Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Volte posted:

edit: I specifically remember that the shareware CD had the "Q" logo on the disk, repeated four times around the circle, and the retail CD just said "Quake" on it.

here's images of it on archive
https://archive.org/details/quake-sw

I'd called into 1800-idgames and ordered the full version and everything was identical to the shareware, except it had the full version (basically pak1.pak alongside pak0.pak). Gritty Nine-inch-nails-tastic printed digipak case and all.
It also came with a copy of Kick.wad which was ... odd.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Kick_Attack!

> Doom 2 should have been a step between Doom 1 and Quake, with Quake's scripting, a hubworld, client/server networking, but still using something that's more or less the Doom engine.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's basically what ended up delivering in 1995.
Like how? A sourceport like Boom? Monolith's Doom95 / WinDoom?

Part of me kinda pines for an alternate history where a game called Doom 2 that resembled Zandronum with a software renderer came out on Windows 95

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm in Canada so I wonder if the retail release with a jewel case and regular Quake label was for international markets or something.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm Canadian and my copy of retail Quake is exactly as described in the thread - a digipack and the disc has 4 Qs on it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Milo and POTUS posted:

I barely use the sword tbh. Are you stocked up on ammo/armor before the fight? Get far away when he does the energy waves you jump or duck under so you have more time. Civvie said there was audio cues to jump or duck but I never noticed them. Use the little robots as lunge bait for ammo and health.

E: just booted up a save before the boss on hard to see if there are audio cues (there are) and died like 20 times in 15 minutes. I have 13 hours of playtime in the demo and have beat it dozens of times. It's just a hard fight lol so don't feel too bad. The thing has a general pattern but will deviate from it rarely so yknow that's fun to deal with.

Finally got it after about an hour's worth of restarts over two separate sessions. Feels way hard for a first boss fight.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Coffee Jones posted:

> Doom 2 should have been a step between Doom 1 and Quake, with Quake's scripting, a hubworld, client/server networking, but still using something that's more or less the Doom engine.

I think they left the name Hexen out of their post.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Coffee Jones posted:

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think they left the name Hexen out of their post.
Yeah Hexen. I wrote "Hexen" in the post originally I swear.

It is that half-way to Quake though. A bunch of things that ended up being popularized by ZDoom originated in Hexen like scripting (ACS), polyobjects, MAPINFO.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm playing Severed Steel and I feel like I'm the only goon who isn't in love. The mechanics are fun enough, but the visuals and level design are abstract and "floaty" in a way that makes it hard for me to connect with. I'll play a couple maps and then think, "I'm good for now" which mos def isn't how I feel with most other games in the Early FPS subgenre.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 26, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Do you mean Severed Steel or the mech game from 1996? Anyhow, I didn't enjoy Severed Steel much either simply because of the uninteresting level design. Doing actiony stuns is fine and all but I guess I need a bit more in a game. Not knocking it - I can definitely see its appeal for some audiences, but I'm not in them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Man Shattered Steel rocked. I forgot I bought it on GOG awhile back I should play it again.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah I thought Severed Steel was fine. Their next game, Echo Point Nova, looks like it has a bit more meat to it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its funny, cause I absolutely love, love, loved Severed Steel (especially its DLC stages) to the point it was my game of the year last year but Echo Point Nova looks like dogshit to me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mordja posted:

I'm playing Severed Steel and I feel like I'm the only goon who isn't in love. The mechanics are fun enough, but the visuals and level design are abstract and "floaty" in a way that makes it hard for me to connect with. I'll play a couple maps and then think, "I'm good for now" which mos def isn't how I feel with most other games in the Early FPS subgenre.

I didn't like it much either but it runs like a slug on my computer. Deadlink tora didn't run flawlessly either. I didn't even make it out of training before it started making me sick and I was't impressed enough to put in the hours to acclimate to it. I also don't think it's much of an early FPS but that's a contentious matter and best ignored. I liked echo point nova a lot more though, so far

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I loved Severed Steel but thought the 2-ish hours of the campaign were just right. It had just about gotten to the point where I was wanting more stuff to do and then the game was over.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Coffee Jones posted:

Carmack was saying in that Lex Friedman interview that 2.5 years between Doom 1 and Quake was too much for a small company. Quake was too ambitious including a renderer, Quake C scripting, full on TCP/IP networking with servers and clients, and that Doom 2 should have been a step between Doom 1 and Quake, with Quake's scripting, a hubworld, client/server networking, but still using something that's more or less the Doom engine.

He said that but Quake was a huge success and Doom II the greatest FPS ever so :shrug:

Acolyte! posted:

I still have my retail big box copy of Quake from 96. It has a digipak CD case and the CD is the four Qs - it looks exactly like the shareware, except that it's the full game. I think if you look at the disc itself for either version it has a "Distributed by GT Interactive" on the outside edge of the disc art.

Mine is an OEM copy (full game) that came with a flight stick (yes) and it has the four Qs with some extra text on it.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 27, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Barudak posted:

Its funny, cause I absolutely love, love, loved Severed Steel (especially its DLC stages) to the point it was my game of the year last year but Echo Point Nova looks like dogshit to me.

Yeah I agree, the weird Minecraft-esque opening (it's the best way I can describe it) along with the weird weightless surf mechanics just really don't appeal to me I guess.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Woolie Wool posted:

He said that but Quake was a huge success and Doom II the greatest FPS ever so :shrug:

Carmack’s been talking about that for years, but my understanding is that he was advocating for a Doom 3 or a Doom World (heh) for the time between Doom II and Quake - leave the renderer alone but focus on the networking. I don’t know how well that would have worked though; the state of networking was even more primitive in 95 than 96. Things were moving fast back then.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Wrath team just confirmed they're not expecting to hit 1.0 in 2023. Lol.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

:/

(I bought it in a sale in EGS, I still haven't run it, waiting for 1.0)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Turin Turambar posted:

Ouch. I'm still sitting at the portal waiting for I assume the first boss almost full across the board

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I got it in a recent Boomer Shooter bundle - was planning to get it anyway when it hit v1.

Wasn't the problem that there's only one or two people out there that know how to do the specific things with the Quake engine that they're doing?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Turin Turambar posted:

Same, bought it on Steam a long time ago and decided to just wait until full release. Funny, because I was just asking about the slow pace of development not too long ago...

E: laughing at this comment under the announcement on Steam though:

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 27, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It is telling that after Wrath and Ion Fury's whole, "we're running on old engines!" gimmick all of 3DRealms subsequent games switched to UE or whatever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They keep having biweekly updates and the stuff looks cool. I do think it's funny that I got it for last xmas and I'll probably not play it until next ????? (summer?)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

They keep having biweekly updates and the stuff looks cool. I do think it's funny that I got it for last xmas and I'll probably not play it until next ????? (summer?)
yeah they're moving along. they might reach content complete before the end of year but they'd still have polish work to do. 1.0 probably won't be very far into 2024

they also probably are wisely avoiding other games like Blood West and Viscerafest which are wrapping up near the end of the year

e: oh yea also like. they've still got detail/texture work to do throughout the game as well. the updates are pretty clear about where they're at

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 27, 2023

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mordja posted:

It is telling that after Wrath and Ion Fury's whole, "we're running on old engines!" gimmick all of 3DRealms subsequent games switched to UE or whatever.
The Build engine is, famously, a colossal shitshow; I assume eduke32 has improved matters but I don't know how much.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Milo and POTUS posted:

They always read like me trying to show my boss that I have actually done something this week.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

UE is probably better documented and not held together with duct tape and Ken Silverman's latent psychic energy.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm sure they took it down forever ago but Wrath used to have a roadmap that looked something like:

Update ONE - (Finished) - 1 new level, 2 new enemies
Update TWO - 1 new weapon, 1 new level
Update THREE - 1 new level, 1 new weapon, 3 new enemies
Update FOUR - 1.0 RELEASE - the whole rest of the game

it was like the big thing that put me off getting it in EA back then

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

ToxicFrog posted:

The Build engine is, famously, a colossal shitshow; I assume eduke32 has improved matters but I don't know how much.

Part of the problem with Build was Silverman’s infamous inability to properly organize his code or do version tracking (which is a little more understandable given that it was the mid-90s…). I remember a 3D Realms dev griping how every time there was an engine upgrade there was a lot of frenzied diff checking and hours set aside to figure out what shifted between versions. I don’t know how the various source ports have managed to accommodate all the rangy variations of Build in the wild, but my hat is off to them. Build is a much bigger mess than Doom ever was.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

An early access game… being delayed for ages???? No…

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

ToxicFrog posted:

it's still pretty gnarly in there

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
What I wanna know is where the gently caress is Phantom Fury. Gimme SOMETHING. There's been some mild devblog updates but I want more screenshots and videos and also for it to come out tomorrow.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Woolie Wool posted:

Sure it was a success, but from Masters of Doom, things had gone late, any of the ambitious original designs were trashed in favor of “we’re making another doom” (probably for the best), so the core Quake game was thrown together over a crunch time of eight months, they developed a hostile work environment, and at the end Romero and Petersen left.
An in the case of Doom II - It’s a bit hipstery, but you can see how Valve treats sequels, they’d rather job out “pretty but more of the same” additions to Half Life 2 and don’t have the appetite to do anything unless it’s genuinely new like create the first (and probably only) AAA VR game. John Carmack’s involvement with Doom 2 was minimal; no renderer updates, just more levels.
Still… the question comes up - “How far can we go with (mostly) vanilla doom mapping?” - and thirty loving years later Romero is working on SIGIL 2.

david_a posted:

Carmack’s been talking about that for years, but my understanding is that he was advocating for a Doom 3 or a Doom World (heh) for the time between Doom II and Quake - leave the renderer alone but focus on the networking. I don’t know how well that would have worked though; the state of networking was even more primitive in 95 than 96. Things were moving fast back then.

Old DOS doom over serial cable requires everyone start their game at the same time, one system is dedicated as the server and sends out updates to the other players. The state of the game from moment to moment has to by synchronized to the other players. It’s not pretty, and they capped the players at four. I think (and my memory is fuzzy here) if one of the players dropped off they had to restart the game session. It’s only something that makes sense if all the players were on a Lan and sitting in the same room. It’s not pretty.

Proper multiplayer is like a Day One architectural concern. The code gets split into the server side and client side. Server manages the state of the world and sends updates to the client. The client displays the game, and sends player actions to the server. So, even if you’re playing single player, the server is running and communicating in memory, instead of over TCP/IP. This sort of thing means a more or less complete re-evaluation of Doom’s design, especially if they wanted to make it work well with shoddy networks ; the whole concept of netcode is something we still talk about today. ID was definitely building the foundation of the future. I don’t know of other (commercial) games that had this sort of asynchronous open multiplayer setup like Quake.

quote:

I don’t know how well that would have worked though; the state of networking was even more primitive in 95 than 96. Things were moving fast back then.
Riiight…. There’s the whole concept of ‘market fit’. Sure they went to all the trouble to rewrite the game as client+server, but would people really want this? It’s bleeding edge, maybe not quite fit for primetime.

How many people have a networking setup at home or even work? What kind of network is it? TCP/IP wasn’t even the de-facto standard; Dos Quake came with IPX support out of the box in DOS, but you had to run a wrapper program to enable TCP/IP support in Windows.

Setting up a dedicated quake server, sharing an IP around. That’s a lot to ask of the general public. Quake 1 didn’t even include an in-game server browser- something that happened in Quake 2.

Anyway “DoomWorld” / Doom 3 COULD have happened in late 1994, but as things shook out, it might have been too ahead of its time. The whole DOS/Windows 95 switchover and, uh… The Web Itself, everyone singing up for AOL, etc. is a real sea change, in some ways bigger than the move to 3d acceleration.

(gently caress sorry I posted too much, I’m killing time at work.)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

They always read like me trying to show my boss that I have actually done something this week.

Oh my god now I'm totally on their side again

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Coffee Jones posted:

Anyway “DoomWorld” / Doom 3 COULD have happened in late 1994, but as things shook out, it might have been too ahead of its time.
It's crazy to me that DOS Quake was released in June/July 1996 and within less than a year they had WinQuake, GLQuake, and (GL)QuakeWorld all out. I suppose WinQuake was a straightforward port, but I think it's illustrative exactly how transitional everything PC was between early 1995 and late 1997.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

with Deadlink i found myself actually liking it more the more i played it. I bounced off it a bit initially, but after coming back to it and sinking some more time into it i really like it. it rewards mastering the systems by making you feel like a real loving ninja when you do it, its one of the few actually pulse-raising fps games ive played in a long time.

my favourite guy is probably the switch teleport guy because I love figuring out how to get up as high as possible so I can swap with a sumo or something and kill em with fall damage. it always feels good.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Same, bought it on Steam a long time ago and decided to just wait until full release. Funny, because I was just asking about the slow pace of development not too long ago...

E: laughing at this comment under the announcement on Steam though:

They're forgetting about the Balkan war but I appreciate the sentiment.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What I wanna know is where the gently caress is Phantom Fury. Gimme SOMETHING. There's been some mild devblog updates but I want more screenshots and videos and also for it to come out tomorrow.

When I read this I thought, "The Cyberpunk 2077 expansion?" That's Phantom Liberty, however.

I'm more curious about that cancelled Shadow Warrior expansion (Deadly Kiss) that was dug up and being worked on. Did that project fall apart, or is just in limbo?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

juggalo baby coffin posted:

with Deadlink i found myself actually liking it more the more i played it. I bounced off it a bit initially, but after coming back to it and sinking some more time into it i really like it. it rewards mastering the systems by making you feel like a real loving ninja when you do it, its one of the few actually pulse-raising fps games ive played in a long time.

my favourite guy is probably the switch teleport guy because I love figuring out how to get up as high as possible so I can swap with a sumo or something and kill em with fall damage. it always feels good.

vanilla or tora? Have you played both and are they the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

I think Wraith and Ion Fury are all developed externally while all their other games are primarily internal development. They have this gimmick where they have a AAA-size studio of like 200 people that they split off into indie sized teams to do whatever? Which probably worked great when Embracer wasn't having an existential crisis, but sure...

My understanding is that Wrath has dealt with a lot of core devs who know Quake/DarkPlaces leaving the project for one reason or another, with the resulting braindrain causing a lot of problems. Harsh, and also realistically why a lot of studios just use Unity or Unreal nowadays - more people know it so it's easier to fill staffing holes.

ToxicFrog posted:

I wouldn't say that EDuke32 improves on the shitshow as much as it builds (heh) on it in the same style. It was very funny to see Graf try to integrate that code into the GZDoom backend for Raze and react to some parts of the code like he'd just been jabbed with a used syringe.