Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

disposablewords posted:

Do they even mention Edmund Duke anywhere in the campaign? I cannot remember. I'm just assuming he got offed between games in some book, probably the same one that introduced Warfield.

he died in brood war when Kerrigan betrayed him and fenix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Dang, I guess it's been just way too long since I last even glanced at Brood War. Well, rip in piss to a garbage dude, I guess I'm okay with throwing in Warfield.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Reapers are loving incredible in Outbreak and shred the map to pieces on both defense and offence.

Firebats are pretty much unsalvageable in the base game as the job of killing zerglings just really isn't worth the dedicated unit spot when other units can do it and still do other things. The Moebius Mod actually made them really nasty since they're significantly more durable and have the ability to melt away enemy armor and nullify zerg regeneration. This made them not only genuinely pretty tanky and able to frontline for your army and take some hits, they were basically your best answer to things like Ultralisks by making your units backing them up actually able to kill the Ultras before you got shredded. They were pretty much a few of mainstay of my entire Moebius Nightmare playthrough in any mission that had Zerg.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

quote:

We will not be getting the Devil Dogs.

quote:

The Firebat's here!

He won't be going anywhere else!

Coward.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

poor firebats, confined to a life of being worse at their job than pretty much everything else.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Koorisch posted:

So how *could* you fix the Firebats?

Make them attack in a giant 90 degree angle representing them just waving their arms around unleashing a wave of fire at anything in front?

Make them hellbats, honestly. Hellbats have a much better flame attack that comes out faster, and at +3 with their upgrades they can oneshot even +3 armor fully upgraded lings, allowing like 4 of them to kill an infinite number of zerglings.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 26, 2023

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

>Examine Zerg tank.

We only got 3 zerg research from the last mission, so the game cheats and gives us a small boost so we have something to pick from here.

There is actually a text blurb for <5 zerg research, which you'll never see unless you're deliberately skipping the optional objectives:

quote:

Zerg sample recovered by Raynor's Raiders, 6.10.2504.
Sample appeared dead when brought in, including tissue necrosis. However, tests now reveal frantic cellular activity, and it is moving.

This defies everything I understand about biology. I'm tracking massive generational changes in each cell. In the last hour, this thing has evolved more than humans did in 100,000 years.

If I can harness this, it could lead to huge military innovations for the Raiders.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I understand that it's a gameplay conceit they didn't think too much about, but having an alive Zerg specimen is just asking for trouble no matter the containment measures.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nostalgamus posted:

There is actually a text blurb for <5 zerg research, which you'll never see unless you're deliberately skipping the optional objectives:

Videogame evolution is my favourite kind of evolution, where it's always literally just like levelling up and always makes you stronger or smarter, and can be tracked as linear upgrade over time.

Also I feel like Mengsk actually looks younger than he did back in the earlier games.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

Videogame evolution is my favourite kind of evolution, where it's always literally just like levelling up and always makes you stronger or smarter, and can be tracked as linear upgrade over time.

Ah yes, "Pokemon evolution".

Also, wasn't it implied that Dr. Hanson herself is responsible for Zerg invasion on Agria?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Omobono posted:

I understand that it's a gameplay conceit they didn't think too much about, but having an alive Zerg specimen is just asking for trouble no matter the containment measures.

Yeah, that does seem kind of cavalier? But I'm sure everything will be all right, and that nothing bad will happen with the Zerg specimen later in the story :)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I thought mengsck in the news report was Raynor. Bunch of hairy beefslabs.

I have no idea which poll option is which, how do I vote for the reaper mission?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, that does seem kind of cavalier? But I'm sure everything will be all right, and that nothing bad will happen with the Zerg specimen later in the story :)

I played this game but I forgot most minor details, so I genuinely don't remember if the Zerg specimen causes trouble later.
That was a simple observation based on basically all fiction involving aggressive biological agents ever.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, Stetmann was concerned that the protoss crystal might start eating the ship too. Why not marry safe science if you love it so much

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

ilmucche posted:

I thought mengsck in the news report was Raynor. Bunch of hairy beefslabs.

I have no idea which poll option is which, how do I vote for the reaper mission?

the poll options are presented in the same order that the mission options are presented, so option 1 = reapers for the dude, option 2 = hellions for science lady

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Koorisch posted:

I'm guessing they're *far* more useful in a Bunker than actually running around on the field?

At least against Zerg.
Nope. In addition to their already-discussed DPS issues, Firebats actually take up 2 slots in a bunker, so it gets compared to two Marines (or one Marauder, a straight up better unit). If you got attacked exclusively by Zerglings, maybe you could make an argument for the Firebat, but the instant the AI sends almost any other unit in their entire arsenal as part of their army, Firebats fall way behind compared with the other options you could have in that Bunker space.

If you're given Firebats as part of your starting forces and you have spare Bunker space, you might as well put them in there as "meh might as well, better than nothing", but that's the best you can say.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Devil Dogs are actually.. ok? For the price and no build speed, they can stand in front of marines and tank without dying.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The biggest problem with Firebats as a short-range unit is how long it takes them to actually FIRE when they go to attack.

One of the general balance changes made in the Nightmare Mode mod for the Wings of Liberty campaign was to simply reduce that delay between the start of the attack animation and the actual attack occurring. It makes a startling amount of difference. As a bonus, the Nightmare Mode mod doesn't actually have to be played on Nightmare Difficulty; if you play on a level below brutal, I think you just get the general balance changes and not the Nightmare Mode difficulty.

As it stands... best to skip them, or yeah, stick them in a bunker somewhere.

Szarrukin posted:

Also, wasn't it implied that spoilerspoiler?

I'll wait until we reach the end of this mission chain because obviously spoilers, but I do have an answer for this.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 25, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

disposablewords posted:

Dang, I guess it's been just way too long since I last even glanced at Brood War. Well, rip in piss to a garbage dude, I guess I'm okay with throwing in Warfield.

Warfield is "What if Duke WASN'T a complete irredeemable piece of poo poo." Same charisma, same commanding presence, same tongue firmly on Mengsk's boot, just not as much of an rear end in a top hat.

But yeah, this is definitely Blizzard going "Oh poo poo, we really shouldn't have killed Duke off in Brood War, what were we thinking?"

And won't be the last time they play this card either :ssh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
his name is WARfield. very subtle!

I remember being annoyed by this at the time but these days, whatever. it's just gonna amuse me every time his name shows up.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Ultimately Firebats are only ever going to be a niche part of the army simply because, among other things, the marine is just that good (and cheap).

Nightmare mod theoretically also gives them a niche as baneling bait by making them either immune or taking significantly less damage from baneling acid, but ultimately bioball doesn't really need a tank, and marauders do enough of that at a pinch and also don't need to be at melee range for the same benefit.

And then yeah, Blizzard came out with hell bat, which... well, we'll get that when we reach the hellion.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Unit Spotlight: Marine

Overview:
  • Cost: 50 minerals, 1 Supply
  • Production Structure: Barracks
  • Health: 45
  • Armor: 0 (+1)
  • Attack: 6 (+1)
  • Range: 5
  • Attack Speed: 0.86
  • Attributes: Biological, Light
While Marines were already good in SC1, the improvements to pathfinding and control groups gives them a massive boost. If you got 30 Marines, you can throw them in one group and stim them all with a single click rather than needing to juggle three separate hotkeys. Their low cost, sheer versatility, and ease of use makes the lowly Marine one of the best units in Wings of Liberty.

Armory Upgrades:

Stimpacks
  • Cost: 50,000 Credits
  • Grants the Stimpack ability.
  • Effect: Marine takes 10 damage, fires and moves 50% faster.
  • Duration: 15 seconds.
Stimpacks provide a temporary boost to the Marine's attack and movement speeds by dosing him with a mix of adrenaline, endorphins, and aggression enhancers.

This frenzied burst does come at the expense of the Marine's health. Medical treatment is highly advisable after multiple uses.

Stims are a massive boost to damage that doesn't need to be researched at the start of every mission, you always have Medics on hand to patch people up, and it has a dirt cheap credit cost. The only time you shouldn't buy Stim is if you're doing some kind of gimmicky Marine-less challenge run.

Combat Shield
  • Cost: 60,000 Credits.
  • Marines gain +10 life.
M98 Combat Shields are a vital upgrade for any Marine fighting on the front line. 30mm of bonded carbide may not sound like much, but field tests have shown a full 25% increase in Marine survivability when equipped with Combat Shields.

A small, yet surprisingly potent buff. Marines are squishy, so an ~18% boost to health gives them a lot more staying power. (Spine Crawlers go from killing in two hits to killing in three, as an early example.) It isn't mandatory like Stim, but definitely worth grabbing when you have some credits to spare.

Mercenary: War Pigs

War Pig mercenaries are well known for both their ruthless combat efficiency as well as their heavy drinking and barroom brawls. Their upgraded equipment and thousands of hours of combat experience make them well worth all the trouble they cause when they are off duty.
  • Hiring Cost: 0 Credits
  • Mission Cost: 250 mineral, 4 supply
  • Squad Size: 4 Elite Marines
  • Hiring Cap: 3 squads
  • Cooldown: 5 minutes
  • Stat boosts: +65% Health, +35% Damage
You get twelve of them per mission, and you don't even have to shell out any credits for them!

Field Manual Artwork

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 28, 2023

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

BisbyWorl posted:

Unit Spotlight: Marine

Yes! Brilliant! It's stuff like this that keeps me coming back!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

missed opportunity for the art department to give the War Pigs weapons that resemble an M60 (it's nickname is Pig)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

wedgekree posted:

Also in the bar there's that dancing Night Elf on a pole

That's Nova. Many of the game's doodads imply that she dances in her off-time.

Because loving Blizzard.

e: Caught up with the thread.

I spent a good chunk of my career making Starcraft 2 mods, and even won some awards and got featured by Blizzard for my efforts. As a result, I have a bunch of random and esoteric knowledge about the game engine and many of the units within, and will be tossing out some Fun Facts from time to time.

Fun Fact #1: The story portions are actually game maps, with each character being an actual in-game unit and game scripting tied to clicking things. For example, if you pop open the editor and load the Campaign dependency, you can place any of the Hyperion props or units right next to SCVs and Marines.

BisbyWorl posted:

Mercenary: War Pigs

Fun Fact #2: This is not the War Pig used in the Wings of Liberty Campaign. That's actually the XP Reward model, granted to players who reach certain levels in Multiplayer. The model featured in Wings of Liberty has crunchier textures and a Samus-inspired visor:

Fun Fact #3: The magazine of the War Pig's rifle spins while they're firing. I have no idea why.

Kith fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 28, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kith posted:

That's Nova. Many of the game's doodads imply that she dances in her off-time.

Because loving Blizzard.

:catstare:

of loving course.

Kith posted:

Fun Fact #2: This is not the War Pig used in the Wings of Liberty Campaign. That's actually the XP Reward model, granted to players who reach certain levels in Multiplayer. The model featured in Wings of Liberty has crunchier textures and a Samus-inspired visor:

And that one's on me, since I just grabbed the first model image I saw on the wiki. I'll fix it in a bit.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Also, as a Firebat Apologist, they're just...

they're just so bad, y'all.

They're not even the best at providing Anti-Light AOE defenses because Perdition Turrets exist and the alternative option is a bad joke. There is no reason to use Firebats in Starcraft II unless you're playing very specific commanders in Co-Op and are desperate for very specific solutions.

At least the Firebat in HOTS is decent. Horribly mislabeled, but decent.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Alright, calling it here.

We're going to Meinhoff.

Also, thanks to Kith for sending me a link to the Starcraft Field Manual. Art from that will be added in to the unit spotlights.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Unit Spotlight: Medic

Overview:
  • Cost: 75 minerals, 50 gas, 2 supply
  • Production Structure: Barracks w/ Tech Lab
  • Health: 100
  • Armor: 1 (+1)
  • Attributes: Biological, Light
The natural partner of the Marine, Medics heal people. That's it. They're a mandatory pick if you're doing a bio build, but 50 gas a head is a bit pricey if you want to try some kind of mixed bio/mech composition, so you might want to ease up on your Medic counts.

Abilities:

Heal
  • Heals a friendly biological target. Heals 9 life per 3 energy.
Exactly what it says on the tin.

Armory Upgrades:

Advanced Medic Facilities
  • Cost: 60,000 Credits
  • Medics no longer require the Tech Lab add-on.
Storing Medpacks has traditionally required the advanced facilities of the Tech Lab. Remedius Medical Systems now offers a storage facility that can be housed in the Barracks itself, eliminating the need for the Tech Lab when training and outfitting Medics.

Eh. You never need to make so many Medics in a hurry that you'll need to Reactor them out, and you still need Tech Labs anyways to make all the other Barracks units. Plus, there's a potential late game upgrade that can render this almost entirely redundant, leaving you down 60K credits with no hope of a refund. Skip.

Stabilizer Medpacks
  • Cost: 105,000 Credits.
  • Medics heal targets 25% faster.
  • Medics use 33% less energy per heal.
The Stabilizer Medpack is a new generation of medical Nanobot that heals targets more efficiently and can be injected at faster rates. Show your Marines that you truly care by outfitting your Medics with Stabilizer Medpacks today!

This, on the other hand, is a must pick for any bio comp. The only thing a Medic can do is heal, so making their heals even better is a no brainer. 105K is a steep cost, but well worth it.

Field Manual Artwork

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I adore the Field Manual. I love that type of book where it's presented as a more professional or standard thing, but a previous owner has left all sorts of doodles and entertaining comments scribbled in.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

BlazetheInferno posted:

I adore the Field Manual. I love that type of book where it's presented as a more professional or standard thing, but a previous owner has left all sorts of doodles and entertaining comments scribbled in.

I remember Syndicate Wars had a good bit of that, with the manual written from the point of view of EuroCorp but annotated by the cultists, another good example is the Paranoia XP RPG's corebook where, once again, a lot of the text is official propaganda, but you get commentary from mutants and rebels.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Was it Fallout that started this thing?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So, Medics lost their flash grenades for SC2? The manual seems to mention them...

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

UED only, which evidently doesn't appear in this game.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the annotated text framing device in positively ancient epistolary novels which in practice probably means from the 18th or 19th century.

I'm not knocking on it, it's a good trick.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Medic Flashbangs actually haven't appeared in-game since Brood War - even in Heroes of the Storm, the Medic hero, Lt. Morales, in her annoyed quotes notices and laments the lack of her optical flares. "I already miss blinding people :("

It's interesting that the Field Manual mentions them, considering they have not appeared in *any* official version of the game that I know of, be it campaigns, co-op, or otherwise.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
The field manual makes the Marines even more like WH40k Space Marines. The armour sealing to prevent bleeding out, the design of the greaves....

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

That woman needs to see a medic herself, something is seriously wrong with her hips. Her legs appear to be growing out of the sides of her waist, and that can't be healthy.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

anilEhilated posted:

So, Medics lost their flash grenades for SC2? The manual seems to mention them...

They got them back in Moebius mod. I know it's the fifth time this week I'm showing Moebius mod to the class, but it's just so good.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Cythereal posted:

That woman needs to see a medic herself, something is seriously wrong with her hips. Her legs appear to be growing out of the sides of her waist, and that can't be healthy.

The three problems of power armor are the power source, the control of the actuators to not crush the user and actually do what they want, and the genetic and body modification technology to make joints be able to disconnect the regular joint and extend thanks to a hydrostatic muscle, in order to fit in the armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cythereal posted:

To be fair to the art team, the Starcraft 2 Power Armor has been shown in the Teaser Trailer and several times in anatomy breakdowns to not be "centered" on the user, with the legs especially going along the inseams of the armor and the outseam being where the majority of the suit's bulk lives.

And for that matter, Real Life Cosplays have shown that it's completely possible to fit a real person inside of such a suit:

With that information in mind, the Medic's suit is likely oriented like this:

Which isn't that big of an ask for hips, and the hand articulation controls being set further up the forearm explains what's up with the arms.

Kith fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 29, 2023