Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
lol. "goes back to" lol. no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

0 days since last Russian war crime.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Imagine the difference this war would be if russia missiled actual military targets. They've used what 500? 1k? missiles now and it's mostly been appartments, malls, schools and hospitals. Also now running on lower reservers of shells/rockets due to doing the same thing.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Its good that Putin kept Shoigu and that guy from the Police academy movies, it would be really bad for Ukrainian army if the Russians found out that they can use missiles and suicide drones also against military targets.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Dwesa posted:

in case some Russian soldiers are wondering why are they fighting with an equpiment that looks like this

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1673764538968055819

the cope tennis court

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Der Kyhe posted:

Its good that Putin kept Shoigu and that guy from the Police academy movies, it would be really bad for Ukrainian army if the Russians found out that they can use missiles and suicide drones also against military targets.

It would be pretty funny if the hotdog man managed to get Shoigu fired but yeah if it was replaced by some halfway-competent warmonger it could've been worse

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Tai posted:

Imagine the difference this war would be if russia missiled actual military targets. They've used what 500? 1k? missiles now and it's mostly been appartments, malls, schools and hospitals. Also now running on lower reservers of shells/rockets due to doing the same thing.

The thing is, russia's intelligence is awful and Ukraine's air defense is fairly good, so they really can't hit anything useful.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Russians: Not...commit...war crimes...? I'm not following

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

welp gotta hand it to the 'this benefits putin' guy

yeah if you ignore the dozen ways this has left putin weaker and also the ways the upside from this got spoiled this definitely benefits putin

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

mobby_6kl posted:

It would be pretty funny if the hotdog man managed to get Shoigu fired but yeah if it was replaced by some halfway-competent warmonger it could've been worse

That reminds me of early in the war, when Ukraine's anti-corruption office sent a letter to Shoigu thanking him for his contributions to Ukraine's war effort.

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1501991946851655684

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

ryde posted:

Not gonna lie I was pretty worried at the rumored MoD change potentially putting someone competent in charge, so I'm pretty happy that there are (apparently) no significant changes.

No such person exists, they are hiding all the competent Generals out back with the Real Russian Army (tm) that was gonna show up any day now.

Putin’s been in charge for two decades. Everyone capable of doing poo poo is long gone.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

No such person exists, they are hiding all the competent Generals out back with the Real Russian Army (tm) that was gonna show up any day now.

Putin’s been in charge for two decades. Everyone capable of doing poo poo is long gone.

"long gone" implies, ha ha ha, ahahahah, it implies ahahaahah, excuse me, ahahaahah.
no actually, I have flown into Sheremetyevo is varoious different levels of competance and i have not died even once, Russians are competant of a great many things oir were, so I find myself agreeing with you, on second thoughts.

staberind fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 27, 2023

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

You just wait. Russia will resurrect Zhukov any day now! :colbert:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

There might be some competent guy in the lower ranks, but because he isn't corrupt as hell he'll never get promoted.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Competence is the enemy of unquestioning loyalty. There isn't a single career officer in the army above captain that isn't promoted based on loyalty anymore, as Putin took over some 20 years ago.

There is competency in places like FSB or Rosvgardia, but they aren't military, they are enforcers and people who can only keep the civilians in place.

naem
May 29, 2011

Lucky Guy posted:

the cope tennis court

chicken coop

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

the competent generals are right here laughing along with us, just out of frame

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

There is competency in places like FSB or Rosvgardia, but they aren't military, they are enforcers and people who can only keep the civilians in place.

Honestly I doubt it. Especially after the ride of the Wagnerites. Blunt jackbooted repression (or the image of it) also doesn't require alot of skill or finesse.

I don't really know why people keep bringing up the Rosgvardia as not being a pile of poo poo rotted out by corruption and favoritism. There is really no evidence to suggest why they should be so different from the army as far as I'm concenred. They are part of the same system, they are not the secret good army.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Randarkman posted:

Honestly I doubt it. Especially after the ride of the Wagnerites. Blunt jackbooted repression (or the image of it) also doesn't require alot of skill or finesse.

I don't really know why people keep bringing up the Rosgvardia as not being a pile of poo poo rotted out by corruption and favoritism. There is really no evidence to suggest why they should be so different from the army as far as I'm concenred. They are part of the same system, they are not the secret good army.

They are, supposedly, a 400k strong paramilitary force which is mostly untapped as emperor needs his security forces. In any sane scenario they'd be badly outgunned by an actual military unit, but competent and professional force that follows military hierarchy. But what we saw last weekend, they might be just another paper bear with some reserve cops with minimal training, armed mostly with rusty BMPs, infantry leftovers and riot gear.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

naem posted:

chicken coop

Coop d'etat

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Der Kyhe posted:

They are, supposedly, a 400k strong paramilitary force which is mostly untapped as emperor needs his security forces. In any sane scenario they'd be badly outgunned by an actual military unit, but competent and professional force that follows military hierarchy. But what we saw last weekend, they might be just another paper bear with some reserve cops with minimal training, armed mostly with rusty BMPs, infantry leftovers and riot gear.

A guy with an excavator did immeasurably more to hinder the coup than all of the Rosgvardia combined

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
lmao Shoigu's a weeb

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

A guy with an excavator did immeasurably more to hinder the coup than all of the Rosgvardia combined

Yes. Maybe they were outside of the picture with T-14 Armatas and those sci-fi armors that can take .50 Barrett from any angle, just laughing at the excavator guy.

EDIT: BTW I am not disagreeing with you, if that isn't clear enough. Last weekend proved that Rosvgardia is just another joke of an unit as the rest of them, and one that might not even mostly exist beyond the paperwork to fleece money.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 27, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
dude busted up that highway in the perfect spot too. can't go around because of a lake

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

dude busted up that highway in the perfect spot too. can't go around because of a lake

A Swan Lake? :q:

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes. Maybe they were outside of the picture with T-14 Armatas and those sci-fi armors that can take .50 Barrett from any angle, just laughing at the excavator guy.

EDIT: BTW I am not disagreeing with you, if that isn't clear enough. Last weekend proved that Rosvgardia is just another joke of an unit as the rest of them, and one that might not even mostly exist beyond the paperwork to fleece money.

HonorableTB posted:

Serious question- is there a saying or a proverb or something in Russia that more or less equates to "If you think what I did was dumb, it is you who are stupid" or something like that?

I'm not really even sure why it popped into my head, but it would kind of explain some things

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Serious question- is there a saying or a proverb or something in Russia that more or less equates to "If you think what I did was dumb, it is you who are stupid" or something like that?

I'm not really even sure why it popped into my head, but it would kind of explain some things

idk about that one but one of my favorites is "not my circus, not my monkeys"

which i think is Polish originally

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe "yrittänyttä ei laiteta"? If you try something your are not expected to try again if you fail or don't really achieve the original goal, but you should be lauded for the attempt. But that's Finnish. Don't know if it has a Russian version.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Not quite what you had in mind but this seems appropriate anyway:

Дураков не сеют, не жнут, сами родятся (Durakov nye seyut, nye zhnut, sami rodyatsya)

Means "fools are neither sown nor reaped, they grow all by themselves"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sashimi posted:

lmao Shoigu's a weeb
Accuse him of war crimes all you want but he IS Tuvan and that looks Tuvan enough for government work

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Accuse him of war crimes all you want but he IS Tuvan and that looks Tuvan enough for government work

I actually want to applaud the guy for building stuff that is Tuvan architecture, not just some random stupid Versailles-copy like Putin did to Sochi.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, I'm sure Putin would want his special guards, and his intelligence services and let's not forget nuclear weapons and their associated launch platforms to work efficently and competently and be corruption free.

But that's not how that works. When you turn your entire country into a corrupt basket case you can't magically exempt the poo poo you actually want to work properly from the crippling graft.

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

"A ruskie is a ruskie even if you roast one in butter" isn't what you're after but that's just something that comes to mind whenever Russia does its thing.

My granddad used to say that when the news brodacst in Finland had a piece re: whatever they did so pls don't bloodlust probe me, I doubt he ever cooked one but being a machinegun man he got to familiar with many.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Putin would want his special guards, and his intelligence services and let's not forget nuclear weapons and their associated launch platforms to work efficently and competently and be corruption free.

But that's not how that works. When you turn your entire country into a corrupt basket case you can't magically exempt the poo poo you actually want to work properly from the crippling graft.

What are you talking about, everyone is corrupt everywhere, only children believe in fairy stories about efficiency and duty.

You keep people in line with threats and you let your friends wet their beak, how else can a society function?

A real man hustles and bends the rules for profit, only the weak refuse.

Russia is basically if “Donnie Brasco” was a country.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Horrorosaurus posted:

"A ruskie is a ruskie even if you roast one in butter" isn't what you're after but that's just something that comes to mind whenever Russia does its thing.

My granddad used to say that when the news brodacst in Finland had a piece re: whatever they did so pls don't bloodlust probe me, I doubt he ever cooked one but being a machinegun man he got to familiar with many.

The shorter "Ryssä on aina ryssä", "Ruskie is always a ruskie" has resurfaced in Finland, as there are many people who (rightfully) associate this war in Ukraine with the Winter War.

To not sound like a massive racist, the Finnish people believed and hoped to very very large extent that now that USSR collapsed, we could have a normal neighbor, with whom we could do business, science and cooperation with. In March 2022 this all collapsed, showing that our ~30 year policies of trying to help and understand did jack poo poo. So there is a quite large amount of bitterness going on, in addition of actual security concerns.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 27, 2023

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Ah, hadn't considered this particular point. But he's stronger for it!

https://twitter.com/sevslv/status/1673758803253141523?cxt=HHwWpoCxue-wsbouAAAA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Okay so how do we know that Wagner wasn't actually secretly doing anti partisan work?

I mean they are on the state pay roll so it's Not a coup!!!!!!!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

honi soit qui mal y pense :chord:

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
In an alternate timeline, a Prighozin-Furry-FSB triumvirate has taken over the Russian Federation:
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1673803622142836737?t=IHnMUb9O3cA9l5yONMh-aw&s=19

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

CSM posted:

In an alternate timeline, a Prighozin-Furry-FSB triumvirate has taken over the Russian Federation:
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1673803622142836737?t=IHnMUb9O3cA9l5yONMh-aw&s=19

Breaking: Unknown fifth columnists accused of arming Russian furries have eluded capture and are being sought for questioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Dunno if this was posted before, but if it was, my apologies. I just like this breakdown of how things went down this weekend.

https://imgur.com/gallery/dzs5P6C