Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What's important is that everyone needs to suffer a little more, and Ukrainians need to die a lot more, but it's all going to be worth it in the end.

Trust the experts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

supersnowman posted:

So a quad barrel M777 is not technically impossible? I mean, if it's acceptable to have a complex recoil system...

Always more dakka

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

What's important is that everyone needs to suffer a little more, and Ukrainians need to die a lot more, but it's all going to be worth it in the end.

Trust the experts.

even prigozhin is encouraging the ukranians to keep trying, what a good sport

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zedhe Khoja posted:

so like what the Wagner dude took over an office in Rostov and people thought he was gonna storm Moscow and execute Putin on live TV instead of just being given a 10% larger sack of rubles or whatever?

like they thought the goblin man was gonna be the new Yeltsin?

lol lmao

I'm not so sure Prigozhin knew what he wanted.

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1673352609749426181?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

If I'm reading this thing correctly I think he wants to try the flying column they sent to Moscow, but this time it's coming from Belarus towards Kiev? Ok, man.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, the main solution to dealing with China clearly was to just topple the Russian again, and if that if off the table...thing start looking pretty bleak in terms of hegemony.

I love how goofy and ridiculous the storyline they are making up is though.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The problem with longer, heavier, projectiles in 777 specifically is that the cradle already has serious issues and so increasing recoil force and chamber pressure is not really acceptable, neither is shifting the weight or balance to make up for it. I think I alluded to the problem's Ukraine is going to have with these guns logistically. Changing even one of these out has proven to be a major headache, and several would need to be altered to accommodate bigger shells, since even standard ones at reduced charges are wrecking the cradles and hydraulics.

You would also have to run any modifications though the many, many contractors

Which already had to happen to accommodate Excalibur in the first place

This is not like the old days when the King owned the cannon foundry and could order new guns cast to a certain calibre and old guns rebored. Now, everybody has to get paid.That dramatically complicates changes that a state arsenal could reasonably make 50, 40, probably even 30 years ago.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I hope Pirgozhin starts asking for Western arms to march on Moscow.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm not so sure Prigozhin knew what he wanted.

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1673352609749426181?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

If I'm reading this thing correctly I think he wants to try the flying column they sent to Moscow, but this time it's coming from Belarus towards Kiev? Ok, man.

can putin hurry up and kill this rear end in a top hat

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

at this point, i worry if he asked just right they may actually give him arms :psyduck:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Frosted Flake posted:

The problem with longer, heavier, projectiles in 777 specifically is that the cradle already has serious issues and so increasing recoil force and chamber pressure is not really acceptable, neither is shifting the weight or balance to make up for it. I think I alluded to the problem's Ukraine is going to have with these guns logistically. Changing even one of these out has proven to be a major headache, and several would need to be altered to accommodate bigger shells, since even standard ones at reduced charges are wrecking the cradles and hydraulics.

Which already had to happen to accommodate Excalibur in the first place

This is not like the old days when the King owned the cannon foundry and could order new guns cast to a certain calibre and old guns rebored. Now, everybody has to get paid.That dramatically complicates changes that a state arsenal could reasonably make 50, 40, probably even 30 years ago.

i've seen academic consortiums more rationally organised than this

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

can putin hurry up and kill this rear end in a top hat

I think he's just going to stick around and get a TV show in a few years.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
this war, summarized in one line

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

if wagner goes into ukraine from belarus, is that an act of war on the part of belarus? or is it an out of control mercenary group, as shown from the recent coup attempt, and belarus argues it was not responsible?

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Ardennes posted:

Столтенберг, Байден, сука, where is my ammo?!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

V. Illych L. posted:

i've seen academic consortiums more rationally organised than this

I would expect to see a slide with The Gun 2.0 tbh

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

celadon posted:

if wagner goes into ukraine from belarus, is that an act of war on the part of belarus? or is it an out of control mercenary group, as shown from the recent coup attempt, and belarus argues it was not responsible?

The Russians went from Belarus into Ukraine. I think that train has left the station?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Good luck to him, seriously. JFC.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

genericnick posted:

The Russians went from Belarus into Ukraine. I think that train has left the station?

Everyone likes to pretend that didn't happen.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

celadon posted:

they've been pushing military units into ukraine from belarus since the beginning and it hasn't been a big deal w.r.t. belarus being an active participant in hostilities legally, although its clear that they are practically participating. i figure the rules for attacking them is the same as striking into russian territory, its right there, but they still don't for reasons

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

samogonka posted:

Столтенберг, Байден, сука, where is my ammo?!

lol i want a horde of nafo trolls demanding the orc warband be given more dakka

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Prigozhin is a self-motivated man with determinación. He's going to go far

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Lmao so F-35 style production is not the exception, it's the norm holy poo poo.

Is the Abrams like the only capital intensive bit of kit that is still made the old fashioned way?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Everyone likes to pretend that didn't happen.

Must have been another of Lukashenko's manly phone calls.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Let's face it.

Lukashenko is the main character of this war.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Jun 27, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Yeah, it is question if the Ukrainians would start targeting Belarus this time or not though. If they do Belarus would get directly get involved. I don't think it would change that much directly but honestly I think the Ukrainians are hurting for manpower and equipment as it is and they don't need even more troops pouring into them.

Frosted Flake posted:

Good luck to him, seriously. JFC.

Canada should empty out the last of its warehouses, not a bullet left. Give Pirgozhin and Wagner your F-18s.

Danann posted:

Is the Abrams like the only capital intensive bit of kit that is still made the old fashioned way?

Even the Abrams has had a bunch of random kits and modifications it over years that don't come cheap. Supposedly, there are actually about 1700 of them still in the desert, but they have been slowly been cannibalized/used as replacements over the years.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Jun 27, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

I would expect to see a slide with The Gun 2.0 tbh

Technically that's an ongoing US Army program,

I'm fuzzy on how US procurement works, but I think sustainment requiring major modifications is an ACAT II, so we'd probably brand it M777 2.0 in Canada.

We're wrecking components on 777's because they were designed to be lightweight, but as section 5 indicates, so much has been added to them that they're paradoxically nearly overweight now too. I would not be shocked if a new lightweight howitzer program was authorized, since the trials of titanium /aluminum 777s failed, iirc.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:11 on Jun 27, 2023

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Let's face it.

Lukashenko is the main character of this war.

It's too bad he looks like Fat Hitler

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

supersnowman posted:

So a quad barrel M777 is not technically impossible? I mean, if it's acceptable to have a complex recoil system...

:france:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Повёрнутые на Z войне 🇷🇺 posted:

Stop coming up with new MT-LB, it won't get any better.
(from t.me/voenacher/47453, via tgsa)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Hatebag posted:

It's too bad he looks like Fat Hitler

lukashenko is the best, i treasure his childlike wonder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JNtiO7nhmo

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

paul_soccer12 posted:

if anything it will probably grow larger

some say that they build, for china

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

you may not like it but this is what peak mt-lb looks like

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

The problem with longer, heavier, projectiles in 777 specifically is that the cradle already has serious issues and so increasing recoil force and chamber pressure is not really acceptable

What if instead of replacing the propellant you replace the the explosive with something more powerful but less stable, like CL-20?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

lukashenko is the best, i treasure his childlike wonder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JNtiO7nhmo

Yeah, he's a funny guy

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
he's BIG !

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You can also see how they painted themselves into a corner with the GPS stuff, because the requirement to "counter or mitigate GPS denial" with items such as "anti-jam antennas, sensor fusion schemes to leverage other available sensors, or other technologies" should not be part of a field artillery gun.

Since the electronics on the guns now barely work, and require a lot of power (which is unreliable) addressed in the next item, enhanced batteries, and the weight is already a problem, the fifth item, they turned the original 1970's specification for a lightweight, towed 155mm gun-howitzer into... well it's going to have the power and antennae to burn through jam? Really?

Like, what the gently caress are we doing here people?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

looks like they're getting ready for some airsoft

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

how do you rapidly increase production on something thats constructed in a dozen different places? that seems like a difficult coordination problem

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

trying to outspend the soviet union in an arms race duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

You can also see how they painted themselves into a corner with the GPS stuff, because the requirement to "counter or mitigate GPS denial" with items such as "anti-jam antennas, sensor fusion schemes to leverage other available sensors, or other technologies" should not be part of a field artillery gun.

Since the electronics on the guns now barely work, and require a lot of power (which is unreliable) addressed in the next item, enhanced batteries, and the weight is already a problem, the fifth item, they turned the original 1970's specification for a lightweight, towed 155mm gun-howitzer into... well it's going to have the power and antennae to burn through jam? Really?

Hang on, they use gps for artillery??? Lmao people are going to be blown to bits because it's cloudy or they had to set up near some trees.