchmarks in one game ahead of the main embargo though, feels like it might be the best case scenario.

Cyberpunk is an Nvidia partner title. That is why it looks amazing, and also why it is a bit of home field advantage for Nvidia cards. They didn't pick a title at random for NDA benchmarks.

Edit: It's slower than the 3060ti even with those horrendous settings.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 27, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cyberpunk gives an advantage to AMD cards when ray tracing is turned off. Obviously the advantage swings back in Nvidia's favor when ray tracing is enabled. In any case, today's videos only compare the 4060 to other nvidia cards, and according to pretty much every review, frame rate differences between nvidia products in cyberpunk tend to be in line with the overall average.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
When a $300 GPU that's at least 12% slower than a $400 GPU from 2.5 years ago is considered an OK value, you know the market is still really hosed.

Keep in mind used 3080s are sub-$400 on ebay, even less if you're willing to hunt a bit locally.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Having gotten fed up with my machine crashing every night and hoping that it's a software issue and not a hardware issue, I decided to do a fresh install and upgrade to Windows 11 in the process.

My 3080 actually idles now with four monitors attached, including a 1440p144 and a 4K TV.

:confuoot:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Windows 11 is very good, you should also consider turning on Auto HDR if you have the monitor(s) for it.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I can't wait for when they make 12 even worse to make going to 11 sound better when 10 is EOL.

I don’t get the win11 hate at all. You can easily turn off the teams and taskbar cruft. It’s fast. The remote login tool that lets you connect to other computers on your network is great. What is Win11 not accomplishing for people at this point? I’m genuinely curious.

Taima fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 27, 2023

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I can't wait for when they make 12 even worse to make going to 11 sound better when 10 is EOL.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Taima posted:

Windows 11 is very good, you should also consider turning on Auto HDR if you have the monitor(s) for it.

I don’t get the win11 hate at all. You can easily turn off the teams and taskbar cruft. It’s fast. The remote login tool that lets you connect to other computers on your network is great. What is Win11 not accomplishing for people at this point? I’m genuinely curious.
As someone who had the last straw with windows and jumped onto a baby linux distro, I don't think it was necessarily one thing, just death by 1000 annoyances. My computer was starting to imitate my phone apps that constantly "improve" themselves and start integrating themselves in ways I didn't ask for since im the product despite paying. And then the dumb little right click menu thing that you have to go into regedit to bring back. Sure its a quick fix, but its just indicative of the experience they're trying to put everyone under, and as stated, I get enough of that with my phone apps and other platforms that are enshittifying at quicker rates.

But windows unironically Just Works for a lot of people and I haven't recommended anyone else around me to also switch, this is some dumb ideology-driven solo adventure im embarking on.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/TechPowerUp/status/1673229580574834689?s=20

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:stare: at what point do they start building the motherboard onto the video card?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

:stare: at what point do they start building the motherboard onto the video card?

That’s called a game console

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That cooler's been leaked before, but it's still very interesting.

The video card PCB will run alongside the bottom of the cooler, parallel to the motherboard. This is the third time pictures have leaked now, each one with a different name attached to it. It was supposedly for the canceled Titan, but maybe they're gonna use it for the 4090 Ti now instead.

At least that design is probably sag-proof. For the card, at least. You may need more structural rigidity for your case's back panel.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Win 11 is a great OS married by some stupid annoying UI changes for no reason except presumably to justify some UI teams' jobs I suppose, I truly hate the new Start Menu and File Explorer

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Taima posted:

I like Windows 11, but got drat do I hate the TPM 2.0 requirement, since it's made trying to get it installed on one of my Intel-based Macs far more of a pain in the rear end than it ever should have been.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

SourKraut posted:

I like Windows 11, but got drat do I hate the TPM 2.0 requirement, since it's made trying to get it installed on one of my Intel-based Macs far more of a pain in the rear end than it ever should have been.

It's a checkbox in rufus

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Shipon posted:

Win 11 is a great OS married by some stupid annoying UI changes for no reason except presumably to justify some UI teams' jobs I suppose, I truly hate the new Start Menu and File Explorer

I hate it so much I actually purchased a start menu replacement.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

12GB VRAM is essentially dead at 1440P if developers keep on the path they are travelling, which they will do as the current gen consoles continue to evolve. Diablo 4 for example will happily consume 12GB of VRAM on my RTX 3080 without blinking, and then spill over into system RAM causing my whole system to slow down. Seriously, the game barely uses 25% of my GPU's power when the graphics are maxed out, but it inhales VRAM like nobody's business which absolutely shits on the performance with stuttering.

E: Diablo 4 specifically uses up to 16GB of VRAM in order to match the console experience. Taking textures down to high resolves the VRAM issue on 12GB VRAM, but the textures are quite noticeably blurrier in the environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rl6sFoeOSU

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 27, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SourKraut posted:

I had to disable CSM and gently caress around with diskpart in WinPE to free up a gig on my NVMe drive for the EFI System Partition but so far it seems to be working quite nicely. And it's not constantly spamming the event viewer with TPM attestation errors like Windows 10 was.

Nalin posted:

I hate it so much I actually purchased a start menu replacement.

People have been doing this since the Windows 10 Technical Preview.

I just hit the windows key and start typing and, hey presto, a program appears.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

When a $300 GPU that's at least 12% slower than a $400 GPU from 2.5 years ago is considered an OK value, you know the market is still really hosed.

Keep in mind used 3080s are sub-$400 on ebay, even less if you're willing to hunt a bit locally.
Yeah it rules lol.

It looks like the best bang for the buck so far but 80fps at 1080p is pretty lame tbh so I'd definitely consider a used 3080 when it's finally time to get something.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

orange juche posted:

12GB VRAM is essentially dead at 1440P if developers keep on the path they are travelling, which they will do as the current gen consoles continue to evolve. Diablo 4 for example will happily consume 12GB of VRAM on my RTX 3080 without blinking, and then spill over into system RAM causing my whole system to slow down. Seriously, the game barely uses 25% of my GPU's power when the graphics are maxed out, but it inhales VRAM like nobody's business which absolutely shits on the performance with stuttering.

E: Diablo 4 specifically uses up to 16GB of VRAM in order to match the console experience. Taking textures down to high resolves the VRAM issue on 12GB VRAM, but the textures are quite noticeably blurrier in the environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rl6sFoeOSU

Odd, no issues here with that on a 4070ti, sure it uses all the VRAM but a huge number of games will just reserve it all cause they can.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Uh oh, no DLSS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ABnU6Zo0uA

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
better get fsr 3 out the door by then

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol if it doesn't have DLSS now after that one developer specifically put that he worked on "RTX integration for Starfield" on his linkedin

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Of all games I figure Starfield will have a user-made DLSS mod within the first month or two

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cross-Section posted:

Of all games I figure Starfield will have a user-made DLSS mod within the first month or two

Probably won’t work on the Game Pass version, though, and it’s the kind of thing that breaks with every update.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the dlss/fsr mods generally sound like a huge hassle when i've looked them up. only dlss swapper for updating to the latest dlss version is pretty effortless. and then there's the separate framegen dll

time to start following the people whose "starfield mega modpack" you want to download from day 1

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm on the edge of my seat for performance on this because they've specifically said that the current gen consoles are 30fps with no performance mode at launch. Without DLSS this could be rough.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

K8.0 posted:

We are almost 3 years into a console generation and both of the new consoles have had a price increase, not a price cut. That's never happened before.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...nflation-rates/

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/21/23768400/microsoft-xbox-series-x-xbox-game-pass-price-increase

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

better get fsr 3 out the door by then

patience, they only announced it *checks notes* 8 months ago

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm on the edge of my seat for performance on this because they've specifically said that the current gen consoles are 30fps with no performance mode at launch. Without DLSS this could be rough.

RIP if you have a CPU from more than 3 years ago lol

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

patience, they only announced it *checks notes* 8 months ago
we're gonna get our monkey's paw wish of moving from crappy spatial upscalers on ps5 to decent temporal upscaling with the jankiest frame generation ever known to humankind

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I guess this is maybe a good sign for Steam Deck users but I'm not holding out hope

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

we're gonna get our monkey's paw wish of moving from crappy spatial upscalers on ps5 to decent temporal upscaling with the jankiest frame generation ever known to humankind

the funniest outcome would be if they originally built it on top of hardware optical flow (which directx does already have a vendor-neutral interface for) and found out the hard way that nvidia has better quality optical flow than their own hardware, so they had to furiously backpedal and try to make software optical flow work instead

(i don't know if NVs optical flow is actually better, but it could be, there's no standard for how it should be implemented so there will be differences between GPU architectures)

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
MS/Bethesda are big enough maybe they can buck the trend like the Sony titles have done. MS isn’t desperate for AMD dollars and doesn’t need to sign the top tier sponsorship deal where they have to do the corporate equivalent of getting AMD tattoos and birthday cakes

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 27, 2023