Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Scarlett is worse. The drat motorcycle Pokemon runs around on his legs. He's even got wheels just doesn't use them

Master Cycle Negative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

pokemon is gay (aka, it rocks)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

scarlet rules violet drools

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
They should unironically just go back to making 2D Pokemon games.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Honestly I want to love Scarlet, an open world format is a perfect fit for the franchise imo and the few story bits I got through were legitimately very good/touching, but the N64-era graphics and slowdowns just really dragged the whole thing down for me. Maybe I'll give it another visit sometime soon.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

They should go back further than that.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The story is dogshit too though. The animations barely exist. When you go to a Star base the scene fades to black to take a character off screen instead of opening a gate and walking them through. The dialogue is insanely bad.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

When you go to a Star base the scene fades to black to take a character off screen instead of opening a gate and walking them through.

oh no how terrible

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Waltzing Along posted:

im ready to play pokemon tgc on the nesflix app

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The story is dogshit too though. The animations barely exist. When you go to a Star base the scene fades to black to take a character off screen instead of opening a gate and walking them through. The dialogue is insanely bad.

have you considered switching to Magic, aka adult Pokemon???

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Pokemon anime is 12 frames per second, Scarlet was just trying to be more like the anime

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

2.5D is the future, old man

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

erm cringe?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Why come fire emblem characters always have to be silver spoon dorks with tedious fancy talk and manners and poo poo

Ike is still best fire emblem man

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Scarlet / Violet is the best mainline Pokémon since Gold / Silver

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

man nurse posted:

It is this and also a ridiculously underbaked technical mess that is extra embarrassing after TotK.

Like it is the most fun I had with Pokemon in ages and also really should have been better

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I got deeper into Arceus than any other Pokémon game I’ve ever played. I don’t even know how many hours I played it trying to fill out the Pokédex 100% and then my game got erased when I changed switches. It was a lot of hours. I don’t know if I have it in me to start it over. Other than that I had Pokémon yellow on the original gameboy and I didn’t get very far in it. If I were to play a Pokémon game start to finish, which one would y’all recommend?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Why come fire emblem characters always have to be silver spoon dorks with tedious fancy talk and manners and poo poo

that's why i chose claude in three houses and joined the cool kids club (lorenz notwithstanding)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does anyone have the Orzly carrying case? Can it fit the switch, a few games, earbuds, and the ac charger? Reviews are saying the charger both does and does not fit. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Orzly-Carry-Case-Compatible-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01NAUKS62

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

New thread title
:haibrow:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Like it is the most fun I had with Pokemon in ages and also really should have been better

many people are saying this

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Play FE 7 and unlock Hectors story. Best lord by far.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Node posted:

Does anyone have the Orzly carrying case? Can it fit the switch, a few games, earbuds, and the ac charger? Reviews are saying the charger both does and does not fit. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Orzly-Carry-Case-Compatible-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01NAUKS62

I do! And yup, I have an OLED with some games, earbuds and the ac charger. I haven't put any spare joy cons though.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Hector is the best FE lord, yeah. Ike is too Gary Stu-y for my taste, I probably wouldn't like him at all if he wasn't gay.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

man nurse posted:

this is true. it's poggers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Scarvio ftw. Though I hope the DLC gives it some cool postgame stuff like Shield's DLC had

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

It is this and also a ridiculously underbaked technical mess that is extra embarrassing after TotK.

TOTK was a 6 year development cycle and i think pokemon games get like 2 years at most, and also can not possibly be delayed

like i am not saying they look good but pokemon games are not AAA games.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
whenever someone talks about how they liked scarlet/violet they have to put like 5 asterisks on it to clarify that they disapprove of the pokemon production cycle and have good unsullied taste

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Aerofallosov posted:

I do! And yup, I have an OLED with some games, earbuds and the ac charger. I haven't put any spare joy cons though.
Wait, it fits the charger brick too? If so, I’m buying immediately. There’s enough room so that you don’t have to worry about screen/stick damage?
I won’t be carrying any extra joycons either.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
These Pikmin 4 previews make it seem more like an action game than a strategy one, not sure how to feel about it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have either completely memory holed Pikmin 2 or I never played it because I don't remember any of the underground section stuff that makes up half the game.

I kind of don't like them; they aren't difficult if you bring the right types (and even if you don't there is usually a conversion flower nearby), it's more of a test of your army management and if you can move your piks out of the way of enemies. P3 didn't have them and I liked it that way so I'm disappointed to hear they might be coming back for P4.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

eightysixed posted:

Wait, it fits the charger brick too? If so, I’m buying immediately. There’s enough room so that you don’t have to worry about screen/stick damage?
I won’t be carrying any extra joycons either.

Should be fine, as long as you don't hatch a dinosaur in there or something. I haven't played much with it. And no, they are pretty durable. There's no screen or stick damage over it. Don't drop it and stomp on it, but most of the time it's fine.

Edit: PURPLE FOREVER.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

CuddleCryptid posted:

I have either completely memory holed Pikmin 2 or I never played it because I don't remember any of the underground section stuff that makes up half the game.

I kind of don't like them; they aren't difficult if you bring the right types (and even if you don't there is usually a conversion flower nearby), it's more of a test of your army management and if you can move your piks out of the way of enemies. P3 didn't have them and I liked it that way so I'm disappointed to hear they might be coming back for P4.

Yeah, I feel like the caves didn't really play to Pikmin's strengths (no time limit and no reinforcements means that splitting your army and multitasking is discouraged, it's better to focus on one thing at a time).

I know time limits break some peoples' brains but I think the gameplay works better with them.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Aerofallosov posted:

Should be fine, as long as you don't hatch a dinosaur in there or something. I haven't played much with it. And no, they are pretty durable. There's no screen or stick damage over it. Don't drop it and stomp on it, but most of the time it's fine.

Edit: PURPLE FOREVER.

Awesome. Then I’m in.
I only mentioned the screen/stick damage thing because the brick is sort of big, so I didn’t know if there was enough room between the brick and the system to feel comfortable :)

edit: I have the Amazon Basics hard case which will hold the Switch and a few games, but clearly not the charger.
And you can totally drop it and stomp on it if you want to without fear :v:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Raserys posted:

whenever someone talks about how they liked scarlet/violet they have to put like 5 asterisks on it to clarify that they disapprove of the pokemon production cycle and have good unsullied taste

This. But also I tell myself at least I'm not the freaks buying both versions for one person (myself) every single time. And that they're the real problem.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Raserys posted:

I dunno? I don't see what's wrong with saying you both like the game and don't like how its development is handled and/or its overall performance? :confused:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its not that i "dont like" the development anyway, it's more like, that's just the nature of it being part of a multimedia franchise which have to launch the games alongside anime/manga/TCG poo poo

game freak keep getting work because they release their games on time

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Especially since crunch time in video games (and the new Spider-Man movie) are pretty hot button issues right now it be weirder if you were okay with it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The 3D Pokémon games suck when they didn’t have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, I feel like the caves didn't really play to Pikmin's strengths (no time limit and no reinforcements means that splitting your army and multitasking is discouraged, it's better to focus on one thing at a time).

I know time limits break some peoples' brains but I think the gameplay works better with them.

Yeah it's a lot like Dead Rising, you don't realize how hard the design of the game is leaning on the timer until its gone, especially on the meta level with the unlimited days.

The caves seem like a solution to a problem they didn't need to have. Unlimited days means that losing pikmin is a non issue since you can print an infinite number of them. When I am in the overworld I have half my pikmin assigned to mining berries and the other half actually doing stuff because you don't actually need to multitask progress.

So they go "okay well we will make a cave system that hides all the really good pikmin and also a lot of treasures that don't allow you to infinitely print pikmin" which is fine but again is a solution to a self-made problem.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 27, 2023