Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Makes sense to me. I have a dual monitor setup with 2 computers and 2 monitors - one of my monitors I switch back and forth between #2 for my work laptop and #2 for my home PC. I do this pretty trivially by connecting to the USB-C port from the laptop and the DisplayPort from the PC, and just using the monitor's controls to switch between the two inputs. I love the flexibility and there's no real difference in quality between the two video inputs.

I looked into daisy-chaining to reduce the number of cables, but I get better gaming performance on my main PC by using separate outputs for the two monitors (the newest one runs at a high refresh rate and apparently that works best with its own direct connection) so I do that anyway, it's just one extra cord in the horrible tangle of cords behind my desk.

Yeah, its not even a full time, just whenever I have a large document or research thing to review, I like having an additional 32. Good idea, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Leperflesh posted:

you can daisy-chain a monitor with USB-C, but the ones in the middle of the chain have to have a USB-C out port, and many don't have that. You can also daisy-chain with DisplayPort 1.2, if the monitor supports DisplayPort 1.2 MST.

Note that your laptop's graphics card may or may not actually be capable of handling video on 3 monitors at once. Gaming on 3 4k monitors from your embedded intel graphics card isn't going to happen.

Yeah no one should be making any recommendations for docking stations without knowing the exact model of laptop and the resolutions of the screens he's using. You have to go down a rabbit hole to make sure you are getting stuff that is compatible.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It’s my anniversary today. Going out to dinner with the wife. Daycare offered to babysit so we don’t even need to pick him up until 9 tonight. We’ll see how much fun we can pack into like 4 hours.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I grinned like an idiot at this very stupid video. It has eye of the tiger and agonized yelping if you want sound.

https://i.imgur.com/08Ev5F3.mp4

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

Daycare offered to babysit so we don’t even need to pick him up until 9 tonight.

amazing! enjoy.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

Makes sense to me. I have a dual monitor setup with 2 computers and 2 monitors - one of my monitors I switch back and forth between #2 for my work laptop and #2 for my home PC. I do this pretty trivially by connecting to the USB-C port from the laptop and the DisplayPort from the PC, and just using the monitor's controls to switch between the two inputs. I love the flexibility and there's no real difference in quality between the two video inputs.

I looked into daisy-chaining to reduce the number of cables, but I get better gaming performance on my main PC by using separate outputs for the two monitors (the newest one runs at a high refresh rate and apparently that works best with its own direct connection) so I do that anyway, it's just one extra cord in the horrible tangle of cords behind my desk.

I’m gonna look into a dock because I dislike having to replug everything.

It’s only unplugging 2usbs and 1 display cord from the first laptop and plugging into the second laptop. It shouldn’t seem like such a pain but it feels like it.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

So I had a work trip with someone who said on that trip that they believe “the COVID vaccine is more dangerous than the actual disease”

This person now has COVID and I’m supposed to be flying out in 2 days to celebrate my grandmother’s 80th birthday :shepicide:

Hoping the boosters do their jobs, I guess

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m gonna look into a dock because I dislike having to replug everything.

It’s only unplugging 2usbs and 1 display cord from the first laptop and plugging into the second laptop. It shouldn’t seem like such a pain but it feels like it.

I pack my work laptop every night (and slide my personal laptop back into the same spot) just as part of the “ending work for the day” routine, and fully agree, even if it sounds small, having to plug in three or four things just becomes a hassle.

Which is why I upgraded my second monitor and bought a ‘USB hub’ monitor from Dell that can handle multiple inputs and act as a hub for computers that charge over USB-C.

So I get a second monitor, have my USB microphone and USB wireless mouse for my computer, and it charges through USB-C at the same time. One cable is much easier to manage.

(I didn’t go for more/bigger monitors because I’m limited on desk space)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I just have work send me a new laptop if I ever get the urge to move to a different room, got 3 here now. One is dedicated to early morning zoom meetings in bed

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Posting a few tweets because I love Tree Law

https://twitter.com/SamAsIAm/status/1673371813043408904

quote:

A friend who is a municipal arborist just called to tell me about a guy who cut down 32 big mature trees on his neighbor's NJ property to get a better view of NYC. He hired a guy who hired another guy. Cut them down and left the debris there. The fine per tree is $1000 so the guy probably thought he was going to just pay a $32k fine. But the arborist wrote violations to all 3 parties, 96 in all (by hand, took him 12 hours) and there's a provision requiring the replanting of like trees "of the same size." And it's on an inaccessible by road mountainside. He put the affronted landowner in touch with the only guy who would take on such a job. Thry have to build a road, remove the debris, plant big trees and water them for two years. He quoted $1.5 million. And additional fines total $400k. I hope whoever this rear end is he can't pay and they lien and sell his property, the value of which he probably figured would be increased so much a $32k fine was worth it, to cover the cost. We are living in the Jaime Dimon ethos. "So fine us, we can afford it."

The PS to this is I was just given a zoom link to the 1st court hearing tomorrow. I'm not sure if it's just for trail participants or spectators can use it, but if they let me observe I'll add more. It doesn't appear to have been picked up by any news source yet.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well, we didn't beat Florida by three touchdowns like they did to us last night.

We only needed two touchdowns. :smug:

GEAUX TIGERS!

https://twitter.com/evansaacks/status/1673510217542250496?s=20

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Worst case of the Monday's in a while. Kept forgetting stuff, which meant making multiple trips around town (and home again) and ran out of time to do things like go to the post office.

Couldn't wait until Taco Tuesday tomorrow, so got some birirra tacos for dinner.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

Well, we didn't beat Florida by three touchdowns like they did to us last night.

We only needed two touchdowns. :smug:

GEAUX TIGERS!

I watched nearly every inning of Gator baseball this year and sadly the Cags implosion was intensely predictable.

Congrats on the win. Best baseball program in the country.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kalli posted:

Tree law is the best, as was that story

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Worst case of the Monday's in a while. Kept forgetting stuff, which meant making multiple trips around town (and home again) and ran out of time to do things like go to the post office.

Couldn't wait until Taco Tuesday tomorrow, so got some birirra tacos for dinner.

fuckkkkk that looks good.

We get decent tacos in spots here, but nothing fantastico

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

I watched nearly every inning of Gator baseball this year and sadly the Cags implosion was intensely predictable.

Congrats on the win. Best baseball program in the country.

Thanks :tipshat:. Honestly, I don't think either one of us would've believed it if you told us that after the first nailbiter of a game that the next two would be blowouts. For my heart, I'm kinda glad. :)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kalli posted:

https://twitter.com/SamAsIAm/status/1673371813043408904

Fuckin’ love tree law.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

My remaining lab, Lola, has a hole in her skull. They took a biopsy today to see what is causing it.

:wtf:

the vet tech that sewed her back together must do makeup on the side for haunted houses because he Frankensteined the gently caress out of a three-stitch incision between her eyebrows. Aggravating.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Alaois posted:

yo do they still sell Pepsi Max in Australia??? all we got is bullshit Pepsi Zero

Yeah buddy! We have vanilla Pepsi Max too

GD_American posted:

My remaining lab, Lola, has a hole in her skull. They took a biopsy today to see what is causing it.

:wtf:

Jesus mate, hope she's OK. That's loving nuts.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I am sending pets and cuddles to your dog. I hope she is alright.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Bleeding mucus from the right nostril for several months off and on, repeated vet trips with no answers until finally found one that cared enough to say maybe it's not a respiratory infection.

She came home with the cone on, and promptly hung up on every piece of furniture in the house, and did not understand to back out and try it again. The poor dear. I took the cone off and she's left the incision alone, thankfully. Just hoping to beat the TFF chat pet curse.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

If it’s a softer cone, we had some success flipping it backwards so it makes it uncomfortable for them to bend, but harder to hang up on edges.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BlindSite posted:

Yeah buddy! We have vanilla Pepsi Max too

What the gently caress

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its Rinaldo posted:

What the gently caress

Oh man. It's so good!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Joey Freshwater posted:

Cid gets a pass because there’s a Cid in every game but Clive’s brother is Josh…
Is every Cid the same character type? Or even the same exact character with no explanation?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CannonFodder posted:

Is every Cid the same character type? Or even the same exact character with no explanation?

In the early games they usually are involved in you getting an airship.

Also Cid is a pretty unusual name. It mostly makes me think of El Cid. I've never met a Cid, although I've also never met a Clive now that I think about it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I guess I got one good video of this wedding I went to to give you an idea.

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1673656991976157185?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I know (think?) serious hardware is the usual place for this but I usually trust you guys more than other corners of this site—

I’ve been taking this course using autocad and we are digging into the software after a lot of hand drafting.

Anyway, I’m using the free version of AutoCAD for mac and it’s evidently got a very different interface than the windows version (and from what I’ve read, it’s missing a lot of features because it was built from the ground up for Mac).

So I’ve come down to a reality where I need to either filter lectures through YouTube tutorials or pick up a PC laptop so I can follow directly. I’ve got a meeting with my instructor tomorrow to see if I can make it work, but I figured I’d drop a sonar buoy here and see what to look for.

Frankly I don’t want to spend a ton of money on it but I don’t want it to be a complete piece of poo poo. Certainly something I can use throughout my engineering education running other software as well. Basically, it doesn’t need to be baller as hell, but I’m fine paying a little extra to make sure it isn’t just a disposable product. I’d like it to last.

I haven’t purchased a PC in well over a decade so I’m not even sure what chipsets to look out for, what brands to avoid, etc.

So, thoughts?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Air quality in Chicago is the worst in the nation right now due to the Canadian forest fires.

It's like a BBQ is blowing smoke in your face at all times right now, sucks rear end if you have to be outside for more than a minute or two!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

So, thoughts?

I'd look at refurb thinkpad x1s on eBay, they are an excellent product that depreciates quickly so there are lots of former corporate owned devices relatively cheaply for the class of laptop it is. If you need "good" integrated graphics then nothing earlier than gen9 when intel's mobile chips got Xe. Probably $800 range for that, and at that price it'll be better than almost any other PC laptop in that price range.

If your CAD needs don't really require GPU acceleration, then a 7th or 8th gen get down in the $500 range.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

I'd look at refurb thinkpad x1s on eBay, they are an excellent product that depreciates quickly so there are lots of former corporate owned devices relatively cheaply for the class of laptop it is. If you need "good" integrated graphics then nothing earlier than gen9 when intel's mobile chips got Xe. Probably $800 range for that, and at that price it'll be better than almost any other PC laptop in that price range.

If your CAD needs don't really require GPU acceleration, then a 7th or 8th gen get down in the $500 range.

I made a Thinkpad T430 (antique by modern standards) last 3.5 years from 2017 to late 2020. It wasn't graphically great but I can absolutely second the value of the Lenovo hardware secondary market. The only knock I have on them is they use proprietary/HDMI adapters instead of open source VGA but I think the tech value outpaces HP/options that have more port options.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
People ITT who regularly share a bed with someone- when your bedtime buddy is away, do you still stay on "your side" of the bed or do you spread out?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

C-Euro posted:

People ITT who regularly share a bed with someone- when your bedtime buddy is away, do you still stay on "your side" of the bed or do you spread out?

Man I don’t even sprawl toward the dog’s side of the bed when he’s not in it, but I’m a very compact sleeper like that

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

C-Euro posted:

I'll creep a little more to the middle but my side is my side for a reason. It's funny because when I stay at her place, the sides are flipped.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I *don't* regularly share a bed with someone and I still stay on my side

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

In the early games they usually are involved in you getting an airship.

Also Cid is a pretty unusual name. It mostly makes me think of El Cid. I've never met a Cid, although I've also never met a Clive now that I think about it.

He does mention that one of the cities you visit used to be something called “an airship?” Which I thought was a nice call back.

Going back as far as I can remember:’

FF4 - Cid was the airship mechanic and father of Rosa, playable for a portion
FF5 - Inventor, non-playable
FF6 - Non-playable, inventor of Magitek, adoptive father of Celes
FF7 - playable, abusive husband(?), invented the rocket
FF8 - headmaster of the school, non-playable
FF9 - King of Fabool, non-playable
FF10 - non playable, leader of Al Bhed
FF11 - non playable (I think), airship guy, only played 11 once
FF12 - First time he’s presented as a bad guy I think, you fight him a couple times
FF13 - non-player, airship guy, also appears in Lightning Returns
FF14 - Didn’t play much of this, but I know there’s a cid who has something to do with airships, again
FF15 - non player, owns the garage you find very early in the game

I could be off on some of this, I purposefully didn’t google so I could see how much I remember, turns out my brain isn’t completely mush yet

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

C-Euro posted:

I still stay on my side. Even in big hotel room beds I stick to one side, although I'll move over from the edge a little bit.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

SundayMoney posted:

I'll creep a little more to the middle but my side is my side for a reason.
Yeah, same he-

quote:

It's funny because when I stay at her place, the sides are flipped.
What the gently caress. :catstare:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Joey Freshwater posted:

He does mention that one of the cities you visit used to be something called “an airship?” Which I thought was a nice call back.

FF12 - First time he’s presented as a bad guy I think, you fight him a couple times
FF14 - Didn’t play much of this, but I know there’s a cid who has something to do with airships, again

I could be off on some of this, I purposefully didn’t google so I could see how much I remember, turns out my brain isn’t completely mush yet

Cid is also present in the original Final Fantasy 2-3 also. He was retconned into remakes of the original Final Fantasy but was not in the NES release.

Yes Cid is also heavily present in FFXIV as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Joey Freshwater posted:

FF2 and 3 had Cids as well, who were involved in getting you an airship. Tactics also had Cidolfas, aka Cid The Thunder God (who makes a cameo in FF14 as a boss). Newer versions of Final Fantasy 1 retcons Cid into the game that he created the airship.

Basically he's always gonna appear as a mechanic / engineer / inventor.