Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Feels like that council could really need a Jaiden to along with the Jayden.

Edit: drat it, page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Golden Bee posted:

Devika got out her newspaper cuttings book. She told the despairing typewriter-warriors that aliens were definitely real, and magic too, but nobody really cared. People wanted funny movies about Amazons playing beach volleyball. This, combined with peer pressure, and the promise of food, were enough to be convincing.
Lala told everybody to grab some keys from the office and take trucks back, because she and Maple were gonna be racing back to the city.

"Humanity is completely connected to ancient aliens, but nobody cares because there's more money in CELEBRITY NIP SLIP" is a perfect blend between entirely too goofy and existentially depressing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Glazius posted:

"Humanity is completely connected to ancient aliens, but nobody cares because there's more money in CELEBRITY NIP SLIP" is a perfect blend between entirely too goofy and existentially depressing.

It’s the “whole world outside your window” phenomenon. If you keep juxtaposing the fantastic & the normal world, the fantastic should influence and warp normalcy. You have to choose between “Spider-Man: Ordinary Teenager” and “logical stories about how Reed Richards and Tony Stark brought about a neo-future.”

I think the group has encountered or discovered aliens doing the following:
— being worshiped by ancient Egyptians (although that’s in the module, not how it was run).
— Warring over ancient rockets. (Maude was brainwashed by a faction I didn’t even introduce in my summary because they required three paragraphs to explain.)
—Living on the moon. (Although it could’ve just been a weirdo who created a lizard race).
—Invading New Jersey (which was the most blatant and led to a ticker tape parade, but since it was Devika and two players who left the game, it’s the least canonical).

One of the pregens nobody has selected yet is Zasimo Wilcox, cosmic cowboy, who spent years as the only male on Venus and sold his life rights to Maude’s former Producer, Burt “the Beast” Wilde.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 28, 2023

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Weirder living, underground.
What I did for my summer vacation!
Meet me by the moonlit hedges. Don’t bring any spies.

Today’s session was supposed to be focused on two historical oddities: American fascist summer camps, and “Stonehenge USA”. The players (Simon, Oksana, Javid, and Penny (with a new player) were staff at camp Winnemucca in New Hampshire. They feuded with the counselors of Centro Estivo Cansiglio, and there was a climax at American Stonehenge, with mystical barriers weakened by the Fourth of July fireworks. But the real drama was created by competition day*.

The boys’ camp, CEC, came over. The night before, Oksana had infiltrated the camp and found out it was run by Cadorna, a former Italian general… Italy wanted to study American mysticism and create fascist sympathy in American youth. And to do that, they wanted the spirit stick, a Penobscot artifact held all year by the winning camp.

Not everybody knew this, so Penny An'Te, Hawaiian gambling queen, decided to bet a week’s salary against her own camp. Devika was the head of a girl’s cabin, so Lord Simon, her number one supporter, felt compelled to cheat on her behalf. He asked Javid to help, who sabotaged one of the kayaks.

The players cheated to influence all three of the competitions. Lord Simon stole the list for the scavenger hunt. Lifeguard Penny rescued the kayak team before they sank, and gave them a boost from underwater. Tactician Javid gave the girls advice to win the tug-of-war.

These (and other lies) came out during the group’s night off. Lord Simon lied to the snitch counselor Darlene that he was happy to take her to dance. When she got the wrong idea, he meant to say “I’m not interested in women” but it came out “I would never be with someone who looks like you.” MORE DRAMA. Worse, she was the party’s ride.
Penny yelled at Simon, Oksana reprimanded Penny, and Javid played innocent.

While the rest of the scenario was filled with incident (including Oksana disrupting a ritual site by throwing beer bottles into a sacred slot), player drama is a thing to cherish.

*You know you had an action-packed adventure when you truncate the opening, which was a nature hike interrupted by a bear attack.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 30, 2024

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
The venerable storytelling device of "exit, pursued by bear", good since the 16th century

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Captain Walker posted:

The venerable storytelling device of "exit, pursued by bear", good since the 16th century

I think about this post a lot.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, there is a big difference between the meanings of the words “brie” and “bris.”

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Was playing as a mage in a pretty normal masks game. While fighting techno vampires, we came across a coffee machine that was enraged that “humanoids” could never figure out how to use it and read the manual.
My character answered these complaints by waving her wand and turning it into a civet familiar.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 27, 2023

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

What I did for my summer vacation!
Beignet, Done That! (Adapted from The Heart of Yhtill by Jason Vey.)
Beware the hand that drags you out of the water… When you don’t even know you’re drowning.

New Orleans, August 1935. A low patter of rain drums against the windows of the House of the Rising Sun.
Penelope “Penny” An’Te pulls in a pile of chips. She dragged her buddies Giula "Lala" Santinella and Florence Zee here to show off America’s amazing nightlife. And everything goes fine until Bebe Brossard takes the stage.

Devika and Penelope literally hold Florence back from storming the stage to “join” her biggest musical rival. As Brossard exposes the crowd to the latest and hippest invention, the electric guitar, a bunch of calamities occur. And the session was so action-packed I can only hope to summarize, not retell. Interspersed with action was levity and some of the weirdest drama of the campaign so far.

A disguised waiter shoots a blow dart, accidentally hitting Jake Diamond, private eye. He’s ZOMBIFIED, and only the combined efforts of the characters can keep him down, literally. They toss tables and chairs, anything within arm's reach, until the bouncers can gag and remove the biting deadman. They manage to get the dart, and through their contacts, find out it’s similar to a design by Marie LeVeau, the voodoo queen of New Orleans.

Here are just a sampling of the conflicts:
*Piloting a fan boat into the bayou, and helping the voodoo queen hold off a siege by the grotesque Juillet Family. (Turns out the villains of "Wives of March" aren't as extinct as previously thought!)

At this point, the players return in their muddy eveningwear, trudging through the hotel lobby and arguing about who gets the first access to the shower.
When they wake up, they get good and bad news: the private detective’s companion last night is offering them a lot of money to investigate her missing husband in their stead. The bad news is that a hurricane is hitting the city.

*Next is investigating a creepy southern mansion as the floodwaters rise. Penny, former Hawaiian lifeguard, drops down to a one piece and explores the murky basement with the flashlight. Not a master of investigation, stunt woman Lala just grabs bags and bags of everything. The owner of the house had gone mad looking for Irem of the pillars, the mystical city of Muslim folklore.

The gang rushes to the airport. Before they land, they realize that Saudi Arabia isn’t the greatest place for unaccompanied women…

——
Once they arrive, the players discover an ancient brotherhood trying to prevent anyone from finding Irem. (They discover this by almost getting killed via blow dart.) They spend the gambling winnings ASAP, fueling up for a journey into the desert…But there is one person who wants to meet the players. One of the world’s most famous female directors, and she has a starring role that would be perfect for Lala, who agrees immediately.

As they head out on a two-week desert journey, Lala brags about her newfound fortune. Florence explains who Leni Riefenstahl is.

The desert was filled with action. Impatient Penny refuses to wait for the camel-using Brotherhood.

*The exhausted trio arrives at the semi-ruined city… and is immediately accosted by giant monsters. They just barely evade a roc with a wingspan the size of a school bus. They take cover in a temple, but accidentally awaken its guardian, a flesh worm multiple stories tall.

*The group tricks the guardian into making them a path forward. Inside a library the size of the Chrysler Building, they discover the other half of the guardian… being placated by the Saudi branch of Marches. Unfortunately, their ritual is interrupted. Penny and Florence shoot a gem in the monster’s mouth, and the entire city sinks about ten feet.

*Having prevented catastrophe (sort of), the group returns to the Jeep… only to find the New Orleans husband there, possessed by the previous discoverer of the city.

Then the roc returns. Lala speeds through a sweltering canyon while the others prepare to kill the tourist… except what if they get possessed?
Gambling queen Penny has a stunt that lets her make an immediate empathy check with anyone she wagers with. She reaches into her vest for a pack of cards, and as a giant bird tries to kill everyone, plays a round of Acey Deucy. The Louisianan had the seven of clubs on his forehead… the ice queen of Ka’Aui used the rearview mirror to peek at her own Queen.

She and Florence alternated gunfire and support, eventually separating the man from the evil spirit. They found a cave to hide from the giant bird…Everything was fine.

*Until the train ride to Cairo. One of the waiters, from the brotherhood, tries to assassinate the Louisianan husband. Lala hurls hot soup. Everyone gets to stay on the train though, due to Florence’s coercion. The brotherhood backs off.

At the station, a crowd is gathered to greet Lala. As everyone cheers for Italy’s newest film sensation, she asks Florence to kill her.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 30, 2024

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So, just a small one.

I'm running a D&D game for four kids every Monday evening. Two are mine and two are friends of theirs. (Five characters though - one of the girls is playing both a warlock and her wizard girlfriend. Somehow three of the characters are Tieflings.)

Anyways. Last night they faced two problems.

They solved both of them with arson.

It's like they've been playing D&D for years. I'm so proud.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

So, just a small one.

I'm running a D&D game for four kids every Monday evening. Two are mine and two are friends of theirs. (Five characters though - one of the girls is playing both a warlock and her wizard girlfriend. Somehow three of the characters are Tieflings.)

Anyways. Last night they faced two problems.

They solved both of them with arson.

It's like they've been playing D&D for years. I'm so proud.

Sounds like you've got a solid group, there! :D On that topic, when I started playing with a group of newbies a couple of years ago, we solved our first problem (a sturdy, locked wooden door in a stone dungeon) with arson as well, which made me proud of 'em

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, there is no such spell as Mass Calm Thy Tits.

Otherwise known as "our Cleric accidentally walked into a succubus bar in Sigil..."

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, there is no such spell as Mass Calm Thy Tits.

Otherwise known as "our Cleric accidentally walked into a succubus bar in Sigil..."

There is, however, Group Untwist Thy Knickers. It was invented by my group in Staffordshire circa 1996.

Materials components are a pair of underpants that have never been worn and a lemon wedge.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Playtested a game named Breach!, which is about bureaucrats dealing with cosmic crisises. I played L. Khatri, the office manager, who was so organized that reality warped around him. The highlight was when a technician entered my office complaining of a broken arm and leg, and by asking sarcastic, repetitive probing questions, was able to mend both.

“So it sounds like some minor bruising. Sign here please.”

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Beignet, Done That!
Escape the cursed secret of Ape Island!
The dead love gold as much as anyone else. More.
Penny, Florence, Aldous and Devika were told by the State Department about an odd new island in the Caribbean.

The island was filled with bizarre magic, and ghost pirates from the 1750s. Most notable was how they secured the treasure. Penny gambled all of the party’s jewelry against a chest of gold doubloons and the pirate’s literal silver tongue, burning all her fate points for an ace on the river.

Also notable: the party was attacked by a U-boat with a raised periscope. Mystic orphan Devika, with the help of swim instructor Penny, swam to the sub… And peered down into the periscope.
“The periscope is a series of mirrors, right? So technically I have eye contact.”
One psychic whammy later, and the U-boat veered off course. Not much you can do when the EO is experiencing jaw-dropping terror.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 30, 2024

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In our 19th century-esque gothic Warhammer Fantasy game, my huntsman (whose concept is 'what if Gaston and Belle were the same person' based on his being huge, beautiful, and deeply inquisitive) is doing the FF7 Remake Honeybee Inn scene to try to lure out and help our Morrite priest stop an insane priest of the God of Murder who is standing in for Jack the Ripper.

'Transcend the gender binary to help stop a serial killer' is not quite where I expected our Hams games to end up when I first bought the books but I'm down for it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, a Fire Giant with a potion of Frost Giant Strength is just going through a goth phase, Dad.

It came up on the loot table, and the DM wanted to watch us wrap our heads around it.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, a Fire Giant with a potion of Frost Giant Strength is just going through a goth phase, Dad.

It came up on the loot table, and the DM wanted to watch us wrap our heads around it.

This implies that a Fire Giant with a potion of Fire Giant Strength would be normal. Do you expect to encounter humans with potions of Human Strength, outside of bodybuilders? Is there a Fire Giant somewhere selling Super Giant Vitality, telling all and sundry that wizards are putting chemicals in the water to turn the frogs Fae?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Considering my Warlock is the strongest party member at 12, maybe I should pick up some potions of Orc Strength…

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

CobiWann posted:

Considering my Warlock is the strongest party member at 12, maybe I should pick up some potions of Orc Strength…

A potoin of orc strength is just beer, but in a weighted glass so drinking it is an arm workout

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Maybe he's giving himself a handicap to make it more sporting. Puny humans, I'll make myself as weak as a frost giant so maybe you have a chance.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's a bottle of Giantade Frost. Fulla electrolytes.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Tunicate posted:

It's a bottle of Giantade Frost. Fulla electrolytes.

It's what dryads crave!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

Playtested a game named Breach!, which is about bureaucrats dealing with cosmic crisises.

I also <Love/Enjoy/Ten out of Ten> the video game Control

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Golden Bee posted:

Beignet, Done That!

I missed the name of this adventure and what a wonderful name it is.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Escape the cursed secret of Ape Island!
The Demise of Dr. Enigma! Published by Garnett Elliot.
What evil looks in the heart of men?

Our adventure begins this week in a Baltimore movie palace. Fun fact: eating in the theater was considered unthinkable in the 1920s. The need for more money during the Depression is what brought concession stands into being.

Aldous Bingen, having the aspect “I live to serve”, was put on snack duty…
And found the lobby being robbed by musclemen.
His old so-and-so Big Man Carcetti was leading his “fitness fellowship” on an operation, taking the money from unhealthy screen potatoes.

I thought the players would be excited for a cinema showdown, complete with cardboard standees… but instead, the baddies escaped without a shot fired! Stuntwoman Lala tried to pursue on a motorcycle, but the mobsters escaped on velocipedes, better suited for tricky city streets.

It turns out Baltimore was under a crime wave, all due to the missing adventurer Dr. Enigma! Florence and Penny, who were also with the group, helped figure out the chief culprits. Here’s how each was met and foiled:

Sadiq Khan: The former Red Jasmine acolyte and head of a freakshow was confronted in a hall of mirrors. Players smoked him out with burning garbage, then pummeled him when he escaped. They then smashed the hall of mirrors and rescued his kidnapping victim… Florence’s girlfriend, the reporter Tessie Truman!

Big Man Carcetti: the players were given an open invitation to his gymnasium after not foiling his robbery. Lala’s athletic prowess was so impressive that he made her a gold member for life, and vowed to return the stolen money he hadn’t already reinvested in the gym.

Silver Scarab: The players heard about a criminal bar called the Spoiled Flush. Penny An’Te gambled her way inside, just in time for it to be raided by Feline Fury, a cat-themed antihero. The Hawaiian ice queen argued that she was looking for Dr. Enigma, which was true… But earned a knockout kick to the face.

When she woke up, Penny was informed about a heist going on at the History Museum across town. Aldous burnt rubber to get the gang there, in time to see Silver Scarab’s goons raiding the Egyptology exhibit. Florence yelled “Freeze” loud enough to shock the hardened criminals into momentary compliance. Lala punched one out, and Penny steeled her heart against the intimidating growl of Feline Fury…

Then pulled out a purse pistol and managed to crit, downing six mooks with six bullets. Fury was a fan of the players after that.

A brief Interlude. The repeated absence of Lord Simon had left Devika looking for a parental figure. Over months of adventuring together, Lala was the kindest to her; taking her shopping, feeding her, making sure she brushed her teeth and all that dweeby stuff. Devika rewarded this loyalty by making Lala (who grew up dirt poor in Palermo) her legal guardian. And potential inheritor of millions of dollars, a gold mine, and a jet.

Professor Paradox: The players had strung together a series of clues indicating that Dr. Enigma was secretly heir to the blue anthracite coal fortune. Aldous queried the man’s butler, and using skills he learned from mansion renovations, found a secret passage. Beneath stately Ballard Manor was the Secret Sanctum! In the training room, being tortured in a pharaonic coffin, was Enigma himself!

Florence was the first to notice Professor Paradox, and kept him busy monologuing.
Aldous not only deactivated several deadly booby traps, he managed to free Ballard from the locked container. Just in time too, as a saw blade trap nearly split the city’s protector in twain! Penny’s Annie Oakley streak was over, as the professor fled through a secret passage after barely being grazed.

Still, a massive win for Baltimore. In the dénouement, Ballard suggested a big donation to charity in the player’s names…an anonymous one, of course. Maybe that new gym? OK, if not that… Actually, what groups was he already donating to? Would it be too much for them to share dinner? Had the players had a chance to check out the beach?

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 30, 2024

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Golden Bee posted:

Sadiq Khan: the former Red Jasmine acolyte and head of a freakshow was confronted in a hall of mirrors. Players smoked him out with burning garbage, then pummeled him when he escaped. They then smashed the hall of mirrors and rescued his kidnapping victim… Florence’s girlfriend, the reporter Tessie Truman!

But he returned for his most dastardly plot yet - mildly restricting traffic to control emissions!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

Then pulled out a purse pistol and managed to crit, downing six mooks with six bullets.

Dee-licious. A shamefully rare occurrence in a tabletop game, too; I can't think of any others that let it happen with any regularity. Though if CRPGs count, you can do it in classic Fallout, even to squads in power armor...

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Today on Mothership: The PCs achieved not only the illustrious TPK, but a total module kill. 13 PCs and NPCs combined, every single one dead. (They were meant to be protecting these people.)

One PC managed to last long enough to melt into a pile of goo in his debriefing.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 30, 2023

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Anyway, this game is absolutely stupid as hell but we are all playing it straight and it's the most fun I've ever had DMing.

Here is a map of Brome, capital of Brohemia:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I’m playing in a Shadowrun game that’s very pirate-themed. As in, the very first adventure had us betrayed by a Johnson, whereupon we stole a luxury yacht to escape LA, added some guns, and have been trawling the high seas for lucrative cargo to steal/sell ever since.

In last week’s session a competing pirate outfit sought to board us using mini-subs. They were not expecting us to use our aftermarket cargo crane to bodily pluck one of the subs from the water and then force open the hatch.

Rather than shoot the people inside (that wouldn’t be sporting), I had a high-force Spirit of Beasts manifest as a giant orca (think Shamu) and use its Noxious Breath ability, which I described as vomiting a truly horrendous spray of sea-offal inside the cramped vehicle.

The would-be raiders abandoned ship—hopefully they were picked up by their friends, eventually—and we continued on our way. We tried to sell the newly-acquired mini-sub, but no matter how well we cleaned it there was still a terrible rotting fish smell that no potential buyer wanted to go near.

Hopefully our mechanic can still use (untainted) parts of the sub to improve our general yachting experience.

Shadowrun!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

The Demise of Dr. Enigma! Published by Garnett Elliot.
Great moments with…
The Civil War was still deadly, 70 years later.
Reenactments can be a lot of fun. Unless the other side has live ammo.

That was the problem facing Aldous, Javid (and to a lesser extent Penny, using her lifeguard experience in the nurses’ tent). The union had cannonballs, and after nearly being exploded, Javid returned fire with his equally real sniper rifle, destroying the cannon’s supports. Penny rushed over, having removed musket fragments from a soldier… took the Afghan’s rifle, and used the scope. She spotted a familar black commanding "officer", demanding the union reload the cannons. Penny shot the officer in the arm, and he was arrested in the fracas.

Aldous, who had a light touch among the common man, was granted access to the prisoner’s tent. He confirmed Penny's suspicion: this man was one of Professor Paradox’s cronies! Paradox had invited the party to the reenactment, hoping to have them slain “accidentally”. The butler stoically absorbed the criminal’s abuse, getting him to admit the next part of the scheme would happen in Washington DC!
The group hurried to the station, boarding seconds before the train left. Still dressed as a nurse, Penny found a poker game...and spent the entire ride tossing cards with other passengers. Javid Kulfi and Aldous Bingen, being Afghan and Argentine respectively, had an advantage… they, like the Paradox Gang, were forced to ride in segregated cars. Javid furnished a distraction, telling old Afghan stories extremely loudly. Aldous made his way through the cabin like it was a Hollywood coat check, discreetly checking pockets and finding something odd.
One of Paradox’s lieutenants had schematics for metal braces controlled by radio waves, that could be attached to a statue… Javid looked them over, adding that they'd work on a sitting statue.

At the train station, Penny changed into something more comfortable. (As a Hawaiian in a DC winter, that meant multiple layers of everything.) Aldous hailed a taxi to the suspected crime scene… The Lincoln Memorial!

The statue of Lincoln was already causing havoc. The taxi driver fled. Penny taunted the statue with small arms fire, Aldous took the wheel, and Javid spotted Lincoln’s controller… Professor Paradox, perched on the Washington Monument!

Javid raced to the Washington Monument, where his old rival Gregory Goyle was arguing with an attendant. How dare they close a public monument? “Don’t you know who he is?” yelled the Afghan sniper, earning a laugh.
Yes, the Grey Gargoyle was in Washington, and willing to help foil the 16th president’s rampage!

Meanwhile, Aldous and Penny drove like maniacs. They had to keep the jogging statue distracted without having their ride ripped into pieces, a formidable challenge!
---
A group of minions waited at the top of the memorial. Javid convinced the Gargoyle to take them on… and climbed to the very top. The Afghan anti-fascist was greeted by Professor Paradox, who met him not with violence, but with words.
Javid was a victim of America! He had saved the country but was forced to ride in the inferior sections. New York police had hassled him for trying to save lives in The Battery. Wouldn’t he like to take revenge on that nation, with the help of the man who freed slaves only as a military tactic?

[At this point, Javid's player tried making a big speech, until I told him he didn’t have any fate points to resist a compel on his aspect “against all tyrants!”]
Javid, with a grin, began piloting the marble behemoth towards the Jefferson Memorial.

Penny An’te, a colonial citizen of the US, was flummoxed. She suspected that Javid was in control. It was only with the greatest reluctance that she began to shoot Lincoln’s external motors, sending it crashing face-first to the ground, crunching through the cherry trees. Paradox escaped.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 29, 2024

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Golden Bee posted:

At this point, Javid's player tried making a big speech, until I told him he didn’t have any fate points to resist a compel on his aspect “against all tyrants!”

:allears:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Great moments with…
Ce n'est pas un bâton!
I put a spell on you.

Paris in the spring. The party (Devika, Penny, Florence Zee and Aldous) are dining with Aldous’s sister Bea, before an evening magic show. It’s a fun conversation, with Bea teasing her stoic younger brother. Apparently he was quite a wildcard in Argentina, before becoming a fussy butler.
Outside the magic show, the Enigmatic Illusionist is overshadowed by Florence, who steals the press’s attention. Her wit and beauty completely enchant not only the paparazzi, but the city of Paris as a whole. No hard feelings, EI?

During the show, the EI responds by magically draining Florence’s beauty. The magician is real, with his powers emanating from his magical baton. He transforms Florence back (leaving her with a wart on her nose), but completely disappears Bea, then ends the show!

While Devika was shaving and bandaging Florence’s nose, Aldous sneaks backstage. The stage mage has disappeared, but someone saw him get into a blue model T. Time for a car chase!

The Magician has the lead, but Florence pulls out a roadmap and asks passersby if they’ve seen the vehicle. She’s beloved by the city, so they point the group in the right direction and ask about her damaged nose.
---
Aldous stomped the accelerator, careening around backstreets. Penny tried shooting the model T’s tires, which only drew police attention. Devika, who had rented the car, went through the manual and pointed out that the hydraulic brakes. Aldous used to this to cut off the enemy vehicle, disabling it and sending it toward a nearby apartment building.

Unfortunately, this building was filled with magical distortions! Workmen carried ‘invisible’ objects, fake soldiers patrolled, and distances were unjudgable. Only Devika, opening her third eye, was able to navigate to the Mage’s apartment. To the others, it looked like a darkened cave… but the mystic orphan was able to find the Illusionist’s diary. As a sophisticate, she also spoke French, translating it…allegedly, their enemy was hundreds of years old!

The group proceeded to the basement. Despite being a normal building outside, the descent took hours. Each landing featured the Enigmatic One as the hero of history: Consulting with the Wright brothers, telling Columbus the Earth was round (which infuriated Devika: “I’ll show you a path to India!"), helping storm the Bastille… it was altogether ridiculous. And when the group finally reached the basement, there were four Illusionists, not one!
Florence began attacking the kidnapper’s mind, pointing out flaws in his history and claiming to be a judgmental time lord. Penny intentionally flubbed a card trick to deduce his powers… -everything- came from the Rod of Illusion! Devi called upon her powers as the ex-goddess of the Red Jasmine cult, showing herself to be the superior mesmerist. Each winning argument got rid of a false duplicate, but Penny was growing frustrated, and was eager to solve a conundrum with her pistol.

Luckily, Aldous slinked off, braving the basement and finding out his sister was one of the duplicates! He undid her mystic chains, revealing the ruse and allowing the group the pummel the scheming sorcerer.

But there was a twist! The Baton of Power flew away, back to the theater, with our heroes in desperate pursuit. It immediately tried to corrupt another person, turning a security guard into a tyrant. Penny managed to shoot the Rod out of the man’s hand, causing a blackout… and Devika Velyapur, mystic brat, was the one who ended up with it!
The artifact, impressed with her willpower, promised to make her a collaborator in world conquest. She wondered if the Rod would be willing to work with Gandhi to end British control of India.

[Of course, Florence compelled Devika’s “Everyone’s Bestie” aspect to get her to spill.]
The group hatched a scheme, planning to destroy the evil artifact in a Hawaiian volcano. It tried to mind control Florence at the last moment, but her vanity prevailed. She wasn’t willing to play second fiddle to a hunk of metal, and although the staff was powerful, she was a torch singer. Torches got set on fire.

The group retreated to the beach, ordering fruity drinks and feeling the very real sand beneath their feet. Now, did Bea have any more stories about young Aldous?

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 29, 2024

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hundreds of years old... I wonder if that was the baton writing the diary, and not the man.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, my Warforged Wizard needs guild certification before I can cast Summon Forklift.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, my Warforged Wizard needs guild certification before I can cast Summon Forklift.

Well they're right, just remember Klaus.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CobiWann posted:

Don't forget to use the metamagic feet: HSE* lift truck* certification*.

*HSE = British OSHA
*lift truck = forklift
*certification = certification

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Our 7th Sea game presently has us investigating the disappearance of some hunters on the Ussuran steppe. Die Kreuzritter received the tip and suspects Syrneth involvement, so they sent us to check it out.

When we arrive at the site of the disappearances, we find a group of Explorer's Society researchers. ES and DK have an oppositional relationship in 7th Sea. ES are, at their best, like Indiana Jones. At their worst, they are like Indy's enemies. Basically, they are searching for Syrneth (alien) artifacts, and Die Krezritter is trying to keep them out of anyone's hands because of the danger they represent.

So this is a problem.

We're 7th Sea heroes, so we can't just kill all these clowns and still be PCs when we are done. We have to either cooperate with the Explorers, or circumvent them somehow. Our resident scholar, an older Vendel woman, was married to an ES guy before he died, so she kind of talks their talk. She introduces our group as a sort of off-brand explorer group. This is going to set them on edge a little bit, but much less so than if we're like, "we're from a cryptic order of knights hell-bent on keeping you out of this dig site. Roll initiative." My Vesten/Ussuran huntress is introduced as our group's hired local guide to match their own. Our Ussuran noble sorceress is introduced as the group's patron, and our Aegean meathead and Vesten whaler are introduced as the bodyguards. All fo these roles match someone within their group, so all of this is plausible to them.

We get into interacting with them and the GM's challenge slowly reveals itself. Each member of the ES gang has a different motive, and are adverse to different things. After a lot of social interactions and skill checks, we learn:

The ES patron does not care about danger but will be chased off if there is nothing of monetary value at the site.
The ES lead researcher wants to do research but is the most adverse to danger.
The ES assistant researcher isn't afraid of danger but wants to quit the site if the weather turns lovely.
The two ES shield men actively want to face danger and want to leave if there isn't anything to stab. They do not care about artifacts or research.

There's something like a logic puzzle here, where we have to feed these people the right information to chase them off, but without each of them learnign the wrong information to incentivize them to stay. The GM loves logic puzzles and this was was really well written and executed using the game's social mechanics.

So my huntress used her Flora skill to cook up a laxative stew to share with both groups, and our Vendel used her Compounds skill to cook up a constipation agent to give to our group ahead of eating the stew. We simply walked into the ruins under the dig site in plain sight of the ES crew while they all shat their brains out.

:smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

I never heard "give the fox a laxative" as a solution to the river crossing puzzle before.