Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He pumped up SHIELD, initiated the Helicarrier and project Insight programs, started a new group to assess alien threats, and created the "Iron Patriot" program.

It's never explicitly said what party Ellis belonged to. It seems to imply that he is a Democrat who beat Obama in a primary because he is elected in 2012 and succeeded by Donald Trump in 2016.

The current President is someone named President Ritson. It's not really clear what happened in U.S. politics during the snap and the 5-year timejump in the MCU.

Now I really want to know more about the MCU 2016 election. Ellis must've had primary challengers. There's no way Clinton didn't have a go, unless the situation for the Dems was so dire she knew none of them would have a chance after the Democrat president built flying aircraft carriers for nazis that exploded over Washington DC.

Which makes Trump's success interesting. I wonder if that context changed the policies he ran on. Finding out that the government had been infiltrated by HYDRA would certainly give an outsider candidate some more appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gripweed posted:

Now I really want to know more about the MCU 2016 election. Ellis must've had primary challengers. There's no way Clinton didn't have a go, unless the situation for the Dems was so dire she knew none of them would have a chance after the Democrat president built flying aircraft carriers for nazis that exploded over Washington DC.

Which makes Trump's success interesting. I wonder if that context changed the policies he ran on. Finding out that the government had been infiltrated by HYDRA would certainly give an outsider candidate some more appeal.

Personally I'm about 90% sure we're living in a simulation and our 2016 and later reality is actually the comic book, the real version is much more boring and far less terrifying

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

...you're saying that a six-episode series would blow through its biggest plot twists and reveals in its first episode? I'm not saying I'm expecting anything that would have that huge an impact on the broader MCU, but come on now.

I'm saying a premiere needs a hook, and this had absolutely nothing.

The skrulls are all nobodies. Give us one established minor character who has been a skrull for a while. Hint at something beyond just a terror cell. I know what the plot is supposed to be, 99% of their audience doesn't.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 23, 2023

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

I'm saying a premiere needs a hook, and this had absolutely nothing.

that's a perfectly fair criticism, I just don't see how it logically follows from that that there won't be bigger reveals about the Skrulls in the remaining five episodes (which is not to say that any such reveals will make the series significantly better or worth sticking around for, to be clear)

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

live with fruit posted:

But now Fury will take the Skrull terrorists he came down from space to investigate and was pursuing when Hill died in the line of duty seriously.

He was doubting himself and his ability to take on the threat. It was the motivation he needed to shut out any self doubt and press forward. It’s a fridging, she was narratively killed to motivate him.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It was a gently caress up. He was already motivated, people die in this genre. Just because someone will react to something doesn’t mean it’s a fridging.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Klungar posted:

It’s on Disney+ in the US, at least.

Blah, you are correct. Stupid streaming services.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You think Trump got snapped?

And when he blipped back he was sitting in the toilet eating a burger?

I liked SI enough, but I agree that there is no specific stakes setup.

I can't see Coleman without thinking about her in Hot Fuzz.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

You think Trump got snapped?

And when he blipped back he was sitting in the toilet eating a burger?

"Many people have said that I was blipped, but I wasn't. It's fake news. Crazy Thanos is a Democrat hoax"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok, I watched episode one and I don't know what people are talking about. I thought it was exciting, and did a good job of establishing everything and setting the stakes

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My biggest issue with Secret Invasion is that it's not weird enough. The coolest thing about the comics was Super Skrulls with RNG based power combinations, like Combo-Man reborn, and "whoa they were Skrulls all along" moments

But the TV show seems kinda like a fairly bog standard espionage thriller, just with aliens

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

OnimaruXLR posted:

My biggest issue with Secret Invasion is that it's not weird enough. The coolest thing about the comics was Super Skrulls with RNG based power combinations, like Combo-Man reborn, and "whoa they were Skrulls all along" moments

But the TV show seems kinda like a fairly bog standard espionage thriller, just with aliens

There was also the storyline in Hercules where the gods of Earth worked together for once and sent a team to attack and kill the Skrull gods.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It may also be harder to introduce the idea of diverse super Skrulls before they’ve ever shown the Super Skrull

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I can’t believe they didn’t do all the stuff I wanted to see in the first episode. I’m apoplectic with rage and I am done with the MCU.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Joe Fisto posted:

I can’t believe they didn’t do all the stuff I wanted to see in the first episode. I’m apoplectic with rage and I am done with the MCU.

I haven't seen all of the MCU shows, but none of the ones I watched got better over the course of their run. Wandavision got worse, but all the others just kinda kept to an even keel based off the quality of the first episode.

EDIT: this is all academic because no one will know if Secret Invasion gets any better

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1673768511447900175?s=20

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 27, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

I haven't seen all of the MCU shows, but none of the ones I watched got better over the course of their run. Wandavision got worse, but all the others just kinda kept to an even keel based off the quality of the first episode.

I thought Hawkeye started pretty good and got better, same with Loki. I agree with you on Wandavision though. Falcon and Winter Soldier was just okay the whole way through, I think having Falcon not wanting the shield and title Captain America was a mistake. When Steve gave him the shield in the comics it was an instant "I need to live up to the example of this guy."

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Gripweed posted:

EDIT: this is all academic because no one will know if Secret Invasion gets any better

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1673768511447900175?s=20

Oh people will know. It seems people can’t stop themselves from watching things they don’t enjoy just so they can complain about it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hawkeye got better when her girlfriend showed up and obviously she hulk hit top form in the finale

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I feel the quality of Ms. Marvel dropped precipitously as it went. It started out in the first two eps as maybe the best MCU show but was sub-CW Arrowverse in quality by the end in my estimation.

Anyway, hope Secret Invasion can turn it around and build a larger audience by turning in some great and thrilling episodes. Get some word of mouth going like Andor.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Joe Fisto posted:

Oh people will know. It seems people can’t stop themselves from watching things they don’t enjoy just so they can complain about it.

Didn't know 1 million haters watched the show

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Joe Fisto posted:

You can’t really be all “if you hate it so much why are you watching it?” about MCU stuff. A major part of the whole MCU concept is that every movie and Tv show is part of an ongoing story and things introduced in one part will show up in other stuff later. You’re supposed to watch it all.

Like how a lot of people who watched Hawkeye didn’t care about Hawkeye but knew it was setting up stuff that would be important in Echo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol what

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Really want to meet the huge number of people watching Hawkeye for Echo

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Gripweed posted:

You can’t really be all “if you hate it so much why are you watching it?” about MCU stuff. A major part of the whole MCU concept is that every movie and Tv show is part of an ongoing story and things introduced in one part will show up in other stuff later. You’re supposed to watch it all.

Like how a lot of people who watched Hawkeye didn’t care about Hawkeye but knew it was setting up stuff that would be important in Echo.

No one is forcing people to watch. I just see so much bitching and whining (mostly elsewhere) about the stuff, and people could just not watch it. Want to know what happened? Read a summary before the next movie. Life is too short to spend time consuming media that’s not enjoyable. That’s why I stopped watching Snyder movies. Wasn’t enjoying them and I valued my time over knowing what Cyborg was up to.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's absolutely possible to just not watch things you don't care for. I'm a weirdo in that I'm not a big fan of the Guardians movies. I've not seen the Christmas special or the third one. I saw the second one once in the theater and never rewatched it. You don't have to watch things you don't care for. It's pretty easy in fact!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope the reason we haven't gotten more Yelena yet is Pugh was too busy filming Dune part 2.

Man now I'm sad that she could have been in secret Invasion.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AngryBooch posted:

I feel the quality of Ms. Marvel dropped precipitously as it went. It started out in the first two eps as maybe the best MCU show but was sub-CW Arrowverse in quality by the end in my estimation.

Anyway, hope Secret Invasion can turn it around and build a larger audience by turning in some great and thrilling episodes. Get some word of mouth going like Andor.

Ms Marvel is great in kinda the same way the Watchmen TV show was great in that a poo poo ton of people who had no idea about a historical atrocity were suddenly made aware of it (The India/Pakistan partition and the Tulsa Massacre respectively).

It's sad how much we need to have superheroes to learn about history.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Endless Mike posted:

Really want to meet the huge number of people watching Hawkeye for Echo

Hawkeye would have absolutely failed without the 7 Echo fans watching

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

X-O posted:

It's absolutely possible to just not watch things you don't care for. I'm a weirdo in that I'm not a big fan of the Guardians movies. I've not seen the Christmas special or the third one. I saw the second one once in the theater and never rewatched it. You don't have to watch things you don't care for. It's pretty easy in fact!

But how will you understand what’s going on if you haven’t seen every second of content?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Joe Fisto posted:

But how will you understand what’s going on if you haven’t seen every second of content?

And I'm probably one of the only big Adam Warlock fans as well but I still skipped it. I'll continue to live and breath. For a while at least.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

X-O posted:

And I'm probably one of the only big Adam Warlock fans as well but I still skipped it. I'll continue to live and breath. For a while at least.

He is very much tacked onto the movie so definitely not worth watching just for him.

I personally loved Guardians 3 and I'm not gonna lie I cried like a little baby throughout it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What the hell, why is everyone here so down on Echo?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Joe Fisto posted:

Generally speaking, it behooves you to put some of the good stuff in early on, even just a hint, to entice folks to keep watching

Instead this felt like 24 with aliens, except even slower paced. I'm willing to give it another shot, but poo poo better start getting weird soon!

Although there is also the inverse of this phenomenon, where a show will blow it's load by having a super kickass first episode, then slow down precipitously, with the hope that things will pop off again being the main motivation to keep watching

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would say there's a difference between being down on echo and being a little skeptical of the idea that a lot of people were watching Hawkeye to be prepared for the echo show

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gripweed posted:

What the hell, why is everyone here so down on Echo?

I think people were mostly making fun of the idea that tons of people were only tuning in to Hawkeye (which has many famous cast members, is about a character from the Avengers, and featured the return on Vincent D'onofrio as The Kingpin) to keep up with what Echo was doing (played by by an unknown actor and a character that the average person has never heard of).

Nobody really knows anything about how Echo will be, but she was definitely not more famous/drawing more people than Hawkeye/Kingpin/Black Widow.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

site posted:

I would say there's a difference between being down on echo and being a little skeptical of the idea that a lot of people were watching Hawkeye to be prepared for the echo show

It’s all bad anti-Echo vibes as far as I’m concerned.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

No one is forcing people to watch. I just see so much bitching and whining (mostly elsewhere) about the stuff, and people could just not watch it. Want to know what happened? Read a summary before the next movie. Life is too short to spend time consuming media that’s not enjoyable. That’s why I stopped watching Snyder movies. Wasn’t enjoying them and I valued my time over knowing what Cyborg was up to.

People can be excited or interested in a show, watch the show, not like the show, then talk about the show and why they don't like it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

I'm guessing you wouldn't have liked this Adam warlock.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

People can be excited or interested in a show, watch the show, not like the show, then talk about the show and why they don't like it.

First episode sure. It’s when people continue to watch that’s ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

First episode sure. It’s when people continue to watch that’s ridiculous.

1 episode has aired and you have been yelling about people who do not exist yet in bss.