Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

My man, it's really loving bad that this is the case, but we are in the situation where we do not have a choice. It's either allow one group of psychotic right wing imperialists rewrite national borders and carry out purges, or prop up another set of ethnonationalists who will use their successful prosecution of a Just War to rise to political prominence.

The least you, and the rest of this stupid loving thread could do, is not celebrate death and bloodshed and buy into some of the worse loving narratives amongst the Ukrainian Right (like Ukraine fighting off hordes of Orks) and pretend there are no Nazis amongst the Ukrainians. After all, talk is Cheap.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trap sprung lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Dang Godfrey from elden ring was a tankie the whole time??

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Turtledove has refought WW2 in at least 4 seperate alt-history series that I can recall.

In North America, starts Early, Aliens Invade! and in Magic World.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Surprise that someone who came in with a wall of text basically going "Russia is defending its citizens, Ukrainians are racists for hating Russia for no reason, and its all USA's fault" turned out to be a tankie.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1673607682173878272
Ukraine established its presence further beyond the Dnipro.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1673608316612751360
Reports of advances within Bakhmut itself.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1673617051410223104
Another temper tantrum with hypersonic incels. One might have gotten through, or debris damage occurred, it's not clear.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1673615838874685440

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

My man, it's really loving bad that this is the case, but we are in the situation where we do not have a choice. It's either allow one group of psychotic right wing imperialists rewrite national borders and carry out purges, or prop up another set of ethnonationalists who will use their successful prosecution of a Just War to rise to political prominence.

The least you, and the rest of this stupid loving thread could do, is not celebrate death and bloodshed and buy into some of the worse loving narratives amongst the Ukrainian Right (like Ukraine fighting off hordes of Orks) and pretend there are no Nazis amongst the Ukrainians. After all, talk is Cheap.

lmao

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jippa posted:

What is the significance of sending russian troops on leave to belarus? I understand they are allied to putin, but why would they be sent there specifically?

It's easier to set up concentration camps for the soon to be eliminated traitors outside of Russia proper. No risk of the Russian public finding out that way.

"Going to Belarus" is going to become one of those grim Eastern European euphemisms.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they probably won't :commissar: them when they can just throw em into punishment battalions and let Ukraine do it

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

free hubcaps posted:

Dang Godfrey from elden ring was a tankie the whole time??

He was banished to the Badlands for a reason, no matter what anti-Golden Order propaganda would have you believe.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

steinrokkan posted:

"Going to Belarus" is going to become one of those grim Eastern European euphemisms.
Hasn't that been the case so far?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

HonorableTB posted:

comedy option, prigozhin was sent to actually coup lukashenka and unleash the mighty belarussian legions
So instead of spicy tea or a short walk out of a 7th story window, he would just get fragged by the military that already doesn't like Luka because Luka is too close to Putin?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
'he went to work in the belarusian seafood industry'

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

he went to a potato farm upstate

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1673638588045508609?s=20

Also, Shoigu's getting an award.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 27, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

quote is not edit

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

they probably won't :commissar: them when they can just throw em into punishment battalions and let Ukraine do it

Judging by Putins clever maneuvering so far I would expect him to give Wagner leadership prominent roles in the Russian army due to their experience. What could go wrong now that Prighozin is in Belarus?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

let us hold a minute of silence for the elephant in the room

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Pretty sure nobody in the thread thinks there are 0 nazis in Ukraine (but, alternatively, a focus on Ukranian nazis over and above their actual presence in ukranian society/politics/military indicates at a bare minimum your ideology is aligned with a particularly militant part of the American Left), and calling Russians orks was banned ages ago in this thread for good reason (pretty sure for at least the lifespan of this particular iteration of this here GBS thread)

I think it's time to be honest, are you actually mad at ~the thread~ or have you been stirred up somewhere else about this perceived issue? Probably wasn't C-SPAM based on how you post. Was it Tankie twitter? Do you listen to that weird turks podcast or something? I genuinely would like to know if you're willing to share

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lol and lmao at all the rumours that Shoigu is done

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Armed forces did a very good job at stopping the civil war.

Kherson and Kharkiv will be forever Russian cities.

Kyiv was a feint.

3-day SMO

etc.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 27, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

fatherboxx posted:

Lol and lmao at all the rumours that Shoigu is done

look some guy on twitter was referencing someone on telegram who was themselves quoting infamously unreliable telegram channels, there's no way anyone could have told that was a trash tier rumor

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

I genuinely would like to know if you're willing to share

there's enough laughs in the thread already, not sure I can take much more

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

Armed forces did a very good job at stopping the civil war.

Kherson and Kharkiv will be forever Russian cities.

Kyiv was a feint.

3-day SMO

etc.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Coolguye posted:

worldwar. the entire series is on audible and i listened to it late last year....... Ussmak deserved better. :(

:pressf: for the little guy getting such an undeserved end, it was a good series to read on breaks at work... his other stuff left a lot to be desired.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/russia-forms-the-azov-naval-district-with-headquarters-in-mariupol/

quote:

The Russian military is forming a separate unit of the Black Sea Fleet in the Sea of Azov with headquarters in occupied Mariupol of the Donetsk region.

According to the Center for National Resistance, the creation of the so-called Azov Naval District and the relocation of the Russian fleet’s ships are scheduled to be completed by July 1.

The invaders plan to equip this group at the expense of the Black Sea Fleet ships and the Caspian Flotilla of the Russian Navy.

In total, 8 warships and boats, along with 16 support vessels, will be part of the Azov Naval District.

Its establishment takes place within the formation of new units and the increase in staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1673637035066662915
It was reported that they hit a cooperative with a Kinzhal, but no casualties.

zone fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 27, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

"Thank you brave Russian patriots for stopping the evil Wagner coup."

"Now, we won't be doing anything to anyone involved, and their leader is going to live in Minsk, but anyway, thank you for your service"

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Did they invent new award for Shoigu? Something like "Order For Merit In Disappearing While Rebels Were Marching On Moscow"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

HonorableTB posted:

The War That Came Early ended with general atomic warfare that wasn't advanced enough to be a MAD scenario. Basically the belligerents use nukes like regular bombs and by the end of the war a bunch of cities were nuked even in the US. It's a fun series and I recommend Turtledove highly because he fills a niche which is "what if a professional historian that also is a professional author had to write a 12 year old's idea of X" and it's insanely fun. It's not GOOD but it is very very fun. He spends his days now being a very angry leftist old man on Twitter and trolling nazis.

My favorite Turtledove series is the alternate history WW2 where the confederacy is nazi Germany and it just goes off the rails crazy but in a way which is insistently logical to its universe's own rules and canon.

There's also the Turtledove series where WW2 stops because aliens invade and humanity united to fight off the alien menace and it has Erwin Rommel commanding troops while riding as cavalry
My favorite Turtledove short story is The Road Not Taken but that's a derail so I will stop.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dwesa posted:

Did they invent new award for Shoigu? Something like "Order For Merit In Disappearing While Rebels Were Marching On Moscow"

woke american army participation trophies!!!

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
If you like turtledove you should check out my self published book "Genocide is Bad but What If Stopping Genocide is Bad Too because it Saves Hitler 2". It's currently #72,559 in the Terminally Online (Tankies) category.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Thanks thread for reminding me that I've had that Turtledove book where like the Eastern Seaboard of North America is shifted to be in the middle of the Atlantic (and filled with wildlife like you'd see in New Zealand, and gets colonized by British and Breton fishermen) for a few years and should get around to reading it.

Also the second book in his series where Japan Does a Land Invasion in Hawaii instead of just a couple waves of bombs and torpedoes at Pearl Harbor

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

Honestly just go the way of the UK pigs and say you don't investigate crimes retrospectively, if it's inconvenient

UK is doing pretty much the same for their army in Northern Ireland so they have a precedent to go by. :rolleye:

edit:

CannonFodder posted:

My favorite Turtledove short story is The Road Not Taken but that's a derail so I will stop.

Happily admit that that one is. :kiss:

He did a decent short sequel to it that i don't have any more.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 27, 2023

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

I wonder who's visiting Washington?

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 27, 2023

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
What does all this all mean for wagner personnel ?
So you had the prisoners doing service for removal of sentence, i guess now signed into an army contract or back in prison?
The more experienced former army, now back in the army? But now on poo poo wages? I presume the whole reason Wagner were involved in ukraine was a way to keep veteran experience in the conflict by the lure of better pay?
What about all the ones out of Russia doing other contracts I guess they are different? Is gobbo keeping the foreign operations?
I guess all the top brass are getting worried about tea and windows currently.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1673613366835789824
So after this where will they find more equipment to hand out to the mobiks?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

numptyboy posted:

I guess all the top brass are getting worried about tea and windows currently.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1673659668227301377

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Finally luka can be colonel in a russian army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1673598640210812929
What the hell is this?