Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Node posted:

Is there a problem with sea events? Most of the time when I enter one, the game crashes to desktop. If I try again, it works, but then crashes after the battle is won.

There is a specific one that causes CTD, but you never know if you get that one or one of the working events. There is a problem with almost everything in the game really, right now.

The ctd after battle is a separate bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

RVT posted:

What is the contact effect desync?
It's a bug where a unit on your screen can have for example the flammable contact effect, and on your MP buddy's screen the poison contact effect. When that unit then fights something in a battle and an effect has to be applied to the something, the game will crash because it doesn't know what effect should be happening.

That bug seems to happen mostly with Imrik, I think? Specifically when you combine his Star Lance ability with something that gives him another contact effect (for example Ghorst's defeat trait).

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 23, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Yesterday was the first day of summer, which means we’re getting an announcement of the new DLC any second now…

looking somberly at the gravestone of Total Warhammer 3 dead game...

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Node posted:

Its almost every time in my case. The only mod I have is the one that lets you recruit defeated legendary lords, and I guess there is some chance that it's causing things to screw up, but I don't see how sea events and that mod are related. I like exploring mysterious islands, drat it!

Have you tried turning it off and doing sea battles on a new save?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Mods with any kind of scripting are the biggest desync culprits, right? Recruit Defeated LLs can’t possibly be safe with simultaneous turns.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Started a Grimgor game and it seems like it's going alright. Secured starting province, then got a Waagh going and krumped Kholek. The southernmost settlement is a spot where Cathay caravans stop within range of the garrison so I'm using it as a training ground for backup lords/heroes. But now I'm targeting my second Waagh and picked Ghorth's faction since I thought of could take him and wanted the "biggest waagh" trophy, while Astragoth was only number 11 in size so didn't qualify. I don't think I bit off more than I can chew especially since Archaeon just rolled up from the north, but we will see

If I take Zharr-Naggrund do Chorf caravans stop spawning?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Scratch one very obnoxious achievement.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Shumagorath posted:

Mods with any kind of scripting are the biggest desync culprits, right? Recruit Defeated LLs can’t possibly be safe with simultaneous turns.

yes in general.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I'm about to declare my Rakarth-island-times playthrough Complete. I've taken the entire donut (I ended up getting all of the southern wastes, and almost all of Lustria, along the way), and now it's just been half a dozen turns of chasing Imrik, who somehow took some but not all of the badlands mountains provinces, around corners on the world map over and over again. Why are your settlements alternating with dwarf settlements, dragon elf?

Overall: 10/10 way to play what always felt like a 3/10 campaign, you get two Victorious Homecoming feelings between landing on Lustria at the Citadel of Dusk to clear the continent fully south-to-north, then later reaching the donut with a fleet of black arks and stacks that become doomstacks from all the black dragons you get. Very strong recommend if you wanted to play Rakarth but get tired of slogging through the jungle fighting your own personal ordertide from turn one.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm kind of surprised there isn't a mod that starts you in the high elf islands, since the elves-as-naval-power thing seems common on the workshop. You've got both the Sea Helm/Cothique mod which is pretty cool and the Citadel of Dusk OvN faction mod, though that does seem buggy. It feels like an empty niche.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I'm still playing WH2 but giants need some sort of buff, some sort of differentiation between factions. Give the norsca giant strider and movement speed, the chaos giant some armor, etc.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't know if the buffs happened in WH2 already, but in WH3 they aren't as terrible as they used to be after lots of stat buffs and 15% missile resist, generic still yes, but Festus loves his giants with how much healing Nurgle can put out to keep them active (I think they are the only one with access to giants and healing magic)

In fact, Nurgle even gets a unique giant with a unique attack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Wmpz_aFRE

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 24, 2023

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I'm about to declare my Rakarth-island-times playthrough Complete. I've taken the entire donut (I ended up getting all of the southern wastes, and almost all of Lustria, along the way), and now it's just been half a dozen turns of chasing Imrik, who somehow took some but not all of the badlands mountains provinces, around corners on the world map over and over again. Why are your settlements alternating with dwarf settlements, dragon elf?

Overall: 10/10 way to play what always felt like a 3/10 campaign, you get two Victorious Homecoming feelings between landing on Lustria at the Citadel of Dusk to clear the continent fully south-to-north, then later reaching the donut with a fleet of black arks and stacks that become doomstacks from all the black dragons you get. Very strong recommend if you wanted to play Rakarth but get tired of slogging through the jungle fighting your own personal ordertide from turn one.

What’s the premise? I’m bored and have gone through most of the challenge campaigns so I’ll give it a whirl.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ravenfood posted:

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a mod that starts you in the high elf islands, since the elves-as-naval-power thing seems common on the workshop. You've got both the Sea Helm/Cothique mod which is pretty cool and the Citadel of Dusk OvN faction mod, though that does seem buggy. It feels like an empty niche.

You can do it with Mixus, you just have a generic legendary lord with no real bonuses. It's a fun province for making money with later on but its not actually that good of a start position. There's really nowhere for you to expand early on. It takes a few turns just to get anywhere.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The Gunslinger posted:

What’s the premise? I’m bored and have gone through most of the challenge campaigns so I’ll give it a whirl.
Take your initial province. Good job! You've finished the only part of Rakarth's short victory that names any province (it's 35 sack/raze/occupy, + Turtle Isles and their faction). The long vic is donut + Teclis + Imrik and this puts you in position to get Teclis right away, and Imrik if you really want (lot of hostility in the Badlands so I left him until last and hoped, foolishly, he would die organically like what usually happens).

Hopefully you haven't taken too much damage, because you want a full stack (or close to it, I did it with 17/20 and it was a bit of a nailbiter taking the capital of the Eastern Colonies first). Then you do this:

Dark elves take only 1 turn to traverse sea lanes, so you get there, click on it, accept the prompt, and boom next turn you're at the next one. Once you pop out in the Sea of Dread, sail northwest and you'll be on land in two turns, take their province capital the next turn. Congratulations! You can now complete the safest province in the game, with 3 elven ports that just vomit out gold and slaves for you. I took the southern one last because then I was one force-march-boating turn from the chaos wastes shore.

From here you can go to the chaos wastes and wash it clean from east to west; you can take chaos wastes attrition (so always be in Raiding stance, good thing Rakarth's faction bonus is no vigour penalty for raiding 24/7!) and Chaos Wastes are good climate for you so you end up with another set of pretty solid provinces. Your big hurdle here is going to be the point where you get into a two-front war with Teclis directly to your north (but you want to eat him anyway and get more delicious ports so that's k) and hellwar with Oxyotl, who will inevitably have like 3 full stacks of blessed bullshit dinos. This is why all I recruited early on this playthrough are Darkshards and Dreadspears, + monsters seasoned to taste. Doing all this Chaos Wastefighting will get you a bunch of crap like Feral Manticores to throw at artillery + taking Lizardman settlements gets you dinos, so you should be fine on monster trash. You may also have gotten a black dragon or two from taking the Eastern Colonies! I know I did. Then I got 1 more in the course of knocking out Teclis.

A really dumb side-strat if you want to commit to the bit is, take a settlement from one of the lizard minors by Teclis. Then sell it to Teclis. Then take it again. It's now a High Elf settlement so you might get a black dragon out of it. Bonus.

You can also sail north instead to take out Imrik after the Eastern Colonies, but the badlands are almost universally Unsuitable climate so you end up abandoning that crap right away, or selling it off.

e: You can also leave a crapstack in your starting provinces to hold onto it, because it takes anyone 2 turns to get to you from the north and more from the south (and if you can get Khatep to like you early, you get a defensive alliance with him and you have a pretty solid southern base).

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 24, 2023

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Appreciate the effort, I’ll give it a whirl tonight! I don’t think I’ve ever finished a Rakarth campaign.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't know if the buffs happened in WH2 already, but in WH3 they aren't as terrible as they used to be after lots of stat buffs and 15% missile resist, generic still yes, but Festus loves his giants with how much healing Nurgle can put out to keep them active (I think they are the only one with access to giants and healing magic)

In fact, Nurgle even gets a unique giant with a unique attack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Wmpz_aFRE

I looked up their stats in WH3 and they are massively buffed. 3k more hitpoints, 100 more dmg, missile resistance, wall breaker, much better units. Glad to see it, they are probably my favorite unit and its a shame they were so bad.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They show up in multiplayer tournaments a lot too after the buffs since they can reliably kill models of small elite units with every swing and put some real hurt on lords while being pretty hard to route or kill without overwhelming missile fire.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Dumb beginner question: How are greenskins supposed to do sieges against dwarf settlements in the early game? Have nasty skulkers scale the walls on the opposite side from your force and shank the defenders from behind?

Context: Started a Grimgor campaign. Went north and punched the neighboring orc leader in the face, then turned around and started raiding caravans and clearing out the minor ogre factions to the south. Now I'm in a race with Greasus to claim as much territory as I can, and this dwarf faction is in the way. I'm tempted to let Greasus take their capital, then declare war and go in after him, but I'd rather take it myself if I can. although kholek looks like he's getting ideas so maybe this won't be happening after all

This is still very early (turn 10-15 or so), so maybe the answer is just "don't," I don't know.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Declare a Waaagh!, get the army to full strength, and autoresolve is my preferred way lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
A great siege tactic against dorfs is to take some fast / flying units that have no business in the initial wall fight and position them at the other end of the fort. The AI will split its forces way out of proportion, and you can overwhelm the actual objective long before they link up. Consolidate and rest your troops for the second wave, rinse and repeat.

In your case you might have to take the longer tactic of starting an objective cap with the skulkers so the AI peels off, then start the main attack when they get out of formation. Literal ninja-capping hasn't really worked since Shogun 2.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rock Lobbers and trolls are your early seige/anti dwarf. Grimgor himself will mulch the dwarves pretty well.

Edit: At least they were in old versions.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Rock Lobbers and trolls are your early seige/anti dwarf. Grimgor himself will mulch the dwarves pretty well.

Edit: At least they were in old versions.

Grimgor is surrounded by Chaos Dwarves now. who are better at gunning down Trolls but their chaff troops suck rear end, Grimgor and his Immortalz will ruin them

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Seyser Koze posted:

Dumb beginner question: How are greenskins supposed to do sieges against dwarf settlements in the early game? Have nasty skulkers scale the walls on the opposite side from your force and shank the defenders from behind?

Context: Started a Grimgor campaign. Went north and punched the neighboring orc leader in the face, then turned around and started raiding caravans and clearing out the minor ogre factions to the south. Now I'm in a race with Greasus to claim as much territory as I can, and this dwarf faction is in the way. I'm tempted to let Greasus take their capital, then declare war and go in after him, but I'd rather take it myself if I can. although kholek looks like he's getting ideas so maybe this won't be happening after all

This is still very early (turn 10-15 or so), so maybe the answer is just "don't," I don't know.

The dwarf siege map is one of the, if you pile everyone up on the bottom corner where there are no towers, and have your skulkers outside the wall all the way on the other side. Bust through the two gates and some walls if you can, and take that little corner area, as you send your skulkers over the walls on the other side. Once you've got them all down at the corner try and cap the main two points with your skulkers and pick off whatever lone units you can. Hopefully you can win by points before they can mulch you skulkers if the rest of your force is hitting them in the back.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I decided to continue my Throt campaign and have taken out Karl. Archaon declared war on Throgg instead of continuing the war he had with Chaos Dwarves

Archaon literally say in Throgg's territory raiding when he had Dwarves attacking his territories wtf

anyway, I was able to cap most of the mountains and Thorgrim is gone too. so it's mostly cleanup duty and fight off these chaos idiots. I think I should move on but they betrayed me :argh:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Dandywalken posted:

Declare a Waaagh!, get the army to full strength, and autoresolve is my preferred way lol

Wait, does the Waaagh! army have to build up first? Maybe that’s part of the problem, I was declaring and then charging right in.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah it gains a few units per turn til it matches host army size when it was called iirc

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I tried a Gelt campaign today and I think it's the least fun I've ever had at this game? You crush your immediate orc enemies and then have nothing to do but play the Elector Counts dance while trespassing to get to Sylvania (where you will get just fuuuucked apart by Vlad and Isabella effectively solo). This is me complaining, I don't actually want advice here. I'll just play Volkmar if I want to touch this stupid faction again, he at least has a game to play.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

I don't actually want advice here.

too bad

every Gelt campaign is about kicking Vlad's rear end as fast as possible

gently caress THE UNDEAD

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I tried a Gelt campaign today and I think it's the least fun I've ever had at this game? You crush your immediate orc enemies and then have nothing to do but play the Elector Counts dance while trespassing to get to Sylvania (where you will get just fuuuucked apart by Vlad and Isabella effectively solo). This is me complaining, I don't actually want advice here. I'll just play Volkmar if I want to touch this stupid faction again, he at least has a game to play.

Man, you can't be scared of a little Averland trespassing penalty. Those dudes are wimps.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

b... but you have all of Estalia to conquer

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

b... but you have all of Estalia to conquer

Is that generally the way to go with Gelt? I'm not against asking for advice after bouncing off his campaign twice recently.

First time, i tried rushing Vlad and he just annihilated my stack, more or less single-handedly. Second time I tried taking out Wissenland first without realising it hits you with -4 Imperial Authority penalty.

I guess i should at least take the nearby Dwarfs out but a) i loathe fighting those miniature Terminators and b) it just feels wrong

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah Gelt goes south to Estalia, Tilea and the Border Princes. Usually you get in a bit of a hellwar with the orcs in the Badlands ime but that just gives you the money and experience to get ready for your true challenge in Sylvania

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You can usually sacrifice a few spearmen or something when the undead attack you. Gelt can just turbomurder most of his army, then retreat from the first battle. If they're dumb enough to attack again, it'll be at like, half strength. Gelt is a monster.

I went south, saved the borderprinces, took skavenblight and sartosa, wheeled straight back around and murdered the undead in my most recent one.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
You mainly just need plenty of guns and someone to play keepaway to deal with Vlad. Gelt is great when you get him leveled up a bit, he can pretty much get 100% uptime on his aoe spells for the whole battle, paired with a frontline that can blob people up and take some hits and plenty of guns and artillery, you can become unstoppable.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Alright, I'll give Gelt's Southern Vacation a spin. Cheers.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Is that generally the way to go with Gelt? I'm not against asking for advice after bouncing off his campaign twice recently.

First time, i tried rushing Vlad and he just annihilated my stack, more or less single-handedly. Second time I tried taking out Wissenland first without realising it hits you with -4 Imperial Authority penalty.

I guess i should at least take the nearby Dwarfs out but a) i loathe fighting those miniature Terminators and b) it just feels wrong

Gelt gets mountain terrain as habitable, unlike the other Empire dorks. so he is uhh encouraged to liberate the mountains from whatever happens to live there. if you're quick you can eliminate the dwarf minors before meeting Thorgrim

against Vlad you have to kite him with pistoleers or maybe free company while you wipe the rest of his army. then he'll crumble to army losses

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
betraying the great alliance of sigmar heldenhammer, practicing necromancy, that estalia speech - #justgeltthings

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have learned that a friend of mine picked up Warhammer Total War 3 on my recommendation.

She has picked N'Kari for her first game and is naming all her lords and heroes after porn stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

I have learned that a friend of mine picked up Warhammer Total War 3 on my recommendation.

She has picked N'Kari for her first game and is naming all her lords and heroes after porn stars.

:hmmyes: