Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
everyone is a necromancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I considered starting as a Druid on launch, but am never wild about shapeshifting (pun intended) so did Necro. I may try it in season 1, but man if they give me some elemental shapeshift mtx I may just consider shelling out for those.

e: It's funny to have a bunch of skeletons following you throughout the story and nobody says anything. Maybe the way other necros minions appear ghostly is canon, and npcs don't see the swarm of ghosts following you around.

graynull fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 27, 2023

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I guess we were the real necromancers the whole time

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
ironically once you find the druids 2 unique chestpieces you don't shift at all anymore

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shapeshifting in D4 is cool because it's not like a toggle for bear and not bear, it just weaves into your normal attacks so depending on what you're using you're a bear sometimes or you're a wolf sometimes.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Gwaihir posted:

Technically you can kinda do item upgrades between tiers, if you put an aspect from a sacred or ancestral item on to a normal item it will unlock the last tier of blacksmith upgrades. I don't think it really gets you anything of note unless you're right next to an addix range breakpoint, but it does sorta kinda exist.

Also yes the crafting, such that it is, in this game sucks rear end. Even if crafting worked though the gear attributes are all incredibly lovely because of the whole "million affixes, all in the same bucket so they individually mean nothing" design. They could all be collapsed down to one single "Do more damage %" modifier and it would change nothing at this point, other than making gear less obnoxious to deal with.

I’m starting to feel the same about ARPGs in general. I find myself more and more just wishing they would stop with the smoke and mirrors game of gear progression because we always find the optimal amount set up within a week or so and they design it so that there’s no real reason to not stack the vuln. So just make it a straight line to the damage %.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What are the odds we get some patch notes after today's maintenance? If this maintenance is even a patch at all?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I was finishing off the WT4 capstone last night at level 63 and looked like I was going to make it and I got maintenanced right out of the game

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Why are people expecting a client patch out of live maintenance? Those are usually back-end things that can be rolling deployed to the servers for minimal impact.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SettingSun posted:

What are the odds we get some patch notes after today's maintenance? If this maintenance is even a patch at all?

Seems like they were maybe just shoring up against the ddos attacks? I would think the patch notes would have been posted by now if there was any

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Stux posted:

you coiuld just play candy crush instead perhaps? that favors gamers who can only play 2 hours every 3 months. have fun

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Why not just be friendly

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rexicon1 posted:

I’m starting to feel the same about ARPGs in general. I find myself more and more just wishing they would stop with the smoke and mirrors game of gear progression because we always find the optimal amount set up within a week or so and they design it so that there’s no real reason to not stack the vuln. So just make it a straight line to the damage %.

Progression is good, it's just the morass of a million stats that aren't really different at all that suck rear end.

idk how to get around reducing everything to one "Number go up" stat though, other than like, focusing on gear affixes being things that more tangibly change your playstyle like CDR or haste/resource gen effects.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There needs to be bad stats to have good stats in the way it’s set up since as noted there is only one way to build damage

Eventually (hopefully) they will diversify the skills and characters so that there are lots of different ways to build damage and then gear can have lots of good stats, some of which are not relevant to you at the time

Like for example a thorns build that scales to end game

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I like killing things with my poison vine friend and my three beautiful dog sons. I am sad their effectiveness will eventually fall off

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Give me patch notes dammit!!!!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

big cummers ONLY posted:

I like killing things with my poison vine friend and my three beautiful dog sons. I am sad their effectiveness will eventually fall off

we must be using the same leveling build. works nicely so far. i tried bear build and it was fine but not very fun tbh. very HULK SMASH

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Why do people think we're getting or supposed to have gotten patch notes? Is there definitely going to be a patch this week or is it just people assuming based on maintenence windows that one is coming?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Is there a good non minion Corpse Explosion build? Or should I just try and transition to bone spear in WT3?

Tired of managing 12 minions it's so many corpses to generate if they all get killed :(

explosivo posted:

Why do people think we're getting or supposed to have gotten patch notes? Is there definitely going to be a patch this week or is it just people assuming based on maintenence windows that one is coming?

The long 2 day window I guess and someone saying it would be "very, very soon." I'd have expected some full on downtime for the patch though.

But I've also seen Astryl mention keeping their client open without issue for days during multiple announced hotfixes, so maybe you don't need to restart.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

explosivo posted:

because the developers have said they will be posting patch notes "very very soon" a few days ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

explosivo posted:

The latter.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

bus hustler posted:

Is there a good non minion Corpse Explosion build? Or should I just try and transition to bone spear in WT3?

Tired of managing 12 minions it's so many corpses to generate if they all get killed :(

Decrepify has been a great replacement for CE but you do have to lean on other things for essence generation like your basic skill or ideally the Umbral aspect to give you free essence on CC. I am running a bone spear build with no minions though so maybe it's different if you're rocking the minions.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Multi-day maintenance may be a patch or it may be some new hardware install/config for the ddos’s.

It’s been a minute since they patched, there’s plenty of bugs in the game, and they said there’s a big patch coming “very soon*”

*: “very soon” in blizzard time spans all time from the current moment through the heat death of the universe

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

we must be using the same leveling build. works nicely so far. i tried bear build and it was fine but not very fun tbh. very HULK SMASH

man i felt almost the opposite of not liking wolf/poison but enjoying BEAR SMASH. its pretty funny that character looks are almost functionally useless when you're almost always a bear, they should let you edit shape forms more

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

big cummers ONLY posted:

I swapped my creeper for rabies, but I might switch again to ravens for vulnerability. I only have two puppers, how do you get three?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sloober posted:

man i felt almost the opposite of not liking wolf/poison but enjoying BEAR SMASH. its pretty funny that character looks are almost functionally useless when you're almost always a bear, they should let you edit shape forms more

i didnt do bear very much. i'm only level 26 or something so not very far along, just enough to kind of get a bear build or w/e working. it's cheap enough to respec i'll try out different stuff as i get legendary aspects to try. wanna experiment with storm, werewolf etc

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Gwaihir posted:

Progression is good, it's just the morass of a million stats that aren't really different at all that suck rear end.

idk how to get around reducing everything to one "Number go up" stat though, other than like, focusing on gear affixes being things that more tangibly change your playstyle like CDR or haste/resource gen effects.

haste cdr and resource gen are just the worst imaginable affixes in a game, conceptually :colbert:. cdr and resource gen are both fixing problems you made so you can have strong, desirable affixes. i'm dogmatic on this a bit, but cdr is just the worst thing to have to stack in games and makes zero sense as an affix that would exist

imo you want cool affixes you make stuff that mechanically changes skills, whether specific skills or global changes to skill effects, (which incidentally is a lot better for balancing than trying to get the numbers perfectly in line with other skills). as to how to make them more depthful than just 'stack number go up' is making the gear creation process exactly that, a process. preferably with more tiers of gear than just tiers of affix strength and 'item power' (which might as well be the cdr of itemization). I think that this requires an actual crafting system, but idk, maybe there's some other way to stretch the process out without just making the good stuff unbelievably rare.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sloober posted:

they should let you edit shape forms more

This feels like the most potential cash shop omission to me. "Pay us $20 and you can look like a Panda!" or some poo poo.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

explosivo posted:

This feels like the most potential cash shop omission to me. "Pay us $20 and you can look like a Panda!" or some poo poo.

This is done and in the game files but just waiting for the Panda Express cross promo

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

wemgo posted:

Multi-day maintenance may be a patch or it may be some new hardware install/config for the ddos’s.

It’s been a minute since they patched, there’s plenty of bugs in the game, and they said there’s a big patch coming “very soon*”

*: “very soon” in blizzard time spans all time from the current moment through the heat death of the universe

It is worth noting that the Tuesday maintenance was announced last week, while Yesterday’s was announced after all the DDoS attacks started happening but I’ve still got no clue if the patch is today

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The game does have affixes which change skills ?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

i didnt do bear very much. i'm only level 26 or something so not very far along, just enough to kind of get a bear build or w/e working. it's cheap enough to respec i'll try out different stuff as i get legendary aspects to try. wanna experiment with storm, werewolf etc

early pulverize is ok, if you find the shockwave aspect it gets insane. for a while i was using 'pulverize is an earth skill' and the shockwave aspect with "earth skills slow on hit' and 'gain resource when you crowd control' and it was fairly self-sustaining. it was nice while it lasted before the weapon became outdated and i couldn't use the shockwave anymore since it was already imprinted and haven't managed to find another one in 25 levels. the guaranteed overpower every 12 seconds is strong

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Brain Curry posted:

I swapped my creeper for rabies, but I might switch again to ravens for vulnerability. I only have two puppers, how do you get three?

There's an aspect(? legendary item mod) that gives you an extra companion. I don't run ravens right now but I think it gives an extra creeper/raven also. It's neat! I also got one that makes my Blood Howl affect allies, so I can heal them and boost their crit/attack speed.

The guide I'm following runs cyclone armor but I swapped it for the bear dash because I don't like playing without at least one mobility skill

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

explosivo posted:

It's Patch Tuesday, which apparently, means every Tuesday they roll out game changing patches.

Or so they say.

They being randos on the internet. Like me.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

bus hustler posted:

Infinimist or bonespear, but both require a good amount of lucky hit from gear and some specific aspects that are drop only.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The community manager has said patch is coming very very soon for days now

But hes working on geologic time scale

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

No way is a patch dropping today. Blizzard usually announces patches 2-3 days ahead by releasing patch notes.

I'm guessing "very, very soon" means they have a release candidate that *could* go next week, but they are still trying to fit in a couple extra things that'll push it back.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

big cummers ONLY posted:

There's an aspect(? legendary item mod) that gives you an extra companion. I don't run ravens right now but I think it gives an extra creeper/raven also. It's neat! I also got one that makes my Blood Howl affect allies, so I can heal them and boost their crit/attack speed.

The guide I'm following runs cyclone armor but I swapped it for the bear dash because I don't like playing without at least one mobility skill

Druid chat is fun. I found an axe with that pulverize is an earth magic and also does Shockwave aspect, so I respected into it completely and it rocks. The werebear moves are very satisfying to use, a lot more satisfying than the werewolf ones imo. I was running a storm strike leveling build but it was very boring to me. Raven is a lot of fun, if a little less effective than the creeper or wolves. I don't know, the only reason I've stuck with druid is because a werebear with an attack raven and earth magic is cool as gently caress.

Necro armor looks loving sick tho

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Herstory Begins Now posted:

haste cdr and resource gen are just the worst imaginable affixes in a game, conceptually :colbert:. cdr and resource gen are both fixing problems you made so you can have strong, desirable affixes. i'm dogmatic on this a bit, but cdr is just the worst thing to have to stack in games and makes zero sense as an affix that would exist

imo you want cool affixes you make stuff that mechanically changes skills, whether specific skills or global changes to skill effects, (which incidentally is a lot better for balancing than trying to get the numbers perfectly in line with other skills). as to how to make them more depthful than just 'stack number go up' is making the gear creation process exactly that, a process. preferably with more tiers of gear than just tiers of affix strength and 'item power' (which might as well be the cdr of itemization). I think that this requires an actual crafting system, but idk, maybe there's some other way to stretch the process out without just making the good stuff unbelievably rare.

I don't disagree that CDR is bad, conceptually. Invariably stuff that needs CDR/haste/resource gen feels like absolute dogshit to play without it, to the point where you're more likely than not going to just go "this build loving sucks, what am I doing?" when trying it out.

I'm 100% on the side of cooldowns being low to nonexistent in games like this. I only list it as an attribute that has a more tangible effect than half a % larger number.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I dont want to get to a place in this game where, like d3, you have universal best affixes for 90% of builds. (I.e. cdr, crit chance, crit dmg being required on almost all amulets)

Fixing resource gen problems, nerfing crit/vuln, and creating/buffing strong affixes could theoretically fix this, but im not sure blizz wants to. Creativity in game mechanics isn’t really their strong suit. However, “polish” and simplicity in game mechanics IS what they do well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
They've been getting hit with DDOS attacks since Saturday and I bet that's a deciding factor on releasing the patch. Between those attacks and the pressure that the patch has to not piss off the majority of the community (challenge level: impossible), I bet they're working overtime. I wouldn't be surprised to see a patch today followed by a few hotfixes, but I'm also not counting on it.