Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

You guys aren't wrong, but the people who want that in their flight games are the target audience. Alternatively, fly the airframes in Flaming Cliffs.

If you want a 'game' experience, then there's also War Thunder.

this is a poo poo attitude. it is a video game and it should have the option to turn on and off various aspects of the simulation so that you can use it the way you want. i paid the money for it, ffs.

the game already has options for unlimited fuel, unlimited ammo, indestructibility, etc. why not a checkbox for 5-second INS alignment? waiting 8 minutes while a dot crawls across a screen is a super annoying part of the startup of every jet and i actually like doing cold starts.

another example is how a lot of the planes have the liveries restricted to certain countries. if i am officially playing as the us navy but i want to use the bright red canada 150 skin for my f/a-18, why shouldn't i? even if you are the worst kind of grognard and you insist that paint jobs have to be accurate, surely there could be a "allow all liveries" checkbox for the people who don't care about that on their server, right? but no.

the game is absolutely hostile to people who want to play it in a way that the developers and the generally horrible community don't condone.

i miss the days when every game came with cheat codes up front and was moddable to hell and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
There’s ground hot start, but it’s as inconsistent as the auto start. At least the harrier has a fully aligned option, as does the ka50-3.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yeah even the fast alignment or align as I fly stuff sucks.

Just let me skip the wait so I can go crash into my first target dammit!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Sagebrush posted:

this is a poo poo attitude. it is a video game and it should have the option to turn on and off various aspects of the simulation so that you can use it the way you want. i paid the money for it, ffs.

Lol

“I bought a study sim that openly advertises near-to-life fidelity on almost all airframes and I am pissed it doesn’t play like War Thunder or IL-2, games that are either free and/or fulfill my desired level of gameplay.”

And the point of those infinite ammo/invulnerability options is so you can practice with those systems.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm fairly sure you can disable the INS alignment entirely on the aircraft in the mission editor? It's a drop-down option I think.

ed:

Vahakyla posted:

Each special option in mission editor is a developer-dependent feature that follows no consistency between airframes.

That's bad!!!!

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 27, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Squiggle posted:

I'm fairly sure you can disable the INS alignment entirely on the aircraft in the mission editor? It's a drop-down option I think.

Each special option in mission editor is a developer-dependent feature that follows no consistency between airframes.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

dialhforhero posted:

Lol

“I bought a study sim that openly advertises near-to-life fidelity on almost all airframes and I am pissed it doesn’t play like War Thunder or IL-2, games that are either free and/or fulfill my desired level of gameplay.”

And the point of those infinite ammo/invulnerability options is so you can practice with those systems.

Don't be a dick.

Gonna go against the hivemind here and side with OP on this. It's a game. Making ultra realistic settings optional should be a standard, not an afterthought. I should be able to play a game however I want.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

Lol

oh so some concessions to playability are okay if they're for "practice" purposes? like, say, maybe i want to practice the startup and takeoff sequence and not have to wait 8 minutes for alignment every time? maybe i want to "practice" flying an airplane and use whatever paint job i choose?

or how about the weapons just popping onto the plane every 3 seconds when you rearm, no matter where you're parked on the airfield? that's way too fast and not realistic at all. might as well be war thunder, right? i hope you're complaining on the ED forums about that one!

"it's a ~simulation~, not a game" is the saddest poo poo. you're at home on your computer, not sitting in a level D. get a life

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 27, 2023

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

The only problem there is it already takes years to make the ultra-realistic options, and adding in another layer of abstraction requires a: critical thought, and b: takes away development time from the next module, which the switch flippers will happily buy.

Fc3 is a good compromise for most, and the hot starts take a lot of the annoyance of start up out. However, that requires the mission makers to configure the mission correctly, and that’s another can of worms.

As for the liveries, yes it’s dumb. The “switch” to turn all factions on is out there; it’s a mod.

Snapshot fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 27, 2023

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

dialhforhero posted:

Lol

This is a really dumb argument there is a rather large gap between the arcade nature of Warthunder and how it handles weapons systems, flight models, and sensors. I enjoy how involved a lot of those systems are compared to War thunder I just hate ED and most of the Third Party Dev's attitude about simulating every little stupid thing, and badly for a lot of the stuff like radar where they would be better off emulating it (getting the same end result) instead of trying to recreate every little moving part of the system. I do wish my time and money would be respected things get really loving stupid when it comes to modules, take the F-16C for example ED markets it purely as the F-16C Viper and not the F-16 Block 50 specifically the one flown the US Air National Guard's 77th Fighter squadron "The Gamblers". marketing would leave you to believe that it would include all the features and weapons that the F-16C Block 50's other countries have. (link to the F-16 page: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/viper/)

A lot of current DCS players would likely enjoy a sim that sits between the study sim of DCS and the super arcadey sim of Warthunder, sadly that doesn't exist so they default to DCS

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Imaginary Baron posted:

Sure there’s an auto start “cheat” button; but developers don’t care about filthy casuals so the autostart on most planes is sloppy and misses key systems like the rwr or power to certain pylons. Also because system fidelity is all that matters at the expense of gameplay, auto starts for some reason insist on performing all the real checks an actual pilot would do. But it’s a game.. I don’t need to actually verify the tailhook works before taking off.

You may or may not know this, but you can actually fiddle with what the automatic start function actually does on each aircraft. This doesn't really help if you don't know what the actual start sequence should be, but you can gently caress with it so that the F-16 does a stored heading alignment and save yourself a few minutes each go.

The scripts are stored in:

<install path>\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\<the airframe>\Cockpit\Scripts\Macro_sequencies.lua

(Yes. It is misspelled.)

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 27, 2023

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
As a (abbreviated, test-skipping) cold start enjoyer if there was an option to make INS alignments instant I'd turn it on in a heartbeat. Making me wait 8 to 10 minutes doing nothing while it aligns adds nothing other than making me alt-tab the entire time.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

INS Alignments stink!

Also, death to mandatory HMD boresight; or as I call it "SMH SNOREsight"

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Insert name here posted:

As a (abbreviated, test-skipping) cold start enjoyer if there was an option to make INS alignments instant I'd turn it on in a heartbeat. Making me wait 8 to 10 minutes doing nothing while it aligns adds nothing other than making me alt-tab the entire time.

Ironically, fly something razbam. I think all of them have aligned settings.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Yeah I know the harrier has a global "start aligned" option which is great and I wish every module had it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

INS Alignments stink!

Also, death to mandatory HMD boresight; or as I call it "SMH SNOREsight"

oh ugh yes please also let me start the F-16 with the targeting pods and maverick seekers already aligned with each other.

if you're training to fly a real F-16 in the real world (zero people ITT are) then sure, fine, drill those things. as a video game, having to align the seekers every time at best does nothing other than make the plane work as you'd expect it to, and much more commonly just makes your missiles not work for a reason you don't understand.

oh wait i guess it also gives the sperglord grognards a way to feel smug. that's really the most important thing.

ugh i'm remembering the arma clans where you had to salute your "superior officers" when they walked by in game and file after-action reports on the forums or get "demoted." something loving wrong with those people's brains

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'd be a little more keen on "hardcore, no exceptions" if every T-55 wasn't an IADS and needed a perfect direct hit to sustain damage.

Though I do like the systems fidelity, especially since I'm SP only and due to the above there isn't a whole lot else to do but get good at turning the plane on and managing the systems :v:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ITT remembering why i never play DCS sober

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

skooma512 posted:

I'd be a little more keen on "hardcore, no exceptions" if every T-55 wasn't an IADS and needed a perfect direct hit to sustain damage.

Though I do like the systems fidelity, especially since I'm SP only and due to the above there isn't a whole lot else to do but get good at turning the plane on and managing the systems :v:

it's funny how War Thunder is actually significantly more advanced on its modelling of ground and naval targets in such a way that it's much more satisfying for all parties involved than DCS, which also sells a full price module to control those units

dialhforhero posted:

Lol

so let me get this right - its ok to be able to slam into the ground, survive a million missiles hitting you and shoot a thousand sidewinders into the sun, but it's not ok to skip waiting for an INS alignment?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Yeah I mean this is hosed up and it's even worse when flying rotary. They really need to fix that, and a bunch of poo poo about ground unit behavior in general.

I'm all for them adding options to suit all playstyles, and the auto start really should be fixed, but I don't think it's reasonable to be upset that it's not their first priority. It's a study sim that's explicitly marketed as stimulating as close to everything in the aircraft as possible.

I enjoy the full switch-flipper experience because I enjoy the technical challenge. What modules don't have stored heading alignment? Is it the F14? I've never flown anything that didn't basically finish aligning by the time I'd finished setting everything else up.

I don't disagree there's a ton of things that could be improved even while being realistic (DTC support) or just don't add to the experience (abbreviated alignment time).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Still waiting on DTCs for the Hornet so I don't have to set up my CMPs manually every time (it will never be added)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Insert name here posted:

Still waiting on DTCs for the Hornet so I don't have to set up my CMPs manually every time (it will never be added)

Ohh hey, you can edit the lua to make the presets whatever you want. It resets after each update but if you set it up in OVGME you can put it back with a few button presses.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:staredog:

I just wanted to kvetch about DCS stability not start a holy war.

My take is that full fat sim is good, just that there's a lot of quality of life improvements that are needed. It just feels like you get 90% of the stuff that DCS is designed for before you leave the airfield instead of doing cool fighter pilot poo poo.

Still going to chase that dragon because there simply aren't any alternatives (I've played war thunder and enjoy it, but it doesn't scratch the same itch).

Proper unified global module hot start or auto INS alignment would be a good start. ED should mandate those things as options for all devs imo. Then grogs can sit there for 10 minutes if they want and the rest of us can get on with the mission or whatever.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I would be more willing to put up with aligning poo poo like INS or calibrating the fake helmet my character is wearing whose model isn't even turned on if the weapons weren't so poorly modeled damage wise. There's no such thing as splash damage so you're pretty much having to treat missles as if they're giant bullets rather than an explosive. Also doesn't help that the in game tutorials are less than useless and at this point they should just stick Chuck's guides into the kneeboards as an option. Really sucks to be missing something while in VR and have no in-game way of actually knowing what you forgot. Instead I find myself just playing IL-2 or not getting my flight sim stuff out at all.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
My hot take is that splash damage is probably modeled fine for realism, but that’s not very satisfying compared to hollywood explosions.

IRL, 500 pound bombs hitting even a tiny bit off mean people run away, vehicles survive, etc. But that’s not terribly satisfying in game.

Unless bombing the most obvious big building or packed motorpool, tons of rocket runs and bombing runs have historically been suppression at best.

Would be nice if the AI behaved more like an RTS where a hydra rocket run almost never kills anything, but it at least suppresses AI actions and gunners for a while.

A US unit being bombed by a guided 500 pounder by accident (no blood, no one dies, splash damage occluded by dirt and rocks)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/afghanistan-us-troops-in-500lb-bomb-near-miss-10416772

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 28, 2023

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bedurndurn posted:

You may or may not know this, but you can actually fiddle with what the automatic start function actually does on each aircraft. This doesn't really help if you don't know what the actual start sequence should be, but you can gently caress with it so that the F-16 does a stored heading alignment and save yourself a few minutes each go.

The scripts are stored in:

<install path>\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\<the airframe>\Cockpit\Scripts\Macro_sequencies.lua

(Yes. It is misspelled.)

This and "splash damage scripts," highly customized missions like Enigma's cold war, SRS, overlord bots and EWR scripts are all great things.

But they're community derived solutions to problems that shouldn't exist in the first place. That's probably my overall take.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

A good compromise may be lowering the damage mission-kill thresholds for vehicles?

My biggest pet peeve is DCS AI and DM. Had an AI Hind take 30mm from my Apache, 30mm from a Goon hind, and another Goon Hinds AT9. And it flew along its normal path like nothing happened, pissing fuel and down a wing, 3 player kills tallied.

You used to be able to outright edit weapon statistics like HE content etc locally, but PvP concerns got that removed. Could edit AI accuracy coefficents too for ground units as well as detection range vs air threats etc, which was tremendously useful.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 28, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Also would own if ships had damageable subcomponents instead of one big HP pool. Arcade games have that!

As is best way to do this is a dedicated game master doing things like manually turning off a ship’s radar when ARMs smash into it or deactivating a SAM when it takes 45% damage.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

This is why people like Musk suck. Imagine being able to buy anything, and buying a lovely bird site. Or a yacht. Or a big ugly mansion. At least those guys who got crunched trying to see the titanic were trying to do something kinda interesting, even if they did it in the stupidest way possible.

If I had that kind of money I'd spend 150 million developing a proper combat flight sim.

also probably EVE online and make EVE 2.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Carth Dookie posted:

This is why people like Musk suck. Imagine being able to buy anything, and buying a lovely bird site. Or a yacht. Or a big ugly mansion. At least those guys who got crunched trying to see the titanic were trying to do something kinda interesting, even if they did it in the stupidest way possible.

If I had that kind of money I'd spend 150 million developing a proper combat flight sim.

also probably EVE online and make EVE 2.

The new head of Microprose is pretty much doing this. Not to make the best combat flight sim, but at least to push sim and sim-lite titles.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

skooma512 posted:

The new head of Microprose is pretty much doing this. Not to make the best combat flight sim, but at least to push sim and sim-lite titles.

I have bought all of them and played none of them.

The curse of being an adult really.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

skooma512 posted:

good.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Eagle boys, Winwing's launching a F-15 throttles in regular and royale with cheese editions in July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXL9ZZi8fto

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

That Works posted:

ITT remembering why i never play DCS

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh yeah???

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

skooma512 posted:

Just about everything Wild Bill Stealy has been involved in since the 80's has turned to poo poo. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Is winwing hotas stuff considered pretty good? Been meaning to replace my X56 whenever vkb gets around to releasing its throttle but I’ve been waiting years and years for that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

Eagle boys, Winwing's launching a F-15 throttles in regular and royale with cheese editions in July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXL9ZZi8fto

are they also launching two mirrored HCUs for the rear cockpit in the strike eagle? bc i'm still trying to figure out how to map that stuff properly. (i will not actually buy HCUs for the strike eagle)

doesn't help that, like all early access titles, it's currently broken as poo poo

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ninjahedgehog posted:

Is winwing hotas stuff considered pretty good? Been meaning to replace my X56 whenever vkb gets around to releasing its throttle but I’ve been waiting years and years for that

Yeah, Winwing is excellent. I bought the Orion II throttle and stick in F-16 configuration a while ago, and haven't looked back since.

Actually, a big factor in upgrading from my Thrustmaster TWCS was the throttle detents. It's super nice to be able to go to mil or afterburner without even looking, just by feel.

E: also, my two cents is that learning to cold-start a jet is absolutely a feature, and a good thing. But also yes, it would be good for hot-start map spawns to fully, fully start up everything on the jet. Even in BMS you've got the option to skip ahead to when the jet has already been started.

Though an argument could be made for it heightening a sense of danger in the gameplay, and consequence of getting killed, because you know if you gently caress up then you're going to have to sit through your calibration again :D

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i haven't flown a fighter with INS alignment yet, can't you just take off anyway? like, just ignore/mute the warning and take off and fly? you don't need the instruments anyway, that's why there's these 3d graphics out the window

Carth Dookie posted:

the funniest thing about it is that for those people a million dollars is like a single cent for the average person, but they cheaped out on a submarine when diving 2 miles or whatever lol