Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
not me, I whip around those people and do sick drifts in the open lanes like in known video game forza horizon 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

e: technical difficulties please stand by

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the milk machine posted:

to be fair in the first game cars will just sit in traffic when there are totally clear alternate ways for them to travel

https://twitter.com/TaylorWAnderson/status/1673145868629987329

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
see I bet if any of those people were going somewhere else they wouldn’t just wait in the jack in the box line

I don’t think Americans like waiting

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

the milk machine posted:

not me, I whip around those people and do sick drifts in the open lanes like in known video game forza horizon 5

https://i.imgur.com/1ozhBFT.mp4

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

this mod looks awesome

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I spent an entire afternoon last month learning it and playing it to get far enough to unlock bike lanes and remodel my entire city around having them everywhere

at some point you either have to do large-scale remodeling of your city, or start building with an "endgame" layout in mind, and I wasn't really mentally prepared for doing that, but it was nice to pursue a more modest goal

Yeah it seems like a pretty big time investment to learn all the systems so the game is fun but it didn't get its hooks in me. It seemed more like a proof of concept than a game

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not actually a traffic simulator, it's a city painter with an annoying traffic layer on top that's always trying to sabotage you. If it had an actual traffic simulator it would actually encourage city planning.

having actually-working-traffic is sort of why I'm getting progressively more hype for CS2

Halser posted:

just put roundabouts everywhere

your city needs more roundabouts than it needs houses

"roundabouts will work properly now" is also another of the things that CS2 is supposedly going to do

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is why city builder should start you off at an actual reasonable founding of your city, or with like a base early 19th century one, so the developers are forced to make remodeling your city over time a core part of the gameplay that needs as much love as expanding.

simcity used to do something like this where you'd start with an already-built city and then be given an objective to reach within so many years. A lot of the time it was "we recreated Hamburg/Miami and clicked the firebombing/hurricane button" which wasn't that interesting because it was "just" a test of you rebuilding whatever it was that the disaster wrecked, but sometimes you'd get a "it's Detroit post-deindustrialization and you have to revitalize the city"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

turn off the TV posted:

You make it a non issue with basic planning though.

Don't build highways. Use a hierarchy of roads. Don't make stroads. Have any public transportation. Don't make industrial traffic ever drive on streets until they're at their destination. Build fewer intersections on grade separated roads.

I've seen tons of complaints about the impossible traffic sim from people with lovely planning saying that the game sucks because they can't fix traffic by adding more lanes
the fact that it's that simple is part of why it sucks. though the issue is probably more that you get to design from scratch, rather than having to slowly fix like a 1960s remodel of the city that included building a 10 lane highway right through the middle. but i get that not everyone wants "Victoria, but a city builder". having to deal with the consequences of the philosophies of previous planners (and their evil overlords) is an integral part of being an urban planner to my mind.

gradenko_2000 posted:

having actually-working-traffic is sort of why I'm getting progressively more hype for CS2

"roundabouts will work properly now" is also another of the things that CS2 is supposedly going to do
yeah, the things that have been revealed so far are at least promising in the sense that they acknowledge some major weaknesses of the original.

gradenko_2000 posted:

simcity used to do something like this where you'd start with an already-built city and then be given an objective to reach within so many years. A lot of the time it was "we recreated Hamburg/Miami and clicked the firebombing/hurricane button" which wasn't that interesting because it was "just" a test of you rebuilding whatever it was that the disaster wrecked, but sometimes you'd get a "it's Detroit post-deindustrialization and you have to revitalize the city"
a "post-deindustrialization: our finances are hosed" start would at least be a good compromise for adding some challenge/realism to the gameplay, as opposed to essentially building a colonial town with 21st century tech. even if i think it'd be a lot cooler if new technologies and ideologies would affect how you approached city building. like having to take into account that a lot of the people who might want to move to your city think cars rule, meaning you could make a deal with the devil to rapidly grow your city, knowing full well that you'll eventually have to deal with the consequences.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

turn off the TV posted:

You make it a non issue with basic planning though.

Don't build highways. Use a hierarchy of roads. Don't make stroads. Have any public transportation. Don't make industrial traffic ever drive on streets until they're at their destination. Build fewer intersections on grade separated roads.

I've seen tons of complaints about the impossible traffic sim from people with lovely planning saying that the game sucks because they can't fix traffic by adding more lanes

C:S does bait you into loving up your planning by not unlocking any actual good options for transit planning until you're like 5-10 hours into the game

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the fact that it's that simple is part of why it sucks. though the issue is probably more that you get to design from scratch, rather than having to slowly fix like a 1960s remodel of the city that included building a 10 lane highway right through the middle. but i get that not everyone wants "Victoria, but a city builder". having to deal with the consequences of the philosophies of previous planners (and their evil overlords) is an integral part of being an urban planner to my mind.

wtf, make this game immediately, set it in chicago, we used to get poo poo DONE in this country god dammit!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_of_Chicago

for real though, Well There's Your Problem: The Game where you get tossed into nightmare urban planning scenarios and have to navigate them would be fun for a sick freak like me

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I always wanted a city builder but it's about politics because it's would be funny to have building a power plant be a multi year long process just to get the permits and environmental impact analysis done let alone construction, meanwhile your efforts to expand the bus system keep getting blocked by the city council because half of them were elected by nimbys who are very concerned with "the wrong people" being able to get to their neighborhoods

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Agean90 posted:

I always wanted a city builder but it's about politics because it's would be funny to have building a power plant be a multi year long process just to get the permits and environmental impact analysis done let alone construction, meanwhile your efforts to expand the bus system keep getting blocked by the city council because half of them were elected by nimbys who are very concerned with "the wrong people" being able to get to their neighborhoods

there was a game i was excited for for a couple years that was going to try and do more nuanced/interesting city builder than just painting the map, and well

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A Buttery Pastry posted:

CS1 has scenarios where you're dropped into an already existing city but AFAIK nobody ever plays though. they could be fun for CS2 since the actual city sim aspect of the game is going to exist for the first time.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

workers and resources soviet republic is the only game like this I feel I'll ever need

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Cup Runneth Over posted:

C:S does bait you into loving up your planning by not unlocking any actual good options for transit planning until you're like 5-10 hours into the game

yup, having road types behind unlocks makes you do things that you wouldn’t otherwise do.

I’m fine with unlocks but not of that nature, the gently caress wouldn’t my town know how to make a six lane arterial road? let me set up for the future!

all the new stuff looks great though I’m gonna make some huge cities.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I’m mad at the new final fantasy for only having two options for graphics stuff. Frame Rate mode is clearer for my old eyes to see but it swings wildly from 45-60 and makes me dizzy.

Quality mode stays at a consistent 30 but it also adds a bunch of dogshit motion blur and depth of field that makes everything look like a lovely Manet painting.

I would love a high res version without all the gross post processing stuff, but console users are scared with having options I guess.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

smarxist posted:

there was a game i was excited for for a couple years that was going to try and do more nuanced/interesting city builder than just painting the map, and well

oh god don't remind me of this disappointment

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
There's a really compelling time/place to make a city building game, like right at the industrial boom when they were expanding crazy, but you gotta be a Plucky Lil Entrepreneur and not an entity that just does what it wants, something like Anno1800 mixed with The Guild

if a company like Paradox snatched up The Guild or tried to make a game like it, hot drat

edit:
Transport Fever 2 almost scratched this itch, it was cool watching the cities develop as you processed more goods in, even goods that were requested but unrelated to missions, expand on that, i'onno

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

there is this awesome YouTube series where this guy (a goon, in fact, and a leftist to boot) plays a city from pre-history (read: pre-colonialism) through to present and having to correct and accommodate all his historically accurate fuckups along the way while talking about issues like eminent domain and such

as a bonus it’s based on Philadelphia and its
history

it was all the rage in the Games C:S thread for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTfuA2hXi8s

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ben Nerevarine posted:

there is this awesome YouTube series where this guy (a goon, in fact, and a leftist to boot) plays a city from pre-history (read: pre-colonialism) through to present and having to correct and accommodate all his historically accurate fuckups along the way while talking about issues like eminent domain and such

as a bonus it’s based on Philadelphia and its
history

it was all the rage in the Games C:S thread for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTfuA2hXi8s
this series is leaving Plato's cave for city builders

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Atomic hearts dlc preview
https://twitter.com/Focus_entmt/status/1673345896376061952?t=Gr2ck4VPM85mZ3ngt4YksQ&s=19

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i need to get around to trying that on Game Pass to see if I like it. The aesthetics seem cool and the gunplay serviceable, but it was a bit maligned at release so I need to see for myself if its any good

too many drat games tho, ill never get through my list

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i need to get around to trying that on Game Pass to see if I like it. The aesthetics seem cool and the gunplay serviceable, but it was a bit maligned at release so I need to see for myself if its any good

too many drat games tho, ill never get through my list

Having played it, it's middling. Lots of baffling design choices, haphazard plot and atrocious writing. As you said the combat is serviceable and it's got some really neat aesthetics but it's nothing special aside from a few select moments.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

stay safe, gamers

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I got like 150 crystals in a D4 helltide and the location of the good chest then had like 3 deaths in a row where the Q button did nothing and dropped down to 20 and ragequit rather than build back up.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Having played it, it's middling. Lots of baffling design choices, haphazard plot and atrocious writing. As you said the combat is serviceable and it's got some really neat aesthetics but it's nothing special aside from a few select moments.

The writing isn't that bad but there's a lot of stuff that it doesn't explain or discuss that it really needed to, mostly about the main character

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

I got like 150 crystals in a D4 helltide and the location of the good chest then had like 3 deaths in a row where the Q button did nothing and dropped down to 20 and ragequit rather than build back up.

that was my first helltide experience as well lmao

i cleared some strongholds (cool) and killed a world boss (fun) but now i have a legendary upgrade i want to use, but swapping the ability i want on it involves Doodad Gathering :negative;

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ben Nerevarine posted:

stay safe, gamers

You seem cool, don't log in tomorrow.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

smarxist posted:

that was my first helltide experience as well lmao

i cleared some strongholds (cool) and killed a world boss (fun) but now i have a legendary upgrade i want to use, but swapping the ability i want on it involves Doodad Gathering :negative;

Yeah the first helltide I had no issue and got the big-rear end 175 chest, but I kept getting basically telefragged last night. The helltides are generally less fun mechanics though; just run around this area killing mobs for 25 minutes.

I mean, there is other stuff to do in strongholds and world bosses and side quests and the tree of whispers. All that stuff is fun, but I do want to take the occasion helltide since that's where everyone says the best loot is.

It seems like the level progression slowed to a crawl once I hit 50 (the paragon points offered as intermediate steps between levels and the color of the leveling bar changing points to this as well). I was hoping the fun side stuff could get me to 70 and Tier IV, but it's looking less likely.

What does teaming up do? I kept getting requests. I accepted one, but it didn't seem to change anything other than I was now doing HIS side activities and boosting his area reputations instead of my own.

Edit: Also scrap your junk poo poo more often than you sell it. It generates those doodads so you don't have to find them in the wild.

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Jun 27, 2023

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
the ghost of Metzen haunts these hallowed halls

some say late at night you can still hear snorts from the C-level men’s room and slurps from the mothers’ room

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think the only benefit to teaming up is an experience boost

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Helltide lol that's a stupid name. Bring in the hellcrab traps, the helltide's changin!

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I love that all the diablo posts in the thread are like "this thing is dogshit. It sucks and I have to grind for 100 hours and it will bug out and make me lose all progress. I will keep playing this its soooo fun"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Turtle Sandbox posted:

You seem cool, don't log in tomorrow.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Grapplejack posted:

I love that all the diablo posts in the thread are like "this thing is dogshit. It sucks and I have to grind for 100 hours and it will bug out and make me lose all progress. I will keep playing this its soooo fun"

yeah thats the diablo experience in a nutshell

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
enjoy this fair time in diablo my friends because by next year it will be a completely different game

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Diablo is the one series I really miss once I stopped playing games that really only gave you extrinsic motivation since the gameplay is actually kind of fun.

But not as fun as a bunch of other poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

enjoy this fair time in diablo my friends because by next year it will be a completely different game

Oh it'll be loving trash when they start doing "seasons" or whatever