Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah the whole point of potatoes is that you put them in a cool and dark space and they basically don't go off in any reasonable amount of time it would take for you to eat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the whole thing makes no goddamned sense the more you think about it.

:911:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Places where you might conceivably need canned potatoes because they'll go off otherwise will have local veg that has actual flavour.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I got loving blasted on enough shrooms to fight God Friday and Saturday, and boy did this thread make for some fun reading waking up Sunday morning.

Hello Mr Prigozhin, how do you like Minsk?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Yeah the whole thing makes no goddamned sense the more you think about it.

:911:

I couldn't tell if this was on-topic or off-topic at first

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
On topic - would the Russians have gotten further if their field kitchens were full of canned potatoes instead of whole ones?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

The hell is wrong with potatoes in your slow-cooker stew?

Tinned potatoes are already cooked in the tin, so are the green beans, no idea about the little sausages... and then she slow cooks it for 4 to 6 hours. :suicide:

It's a loving disgrace. :argh:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dick Ripple posted:

The amount of Ukrainian mechanized/armored assaults being posted on Reddit seems to be increasing, and the amount of AP/AT mines they are hitting is ridiculous. I gather the entirety of the Russian defensive line is just one single multi kilometer deep minefield. Does the US/NATO even have enough mine clearing equipment for that task? Because it is clear the Ukrainians do not even have close enough.

They absolutely have the poo poo to handle it, as do the Ukrainian forces. There are dozens of different systems to find, detect, and clear. I'm sure at this point they've developed cottage made MCLIC type munitions. Other methods include engineering vehicles, Fuel Air munitions like Daisy Cutters. Any and all take time and exposure. Getting through isn't the issue. Getting through while being combat effective to continue operations is a different story. Removing all the tech and tools, a few guys with sticks can do it. Many billion years ago, we would also throw grappling hooks and drag them an anchor.

Russian forces have a know history of scattering mines without mapping, and without concern to the field layout. What I mean is that in manuals, it will list how to place out a field- how many AP placed with distance and pattern around the AT. That effects clearance operations-). US manuals used to list have 4 toe poppers within 2 meters of an AT mine to kill the engineers. Air scatterable make it different, but not by a lot. Properly done, they have a predictable field of dispersement. You would still have a mapped danger area. They don't have the manpower, munitions, or logistics to hold long term, so massive fields become a strategic issue. Mines are cheap guards to hold a perimeter, always vigilant, always effective.

Mine fields are obstacles. Obstacles are (should be!) ALWAYS under observation, in a prearranged field of fire, and/or presighted for arty. With advanced drone tactics, the danger goes higher.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Just Another Lurker posted:

Tinned potatoes are already cooked in the tin, so are the green beans, no idea about the little sausages... and then she slow cooks it for 4 to 6 hours. :suicide:

It's a loving disgrace. :argh:

You are correct- everything she put in the slow cooker was already cooked, including the weiner bites.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
she should've just dumped thme into 2 liters of mayonnaise and called it a salad as midwestern jesus intended

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
you can have all the tools and its still incredibly difficult to remove mines. it involces maneuvering vulnerable, easily identifiable vehicles into position and deploying equipment such as mine rollers while under heavy artillery fire to clear a narrow lane, and then having to advance in column over open sight lines through the cleared lane

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

she should've just dumped thme into 2 liters of mayonnaise and called it a salad as midwestern jesus intended

Can i evangelize on sous vide potato and carrots?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Cimber posted:

Can i evangelize on sous vide potato and carrots?

why the gently caress would you sous vide veg?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

As a Midwesterner, I would like to point out that there's plenty of eastern European and Scandinavian food here in Chicago and it's also bland and heavy on starches and cream.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

hazardousmouse posted:

why the gently caress would you sous vide veg?

Because it comes out delicious. Try doing sous vide carrots with a tablespoon of butter and a teaspoon of brown sugar for two hours at 135 then get back to me.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Just roast em with the same crap on em. Browning is flavor.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Gonna be honest and say I never knew there was such a thing as canned potatoes. Holy loving poo poo that is the whitest poo poo I’ve ever seen. Ever.

Don’t be saying that poo poo in vain, you know goddamn well you’ve seen whiter. The term you were looking for was AMERICAN!

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Just roast em with the same crap on em. Browning is flavor.

Roasted veggies are the best veggies.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

ASAPI posted:

Roasted veggies are the best veggies.

If you have a sous vide, try it once. You won't be disappointed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

The X-man cometh posted:

As a Midwesterner, I would like to point out that there's plenty of eastern European and Scandinavian food here in Chicago and it's also bland and heavy on starches and cream.

russian salads are possibly the only things that outdo the midwest for sheer mayonnaise content

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Dude really rolled up in here and said "gently caress the maillard reaction".

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Y’all are a split-step away from summoning a war over BBQ, and the people within all the state threads for southern states will descend upon us all :cry:

They’ll unite against Alabama at first, but will eventually consume each other (in a sauce befitting whichever state they call home).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Cimber posted:

Because it comes out delicious. Try doing sous vide carrots with a tablespoon of butter and a teaspoon of brown sugar for two hours at 135 then get back to me.

That sounds awful please peddle your wares elsewhere. Why would I ruin delicious carrots with brown sugar and my arteries with unnecessary butter.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Icon Of Sin posted:

Y’all are a split-step away from summoning a war over BBQ, and the people within all the state threads for southern states will descend upon us all :cry:

They’ll unite against Alabama at first, but will eventually consume each other (in a sauce befitting whichever state they call home).

I think you mean a war over GRILLING

:smug:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I will always back Hawaiian BBQ.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

(in a sauce befitting whichever state they call home).

nah I've lived in SC my entire life and I'm not afraid to call mustard sauce the bullshit that it is

but we should join hands over one of the few truly universal markers of humanity, can you even call yourself a culture if you don't have your own local variation of beans + rice + shredded pork

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 27, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

Well, the only state that does BBQ right is Oklahoma. Everyone is is just wrong.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Icon Of Sin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AT3ipX9-do

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

food

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

what an inventive new slur for Russian soldiers. NYC appreciates your cultural appropriation

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stop the derails you loving nerds. We’ve got both a current events and a regular bullshitting thread that are both excellent places to post non Ukraine related stuff.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Hekk posted:

Stop the derails you loving nerds. We’ve got both a current events and a regular bullshitting thread that are both excellent places to post non Ukraine related stuff.

:)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kyiv Post, quoting UK SecDef (I think? His title is weird): Ukraine has taken back more land in this counteroffensive than Russia took during their actual offensive.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1673687753672859650?s=20

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Icon Of Sin posted:

Kyiv Post, quoting UK SecDef (I think? His title is weird): Ukraine has taken back more land in this counteroffensive than Russia took during their actual offensive.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1673687753672859650?s=20

Although in an absolute sense it's not a lot of territory. It's less than 1% of occupied territory.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1673711743183253507

quote:

A W E S O M E
Putin is to provide the Rosgvardiya with tanks and artillery. At the expense of their regular military fighting in Ukraine, as well as the hardware in store.
Don’t even try to understand this hell of a decision. We all give it nothing but 100% support

So if I'm reading this right, the Wagner uprising scared Putin enough that materiel is going off the front lines, or being redirecte on its way to the front lines, and instead being given to the folks who might stand in the way of a second uprising by some other internal group?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Or now have the guns to do it themselves! Clearly need another group to counter that group.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Stravag fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 27, 2023

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
This should be clear as day to americans, whose political science is based on ”checks and balances” :P

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

In Austria Hungary it was Czechs and Bohemians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1673711743183253507

So if I'm reading this right, the Wagner uprising scared Putin enough that materiel is going off the front lines, or being redirecte on its way to the front lines, and instead being given to the folks who might stand in the way of a second uprising by some other internal group?

Putin came out of this whole thing looking pretty vulnerable, IMO. A bunch of mercs mounted up and took a major city and were 600 km down the road and what did the tough guy do? Fled Moscow and negotiated.

Putin must have poo poo himself when he saw that the states response was mostly to fence sit while a few loyalists farted into the wind. Like, maybe that inadvertent SAM hit on the fuel depot really was all that stopped the thunder run right to the Kremlin?

He’s got to be sweating bullets waiting to see if some new group of conspirators shows up with a better plan and executes it.