Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Bob Ross Nuke Test posted:

*Glances nervously at the doomsday econ thread, chuckles*

:hmmyes:

all threads in cspam will eventually converge into this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Hubbert posted:

all threads in cspam will eventually converge into this one

cspam seconds before instrumentality

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

celadon posted:

celadon posted:

Hubbert posted:

I know, I know I've let you bdown ...

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If that's the sole cause it would suggest aerosols took 3 years to fall from the atmosphere, which is inconsistent with what we know about them. Not only did this anomalous heating not occur in 2020, 2021, or 2022, the anomaly heated up in a very short 3-week period. I don't think there's any particularly satisfying explanations?

the guy already explained it, geomagnetic storms, duh

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

FlapYoJacks posted:

He single handedly had a major role in

:thunk:

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

TheDarkFlame posted:

How far back can we trace the understanding of man-made climate change, and the efforts to manipulate or minimise what got reported? I know the answer to both of those things is going to be "earlier than I think" but I'm wondering if anyone has like, good examples or specific years.

This thread has some incredible brains, so I'm sure someone will just happen to have something ready to post that was originally comissioned for a coal baron in the 40s or something.

john sununu single-handledly prevented the first carbon reduction agreement, but now tells himself that it was doomed anyway

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Death by sununu

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
also his son is the governor of new hampshire

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

sonunu was helping himself to hundreds of hours worth of free jet travel at the time so he was only working in his best interest

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1673655480671956996?t=CVSvWRnnMoa3ESVhXWYfXQ&s=19

hm I do not think this is happening merely by chance

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
But there is a chance it happened by chance

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

.22 more and its publishable!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Elderbean posted:

I just know the climate is going to be blamed on some vague sense of moral decay.

The crops would grow if it weren’t for those :siren: trans people :siren: and :siren: commie perverts:siren:

I think this is the part that makes me the saddest. We will 100% be back to human sacrifices before the end because humans are irredeemable monsters.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

leafing through jacobson's poetry right now and the dude's a regular trump thread poster

quote:

Trump’s Cock

Oh, you tubby lubby of mine
You big boss man fire me
Tie me to your tree and stretch me
Make me scream mon petit carrot cake
Swim on me
Breast stroke all over me
Drive me on your beautiful golf course
Take me into your tower
My sweet coming billionaire
My gorgeous orgasmic El Presidente
Oh, Dongaldo, Dongaldski, Dongaldez,
Chongfu! Povtoreniye! Repetir!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

A Bad King posted:

We can trace it back to the guy who isolated and identified the innate properties of "carbonic acid," back in the 19th century. There were blurbs in papers back then about the heat trapping properties of the newly discovered molecule, about how we're dumping a million tons a year, and this might be a problem in a hundred years!

We've known. For over a century.

Here's a contemporary source.

Eunice Foote’s experiments demonstrating greenhouse gases predate that by like 60 years.

of course, John Tyndall, who may have stolen Foote’s work after she was barred from presenting it due to being a woman, gets all the credit.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

dudes rock

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

celadon posted:

also lol, lmao

ha ha oh boy

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

tuyop posted:

Eunice Foote’s experiments demonstrating greenhouse gases predate that by like 60 years.

of course, John Tyndall, who may have stolen Foote’s work after she was barred from presenting it due to being a woman, gets all the credit.

I was just providing one example, not the example. You're right about Eunice. We knew and we knew long before the modern world. We should have gotten a handle on emissions before the 1930s.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
wow they already had doomers back then smh

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

quote:

The record heatwave roiling parts of Texas, Louisiana and Mexico was made at least five times more likely due to human-caused climate change, scientists have found, marking the latest in a series of recent extreme “heat dome” events that have scorched various parts of the world.

A stubborn ridge of high pressure has settled over Mexico and a broad swath of the southern US over the past three weeks, pushing the heat index, a combination of temperature and humidity, to above 48C (120F) in some places.

More than 40 million people in the US, including those living in the Texas cities of Houston, San Antonio and Austin, have been placed under excessive heat warnings, raising fears over the health of people vulnerable to the heat and placing Texas’s energy grid under strain from surging air conditioner use.

The heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and oceans by the burning of fossil fuels made the extreme heatwave at least five times more likely, according to a recent analysis by Climate Central, a climate science non-profit. The punishing heat, which is forecast to linger further throughout the week in Texas, is creating “stressful conditions for millions of people”, according to Andrew Pershing, vice-president for science at Climate Central.

Speaking to the Guardian on Monday, Andrew Dessler, a climate scientist at Texas A&M University said the university’s campus at College Station has had a string of days above 37C (100F), when it usually doesn’t hit such peaks until August. “It’s depressing to think we’re not even in July and we are getting this sort of heat,” he said. “When it’s this hot you are a prisoner in your own house, you are a prisoner to air conditioning.”

Dessler said that the southern part of Texas will probably have one of its hottest Junes ever recorded as it is most acutely affected by the heat dome that has its epicenter in Mexico – the Mexican cities of Monclova and Chihuahua have set all-time record temperatures of of 46C (115F) and 41C (107F), respectively.

This heat dome, one the strongest ever recorded, was formed by a high-pressure atmospheric system that created a sinking column of warming air that trapped latent heat already absorbed by the landscape, like a sort of lid. Such events typically occur without rain and are cloudless, allowing the sun to bake the surface unhindered, causing temperatures to spike.

“The heat evaporates water and then just heats up the land,” said Dessler. “If you have this sort of high-pressure system sitting stationary over a region, you can have these really impressive heatwaves.”

Heat domes have long existed in Texas, and elsewhere, and there is some conjecture among scientists as to whether or not climate change is causing more “blocking events” where patches of high pressure are held in place by alterations to a jet stream that normally pushes weather systems from west to east.

“But when these heat domes do happen, they are getting worse, that’s for certain,” said Michael Wehner, a climate and extreme weather expert at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory who estimated that the Texas heatwave was made around 2.7C (5F) hotter by human-caused global heating.

Extreme heat dome events have caused heightened temperatures across the world in recent times, such as the record heat and wildfires seen in May in western Canada, or the historic heat experienced in locations as varied as Puerto Rico and Siberia earlier this month.

The record warm winter experienced by many countries in Europe earlier this year, as well as a separate heatwave that scorched the continent last summer and resulted in thousands of deaths, have also been blamed, in part, upon heat domes that refused to budge.

One of the harshest heat domes on record settled over the US north-west, a place used to more temperate climes, in the summer of 2021, causing temperature records to be shattered and dozens of people to die. Last week, Oregon’s most populous county sued major oil and gas companies for billions of dollars in damages for their role in fueling the heatwave.

Scientists have calculated that the climate crisis made that heatwave 150 times more likely, with heat domes becoming ever more dangerous as the planet heats up. Limiting global heating to 1.5C (2.7F) above pre-industrial times, instead of 2C (3.6F), would halve the number of people exposed to the sort of severe heat dome conditions that caused such distress in 2021, a study has found.

Local authorities can help counter heat domes by setting up cooling centers and providing warnings and shelter to those most affected by the heat, such as the sick and the elderly, but scientists say the global heating already set in motion by the untrammeled combustion of oil, coal and gas will continue to have escalating impacts.

“It’s clear that we are way outside natural variability here,” said Wehner. “Dangerous climate change is here, now. If you don’t recognize that, you’re just not paying attention. Every summer now there’s some devastating heatwave somewhere in the world.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/27/heatwave-human-caused-climate-crisis-texas-louisiana-mexico

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

oh, and re: age of climate change, I found this in one of my community’s magazines from 1960

full size

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Mola Yam posted:

also you don't really see coordinated industry pushback until the 1960s at the earliest, with the ecology movement and rising awareness among the general public.

it's remarkable because the mainstream scientific messaging on the time frames involved in 1980 were still on the order of hundreds of years before things would get really serious. and API are just like "we've got like 80 years tops at this rate", way closer to the truth as we understand it now.
Okay the serious anti-science stuff starting in the 60s isn't too surprising to me, I would have guessed 70s maybe. At least that feels like the same kind of era. But I don't think I would have expected that anyone understood the effect of CO2 in the 1890s or even as early as the 1850s? That's, uh, a little surreal. Really shows just how long we've been making this problem tomorrow's problem when I can read "the 19th century" and have to remind myself that the 19th century and the 1900s are not the same thing.

Does make me feel a little bit better, knowing that even if the best outcome is still a massive disaster, and the worst outcome looks like something out of a 2000AD comic book, this was all stuff set in motion an age ago. Okay, not "better", but uhhh thank you for all the answers, I hate it here

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
The Rad-Lands is just another way to Cool Zone!

Megacity One is already locked in.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Unless posted:

oh, and re: age of climate change, I found this in one of my community’s magazines from 1960

full size

I salute this truth in advertising. If anything they underpromised and over delivered. Way to go corporations!!!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I salute this truth in advertising. If anything they underpromised and over delivered. Way to go corporations!!!

lmao that is goddamn incredible

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wheeee posted:

Glaciers are sweaty, ice weak, rains are heavy
The gulf stream is collapsing already, heat waves deadly

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

ok the other thing that makes me really sad is the posters friend from somewhere up thread that just keeps his place at 65 all the time. Not because it is wasteful. well, not just because of that. but because in a catastrophic heat wave that person will live longer than someone who uses less energy because they have additional thermal capacity in their dwelling that has to be eaten through before they die. reality selects for the worst psychopaths and then puts you in a prisoners dilemma game with them. I hate it

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

kyojin posted:

[Biosphere Collapse] Death by sununu

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TehSaurus posted:

ok the other thing that makes me really sad is the posters friend from somewhere up thread that just keeps his place at 65 all the time. Not because it is wasteful. well, not just because of that. but because in a catastrophic heat wave that person will live longer than someone who uses less energy because they have additional thermal capacity in their dwelling that has to be eaten through before they die. reality selects for the worst psychopaths and then puts you in a prisoners dilemma game with them. I hate it

and you think living longer in a catastrophic heat wave is a good thing because.......?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

You get to dab on the people that died before you

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

TehSaurus posted:

If I follow your line of reasoning, someone who keeps their place at 65 is a psychopath, and in the event of a catastrophic heat wave it is unfortunate that they live because their heat removal capacity is greater than the rate their dwelling absorbs ambient heat?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

We can defeat capitalism if we unite with our working-class allies Chet and Stryker, right after they finish retweeting the June 2018 Greta tweet about humanity being killed by climate change if we don't severely brake our use of fossil fuel within 5 years. They'll come to our rescue any time now . . .

Technically global warming will beat capitalism so maybe we need to do it harder and faster than expected?

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Just a Moron posted:

You get to dab on the people that died before you

This is a powerful motivating factor in my life.
In The Frog and Scorpion version I grew up with, the scorpion does a little dance on the back of the frog as they sink. I think that contributed to it.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Zeta Taskforce posted:

If I follow your line of reasoning, someone who keeps their place at 65 is a psychopath, and in the event of a catastrophic heat wave it is unfortunate that they live because their heat removal capacity is greater than the rate their dwelling absorbs ambient heat?

almost. I’m assuming in a power failure it takes them longer to die of heat stroke, because their starting conditions are 65 instead of whatever reasonable temperature

edit: writ large, consuming as many resources as you can, as quickly as you can, confers a survival advantage, discouraging pro social behaviors like sharing

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
hey what happens when we have 400+ million climate refugees from the global south trying to not die from the hell we created?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Elderbean posted:

I just know the climate is going to be blamed on some vague sense of moral decay.

The crops would grow if it weren’t for those :siren: trans people :siren: and :siren: commie perverts:siren:

Just tell them it's God's punishment for being fake rear end Christians.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

A Bad King posted:

hey what happens when we have 400+ million climate refugees from the global south trying to not die from the hell we created?

Automated gun emplacements.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

A Bad King posted:

We close the border and let them die. The news will make sure nobody thinks about it.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
our sins should drown us faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

TehSaurus posted:

almost. I’m assuming in a power failure it takes them longer to die of heat stroke, because their starting conditions are 65 instead of whatever reasonable temperature

edit: writ large, consuming as many resources as you can, as quickly as you can, confers a survival advantage, discouraging pro social behaviors like sharing

the minute their ac shuts off their house will turn into a sweltering deathtrap just like any other

assuming shoddy US house design & material construction