Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm 1548 if someone took the piss out of what you were wearing you could do a duel and stab them to bits. Not allowed now health and safety, so we're all cowards dressed in grey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

What's worse is that since then we've dropped the vest, the coat, the hat, and none of it fits because nobody can afford a tailor. .

I get the general point, but the row of shops next to me has an upstairs shop with old ladies that will do measuring and alterations for like...a fiver a go? It's not Savile Row but they can certainly upgrade a shirt for you

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Failed Imagineer posted:

I get the general point, but the row of shops next to me has an upstairs shop with old ladies that will do measuring and alterations for like...a fiver a go? It's not Savile Row but they can certainly upgrade a shirt for you

Yeah, and people just working out of their homes. You can spent 20 quid on a shirt, another tenner to get it altered to fit you perfectly, and it'll look better than something off the hanger that costs £150.

The very last suit my parents bought me (and predecessor to my current one, since they're just for weddings and funerals in my case) was taken out and taken in several times throughout my phases of smaller and bigger.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Just get a suit made out of track suits and you don't need to bother messing with it

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

A fun story about alterations:

I got married in October last year. Since it was a big deal, and since I'd get use out of it afterwards, I got measured and had a suit made for me by Suitsupply. The waistcoat didn't fit at all since their QA is poo poo, so I went to get that and a new shirt altered by someone I'd just found on google maps nearby, working from their house.

She did a wonderful job and it was £15 for both things. I said that she could charge more because it looks great and she fit me in at short notice. She said that whilst she knows she could, she doesn't want to have to pay more tax because she doesn't want her money going to people on benefits.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

women's clothing is much loving better in almost every way but the sizing is a complete loving mystery to me

It's a complete mystery to many women too. And the sizes vary not just from shop to shop but within the same line. Eg bought some jeans a particular size and they were a great fit
Went back and bought an identical pair (style, brand, size label inside them) didn't try on as identical to other pair, didn't fit at all. Measured them and 2 inches smaller than first pair (2" is one size ie 3 size numbers eg 14 is one size smaller than size 16)

And size 12 these days is as big as size 16 was when I were a lass.
You have to try things on size number is completely useless other than as a vague guide.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

If people would be interested I can snap a few pics of the secret back areas whenever I’m in a big charity shop. I know one that’s got loads of stuffed animals they aren’t allowed to sell, another with a big case full of uranium glass, and I was in one recently when someone donated a vase valued at £15,000. Last year I was just stood about so helped a guy unload a sideboard thing after a house clearance and when the shop staff opened it up there was about 400 shotgun shells inside. I always ask clients if we can meet in a shop; more interesting than charity head offices and for some reason I always feel like an interloping charlatan whenever they ask to meet at a hospice.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I got a silver certificate in one of their maths challenges when I were lad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's a complete mystery to many women too. And the sizes vary not just from shop to shop but within the same line.
Men inventing Page 3: I need to know the exact bust/waist/hips, height, and cup size, this is vital for the viewer experience.

Men inventing women's clothing sizes:

Sanford posted:

I know one that’s got loads of stuffed animals they aren’t allowed to sell
There's a pub in Essex that'll have those.

Sanford posted:

another with a big case full of uranium glass
Actual Fiestaware type stuff? That's cool, they're getting hard to find.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I used to work in a charity shop but the "secret back space" was basically a cupboard big enough for two people to stand in very cosily, so we didn't have any secret hoards.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Miftan posted:

I play the female option in video games 90% of the time because they always have the much better wardrobe options (just like real life), and playing dress up is the secret endgame of every video game that has a wardrobe option.

I play the female option in video games as i don't want to stare a man's backside all day. :colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

I play the female option in video games as i don't want to stare a man's backside all day. :colbert:

Heard that one a lot from guys who played girls in Elite: Dangerous.

Elite: Dangerous is a first-person game in which you're glued into the biggest, most rear end-encompassing armchair you've ever seen in your life

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

I will, I think, always remember the guest lecture I had at uni by Richard Bartle who was very involved in the development of early text based video games and multi user dungeons, which are basically text based MMOs.

He said that this is a very common rationale given for why men play women but that the proportions of people playing cross-gender have not really changed since before there was anything to look at, arse or no :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I play men in video games because I'm usually looking at the rest of the video game

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I worked in a charity shop and the secret back space was just piles and piles of Dan Brown novels.

I also play female characters in video games because men are simply awful.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

What's wrong with playing the other gender in video games, are people worried it will secretly make them trans or something?

One of the best games I've played in recent years, Horizon: Zero Dawn, has you playing a teen girl whether you want to or not.

It also has some mild sexual harassment from otherwise likable character which kind of made me reflect "oh hey this really sucks for women" in a way that never quite hit for me as much before.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

What's wrong with playing the other gender in video games, are people worried it will secretly make them trans or something?
Children playing Stray are identifying as cats! :byodood:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m glad men’s fashion is super limited because I cannot be hosed to have to engage with it in any meaningful way and it’s all so uncomfortable. I will genuinely never understand people who enjoy wearing suits or even just button up shirts.

I buy the cheapest pair of black trousers and a white shirt from Asda the once in a blue moon I have to “dress up” and then immediately cram it in the back of a wardrobe or drawer somewhere never to be thought of again.

If it’s not an occasion I can just wear shorts and a t-shirt it can gently caress off for the most part, tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Horizon is funny in that almost all the characters are exceedingly likeable in their way and yet you can't shag any of them. Which is funny in contrast with games where shagging people is part of the selling point :v:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

I worked in a charity shop and the secret back space was just piles and piles of Dan Brown novels.
Times have changed. Its Richard Osman books now.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

OwlFancier posted:

I used to work in a charity shop but the "secret back space" was basically a cupboard big enough for two people to stand in very cosily, so we didn't have any secret hoards.

I get to go to storage places and donation sorting centres without a storefront, that kind of thing. Very exciting, within a very narrow range of what counts as exciting.

This is compulsory, as is the giant Christmas-themed fire hazard that all charity shops develop over time.

Guavanaut posted:

Men inventing Page 3: I need to know the exact bust/waist/hips, height, and cup size, this is vital for the viewer experience.

Men inventing women's clothing sizes:

Actual Fiestaware type stuff? That's cool, they're getting hard to find.

I do not know. It’s in an old, locked cabinet in the back of the warehouse and they’ve got a little torch to shine on it to make it glow. Probably two dozen bits, and then some rocks that glow under the black light too. I should also point out I make d&d dice as a hobby so your picture is adding to the vague sense of disquiet this thread is giving me today.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Private Speech posted:

One of the best games I've played in recent years, Horizon: Zero Dawn, has you playing a teen girl whether you want to or not.

Loved that game.
Did you know they complained about her having a normal peach face fuzz in that game or the sequel.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My favourite bit of Horizon is that Ted Faro is clearly Elon Musk with a bit of Zuckerberg thrown in.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Dabir posted:

I got a silver certificate in one of their maths challenges when I were lad

I got a gold :smug:

It was a complete fluke, I was poo poo at maths and still am. I must have guessed enough answers correctly or something

Also the correct choice is to play MGS which has the best man rear end of all game series

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
hrrrnngh, colonel,

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Guavanaut posted:

Not anymore, there isn't :smug:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

mrpwase posted:

I got a gold :smug:

It was a complete fluke, I was poo poo at maths and still am. I must have guessed enough answers correctly or something

Also the correct choice is to play MGS which has the best man rear end of all game series

If you did well enough at the one that the whole class got to do, there was actually second invitational test you got invited to sit. I got to do it but almost missed out when my maths teacher failed to add up my marks correctly; thankfully she put the tally of correct questions where I could see them and I quickly pointed out she’d miscounted. The second test was hard as balls.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's a complete mystery to many women too. And the sizes vary not just from shop to shop but within the same line. Eg bought some jeans a particular size and they were a great fit
Went back and bought an identical pair (style, brand, size label inside them) didn't try on as identical to other pair, didn't fit at all. Measured them and 2 inches smaller than first pair (2" is one size ie 3 size numbers eg 14 is one size smaller than size 16)

And size 12 these days is as big as size 16 was when I were a lass.
You have to try things on size number is completely useless other than as a vague guide.

Whenever my wife gets upset that she's "a size 16 today" or whatever, I have to remind her of this. And of the time I had to wear morning dress as an usher for a wedding, and we had to submit like 8 measurements to the hire place to get everything to fit right (which it did first time, thanks to her theatre measuring skills). So buying clothes based on 1 number is just silly.

Hell, even my jeans have 3 parameters - waist, length and "random Levi's number to see if it fits my thighs"

Universal Basic Tailoring for all!

I also play female characters in video games because men are simply awful.

I play Waluigi in all the games I play, except in Hitman where you can't play as Waluigi :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely somebody has made a mod to let you dress like waluigi.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

team overhead smash posted:

If you did well enough at the one that the whole class got to do, there was actually second invitational test you got invited to sit. I got to do it but almost missed out when my maths teacher failed to add up my marks correctly; thankfully she put the tally of correct questions where I could see them and I quickly pointed out she’d miscounted. The second test was hard as balls.

Being a teacher sounds like a relentless ballache

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
When I worked in a charity shop the secret back room was where the kettle was and the secret upstairs room was where they kept the donated clothes too gross to sell.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

When I worked in a charity shop the secret back room was where the kettle was and the secret upstairs room was where they kept the donated clothes too gross to sell.

...why did they keep them :ohdear:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I assume the most senior staff had a cleansing ritual involving a bonfire every now and then, or possibly just hazardous waste pickup wasn't very frequent.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like a lot of the difference between men and women must be marketing, there's an entire loving industry flogging new clothes to women and encouraging people to change them when they don't really need to. But men's fashion is kind of dire anyway so even if we did get the same volume of marketing what are they even going to sell you? How many t shirts, shirts, and trousers can one person own?

The answer to "how many t-shirts can one person own?" is "how many gigs have you been to lately?" I have a friend who must have a room in his house for his band shirts, he seems to have so many.

I think it might be my gooniest opinion but I just don't want to wear much more than jeans & a hoodie. Or if I'm feeling especially lazy, joggers, because for comfort they cannot be beaten. Not that jeans are uncomfortable, but...

Mind you, if I ever came into money I'd probably buy a properly tailored suit. But off-the-rack stuff just looks poo poo & that's all I'm affording so I'd rather look like poo poo & be comfortable in my hoodie.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Being a teacher sounds like a relentless ballache

Sometimes I'm observing a child in class and barely notice the teacher because they're doing a very good job.
And sometimes I'm observing a child in class and the only thing I can notice is how bad the teacher is. Usually supply teachers. No surprise they can't get a steady job when they can't add, multiply or sometimes even read.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

The answer to "how many t-shirts can one person own?" is "how many gigs have you been to lately?" I have a friend who must have a room in his house for his band shirts, he seems to have so many.

This. We still have a REM tshirt from 95, a Prodigy tshirt from 97, a Placebo one from 98 that we still wear.
Its hit or miss with concert tshirts, some dont last a year.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
I want to visit see the secret charity shop cave of wonders.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure it's good that we have all the modern clothing styles that are practical and look passable.

Mostly I'm just grumpy that there's so little else available. And plus some of those older clothing items are super enjoyable to wear too. Cloaks are genuinely really pleasing to wear and good outdoor gear to boot. They ventilate very well so you can have a quite heavy one that keeps the sun off but you're still ventilating effectively, and the same one is decent in wet weather and in the cold.

People made good and comfortable clothes in the past too.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Yeah cloaks are loving awesome, especially with a hood. I’ve not had the gall to wear one since I was a teen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like a lot of the difference between men and women must be marketing, there's an entire loving industry flogging new clothes to women and encouraging people to change them when they don't really need to. But men's fashion is kind of dire anyway so even if we did get the same volume of marketing what are they even going to sell you? How many t shirts, shirts, and trousers can one person own?

These things are related, though. People notice more if women don't change their outfits much, and there is definite pressure to wear lots of different things.