Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wanna see if I can achieve videogame nirvana by having a character who simply loves all animals. Threadbare plot, zero conventional gameplay mechanics, just different environments full of animals that come to you like Snow White with singing birds perching on your shoulder, playful elephants tussling your hair, and fuzzy beaver to gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

viewing this thread while logged out and grimacing in horror

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

4REAL posted:

in red dead redemption 2 you can praise AND pet dogs, but you can only praise cats, no petting. it's bullshit.

PUSS

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Did this every chance I got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTeKbdShHOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Calico lets you pick up multiple cats while riding a cat

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Tears of the Kingdom

It's common for a video-game character to have a bionic arm that makes them look cool. Venom Snake had one that emitted the sound effect from the Six Million Dollar Man every time he decked a fool, and another that could shoot off his arm and remotely rocket punch dudes in the face.

Link loses his arm in the prologue and it gets replaced with an organic one from a Beerus-looking motherfucker. It's drat gross with its long nails and I hate I have to look at it for the next seventy hours.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Jun 28, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't mind Link's new arm, but the game would definitely be better if I could run around bionic punching dudes in slow motion.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Also if Link's wife was in the arm, and also if it shot a grappling hook

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well that at least would be oldschool Zelda

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Or if Link could pop a sword out of his arm and stab people

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

Also if Link's wife was in the arm, and also if it shot a grappling hook

I also choose this guy's dead wife arm

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

How about a poison blade? A sabirauru if you will

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kazil posted:

uh it's called the sabimaru you baka

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Morpheus posted:

Petting cats should be like russian roulette, sometimes they'll purr and whatnot, sometimes they will kill you dead scratch a bit and take off a little bit of health.
Russian Blue Roulette 2

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

kazil posted:

:hmmyes:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

While the tutorial island of TOTK needs to show off the mechanics like rewinding time, fusing items, and ascendiing into the ceiling; it is excruciatingly long. The arae is three times the size of the great plateau.

I wasted a ton of time trying to get to the fourth goatse shrine because I missed the fact that the starting location has to be fast-traveled to, and can only be fast-traveled to.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Tears of the Kingdom

It's common for a video-game character to have a bionic arm that makes them look cool. Venom Snake had one that emitted the sound effect from the Six Million Dollar Man every time he decked a fool, and another that could shoot off his arm and remotely rocket punch dudes in the face.

Link loses his arm in the prologue and it gets replaced with an organic one from a Beerus-looking motherfucker. It's drat gross with its long nails and I hate I have to look at it for the next seventy hours.

Can't get over the fact that the King of Light is some grody looking goat man, genuinely cannot take it seriously. Gravitas went right out the window with these designs bahahah

For such an important/key tribe, the Zonai look dumb as poo poo. I hate them and think Ganon was onto something when he decided that they deserve to be subjugated

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

While the tutorial island of TOTK needs to show off the mechanics like rewinding time, fusing items, and ascendiing into the ceiling; it is excruciatingly long. The arae is three times the size of the great plateau.

I wasted a ton of time trying to get to the fourth goatse shrine because I missed the fact that the starting location has to be fast-traveled to, and can only be fast-traveled to.

Nah you can get there without fast travel, it is just a tremendous pain in the rear end

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Isn't that where the game unlocks fast travel and straight up tells you to fast travel back to the start? Not that I have any ground to stand on when it comes to ignoring things games specifically tell you :v:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Isn't that where the game unlocks fast travel and straight up tells you to fast travel back to the start? Not that I have any ground to stand on when it comes to ignoring things games specifically tell you :v:

Problem is that very often if you do what the game says when it says, you'll miss the +10 jumbo blade upgrade/special dialogue unlock/the only time ingredient x spawns in the early game that is on the other path that locks off if you follow the directions.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

There's too much going on in Roguebook. You choose 1 hero to lead your party and then another hero to join them and form a party, with cards that depend on whether a hero is in front or back and cards that switch them. Each hero has an innate ability and an entirely unique set of cards to draft. There are treasures (equipment) you can get, about half of which just work for your party and half need to be given to a hero on pickup. At set amounts of cards in your deck you get to choose a perk for either one of your heroes or your party as a whole, the 3 you get to pick from each threshold are randomly generated.

There are 3 chapters per game with each chapter having a hex map covered in fog of war. You get a brush with charges that reveal 2 rows of hexes around you. Pigments that modify how the brush works. Inks that are basically potions that reveal lines of hexes or individual hexes. Pigments drop from elite fights. Brush charges you get a set amount per chapter. Inks drop from normal fights. Oh except if you choose a modifier that switches that but we'll get to that. On the map themselves there are: fights, elite fights, the boss fight, gold, treasures, card vaults you draft cards from (but have to pay for the card you get) pages which serve as the meta-currency, gem mines that cost 2 brushes and put you into a different mini-map with traps and rewards and you have to choose your route through them, towers that reveal hexes around you, farsights that reveal other items of interest and a row around them, gem shrines that give gems, fairies that block your brush and inks forcing you to fight them when you see them but they drop money on taking damage or dying, alchemists that will transform and add a gem to a card, various events like a monster you can hunt or a thief that takes an item but gives it plus another item if you catch them, and the shop.

So, gems. Each card has a slot. Or 2 slots randomly (and of course there are ways to add a slot to a card too) which you can slot gems into. Gems cannot be removed and they modify the card by quite a lot. Things from retain the card, +defence, +damage, and all sorts of weird and wonderful modifiers like "Dissolve, Reap: 25 gold" (Dissolve = card is exiled when played, Reap gives you the thing after the : if you kill an enemy with this card).

Then there are modifiers for your run. It works like heat in Hades. In return for all sorts of modifiers you get extra pages, with bonuses for every time a hero first takes that modifier. Modifiers are things like all towers are replaced by vision faeries (you have to kill them to get the vision) or every time the hero in front plays a card they take 2 damage.

The meta progression does things like automatically transform some defends and strikes into other random cards, give you starting gold/gems/inks, give heroes more life, and place extra stuff on the map.

It's just... it's so much stuff. There's so many modifiers and modifiers of modifiers.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Jun 29, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that sounds great

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I just wanna play a card game. :(

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Phigs posted:

Have you considered solitaire?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'd be incredibly surprised if you stumbled across roguebook before slay the spire, but on the offchance... slay the spire is very good

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah Slay the Spire is much more the form I'd prefer Roguebook take. The main thing I don't like is the map exploration and gemming, they just feel like they distract too much from the core card game. Just a bit too much overhead. Plus there's a lot of animation delays that break up the flow. There's this rhythm you get to in StS of just slinging cards that Roguebook can't compare to. But I have >400 hours in StS and need a break from it but I still want to sling cards.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Phigs posted:

I recommend the Pokemon Trading Card Game, it's pretty cool.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just started Rogue Legacy 2 because it's included in whatever PS Plus package I have. There's definitely some nice improvements I could post in the other thread about games, but MAN, it seems like there are lot more projectiles and flying enemies than the first. Every room (only been in the starting area and the...IDK what it's called, second area that's like the drawbridge?) seems to have those flame mages or shooting eyeballs...or both. And/or those flying hand enemies that have daggers that go straight towards you, or axes that spin towards you. And there are more rooms with unbreakable bouncing metal balls.

I know they've given you more abilities (literally have different weapons for each class, AND each class has a second ability in addition to the spell) AND made it so magic regenerates from killing blows, so I need to learn to use magic/abilities more, I think that might help? But I'm still in Rogue Legacy 1 mode where I had to be a lot more cautious with magic unless I was a magic-class that had the ability to easily get mana back.

Edit: Oh, also, the dash attack loving sucks. Unless it's the "final blow" to kill an enemy, or you get the distance perfectly to they are just barely in your weapon's hit box, but you're not in their hit box, you take contact damage for running into them!
I know I can turn contact damage off, but I'm trying to do the "as intended" way with default settings.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Jun 29, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Thief: The Dark Project was the only game I really enjoyed playing on "hard." It didn't just make you take more damage or whatever; you had to be a better thief. Not get caught, not kill guards, grab more loot, grab specific loot. That's how to make hard mode fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Higher difficulties do still shave down Garrett's HP though. With how little combat you should be doing (outside of certain levels...) it mostly means you're more likely to die if you gently caress up some platforming or to traps, admittedly, but I feel like folks tend to overlook it.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark also come to mind for adding more complexity with each difficulty level. I like the way it adds replay value in those.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Jun 29, 2023

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

There is so much to love about Kingdoms and Castles, but the dragon attacks are so underwhelming. You get a big timer in the corner of the screen counting down to the next attack (usually like 10 in-game years, so an hour or thereabouts) but when it arrives there's no guarantee it'll even visit your specific island and if it does, it'll burn down one or two buildings then leave.

Meanwhile my entire new farming district just spontaneously combusted because I forgot to place a well. 10x as devastating.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Riatsala posted:

There is so much to love about Kingdoms and Castles,

I decided to check it out, only to be confused when steam said I already own it.
Was it some kickstarted game or something? I apparently played it back in 2017.

Anyhow: I ended up grabbing powerwash simulator.
I really loving hate how big objects will happily blink into perfect cleanliness while still dirty, but with smaller objects you sometimes have to pixel-hunt for grime.

And then you have an overview of what's left, but no indicators for what those things are.
On the playground the final thing finally started flashing after I'd taken 2 rounds trying to figure out what object I was missing.

(Really wish grime-o-vision would stick a little longer, and highlight objects if you hold it down.)

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

SubNat posted:

I really loving hate how big objects will happily blink into perfect cleanliness while still dirty, but with smaller objects you sometimes have to pixel-hunt for grime.

And then you have an overview of what's left, but no indicators for what those things are.
On the playground the final thing finally started flashing after I'd taken 2 rounds trying to figure out what object I was missing.

(Really wish grime-o-vision would stick a little longer, and highlight objects if you hold it down.)

IIRC, on the in-game tablet there's a screen that lists all of the objects in the level and how clean they are. I think you also get the option to select an item in the list and have it highlighted in the level. The game never advertises that this feature exists, it's just there when you flip through the screens on the tablet.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So that explains why one object did get highlighted once, thanks!
I kinda assumed it was a hidden 'oh, we'll highlight stuff after a while once we hit the 'final 3 things' counter' thing.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Paper Tiger posted:

IIRC, on the in-game tablet there's a screen that lists all of the objects in the level and how clean they are. I think you also get the option to select an item in the list and have it highlighted in the level. The game never advertises that this feature exists, it's just there when you flip through the screens on the tablet.

Yeah, I definitely wish the game made this part more clear. I discovered it on accident! ("Wait, I can select these? What does that do, I don't- OH!")

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, part of the problem is when it's using jargon, I know nothing about cars or bikes so when it's like "OOh, only the fender to go!" and I'm like "WTF IS A FENDER I'M IN THE UK WE DON'T CALL IT THAT!"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

SubNat posted:

I decided to check it out, only to be confused when steam said I already own it.
Was it some kickstarted game or something? I apparently played it back in 2017.

you'll be wishing you were on the playground when you get to the antique car lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

kazil posted:

you'll be wishing you were on the playground when you get to the antique car lol

Spot all 17 headlights! Some are hidden behind other headlights!