Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

which part? [...]

The part where Serini's an experienced negotiator and mediator with loads of experience of getting through to monsters who are otherwise KOS by the PC races.

She's not gonna be the one to get through to Redcloak, but she seems like the best possible candidate to learn from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Serini can't possibly be anything other than Chaotic Good or Neutral Good.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Also good to know they can throw in Redcloak's face he's been treating other sapient monsters exactly as shittily as the PC races have been treating goblins.

Not that I'm sure Redcloak's capable of feeling such shame at this point, but hey.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

He's still capable of feeling anger

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Baby Sunny is very :3:

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

mmkay posted:

Baby Sunny is very :3:

Life sized plushie when can we have it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeebus bob posted:

Life sized plushie when can we have it

A lawyer at WotC just started salivating and doesn't know why.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

habeasdorkus posted:

Serini can't possibly be anything other than Chaotic Good or Neutral Good.
I think she started out as True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral, but her recent experiences turned her into a very unusual sort of Chaotic Good.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

girl dick energy posted:

I think she started out as True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral, but her recent experiences turned her into a very unusual sort of Chaotic Good.

Given that the first we know of her was her involvement in a selfless, epic quest to save the world, it's hard to see how she's ever been not-Good.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Tree Reformat posted:

Also good to know they can throw in Redcloak's face he's been treating other sapient monsters exactly as shittily as the PC races have been treating goblins.

Not that I'm sure Redcloak's capable of feeling such shame at this point, but hey.

He did have a bit of that during an assault on one of the cities. He was just throwing lives away on frontal assaults and realized how lovely he was being, though that wasn't monsters but was just different kinds of goblins.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Vizuyos posted:

Given that the first we know of her was her involvement in a selfless, epic quest to save the world, it's hard to see how she's ever been not-Good.

Belkar was also involved in a selfless, epic quest to save the world.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Serini's the one who was all about friendship on the crayon pages, and didn't read as anything but good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Serini's the one who was all about friendship on the crayon pages, and didn't read as anything but good.

I actually agree with you but isn't part of the point of the crayon pages is that they are not inherently accurate/true?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I've never considered that regarding the order's relationship, only the story and myth. Don't think that's how you're supposed to read it, but possibly?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Bongo Bill posted:

Belkar was also involved in a selfless, epic quest to save the world.

Belkar is involved in an epic quest to troll anyone who annoyed him and murder anyone who pissed him off. Until recently, the world-saving wasn't really his concern.

He barely even knew about the world-saving bit until this chapter. While everyone else was getting the "saving the world" thing explained to them, he was occupied with trying to annoy Miko to death or de-paladinization. After that, he apparently didn't give enough of a poo poo to ask about why they were chasing the Gates until the trip to the North Pole (by which point his reformation was fairly well along).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ImpAtom posted:

I actually agree with you but isn't part of the point of the crayon pages is that they are not inherently accurate/true?

That's never explicitly stated, but it's been my headcanon for a while now. My take is that any crayon page is either an outright fabrication, or a story that's been dulled so heavily by the march of time that it only barely resembles the reality.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think it's more of a case of "Unreliable Narrativium". They're not necessarily *false* but we should have a pinch of salt on hand.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

THE BAR posted:

But that's before Kraagor's death and everyone becoming hyper suspecting of the other members.

She always has been chaotic good, which is why she wouldn't just kill her prisoners but make amnesia potion for them.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 27, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think it's more of a case of "Unreliable Narrativium". They're not necessarily *false* but we should have a pinch of salt on hand.

I've generally taken them to be completely honest in that they aren't lying, but only partially true because each one is someone's interpretation and is going to be influenced by how they fill in all the things they don't know

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I think Rich might be making up the entire story

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Death to of the author!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Note this old post from The Giant, back when he participated in his own forum.

quote:

[snip]

The events of Start of Darkness are not a narrative being told by Redcloak, except for the crayon pages (which totally are). You are right, your friend is wrong. Everything you see happened.

[snip]

Of course, while Redcloak is not narrating the scene, it is shown mostly from his perspective; we don't see how many Detect Evils were used before the attack started

[snip]

The crayon pages are something being told by a character in-story rather than the usual Omniscient Narrator. If the panels are not crayon, then everything shown happens exactly in the way it appears (though they don't show everything depending on where the camera is pointed). In crayon, there's somebody telling the story who can interject their own biases, interpretations, etc.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gnoman posted:

In crayon, there's somebody telling the story who can interject their own biases, interpretations, etc.

The crayon author is Sunny.

Also the gold dragon with purple wings from that page appears to be Urdook in the most recent update.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

The crayon author is Sunny.

Also the gold dragon with purple wings from that page appears to be Urdook in the most recent update.

Not Urdook, just a dragon of the same type. Kraagor is in that drawing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Nenonen posted:

which is why she wouldn't just kill her prisoners but make amnesia potion for them.

That always struck me as less a moral position and more a practical concern. If you kill the people who come to scout out the gate, the people who sent them will eventually notice that they never returned, then potentially send a larger force to avenge them or whatever. By using an amnesia potion, Serini can encourage the scouts to return to whoever sent them packing a "all's clear, Boss, nothin' there" report, thus reducing or eliminating pressure from that lord or polity on her reality linchpin.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nenonen posted:

it was actually revealed to him in a dream

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh it's actually a historical piece, eventually they fail and the stickverse is destroyed and the gods decide to roll another low-magic all-human setting.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vizuyos posted:

Belkar is involved in an epic quest to troll anyone who annoyed him and murder anyone who pissed him off. Until recently, the world-saving wasn't really his concern.

He barely even knew about the world-saving bit until this chapter. While everyone else was getting the "saving the world" thing explained to them, he was occupied with trying to annoy Miko to death or de-paladinization. After that, he apparently didn't give enough of a poo poo to ask about why they were chasing the Gates until the trip to the North Pole (by which point his reformation was fairly well along).

Mind, he achieved both those things, which in my book makes him by the most successful member of the Order.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Belkar's character arc will be complete when he is reminded of Miko's ultimate fate and feels sort of bad about it.

Then he'll die.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh it's actually a historical piece, eventually they fail and the stickverse is destroyed and the gods decide to roll another low-magic all-human setting.

In fact, the comic is just a translation of the Red Book of West Despotonia. Interesting, the comics are all from the original work, but the delay is due to translating the humor from the original Despotic dialects to English.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Belkar's character arc will be complete when he is reminded of Miko's ultimate fate and feels sort of bad about it.

Then he'll die.

Miko is responsible for everything that happened to her. Belkar just kinda nudged her along.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Shugojin posted:

I've generally taken them to be completely honest in that they aren't lying, but only partially true because each one is someone's interpretation and is going to be influenced by how they fill in all the things they don't know

It's true, from a certain point of view

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gynovore posted:

Miko is responsible for everything that happened to her. Belkar just kinda nudged her along.

He would absolutely have taken credit for it

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

He would absolutely have taken credit for it

He didn’t take credit for it, though. He even stabbed an oracle over the fact that he didn’t cause it!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Older, more enlightened belkar will appreciate that the self righteous jerk paladin was the source of her own failure

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Serini is Good because she traded the trolls for their blood instead of just killing them, treating them like equals.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1227.html

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

The X-man cometh posted:

Serini is Good because she traded the trolls for their blood instead of just killing them, treating them like equals.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1227.html

and the paladins who slaughtered Redcloak's friends and family are also Good because they did that thing

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Shugojin posted:

Older, more enlightened belkar will appreciate that the self righteous jerk paladin was the source of her own failure

She did have a crisis of faith because the Order and her superiors protected him from her "justice."

But yeah, Miko's own flaws did the lion share of the work.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Saraiguma posted:

and the paladins who slaughtered Redcloak's friends and family are also Good because they did that thing

I think Rich said that some of the Paladins who attacked Redcloak's village fell (albeit in a less visible way than Miko did).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The concept of transcendental good and evil remains unsettling and difficult to grapple with.

Especially coupled with Gods who clearly have human flaws being the arbiters of it.

Was Miko's act evil because the 12 gods say so, or did they say so because it was evil? That's a legitimate in-universe question to ask.

On the flip side, the presence of detect good and detect evil give the potential for methodological empirical ethics. "When the lab assistant fed rat A twice as much as they then fed rat B, their evil level rose 1.6 nanohitlers compared to the control assistant who fed both rats the lesser amount"