Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

El Padrino posted:

I don't see why it would be different in the US but Mexican church membership fee entitles you to 2 cards whenever you renew membership and up to 3 additional cards at around 14 bux each

US and Canada are a unified block, but Mexico and other foreign markets are more autonomous and have some leeway to make up their own rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

priznat posted:

Yeah but those are apparently a flop (and none around me)

IBM had a commercial on this stuff back in the 90s ffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzFhBGKU6HA

I'm not sure if I'd call it nostalgia, because it isn't really pleasant, but I remember that drat commercial.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Nostalgia originally meant something like "homesickness" as in Odysseus missing his family and estate. Pain is an integral part of the feeling

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Smugworth posted:

My uncle went to Sam's club and said behind the butcher section the kitchen was full of pigeons flying around and feathers and bird crap were everywhere and the butcher's were running around with fishing nets trying to catch the birds and there was a big sale of rotisserie chickens $3 each

Mrs. Krabappel and Principal Skinner were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and the baby looked at me.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got two different pair of jeans last time I went there. Both the exact same measurements but different brands. 36x32 or something. One pair, the legs were about 4-6" longer lol.

I got these polos for work that pretty cheap, and 2 of them were 100% cotton, and one was a poly blend, and the cotton ones shrank a bit and seem to wrinkle easier. All the same brand, just different colors. Just a bizarre store at times.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
the pain

https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1673383413733007361/photo/1

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That does hurt, drat

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
where are the shells

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023

Chinatown posted:

where are the shells

they sold em without shells, hence the issue

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

what the shell?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

Nostalgia originally meant something like "homesickness" as in Odysseus missing his family and estate. Pain is an integral part of the feeling

It is incredibly annoying to me that the popular definition has shifted to 'fond childhood familiarity'.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

schreibs posted:

what the shell?

The crunchy part that your family picks out of the omelettes you make them.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

You know people will buy that, right?

Case in point, look at what those jerks tricked me into buying:

“Hey, this’ll be easy, my kid can just toss it in the air fryer or whatever.”

:wrong:

That print in the bottom left would go on to crush my dreams. No, it’s literally just some of the ingredients in a box - a sack of apparently pre-cooked chicken, a bag of bread crumbs, and a sauce packet. Caveat emptor etc., etc., it was one of the only times Costco has betrayed me.

We bought one too, didn't realize it requires us to saute it. As you said, that completely ruins the entire point of premade food if I can't just toss it in the oven to warm up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

pencilhands posted:

home depot is the worst offender i swear they make it as hard to find the one open non self checkout as possible i always make sure i go there even if i only have one thing to buy just to spite them

loving Home Depot:

- at one point (hopefully no longer) offered checkout with PayPal accounts, god help you if you were in line behind someone logging in with that

- gives a military discount, yet you can only access it with a QR code generated from the Home Depot phone app, which requires internet access, except all Home Depots are loving smartphone Faraday cages and their wifi is dialup-tier so good luck with that

- the only loving store left in the world that hasn't upgraded their POS to card/phone RFID tap. You have to insert a credit card.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Zero VGS posted:

- the only loving store left in the world that hasn't upgraded their POS to card/phone RFID tap. You have to insert a credit card.

their card readers support it, but they have gone out of their way to disable it. lol.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Whatever happened to the better version of pizza rolls the 'Co used to have?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

loving Home Depot:

- at one point (hopefully no longer) offered checkout with PayPal accounts, god help you if you were in line behind someone logging in with that

- gives a military discount, yet you can only access it with a QR code generated from the Home Depot phone app, which requires internet access, except all Home Depots are loving smartphone Faraday cages and their wifi is dialup-tier so good luck with that

i see your valid points about home depot and raise you lowes. possibly the worst store on earth that i still visit frequently due to sheer convenience

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Home Depot discount is tied to your phone or email now. It’s just id.me account thing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Coredump posted:

Whatever happened to the better version of pizza rolls the 'Co used to have?

Been gone for a long while, replaced them with Totinos for a hot minute, then some weird pepperoni pocket things that were larger than the rolls but smaller than hot pockets and now, mine doesn't have anything close besides bagel bites.

poo poo sucks out there but I probably shouldn't have been eating so many of them anyway.

Home Depot are huge chuds too if that means anything.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

thathonkey posted:

i see your valid points about home depot and raise you lowes. possibly the worst store on earth that i still visit frequently due to sheer convenience

And my wife wants me to go to Lowes. On any given day either of the stores wouldn't have the thing I needed and I end up at both, thankfully they're next door so it's not far out of my way. Also they each have exclusive deals with various brands so I get stuck no matter what. My bathroom used all schluter material, so that meant Lowe's or floor and decor.

At least Lowes has scanner guns! Even if they're corded. Costco plz!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Them, Lowes, and Walmart. I avoid all three as much as I can, and surprise, those are also the three stores around here that lean hardest into "self checkout is the only checkout" bullshit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Them, Lowes, and Walmart. I avoid all three as much as I can, and surprise, those are also the three stores around here that lean hardest into "self checkout is the only checkout" bullshit.

I'm looking it up and Walmart disables it to try to get people to only use "WalMart Pay" as their contactless method.

But why the gently caress does Home Depot block it? Do vendors charge them more of a transaction fee than with chip insertion?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

IOwnCalculus posted:

What loving senator do we need to bribe to mandate tap-to-pay at this point?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Zero VGS posted:

But why the gently caress does Home Depot block it?

Big finance antifa brain scanners

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

thathonkey posted:

Same, but I think the Lowe's owners are SLIGHTLY less of a bunch of CHUDs than HD owners? Also, To get my partner's military discount at Lowe's I just input her phone #, HD insists on scanning the military ID every time...but it's hers, not mine, so that doesn't work as well if she's not with me.

And I don't feel I'm scamming Lowe's, they ALLOWED us to attach her Veteran's Discount to my Lowe's account, knowing I'm not a veteran, so that's on them!

But yeah, anytime I go, there is often ONLY the self-checkout lanes open, no real one.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Only shopping at stores where the owners are the good guys, like me!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Like Costco

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DrBouvenstein posted:

Same, but I think the Lowe's owners are SLIGHTLY less of a bunch of CHUDs than HD owners? Also, To get my partner's military discount at Lowe's I just input her phone #, HD insists on scanning the military ID every time...but it's hers, not mine, so that doesn't work as well if she's not with me.

And I don't feel I'm scamming Lowe's, they ALLOWED us to attach her Veteran's Discount to my Lowe's account, knowing I'm not a veteran, so that's on them!

But yeah, anytime I go, there is often ONLY the self-checkout lanes open, no real one.

:same:

I just give them my phone number and my discount is on my account. They rarely ask for my ID.

And I've also heard they're less chuddy than Home Depot, as much as that's worth.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

When is Costco going to start selling chili crisp oil by the gallon

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Lowes 10% discount is easier to use, but the flipside is that they're roughly 5-10% more expensive than HD on everything they sell. I buy a LOT of stuff from both.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ACE Hardware Supremacy.

gently caress the big boxes.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
My HD story is that I recently needed to make a lumber order, which I had never done before, and I was told to go to the Pro Desk. So I went to the Pro Desk and it was empty, and I asked an employee and they said it's usually closed that day but they'd call someone to send over, which was very cool of them. Ten minutes later a guy shows up only to tell me that the Pro Desk is closed that day. Awesome, thank you.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Chinatown posted:

ACE Hardware Supremacy.

Oh Hells yeah, Lowe's and HD aren't sending me random $5 off $20 coupons in the main, or just random $5 reward bucks. I assume I get $5 for every $100 I spend, so that's sort of like a blanket 5% off all day, every day. Not counting the aforementioned coupons for like $3 of $15, $5 off $20, etc...

PLUS, the one near me finally brought the popcorn machine back, so free lunch, too!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i cant speak to the ownership of home depot vs lowes but at the lowes by me they do have like 8 spots in their parking lot reserved for veterans.

the only reason i think home depot is marginally better is because they have people there who stand a chance of maybe helping you. some of them even have general knowledge of the products they sell and if youre lucky, they may even be able to give you tips on how to use those products.

at lowes the few employees that are at the store openly despise and avoid all forms of customer interaction (i mean ... fair). the employees dont even seem to want to help each other. last time i was at lowes for maybe 20 minutes looking at plants literally the entire time some poor employee was calling for a manager, any manager, over the intercom with increasingly desperate pleas of "customer is waiting!"

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

thathonkey posted:

at lowes the few employees that are at the store openly despise and avoid all forms of customer interaction (i mean ... fair).

This doesn't match my experience at any of the lowes and HDs in my area. They are basically the same = soulless big box hardware stores with some friendly and some unfriendly folks at various levels of helpfulness.

I actively dislike Lowe's newish account bullshit. I don't want to have to give you my phone number to log in to my account to get my discounts. Just let me flash my ID and have the cashier give it to me. HD still lets me do that.

Costco rules.

Jim Cramer
Sep 18, 2009

Chinatown posted:

ACE Hardware Supremacy.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

thathonkey posted:

at lowes the few employees that are at the store openly despise and avoid all forms of customer interaction (i mean ... fair). the employees dont even seem to want to help each other. last time i was at lowes for maybe 20 minutes looking at plants literally the entire time some poor employee was calling for a manager, any manager, over the intercom with increasingly desperate pleas of "customer is waiting!"

Absolutely just about every Lowes experience for me (one time had a really helpful old guy in paint). I've spent upwards of 30 minutes just waiting for someone to show up in whatever department I need help from.

Lowes is staffed by the most apathetic, unhelpful, young (hate to say that poo poo) staff of any retail store I've ever had the misfortune of shopping at. Yeah, nobody gives a gently caress at walmart or target, but that's OK, I don't need your knowledge or help there. I just need you to authorize this transaction so I'm not stealing this poo poo.

Home depot is about as bad, but at least there are 20 individuals on shift at home depot. Lowes has maybe 8 people on staff at any given time. 2 people at returns, 1 on (self) checkout, 2 in garden, and everyone else scattered to the 4 winds. But where I am it's either Lowes halfway across town, Menards a little further away, but construction and a bad parking lot keep me away, Home Depot about 30 minutes away, or Ace. My Ace is close, and new, and well staffed. Unfortunately, it is missing some of the selection of a big box some store. No lumber for example.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
20 staff on the floor at HD just means 20 people to actively flee from you when you need help.

Chinatown posted:

ACE Hardware Supremacy.

Most ACE stuff is like double the price of anywhere else, but I will say they've done great with copying obscure non-chip car keys lately.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Lowe’s tries too hard. “Oh look, our store is well lit.” “Oh look, our shelves are well stocked.” “Oh look, we lock up expensive items in modular manufactured cages.” “Oh look, our staff still have hopes and dreams that you haven’t yet crushed.”

Meanwhile, over at Home Depot, the store is lit exclusively by the display models in the lighting department, the shelves look like looters have hit them, expensive items are locked away behind chicken wire and 2x4s zip-tied to the shelving, and the staff are so thankful when you treat them like human beings that they’ll give you their discretionary discount.

ACE is great but dances dangerously close to being the Whole Foods of hardware stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Something about Home Depot triggers my bowels and I always gotta crap immediately upon entering but the bathrooms are way the hell on the opposite side of the store from the entrance