Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

His sideways nose has always bothered me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

With Stitcher going under, what is everyone else podcast app of choice

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Pocketcasts

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Do people really watch Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune anymore. I feel like the rise of streaming and boomers dying would just completely cut their audience. Like, how many people under 60 even have the ability to watch it?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Air Skwirl posted:

Do people really watch Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune anymore. I feel like the rise of streaming and boomers dying would just completely cut their audience. Like, how many people under 60 even have the ability to watch it?

HD antennas are cheap and you can get a lot of free channels that way. :shrug:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Air Skwirl posted:

I'll watch both if they happen to be on and I'm in front of a tv. The wife and I like watch Wheel when we're making dinner (usually only in the fall/winter).

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Was at a dive bar yesterday that turned off the music and put on jeopardy!. Bartender passed out pens and paper for final jeopardy and if you got it right and he got it wrong you got a free shot (prolly of malort). I got it right, but, alas, he did too. Jeopardy is easily my favorite game show since it’s not like three questions/events strung out over an hour but I was a weird kid who watched the game show network and later was a quiz bowl nerd, so prolly not representative of my 32ish age demographic. And the only time I’ve watched it recently on my own was when I turned on the tv to stream something but it was still on the antenna for an nba playoff game and it was coincidentally on so I said gently caress it I’ll watch jeopardy instead

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Apple Podcasts works fine

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just use Spotify for everything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I like the shows, although I haven't seen either in years, well before Trebeck died. I was just thinking about the fact I haven't had an easy way to watch network television in a long while and the way we consume media in general has shifted so much from when watching those shows was a regular part of my life.

I can understand if she didn't want the job, but I hope they at least offered Vana White host of Wheel of Fortune.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Drew Carey is such a mensch they should've just had him do that job too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I still think they should have given Ken Jennings the job with a strict non-compete for Jeopardy only.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

As a disclaimer my Pocketcasts loyalty goes back to 2011 when podcasts were the loving wild west and it was well worth the $2.99 to have a one-stop shop. There are probably a lot of equally good ways to listen to them now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kalli posted:

Drew Carey is such a mensch they should've just had him do that job too.

They probably weren't offering enough money, I think that's why he left Who's Line.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Air Skwirl posted:

My wife and I watch Jeopardy pretty much every day if I get off work in time. We don’t stick around for the wheel though.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

overcast

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

swickles posted:

I still think they should have given Ken Jennings the job with a strict non-compete for Jeopardy only.

Yeah even though Mayim Bialik does fine there's something about Ken Jennings where you'd just know he knows most of the answers and it is intimidating. Trebek was intimidating too it's part of the put up or shut up charm of the show.

People getting the answers wrong now doesn't quite have the shame factor of Trebek just going "No."

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
wheel of fortune was a great watch -- pat sayjack seemed to loathe everyone involved and did not hide it for the past decade or so.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I want this show, although sadly it's host also passed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGrQoe8BylE

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

They probably weren't offering enough money, I think that's why he left Who's Line.

Who's Line is/was notoriously cheap and paid even the regulars next to nothing to be on the show. Drew was probably making whatever the minimum union salary was plus a small bit so they could say it wasn't minimum.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Seacrest got his start on the Merv Griffin game show circuit, so I guess it makes sense his tenth gig for life is in that ecosystem.

https://twitter.com/WheelRob10/status/1673750922177007617

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wish Colin Mocherie was in more stuff

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I watched Jeopardy pretty regularly in 2020 and 21 when I was home to watch it, but I don't really have any desire to watch it since Trebek passed. It's on at 3 PM here, so I'm only going to catch it if I WFH. Some of the older episodes were on Hulu or Netflix for a while, and that was great. My wife and I watched those every night until we got through them all.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Pops Mgee posted:

My wife and I watch Jeopardy pretty much every day if I get off work in time. We don’t stick around for the wheel though.

I’m not sure how old you are but I think a healthy chunk of elder millennials grew up watching it with parents and grandparents and it has enough carry that we will watch Jeopardy when it’s on.

Wheel kinda sucks though because the game itself is dumb and Sajak is a festering cheesedick, but I watch that garbage sometimes too. Reminds me of sitting with my grandpa when I was a kiddo. :3:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I watched Jeopardy pretty regularly in 2020 and 21 when I was home to watch it, but I don't really have any desire to watch it since Trebek passed. It's on at 3 PM here, so I'm only going to catch it if I WFH. Some of the older episodes were on Hulu or Netflix for a while, and that was great. My wife and I watched those every night until we got through them all.

What you should have done is watch them without your wife and then know all the answers. The trick is to get some wrong on purpose so you're batting like .700-.900 instead of a thousand so they don't suspect anything and just think you're brilliant.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The impact of this ruling can't be overstated. Thank God.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1673698948798660609?t=VijAo9Bm3yxXn5wdDImpSw&s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

I’m not sure how old you are but I think a healthy chunk of elder millennials grew up watching it with parents and grandparents and it has enough carry that we will watch Jeopardy when it’s on.

Wheel kinda sucks though because the game itself is dumb and Sajak is a festering cheesedick, but I watch that garbage sometimes too. Reminds me of sitting with my grandpa when I was a kiddo. :3:

Let's talk Family Feud for something where the host and format and really everything kinda sucks but I'll sit and watch it if I come across it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The SC at least understands that this can cut both ways.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

3 DONG HORSE posted:

AutoCAD drools, Microstation rules

Solidworks still the best. I managed to keep a pirated copy I got while working in Toronto and use it to design all the woodworking projects I set out to do.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Air Skwirl posted:

What you should have done is watch them without your wife and then know all the answers. The trick is to get some wrong on purpose so you're batting like .700-.900 instead of a thousand so they don't suspect anything and just think you're brilliant.

Ned? Ned Ryerson???

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Always weird when my two interests intersect like this

https://twitter.com/NFL_Journal/status/1673772467632975875

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Seconding Pocket Casts

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Its crazy to me how irrational people get in real estate. People here about markets where people are giving cash and waiving inspections and think their house also qualifies. The first house we looked at and put an offer on was a flip (which was fine). The bank appraised in 30 grand less than his asking price. He had multiple offers pulled because of that. We put in an offer on the house with the contingency that any difference between the offer and appraised value would be split between buyer and seller (i.e. if it was still 30k less, we each go out of pocket 15k to make it happen). They balked at our offer and we moved on. This recent house we put in an offer, it was accepted and we saw it got it inspected etc. It desperately needs a new roof and furnace. The venting on the furnace has been under government recall since 1998. There are also some other things that need repaired/replaced too (2 windows, facia on one side of house, etc) We asked for a 25k credit (12k roof, 8k furnace and venting, 5k miscellanea). Based on all the estimates, we could have asked for 30k easy. They countered this morning with 5k saying the roof was fine and the (35 year old!) furnace had a few more years in it. We have been going back and forth all day but its crazy its really coming to this. We are only 5k apart right now, but that last bit is starting to become my last loving stand. The house was on for 100 days and we were his first offer, and only the neighbors had even been in to see it as a showing. So if we walk, this guy is going to have to relist his already vacant house and start all over again. And now there is a home inspection report dictating all this stuff, so if a potential buyer sees it its will come off the asking price instead of a credit, so dude gets even less money. The cherry on top of all this is that our initial offer was 100k more than he paid for it 2 years ago. Dude is still going to make a killing.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

swickles posted:

Its crazy to me how irrational people get in real estate. People here about markets where people are giving cash and waiving inspections and think their house also qualifies. The first house we looked at and put an offer on was a flip (which was fine). The bank appraised in 30 grand less than his asking price. He had multiple offers pulled because of that. We put in an offer on the house with the contingency that any difference between the offer and appraised value would be split between buyer and seller (i.e. if it was still 30k less, we each go out of pocket 15k to make it happen). They balked at our offer and we moved on. This recent house we put in an offer, it was accepted and we saw it got it inspected etc. It desperately needs a new roof and furnace. The venting on the furnace has been under government recall since 1998. There are also some other things that need repaired/replaced too (2 windows, facia on one side of house, etc) We asked for a 25k credit (12k roof, 8k furnace and venting, 5k miscellanea). Based on all the estimates, we could have asked for 30k easy. They countered this morning with 5k saying the roof was fine and the (35 year old!) furnace had a few more years in it. We have been going back and forth all day but its crazy its really coming to this. We are only 5k apart right now, but that last bit is starting to become my last loving stand. The house was on for 100 days and we were his first offer, and only the neighbors had even been in to see it as a showing. So if we walk, this guy is going to have to relist his already vacant house and start all over again. And now there is a home inspection report dictating all this stuff, so if a potential buyer sees it its will come off the asking price instead of a credit, so dude gets even less money. The cherry on top of all this is that our initial offer was 100k more than he paid for it 2 years ago. Dude is still going to make a killing.

I agree with you on the second house, hold out and make the guy give up another $5k. If he has any sense at all, or an even decent realtor, they'll come down on the cost. He stands to lose way more money by going back on the market.

Did that first house end up selling yet? They may be getting desperate if it's still sitting on the market. You can always go back with another offer.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Good to hear that the housing market has cooled in some places to the point where you can actually ask the seller for things

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

Ned? Ned Ryerson???

What are the finger lakes?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is weird because I had a friend trying to buy a house a decade ago and had saved up 40K for a down payment (so 400K loan) and multiple times put down offers for asking and got cut out because others were offering asking price or over for just cash on the table. I wonder if your home seller was being told about those times by their realtor. My friend ended up in a nice apartment with really cool furniture because he had 40k in savings.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

I agree with you on the second house, hold out and make the guy give up another $5k. If he has any sense at all, or an even decent realtor, they'll come down on the cost. He stands to lose way more money by going back on the market.

Did that first house end up selling yet? They may be getting desperate if it's still sitting on the market. You can always go back with another offer.

That is actually our backup plan. If this falls through, we will offer again. The property should appraise a bit higher this time too, so as long as we aren't going out of pocket a lot, we are actually fine with the price.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's Tuesday and I already feel :smithicide:

Then I was reminded the importance of today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHASAOqr1So

Gonna watch this tonight when I get home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

This is weird because I had a friend trying to buy a house a decade ago and had saved up 40K for a down payment (so 400K loan) and multiple times put down offers for asking and got cut out because others were offering asking price or over for just cash on the table. I wonder if your home seller was being told about those times by their realtor. My friend ended up in a nice apartment with really cool furniture because he had 40k in savings.

Its like that in a lot of places still. My friend just bought a house in LA and every house they put an offer on they were outbid by 50k minimum, cash. Miami is crazy too and one of the reasons we are leaving Florida for the time being. Even if he was being told that by the realtor, 3 months on the market with no offers, or offers that were pulled after appraisal, should tell you something. And its not like keeping it on the market is free, still have to pay taxes, upkeep, and soon heating.