Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

ElectricSheep posted:

I'm sitting on a flight back to the US from Paris and I got a weird hankering to play a legit god game cuz it's been way too long. Something like Populous or Black and White.

Is there any modern(ish) release that can scratch that itch?

Ruinarch is technically a god game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

tildes posted:

Ruinarch is technically a god game.

Shame they didn't bother finishing it.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Played Roadwarden and Suzerain recently and really enjoyed both. Does anyone have any recommendations for CYOA narrative games in the same vain?

I've already played Norco, Citizen Sleeper, Disco Elysium, Pentiment and most of the good telltale games. Not really sure what else is out there but I enjoy the more "advanced" CYOA/visual novel type games. For example, Roadwarden had hunger, sleep, timed quests, etc. Suzerain had a bunch of political systems.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Played Roadwarden and Suzerain recently and really enjoyed both. Does anyone have any recommendations for CYOA narrative games in the same vain?

I've already played Norco, Citizen Sleeper, Disco Elysium, Pentiment and most of the good telltale games. Not really sure what else is out there but I enjoy the more "advanced" CYOA/visual novel type games. For example, Roadwarden had hunger, sleep, timed quests, etc. Suzerain had a bunch of political systems.

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
Open Sorcery
Unavowed
Eliza
Kosmokrats, maybe

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 27, 2023

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

The Sorcery! series is something I really enjoyed. There's a stamina/hp system, inventory, rations, combat, etc, and a really cool spellcasting system that is contingent on what items you have in your inventory. Each game gets a little more difficult, although I think it all really peaks with Sorcery! 2. Highly recommended.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Gonna check all of these out during the Steam summer sale. Thanks, friends!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Gonna quote myself on an old rec, but I'd say it's a very good fit for anybody who enjoyed Suzerain, if you don't mind the game really showing its age looks-wise:

SexyBlindfold posted:

Bit of a deep cut, but I suggest giving Hidden Agenda a try. It's a 1988 nation sim that's mostly text-based. You should be able to find it as abandonware (though apparently the dev was sending free copies on request to whoever asked well into the 2000s provided they promised to give feedback afterwards). You're placed as interim president of a post-dictatorship Latin American nation in the late Cold War and you must try to bring the country forward from the shadow of its former tyrant in your limited time in office. The game's infamously hard (you WILL get couped) but you have to fight tooth and nail to wrestle every little victory from the nest of vipers that is your cabinet, from a literacy campaign to a new constitution to prosecuting the death squads, and when you manage to pull off the slightest positive change for your people without setting off a civil war it feels extremely rewarding.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Seconding Sorcery!, I really like Roadwarden and Suzerain as well and it's probably the closest I can think of in giving that kind of "gamebook" feel. There's also a couple of Lone Wolf adaptations which by all rights SHOULD offer a similar experience but I haven't tried them directly.

For one that's more in line with a more expansive Suzerain and drifting away from the pure CYOA more towards "real game" territory but scratching a similar itch, have you played King of Dragon Pass or its spiritual sequel Six Ages?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Have you played Night Road? It's the best out of all the V:tM CYOAs

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Long Live the Queen is basically Suzerain, except with an anime princess instead of a balding politician.

I would also recommend Yes, Your Grace and I Was A Teenage Exocolonist in that vein.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 27, 2023

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Long Live the Queen is basically Suzerain, except with an anime princess instead of a balding politician.

Volcano Princess is in the same vein, right? I haven't played it yet, but I enjoyed LLtQ. Seems to be well liked, although my review skepticism is proportional to the weeb factor.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Thank you all, I've got a long list.

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
Open Sorcery
Unavowed
Eliza
Kosmokrats
Sorcery!
Long Live the Queen
Six Ages
Hidden Agenda
I Was A Teenage Exocolonist
Night Road
King of Dragon Pass

I'm sure I won't vibe with all of them but I've been really consuming this type of game. I played a bunch of the "Choice of" games and those are fun but I definitely enjoy when there is more gameplay mechanics involved. I'm interested in Long Live the Queen I've heard really good things but the anime girl promotion shots always kind of turned me away but it looks really interesting. I know not everything with an anime girl on the cover is weird poo poo but you never know lol.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

I'm interested in Long Live the Queen I've heard really good things but the anime girl promotion shots always kind of turned me away but it looks really interesting. I know not everything with an anime girl on the cover is weird poo poo but you never know lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJcu3ClZEjY

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

malnourish posted:

Volcano Princess is in the same vein, right? I haven't played it yet, but I enjoyed LLtQ. Seems to be well liked, although my review skepticism is proportional to the weeb factor.

Volcano Princess is sloppily made, has tedious gameplay and bad translation. It's a worse version of Chinese Parents.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Man the pickings for turn based coop games are slim. So far I've found Civ 6 (thanks thread), Divinity Original Sin 2, and Wasteland 3 (2 person).

What else is there on PC? Especially stuff that is 3 person minimum and not explicitly a sprawling RPG or collosal 4x.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

grate deceiver posted:

Volcano Princess is sloppily made, has tedious gameplay and bad translation. It's a worse version of Chinese Parents.

Thank you for saving me the time and disappointment

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm looking for a good single-player card/deck building game, or at least one that can be played single player. The only catch is that I'd like it to be persistent across play sessions (as opposed to run-based) and also microtransaction-free. Buy it once, that's all there is. Except maybe a proper expansion.

I think the old Magic games (2012, 2015) used to be like that, but I'm not coming up with much else.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm looking for a good single-player card/deck building game, or at least one that can be played single player. The only catch is that I'd like it to be persistent across play sessions (as opposed to run-based) and also microtransaction-free. Buy it once, that's all there is. Except maybe a proper expansion.

I think the old Magic games (2012, 2015) used to be like that, but I'm not coming up with much else.
System Crash

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Steamworld Quest is basically a jrpg but with deckbuilder mechanics, and 80% off right now.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

malnourish posted:

Thank you for saving me the time and disappointment

Actually its good and funny because your daughter can be the most annoying person in the world and become the fantasy equivalent of a youtube debater

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

There used to be a lot more of those before roguelikes and online play picked up. The main one I have experience with is Pokemon the card game the videogame and its sequel for gameboy, which can be easily emulated. I assume a number of the Yu-Gi-Oh games were like that, and Baten Kaitos. Steamworld Quest is a more recent game.

And then there's a lot of games that use a deckbuilding system for a type of gameplay different from a normal card game like how Ironclad Tactics is a a strategy game where you build your army with a deck of cards. Megaman Battle Network has you jumping around on a 3x3 grid and your cards are the weapons you get each turn to throw at your enemy.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Manager Hoyden posted:

There's Etherlords and its sequel.
If you don't mind the Gwent system, there's Thronebreaker.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Man the pickings for turn based coop games are slim. So far I've found Civ 6 (thanks thread), Divinity Original Sin 2, and Wasteland 3 (2 person).

What else is there on PC? Especially stuff that is 3 person minimum and not explicitly a sprawling RPG or collosal 4x.

Wildermyth is good.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

Gloomhaven might feel too sprawling, but it's nicely chunked into missions, and is very good.

Across the Obelisk is fun to do runs in if you're into card games/deckbuilders.

Hellcard is a weird little roguelike deckbuilder built all around co-op.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

For the King is fun, aimed at 3 people, regularly very cheap and is like a fun speedy board game version of a real RPG campaign. I guess it's sort of like baby's mini Gloomhaven

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sunless Sea
Sunless Skies
King of Dragon Pass
Six Ages (and upcoming Six Ages 2 Lights Going Out)
Golden Treasure: The Great Green
Sorcery!
Fabled Lands
Sabres/Guns/Lords of Infinity (more traditional CYOA but with advanced mechanics)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Osmosisch posted:

Gloomhaven might feel too sprawling, but it's nicely chunked into missions, and is very good.

The video game version is good? Good production values and polish? I've played a fair bit of the board game.

Wildermyth could be good but I had my fill of it in SP and I'm just not sure it'll fit our play style, lotta reading.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Osmosisch posted:

There's Etherlords and its sequel.

Etherlords was fun, but hitting the end of a campaign just as you get a good deck together was frustrating

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Card Hunter

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Wildermyth is good.

I second this. It has a cool and unique magic system and I'm a huge fan of it's procedural storytelling system.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Osmosisch posted:

First one that came to mind here. Very much a card game, but a lot of coating with a full storyline, choices that impact story and cards, and almost every match having its own twist. Very good game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've got a bit of a weird request - been finding myself with quite a lot of steam to let off and as such would like to find a game with some really crunchy/violent melee combat. I like nuDoom and Eternal a lot but I played them to hell and back, ditto Elderborn but that's kind of the vibe I'd like to aim for - anything that makes my character feel like a berserker who just rips poo poo apart. Any good recs like that?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I've got a bit of a weird request - been finding myself with quite a lot of steam to let off and as such would like to find a game with some really crunchy/violent melee combat. I like nuDoom and Eternal a lot but I played them to hell and back, ditto Elderborn but that's kind of the vibe I'd like to aim for - anything that makes my character feel like a berserker who just rips poo poo apart. Any good recs like that?

ULTRAKILL was what came to mind before I even got to nuDoom/Eternal but definitely ULTRAKILL after that

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Warhammer Darktide or Vermintide 2. Imagine Left4Dead, but you have a claymore instead of an M4.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

i have been enjoying warhammer 40k boltgun for this, though the graphics may not give you the experience you're looking for

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
All good tips but I (sadly) played them. Thanks anyway!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

hm.

-earth defense force 5 fencer class might give you what you're looking for
-if you haven't played superhot for whatever reason then maybe give that a shot too
-Painkiller: Black Edition (or hell and damnation) might be worth a look as well, though the melee will be limited (not a whole lot less than DOOM aside from glory kills)
-Ys Origin maybe?
-if you haven't played warhammer 40k space marine, definitely that one
-maybe the serious sam games?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

One Finger Death Punch

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

anilEhilated posted:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

anilEhilated posted:

If you don't mind dipping into some older titles, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and its spiritual successor, [Prototype], excelled at just letting you run around busting poo poo up. They're even nice enough to make a handful of buildings destructible, in case you want to wreck something bigger than a car. Even just running and jumping around leave plenty of damage in your wake, so they're great games if you just want to rampage around for a while.