Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

It's a bit of a sad state of affairs that people would skip movies because "they don't matter". As a goon mentioned higher up that Marvel built a brand that, even if the movie sucks, people will go see it because of how it might tie in to the next movie. It shouldn't matter if a movie counts as in universe or not but rather if the movie is good. DC was actually pretty good at this with movies like The Batman, Joker, Superpets etc not counting towards some big universe shared world continent so could be enjoyed or disliked on their own.
Knowing that Flash doesn't count because Gunn is rebooting the universe shouldn't matter as much as it does but it seems in modern movie making now that is a big driving force.
Think of it rather that people will show up even if they wouldn't otherwise because it might matter for something they do care about. With WB going out of their way to tell everyone "this poo poo is pre-cancelled", nobody's gonna show up because they're interested in Superman or Wonder Woman or Batman or the new DCU. All that's left is the people that care about seeing a Flash movie that looked really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1673785892870447104?s=46&t=vHCQymUfA8QgltN6y1_sjA

Was hoping Emma Mackey would be Lois since I like her on Sex Education. Oh well

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don’t really know the guy but she’s gonna kill it as Lois.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I really like the Brosnahan casting. Is it a thing in the comics that Lois is older?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

live with fruit posted:

I really like the Brosnahan casting. Is it a thing in the comics that Lois is older?

I don't think so explicitly but every origin positions Lois as accomplished journalist opposed to just-moved-from-smallville Clark

hope they get Jimmy right for once

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Brosnahan’s only three years older, so it’s not that big a gap.

She’s gonna be a great Lois, absolutely no clue about the guy though. He’s got the jawline, but Clark is such a tough character to nail right.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I hope Mr. Corenswet has bid his fondest fairwells to bread for the foreseeable.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Brosnahan’s only three years older, so it’s not that big a gap.

She’s gonna be a great Lois, absolutely no clue about the guy though. He’s got the jawline, but Clark is such a tough character to nail right.

I looked it up and Corenswet is older than I thought and Brosnahan younger than I thought.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I hope the superman is good.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

fatherboxx posted:

I don't think so explicitly but every origin positions Lois as accomplished journalist opposed to just-moved-from-smallville Clark

What counts as "right" for modern Jimmy anyway? He's certainly not kid photographer anymore, right?

The last Jimmy Olsen I followed at all was the one from the CW Supergirl show, and the current Superman show doesn't have a Jimmy at all.

I think it's fine to have him, but I don't think he should be a major character, and that doesn't mean blow his brains out either. Maybe he gets the iconic first real photos of Superman in action (though I don't want another origin story). Give me a hook. Give me a reason to like Jimmy.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

What counts as "right" for modern Jimmy anyway? He's certainly not kid photographer anymore, right?

Daily Planet tiktok correspondent :v:

I'd take just comic relief and being superman's best friend with a tendency to turn into mutants.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It was also reported that Alexander and Bill (but not Gustaf I guess) Skarsgard are up for Luthor. I think Alexander would be great. I'm ready for a menacing Lex (not that Bill's not also menacing).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

make the brothers skarsgård fight for it for our amusement

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Arist posted:

make the brothers skarsgård fight for it for our amusement

Bill can play whoever Ned Beatty was.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

live with fruit posted:

It was also reported that Alexander and Bill (but not Gustaf I guess) Skarsgard are up for Luthor. I think Alexander would be great. I'm ready for a menacing Lex (not that Bill's not also menacing).

Alexander was an ace weirdo billionaire on Succession so he would be a great pick.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I saw this clip of Corenswet and was immediately sold on him as Clark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x154LyW52is

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It would be refreshing if Jimmy was just Clark’s new best friend in Metropolis and an equal at the paper instead of some nerdy dweeb or a social media guy.

But then again anything’s an improvement over getting shot in the face for no reason.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like Clark is a nice boy and he deserves two love interests.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like Clark is a nice boy and he deserves two love interests.

Lois and Granny Goodness?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

I would peg Lois as 3-4 years older than Clark, yeah, which makes this pretty dead on.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

live with fruit posted:

The one thing that BvS got right, and I'm so pissed at it for poisoning the well, was reconceptualizing Luthor. "Elon Musk" fits him so much better than his post-Man of Steel (the comic book) "80s corporate raider" persona, which never quite gelled with Lex's evil inventor side. (Vulture capitalists do not create.) Luthor should be a contemporary of Superman, about the same age, which means he needs to start being younger, and what do young evil billionaires look like these days?

And everything about it is just right. He's small-minded and arrogant about it. He's convinced of his rightness about everything, because he's smart in one small area, therefore he's always a super-genius about everything and don't you dare tell him different. He's cruel, both actively if you incur his wrath, and passively if you just have the temerity to exist in ways he does not find pleasing. And there are so many interesting new takes on his classic plots you could do with it! He's not invading Metropolis with killer robots, he's soft-launching a paradigm shift in AI-driven private policing while moving fast and breaking things.That's not an army of brainwashed cyborg slaves, they're Gold X members of leX, the everything app, participating in an experimental hardware initiative -- and what is Superman going to do about it when it turns out that they are in fact volunteers, because Lex has millions of baying fans online begging to lick his boots just for the merest chance of getting to be involved in one of his schemes?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

The one thing that BvS got right, and I'm so pissed at it for poisoning the well, was reconceptualizing Luthor. "Elon Musk" fits him so much better than his post-Man of Steel (the comic book) "80s corporate raider" persona, which never quite gelled with Lex's evil inventor side. (Vulture capitalists do not create.) Luthor should be a contemporary of Superman, about the same age, which means he needs to start being younger, and what do young evil billionaires look like these days?

And everything about it is just right. He's small-minded and arrogant about it. He's convinced of his rightness about everything, because he's smart in one small area, therefore he's always a super-genius about everything and don't you dare tell him different. He's cruel, both actively if you incur his wrath, and passively if you just have the temerity to exist in ways he does not find pleasing. And there are so many interesting new takes on his classic plots you could do with it! He's not invading Metropolis with killer robots, he's soft-launching a paradigm shift in AI-driven private policing while moving fast and breaking things.That's not an army of brainwashed cyborg slaves, they're Gold X members of leX, the everything app, participating in an experimental hardware initiative -- and what is Superman going to do about it when it turns out that they are in fact volunteers, because Lex has millions of baying fans online begging to lick his boots just for the merest chance of getting to be involved in one of his schemes?

They went too on-the-nose casting Eisenberg. Bill Skarsgard sending Holly Hunter piss could be scary but it felt like a prank coming from the guy who actually played Zuckerberg.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was wondering if Corenswet was going to be the tallest Superman at 6'4 but apparently that's the same as Christopher Reeve.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I don't want Luthor to be a send up of Musk because I get enough irritating bullshit Musk news already. Maybe he doesn't need to be based on any specific famous transphobe rear end in a top hat.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Superman & Lois recently introduced their Lex (played by Michael Cudlitz) and he's kind of a darker take on the character as he spent the last 17 years in prison because Bruno Manheim and Onomatopoeia framed him for the murder of a rival crime lord.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CapnAndy posted:

bvs got a long of things right. it's pretty great

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I saw Corenswet in a Ryan Murphy show. He was pretty good in it, despite it being a Ryan Murphy show. It's the new Lois I dunno anything about.

Hope they've signed a clause against being turned into ghoulish waxed pixels post-mortem.

Alternatively, maybe that's a badge of honor now?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

What counts as "right" for modern Jimmy anyway?

A bowtie and a sweatervest, they're both crucial to the character.

I'm only half-kidding

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lmao at the thought that Elon created anything

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lex wasn't Elon, he was Zuckerberg. And I think updating it works well, he started as a regular gangster/thug, has his mad scientist phase, then the tycoon/real estate guy. Tech CEO is a logical choice, unless they want to go Trump with it

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

it's kind of hilarious that the only DC movies I've liked from their shared universe have Black Mask and loving Starro as the villains of all loving people.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Chuckling to myself endlessly at the assertion that Lex should be a genius who creates things, you know, like Elon

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SlimGoodbody posted:

Chuckling to myself endlessly at the assertion that Lex should be a genius who creates things, you know, like Elon

Lex unleashes Bizarro to fight Superman, Bizarro immediately explodes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Lex unleashes Bizarro to fight Superman, Bizarro immediately explodes

Creates Metallo, Metallo accidentally built with two left feet and can only walk in a circle and then melts.

It'd just be that Robocop 2 montage but Superman villains.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

It's the new Lois I dunno anything about.

Obviously the writing has to be there but Brosnahan is like one of the most perfect choices imaginable to embody everything people think of when they think of Lois Lane.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, as soon as I saw she was even in consideration I was like "she would be absolutely perfect" so I hope the writing is there.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

SlimGoodbody posted:

It would be funny if it was revealed that Lex just bought all of his inventions and made them worse

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm in the same camp as other goons that said we don't need Lex to be some kind of commentary or burn on our doofus real-life billionaires. In the same vein as "you can't make an anti-war movie" I feel like when making Lex a satire of Zuckerberg or Musk or Bezos you're actually giving them more credit than they deserve. Faced against someone like Superman those guys would fold faster than... well, Superman on laundry day.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Making Lex an idiot just causes problems when you need him to be a threat to Superman. Suddenly every one else has to be an *even bigger idiot*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Fangz posted:

Making Lex an idiot just causes problems when you need him to be a threat to Superman. Suddenly every one else has to be an *even bigger idiot*.

I agree on a story telling level, but in reality idiots are really the biggest threat aren't they?