Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yup, literally the least money won in the first five wins by a contestant in the history of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I know there are multiple threads covering the ongoing submersible disaster, but this touches Jeopardy territory:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jeopardy-titanic-submersible-trip-sam-buttrey-022332300.html

Glad he didn't go.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yup, literally the least money won in the first five wins by a contestant in the history of the game.

Well, I guess you need a few jobbers for the ToC.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Side topic: I love reading the comments on YouTube uploads of episodes.
Half of them are variations on "STOP SPOILING THE EPISODE!" with people responding "lol don't read the comments before watching"
It's just a fun, simple back-and-forth verbal boxing match.

I had to unfollow Jeopardy on Facebook because they would have obvious spoilers posted by noon.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

rockinricky posted:

I had to unfollow Jeopardy on Facebook because they would have obvious spoilers posted by noon.

That sucks.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Lots of Americans not knowing much about American history these days.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

rockinricky posted:

Yeah, they stopped doing this (I started following them again since I'm like six months behind and gently caress it, I'm not going to remember a random social media post from today in December) as badly as they used to, when it was like "HERE'S THE ANSWER TO TODAY'S FINAL IN A GIANT IMAGE" posted seven hours before the episode aired in my market, but they still post the video for final every night hours before the game.

Like, come on, it's not that hard to just do it the next day.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Even if somebody was doing it for SEO, Jeopardy is not that big in the grand scheme of things. Isn't 3/4th of North America airing it at the local 7pm hour anyway?
Ken isn't busting out a comedy routine that rivals Kinison, The champ isn't delivering a piledriver on the challengers, and Johnny won't be three sheets to the wind on a clue him reading 90s lyrics. It's TV comfort food, not Eleven Madison Park!

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I acknowledge that it's very easy to criticize from the couch when you're not under the bright lights on stage yourself, but tonight's betting for the last Daily Double and Final Jeopardy--woof.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

MD2020 posted:

I acknowledge that it's very easy to criticize from the couch

fun, too!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

MD2020 posted:

I acknowledge that it's very easy to criticize from the couch when you're not under the bright lights on stage yourself, but tonight's betting for the last Daily Double and Final Jeopardy--woof.

DDs I'm more forgiving, but don't you have as much time as you need for Final?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/27/business/media/ryan-seacrest-wheel-of-fortune.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

You can just do that? Name a new host without a drawn out audition farce?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

They could have just made Mayim the new Wheel host and solved two problems at once.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
remember that Mike Richards is how we got into this mess

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

wa27 posted:

They could have just made Mayim the new Wheel host and solved two problems at once.

That implies Sony/Paramount see her as a problem. It's likely the majority of North Americans don't care. The problem comes once the WGA strike ends & SAG-AFTRA if they strike too.

I figured they would've made Pat's kid the host but I guess either she'll needlessly flip the board switches after Vanna or chuck her after dad. Ryan can do this in his sleep.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Seacrest seems like an odd choice to me. I've got nothing against him but he seems a bit too MTV (or is it VH1?) for the Boomer Wheel demographic.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Apparently the EP of Wheel didn't desperately want to be a game show host.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Seacrest seems like an odd choice to me. I've got nothing against him but he seems a bit too MTV (or is it VH1?) for the Boomer Wheel demographic.

I dunno, seems like most of his career has been doing milquetoast boomer content like NYE specials, Live with Kelly, and Casey Kasem's old radio show, etc.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Yeah, his stint on American Idol alone would ingratiate him with the type of audience enough to set him up for something like Wheel. And that was before he became the next Dick Clark.

He's set for life.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Ghostpilot posted:

Yeah, his stint on American Idol alone would ingratiate him with the type of audience enough to set him up for something like Wheel. And that was before he became the next Dick Clark.

He's set for life.

Dick Clark was doing $10k/$25k/$100k Pyramid while hosting American Bandstand so it tracks too.

Ryan isn't the only new WoF host announced today either. Graham Norton is picked as the UK host

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/graham-norton-host-uk-wheel-of-fortune-1235524512/

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Island Nation posted:

That implies Sony/Paramount see her as a problem. It's likely the majority of North Americans don't care. The problem comes once the WGA strike ends & SAG-AFTRA if they strike too.

I figured they would've made Pat's kid the host but I guess either she'll needlessly flip the board switches after Vanna or chuck her after dad. Ryan can do this in his sleep.

I feel like the Vanna role is probably going to end with Vanna

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why is the industry still trying to shove Ryan Seacrest everywhere they can? Despite having like 100 jobs he's still like the least interesting person imaginable.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Think you answered your own question there

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Island Nation posted:

Dick Clark was doing $10k/$25k/$100k Pyramid while hosting American Bandstand so it tracks too.

Ryan isn't the only new WoF host announced today either. Graham Norton is picked as the UK host

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/graham-norton-host-uk-wheel-of-fortune-1235524512/

Holy poo poo, they got Stephen Fry for their Jeopardy. Shame about the rest of the country.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Zero One posted:

You can just do that? Name a new host without a drawn out audition farce?

https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1673758804461387777

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why is the industry still trying to shove Ryan Seacrest everywhere they can? Despite having like 100 jobs he's still like the least interesting person imaginable.

The host shouldn't be that interesting or much of a focus. The worst is when they aren't interesting but think they are and want the focus, like Steve Harvey.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Vanna will be replaced by a deepfake of herself, duh

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Make Brian Dunkleman spin the letters.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

christmas boots posted:

I feel like the Vanna role is probably going to end with Vanna

They'll just put her back in the closet with Weird Al

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Holy poo poo, they got Stephen Fry for their Jeopardy. Shame about the rest of the country.

He's doing one for Australia as well, Might as well do it now with the Ashes in the country.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Where the hell did 37 come from? Hahahaha.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

WarEternal posted:

Where the hell did 37 come from? Hahahaha.

Clearly thinking about Clerks.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Boy, today might've been the worst Jeopardy round I've seen in ages.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

FrumpleOrz posted:

Can't wait. We've been on a doozy of a bad streak.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

FrumpleOrz posted:

Double wasn't much better, culminating with completely blowing the game with a cowardly wager on the 2nd to last clue.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

I thought to myself that they may as well have just not played the first round. Only $3,200 total left won after a whole round.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
They should fix this problem by letting former contestants back on.

(I haven't actually seen any of these episodes mentioned)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ken’s back monday.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ken’s back monday.

Our long national nightmare is over!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Our long national nightmare is over!

Only for a few weeks. He recorded the final month of episodes over a few days after Mayim stepped back due to the WGA strike. (She's a member, he is not.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Timby posted:

Only for a few weeks. He recorded the final month of episodes over a few days after Mayim stepped back due to the WGA strike. (She's a member, he is not.)

I'll take what I can get.