Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

cruft posted:

Now you have to tell me what WM you use. It would be a hoot (to me) if it were the one I worked on.

e: anyway, isn't there a tiling wayland compositor everybody's all horned up about? sway or something?
I just use wayland+sway, yeah.
However, mine's not even using the tiling option except for when I've got multiple presentations going on at various BSD conferences that I'm attending virtually - for everything else, it's one program per workspace, in full-screen mode.

For the longest time I used xfree86/xorg+ratpoison-wm, switched to xorg+i3, and then to wayland+sway when I got my T480s.
I don't think any of the programs I use are making use of Xwayland, but I keep it installed just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think about Enlightenment about once a decade. Did E17 ever come out?

The alpha branch moved on to E18 before E17 reached 1.0. I think it was at E21 when I stopped using it, still a buggy mess.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
KDE is fine these days, I guess? KWin gets some bonus points for being one of the first Wayland compositors that wasn't just based on the Weston reference implementation. I mean, I did use KDE for years particularly in the 3.x era, but I found that it was generally too busy for what I really wanted.

cruft posted:

e: anyway, isn't there a tiling wayland compositor everybody's all horned up about? sway or something?
Sway's sister project is wlroots which is a Wayland compositor "framework" that a lot of window managers are starting to use. I've never gotten into tiling window managers though. When I do use X, Openbox is my preferred window manager to LabWC (also based on wlroots) is of interest to me, but the only Debian packaging that exists for it right now is a Ubuntu PPA.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

unruly posted:

I mean, isn't Arch's pacman just a wrapper around extracting .xz files? I know that the ABS is literally just shell scripts for installing packages that no one wants to officially maintain.

It decompresses archives, yes, but it also resolves dependencies, downloads packages, and runs install scripts.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Thanks this worked, with caveats

For others, Pop OS has gnome "Files" app, my synology SMB share showed right up on my file browser, but couldn't/wouldn't access it. Using the "browser bar"* at the bottom I put in smb://hadlockserver.local/sharename and it prompted me for user/password and is transferring files now

Not sure why the point and click method doesn't throw up a user/pass box but at least the browser bar thing works

unrelated: my ubuntu 20.04 install is getting a little long in tooth, plus there's no easy/direct upgrade path from kbuntu 20.04, and I have several firmware updates on my thinkpad i'd like to install, thinking about going to Debian 12 LTS? That ought to stretch things out until 2028 by which time I'll probably have upgraded my travel laptop

*as several goons suggested, thanks goon sires

I got this working in Dolphin now that I have a few minutes

the magic ingredients were from the KDE start bar type "smb" then select "windows shares" and input my u/p Hadlock:Password. Then created a new smb thing via hidden right click menu (i forget which one, it's not the first two obvious ones) and found the correct syntax in an error message :rolleyes: which was

smb://hadlock@SERVERname.local/SHAREname:445

Before I connected, I visited servername.local in chrome to validate my '.local' DNS had been correctly fetched (takes a while on windows machines, in particular)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lifroc posted:

I might install XFCE if/when they get Wayland.

e: I'm an idiot, it's based on GTK. But still

XFCE uses GTK stuff, but they have their own window manager + compositor etc and they're still not Wayland ready.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

KDE is fine these days, I guess? KWin gets some bonus points for being one of the first Wayland compositors that wasn't just based on the Weston reference implementation. I mean, I did use KDE for years particularly in the 3.x era, but I found that it was generally too busy for what I really wanted.

Yeah, I disliked KDE every time I looked at it before Plasma, hated the XP-rear end plastic aesthetic. (Which TBF I hated in Windows too.)

If XFCE hadn't been so behind on Wayland I probably wouldn't have tried it out, I'd used XFCE mostly when dabbling with linux stuff previously.

Hadlock posted:

I got this working in Dolphin now that I have a few minutes

the magic ingredients were from the KDE start bar type "smb" then select "windows shares" and input my u/p Hadlock:Password. Then created a new smb thing via hidden right click menu (i forget which one, it's not the first two obvious ones) and found the correct syntax in an error message :rolleyes: which was

smb://hadlock@SERVERname.local/SHAREname:445

Before I connected, I visited servername.local in chrome to validate my '.local' DNS had been correctly fetched (takes a while on windows machines, in particular)

This sounds like it may be your router more than anything else that's the problem, if the .local lookup is taking a while. I can't remember, did you ever try just finding the IP of the PC you wanted to connect to and doing smb://192.168.whatever?

(I've not had that type of problem at all, but my router is set up well including putting the PCs on static IPs.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The router is whatever Google was selling as the Nest Router in October of 2020, the smooth matte finish one with the rounded top and bottom. Presumably it's not total garbage but I stopped paying attention to routers after the purchase of my OnHub router in April 2016

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

I have written packages for Debian, Arch and rpms, and I still don't understand what the more complex systems like deb/rpm have over Arch's makepkg.

They have a lot of ceremony and bullshit for minimal added benefit that's only really relevant for companies that need full control over their package pipeline. "Oh you can list all patches applied, and a changelog". Just store that information as a regular file inside the tarball, instead of cramming it into a weirdly clunky .spec file.

I know someone ported makepkg and AUR to Debian but AFAIK no serious person uses it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Using the AUR in Debian just seems so, like, philosophically weird.

If you're the type of person who wants the AUR then aren't you also the type of person that doesn't want Debian?

I'm not saying I'm against it existing or anything, I'm all for pointless things just for the sake of doing them.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Debian is more than just the deb packages. Sometimes you want to create your own packages or patch existing ones, and while it is as fun as poking your eyes to create a regular deb, it's a walk in the park with makepkg.

These days I use Fedora and every time I need to patch a package I need to consult my rpm packaging notes because it's so convoluted. Not to mention the brain-dead tendency of rpm tools to pollute your home with SPECS, RPMS directories and a few other. That's just rude.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lifroc posted:

Debian is more than just the deb packages. Sometimes you want to create your own packages or patch existing ones, and while it is as fun as poking your eyes to create a regular deb, it's a walk in the park with makepkg.

These days I use Fedora and every time I need to patch a package I need to consult my rpm packaging notes because it's so convoluted. Not to mention the brain-dead tendency of rpm tools to pollute your home with SPECS, RPMS directories and a few other. That's just rude.

I remember being thoroughly enraged to find that Debian and Red Hat had both patched the Screen program to handle backspace differently. Like, this problem is just never going to die, apparently, if the big two players are putting their stakes in opposite camps and patching away developers' attempts to standardize it.

That was actually one of the formative experiences that sent me over to Arch, actually. Red Hat's patch set was particularly irritating to me.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Lifroc posted:

Not to mention the brain-dead tendency of rpm tools to pollute your home with SPECS, RPMS directories and a few other. That's just rude.

That's why I use a container to build RPMs (or any other software for that matter).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Having to use the terminal to set up the entire install that should be a gui install is what turned me off of using it, vs other flavors of Linux.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Having to use the terminal to set up the entire install that should be a gui install is what turned me off of using it, vs other flavors of Linux.

I presume you're talking about Arch. I actually really enjoyed that aspect of it!

I guess that just goes to show that a stick in the hand is worth two grapes!

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I went back to just using arch. As fiddly as the install process is, at least if something goes wrong it's pretty easy to diagnose and fix.

Last time I just used the install script and apart from one weird bug where it got confused which hard drive to install the os to, it was mostly painless and very quick.

This time I did it all manually again and it's just remembering small things like enabling a few things in systemd to get the internet up and running.

I will say I played around with some live CDs in the meantime and Wayland really seems to be that much better out of the box with so little effort compared to xorg. I had so many annoying screen tears and glitches with xorg but everything just kinda worked with Wayland.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wayland is the way.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can I ask you to put into words why you find this so off-putting?

Visually, Windows 10 and Windows 11 installs don't look like the Windows 98 or even Windows XP installers, which is mostly down to the window decorations and the lack of the loving-awful sidebar they were going for.
However, I really don't understand what's so bad about a dialog(1) based installer, but I suspect it's because I've gotten so used to them over 20 years, that I can't see the forest for the trees.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Visually, Windows 10 and Windows 11 installs don't look like the Windows 98 or even Windows XP installers, which is mostly down to the window decorations and the lack of the loving-awful sidebar they were going for.
However, I really don't understand what's so bad about a dialog(1) based installer, but I suspect it's because I've gotten so used to them over 20 years, that I can't see the forest for the trees.

I don't think Arch uses dialog(1). At least, last time I set it up, you walked through a wiki page that told you what to type at the prompt in order to set various things up. I appreciated it a lot, because I like knowing how things work: crucially, the wiki page also walked you through *why* you were doing each step, and what impact it had on the system. But someone who wanted to experience the majesty of Linux on the Desktop might understandably be put off by this.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

cruft posted:

I don't think Arch uses dialog(1). At least, last time I set it up, you walked through a wiki page that told you what to type at the prompt in order to set various things up. I appreciated it a lot, because I like knowing how things work: crucially, the wiki page also walked you through *why* you were doing each step, and what impact it had on the system. But someone who wanted to experience the majesty of Linux on the Desktop might understandably be put off by this.
Ah, I hadn't realized there was software that did plain prompt-based installs.
At that point, you might as well just have people run a few tar commands and install(1).

I forget when FreeBSD switched to bsdinstall, but sysinstall before it also used dialog(1).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

when I've got multiple presentations going on at various BSD conferences that I'm attending virtually

That’s it, that’s the thread. (But too long for a title.)

I legit laughed with joy when I read that, it is so perfectly BlankSystemDaemon. No irony, I love you fellow nerd poster.

(At first I thought you meant you were presenting to multiple conferences at the same time and I was super impressed with the efficiency.)

I used to work with an “owned a daemon costume”-grade FreeBSD advocate in the 90s and I think developed a special sensitivity to it, but there’s some truly excellent engineering in there that I’m glad Linux can copy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Because, while yes, it's Linux, so it's accepted there is some difficulty, right from the get go needing to type out long strings for several pages into the terminal with each step is pretty annoying, especially if you mess something up like you didn't turn something on in the vm or the bios and now you have to shut it down and start completely over.

VS Ubuntu install where you click poo poo with a mouse and it automates the tedium for you

I'm more understanding of the former if it's in 2023 to do some power user poo poo, not, what should be the most brainless part of an OS' first impression

Edit of course the other benefit is because Ubuntu is more popular, going with a distro where there is likely to be a guide online that helps you do the task is also helpful

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 27, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Because, while yes, it's Linux, so it's accepted there is some difficulty, right from the get go needing to type out long strings for several pages into the terminal with each step is pretty annoying, especially if you mess something up like you didn't turn something on in the vm or the bios and now you have to shut it down and start completely over.
Debian-Installer has been around since 2005. Even before that Debian had a guided curses-based installer. The only installation of Debian I found genuinely difficult was back in the days of Debian 1.3 (bo, 1997) because the installer would drop you into dselect and you'd have to manually select what packages to install from a list--meaning you had to have some idea of what the packages were.

I know that RedHat, SUSE, etc., had easier installers back then, albeit perhaps not as flexible.

Manually installing Arch from live boot media is ... fine, if you want to do that. It's also tedious, and I'm not convinced that folks really "learn" much by tying in a bunch of arcane commands for which they have little context. Also how much is the user really learning if they're not boostrapping the live boot media themselves?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Manually installing Arch from live boot media is ... fine, if you want to do that. It's also tedious, and I'm not convinced that folks really "learn" much by tying in a bunch of arcane commands for which they have little context. Also how much is the user really learning if they're not boostrapping the live boot media themselves?

I learned quite a bit from it :colbert:

But I will readily concede it is not a general purpose distro.

My rule of thumb used to be, if you wanted to install Linux, I said Ubuntu. If you wanted to know what distro, I said Debian. If you wanted to know what I ran, I said Arch. Lately, I don't know any more, for any of those questions.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anybody actually daily drive vanilla Gnome 3 besides the people who actively develop on the project? Just seems like a huge pile of bad design decisions

I wasn't sure what GUI I had previously installed in 2020 and accidentally installed Gnome 3 instead of KDE, but it was glaringly obvious when the start button went missing, as did the minimize/maximize buttons

I guess Cinnamon and Mint are the successors to Gnome 2

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

cruft posted:

I learned quite a bit from it :colbert:
Yeah, learned what though. The nuances of UEFI booting?

Like, sure, manually running fdisk is fine (and also something you can do in other installers anyways), but the installation guide just looks tedious without really explaining much about a running system.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Hadlock posted:

Does anybody actually daily drive vanilla Gnome 3 besides the people who actively develop on the project? Just seems like a huge pile of bad design decisions

I wasn't sure what GUI I had previously installed in 2020 and accidentally installed Gnome 3 instead of KDE, but it was glaringly obvious when the start button went missing, as did the minimize/maximize buttons

I just tried the latest Debian package of Gnome on a throwaway VM and... they literally removed the feature where the taskbar of the desktop shows multiple apps. Like, you have to now click Activities then click the window you want to switch to if you're using maximized or non-overlapping apps. What the gently caress?

And not only that, to get multiple running apps showing they walk you through installing a browser plugin that can in turn install Gnome shell extensions, goddamn. I feel like I'm being trolled.

Edit:

Look at all the empty space that could still be showing the running apps LOL.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 27, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yeah, learned what though. The nuances of UEFI booting?

As a matter of fact, yes. I wound up using this knowledge on our on-prem cloud architecture at work.

Like I said, it's not for everyone, but Arch is just excellent for people who really want to dig in and understand as much as possible. I used to recommend Slackware for this purpose, back in the 90s, because everything it installed was half-broken, and you'd have to learn how to fix it. Arch is better for this.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Hadlock posted:

I use gnome3 with like three boring plugins. It's fine.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

I just tried the latest Debian package of Gnome on a throwaway VM and... they literally removed the feature where the taskbar of the desktop shows multiple apps. Like, you have to now click Activities then click the window you want to switch to if you're using maximized or non-overlapping apps. What the gently caress?

And not only that, to get multiple running apps showing they walk you through installing a browser plugin that can in turn install Gnome shell extensions, goddamn. I feel like I'm being trolled.

Edit:

Look at all the empty space that could still be showing the running apps LOL.

Yeah, it rules, you ram your mouse cursor into the corner and then click the window you want.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm convinced GNOME is just some elaborate troll, it is truly the worst of all worlds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GTK always looked like a gui made with programmer art to me. They did teach themselves to make better programmer art over the years but it's lipstick on a pig.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

cruft posted:

Like I said, it's not for everyone, but Arch is just excellent for people who really want to dig in and understand as much as possible.
OK, so, counterpoint, you can use Debian Live or even the Ubuntu installer image to manually install those respective distributions the exact same as you would Arch. Just replace "pacstrap" with "debootstrap".

Honestly the thing that separates Arch from Debian unstable is more consistent Wiki documentation, otherwise I don't really get the purpose of Arch as it doesn't seem to actually fill a niche other than the documentation, and not having an official installer is one of the reasons it feels like a half-baked distribution otherwise.

I mean, I'm not trying to turn it into a distro war. I accept Arch exists because people want it to exist, fair enough. I just don't agree that "being forced to do something" (like a manual install) is inherently better when you can easily do a manual installation with plenty of other distributions with the option of using a graphical installer too.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I mean, I'm not trying to turn it into a distro war. I accept Arch exists because people want it to exist, fair enough. I just don't agree that "being forced to do something" (like a manual install) is inherently better when you can easily do a manual installation with plenty of other distributions with the option of using a graphical installer too.

You seem conflicted about whether this distro has a reason to exist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You aren’t forced to do a manual install. You are choosing to do a manual install when you choose unadulterated Arch. Arch is for people who want that experience, whatever the reason (boredom, a quest for enlightenment, typing practice). If they didn’t want that, they’d choose EndeavourOS or something.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

other people posted:

I use gnome3 with like three boring plugins. It's fine.

I also used Gnome3 and I liked the design a whole lot.

For reference, before that, I used 9wm, and I liked it so much, I took over maintenance of the source code.

Now I'm using Windows and it's fine. Whatever. I miss being able to jam my cursor in the top-left corner, but you can type Meta-Tab, so whatever. I've had to adapt to so many different user interfaces at this point that I just don't care any more.

ps: I'm happy to help others who have to run Windows but are allowed to install WSL2. It is pretty cool.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 27, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the actual reason arch exists is for people who want packages to update as soon as upstream releases them and with no modifications by the distro maintainers.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

cruft posted:

You seem conflicted about whether this distro has a reason to exist.
Well, sort of. A distro doesn't "need" a reason to exist but most were created to fulfill some role that wasn't being addressed by the community at the time. But I'm struggling to think of what problem Arch was trying to solve in 2002 that, again, say Debian, hadn't already solved. I suppose the latter was still regularly doing freezes of testing (and sometimes, unstable) when trying to get the woody/sarge/etch releases out, something which happens less these days. But like, is .PKGINFO really simpler than debian/control and debian/rules?

I guess the answer is that it's generally closer to upstream, has a bit less friction, but is more loosey-goosey about package dependencies and understood that you should always be running the most recent version of existing package when installing anything new.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I guess the answer is that it's generally closer to upstream, has a bit less friction, but is more loosey-goosey about package dependencies and understood that you should always be running the most recent version of existing package when installing anything new.

it is also pretty barebones in its default incarnation, and has no strong ties to any particular DE, so it's a popular choice for those who want to assemble their own desktop with a tiling WM, TUI, or something else that's not well served by most of the big distros. It appealed to me mainly because it was small enough that i could fit it into my brain and feel like i had a reasonable understanding of its components, and allow me to replace those components piecemeal if i wanted a particular feature or piece of software that wasn't covered by the defaults.

No one can really convince you of its virtues (though many will try), but i think that it can be interesting to users that have any basic curiosity about how their computer/operating system works, or to appeal to power users who have a very particular idea of how they want their system to work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Debian stable used to be a museum piece, and the community pretty hide-bound in its policies around packager agency. You very often got software materially different from what the developer of that software intended (which is why trademark fights happened sometimes), and packagers were widely variable in terms of how pleasant it was to interact with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

pseudorandom name posted:

Yeah, it rules, you ram your mouse cursor into the corner and then click the window you want.

Or press the windows/meta key. IIRC you can also start typing in that view to search for applications you want to launch, so the "win, start typing" muscle memory from windows works (albeit with very different visuals). It's kind of nice when you get used to it.