Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

My heart sank when I heard John made mythic in Arena because now I know that my having done so means nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Best-ever Death Metal Band Out of Denton is literally the only Mountain Goats song I ever remember. Mostly because I know people that live/d in Denton.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Captain Invictus posted:

I didn't know Post Malone was part of the mountain goats

Oh lol I forgot about him

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

My heart sank when I heard John made mythic in Arena because now I know that my having done so means nothing.

If I remember, he did it with some 68-card mono-blue tempo pile the season after all the good blue tempo cards rotated.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

John Darnelle's voice is fuckin awful lol

but hey, get it mountain goats dude, let's photoshop his face on the Mountain Goat card or something idk

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

The Best-ever Death Metal Band Out of Denton is literally the only Mountain Goats song I ever remember. Mostly because I know people that live/d in Denton.

I lived there and that song title is such a fake-out that some random person happens to know your town.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Lol, Amazon hosed up all the preorders of LotR commander decks and only sent one random deck to the people who ordered the bundle of 4.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Khanstant posted:

I lived there and that song title is such a fake-out that some random person happens to know your town.

Hail Satan.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

John Darnielle seems like a genuinely kind person, and I'm bummed his secret lair is ten basic lands. It should have been his head crudely taped over the goat on Mountain Goat

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I do wonder if as a fan he figured he'd try and get em to do more lands than usual by saying he needed 10 cards for his deal.

Jordan Peele likes MtG I think, wonder if he's famous enough for a playable spread of multiples of all 6 basic land types.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

That golf course plains from that one secret lair turned out to also be a sacred foundry, so I'll be disappointed if one of these isn't a hidden dual.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

snyprmag posted:

That golf course plains from that one secret lair turned out to also be a sacred foundry, so I'll be disappointed if one of these isn't a hidden dual.

It was a Battlefield Forge.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Vidmaster posted:

Lol, Amazon hosed up all the preorders of LotR commander decks and only sent one random deck to the people who ordered the bundle of 4.

They didn't gently caress up all the preorders that way; two of my friends, who shall remain nameless for fear of Pinkerton reprisal, got theirs shipped to them a week before the prerelease!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I bought a couple of each of the LOTR commander decks when they first went up on Amazon. I was pretty early. I bought 2 of each. They just sent me a notice saying one of the sets was "delayed". Of course it's the Sauron one.

At least I got some of mine.. or got most of them. People who bought the LOTR Commander Bundle... apparently the workers at Amazon took the box, opened it up, picked one and sent just 1 deck. Not only that, they sent it in one of those cheap bubble mailers so their decks got mashed. My decks were kinda messed up too. The bundle is sitting at 1 star on the site
https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Lord-Rings-Middle-Earth/dp/B0BVTJGJF5/

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Strong Sauce posted:

I bought a couple of each of the LOTR commander decks when they first went up on Amazon. I was pretty early. I bought 2 of each. They just sent me a notice saying one of the sets was "delayed". Of course it's the Sauron one.

At least I got some of mine.. or got most of them. People who bought the LOTR Commander Bundle... apparently the workers at Amazon took the box, opened it up, picked one and sent just 1 deck. Not only that, they sent it in one of those cheap bubble mailers so their decks got mashed. My decks were kinda messed up too. The bundle is sitting at 1 star on the site

That reminds me of the Orzhov precon from Baldur's Gate. I preordered it on Amazon, and it was delayed for a long time until it just straight up said it was lost. I had to deal with customer service for nearly an hour to get a refund, and it wasn't enough to be able to buy the same precon at its then jacked up price. Since it wasn't being shipped through Amazon, they couldn't/wouldn't just send me a replacement for the one that was "lost", I'd have had to buy it at the spiked price. Never did, just bought singles I wanted from it instead.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Vidmaster posted:

They did that poo poo to me when the local 'zon they did a sale on bundle of all the New Cappena decks, I got the Maestro one in a little bag. I immediately contacted support, got a refund like 10 minutes after it was delivered and ended up getting that one deck for free

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Strong Sauce posted:

guessing you opened a dispute right? especially if that "includes all four decks" was there before.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

LifeLynx posted:

I really like their song Lovecraft in Brooklyn, but I'm not a huge fan of the rest of their catalog. I remember being very confused when they announced a fantasy-themed album with D&D songs and there was a song about former MLB player Doc Gooden on it, and they reasoned that into being a fantasy story because of the magic of baseball or some other weird logic. But that's indie rock I guess.

im a huge tmg fan and in league with dragons is like, actively their worst album

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I wonder how many people went out and got jobs at amazon for a chance to steal people's orders. A shot at a 2 million dollar card will make people do crazy things

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
another great remy video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBqUTZVNmsY&hd=1

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Strong Sauce posted:

Have they nuked this whole product off Amazon? I'm not sure if I can even find this just searching for it

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Devor posted:

Have they nuked this whole product off Amazon? I'm not sure if I can even find this just searching for it

yeah they removed the bundle page for some reason.

they also removed the commander masters collector boosters page. my preorder is still up so who knows.

Captain Invictus posted:

guessing you opened a dispute right? especially if that "includes all four decks" was there before.

they said they're delayed. but can they even print more of these if there's a collector sampler pack? their whole no reprint thing is only with "collector boosters"...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Collector Samplers can't contain serialised cards, the reason that collector boosters are explicitly getting a rebrand for the reprints is because the serialised cards can't be in them either.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Collector Samplers can't contain serialised cards, the reason that collector boosters are explicitly getting a rebrand for the reprints is because the serialised cards can't be in them either.

:psyduck: of all things you'd think the explicitly extra expensive packs that are going to contain fancy arts would be eligible for them

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

:psyduck: of all things you'd think the explicitly extra expensive packs that are going to contain fancy arts would be eligible for them

If they're doing an explicitly limited run, you kinda can't add more

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What are they calling Collector Boosters but without serialized cards?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

If they're doing an explicitly limited run, you kinda can't add more

Oh I guess that's kind of true yeah, when you put it like that it makes sense

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

LifeLynx posted:

What are they calling Collector Boosters but without serialized cards?

Collector Boosters : Special Edition

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/FrankLepore/status/1674157817211633667

lmao you might want to hesitate buying the one ring in paper for now

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/FrankLepore/status/1674157817211633667

lmao you might want to hesitate buying the one ring in paper for now

If you don't need it now, don't buy it as its going to drastically drop in price from the massive amount of box openings anyway. I would think 20-25 bucks. orcish bowmaster helps things out.

No shot this is banned anytime soon.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there no potential meta to just shift around the existence of a new card over time or do modern players in general not really want to see new things?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The One Ring is gonna be like $5 forever, it's literally in every bundle as a bonus card

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Khanstant posted:

Is there no potential meta to just shift around the existence of a new card over time or do modern players in general not really want to see new things?

Jamming four into effectively every deck and making all of them better is more than an evolving metagame thing. That's a warped metagame, where every deck either plays it or has to have a main deck answer. Or both.

Like, there are certainly other artifacts that can be problematic *in or for certain decks*, but TOR goes in any deck, and the only downside is its cost.

I doubt it will be banned as it's the poster card for a non-standard set, but I can absolutely understand why people are grumpy.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Are there even any good answers to it? Like, just racing (which requires you to have a "damage can't be prevented" card to avoid taking a turn off, oh but you can't even target them with a Skullcrack or Stomp to make that happen) is about the only way, right? Even if you exile it immediately they still got a card out of it. If you let them untap twice they've drawn six cards and that's an all-but-impossible hole to dig yourself out of.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

Jamming four into effectively every deck and making all of them better is more than an evolving metagame thing. That's a warped metagame, where every deck either plays it or has to have a main deck answer. Or both.

Like, there are certainly other artifacts that can be problematic *in or for certain decks*, but TOR goes in any deck, and the only downside is its cost.

I doubt it will be banned as it's the poster card for a non-standard set, but I can absolutely understand why people are grumpy.

TOR gets banned in all formats, except if you own the one TOR

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Silhouette posted:

The One Ring is gonna be like $5 forever, it's literally in every bundle as a bonus card

I'll admit, pre-ordering the gift bundle before it shot up in price and seeing TOR currently going for stupid amounts of money does make the rest of the bundle feel like a bit of a steal. I just play Commander, so I only need one copy anyways.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

I gotcha, and that doesn't sound very interesting unless the cuts they made were actually shifting the meta around instead of just making way for a playset of a generically good card.

Lol that they avoided adding a downside to the ring because people supposedly won't play cards with risky downsides, despite in this case naturally expecting one. It could've made the card an interesting option to play with and against.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
We are in the one ring and orchish bowmaster era of article peddling, twitch stream view chasing, and generic magic influencer clout farming meta. While both cards seem good and fun, its a bit overblown.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Khanstant posted:

Lol that they avoided adding a downside to the ring

you do lose life each round for each Burden counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!