Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

...rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I haven't gotten very lucky so far, I started sometime when Jing Yuan was running and I got about 50 pulls in with nothing, and only did a few pulls on SW just in case. According to a warp tracker I'm pretty low percentile in terms of luck for 5 and 4 stars, so I feel like I need the next few banners to go well to round out my account.

My only 5 stars have been Himeko x2 ( I like her at least), and I'll be able to get hard pity Luocha in the worst case scenario. This is my first gacha game and it's more fun than I thought, the writing is fun so I might stick to it if my bad luck doesn't stick around forever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Note to self for the future - Don't use Remembrance against Bronya/Cocolia, because apparently they don't just have high freeze resistance - they're literally immune to it

First SU I've lost in a while, and only on phase 2. My build was actually exceptionally good, but not being able to freeze the boss rendered it useless.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Won the 50/50 for Luocha :toot:

Got both Yukong and Pela for my collection too.

e:

He is speed

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 28, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

It was wasn't it?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm downloading it now, and as someone whose only gacha experience was FFRK, are there any "before I play" things I need to know? Besides "don't spend real money on a gacha". Like pulls I should always/never use because of the chances, etc?

Edit: I have optimization brain and like to know what things to focus on or avoid in games, as opposed to "do/pull whatever"

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 28, 2023

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm downloading it now, and as someone whose only gacha experience was FFRK, are there any "before I play" things I need to know? Besides "don't spend real money on a gacha". Like pulls I should always/never use because of the chances, etc?

Edit: I have optimization brain and like to know what things to focus on or avoid in games, as opposed to "do/pull whatever"

Pull newbie banner first, it uses standard banner currency (silver tickets), has a small discount, and guarantees a 5*. Don't spend currency (star jades) on the standard banner, but feel free to spend the standard rolls you get in game whenever. The pity system is the same whether you spend 10 tickets at a time or 1.

Gold ticket useage will depend on what you get on the newbie banner and beyond. For example the upcoming guy is a healer which might be nice if you don't get the healer off the newbie banner, but if you do he's not as important. The pity system can be used to guarantee characters since it carries over between banners, if you don't get the on banner character the next one is guaranteed to be on banner whether it's the same character banner or one a year later. This does not carry over between banner types so if you miss the weapon it doesn't change anything about character pity

Edit: oh and don't spend jade on stamina refreshes

Xun fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 28, 2023

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

The main thing is to avoid spending jade (premium currency) on the standard character banner. You both get a bunch of free passes to draw on it at first, then a steady trickle of them as you play. More importantly, you can spend that jade on whichever special character banner you’re aiming for, the first of which is about to rotate to a new one/already has for Asia servers. There’s also a Beginner Banner that’s both cheaper to roll on using standard passes and has a much earlier guaranteed 5-star from it, so use your free standard passes on it first. When you hit a 5-star on there it goes away.

Pulling on any banner gets you two types of currency, Starlight and Embers. Starlight is used to purchase 5-star Light Cones (weapons) and, arguably more importantly, a pair of rotating 4-star characters that change monthly. You can buy each one once, but Starlight is somewhat limited so consider what dupes you’ll be wanting based on who you’re using. Embers are used to buy a static set of items that refresh monthly as well, most importantly there 5 each of both standard and special passes for pulling on the gacha banners. Try and have enough embers every month to at least buy those out.

There is a pity system in place, odds start increasing on 5-star drops after a certain amount and if your luck is truly awful you’re guaranteed one by pull 90 on a banner. If the character or Light Cone banners change it keeps track of where your count was, so don’t panic and feel like you need to hit it before that (unless you really want that character, of course). When you do get a 5-star to drop on the special banner it flips a coin— you’ll see the term “50/50” used a lot for it. If you win the toss, you get the banner character. Lose it and you’ll get another random 5-star character from the standard pool but your next 5-star from it is guaranteed to be on-banner. This also carries over between banners so you can save it for an upcoming character you really want. Light Cone banners share this system but with slightly different odds IIRC. 5-stars on the standard banner are a random character or Light Cone from the standard pool.

The free characters you get as you play aside from Herta are all very solid and you can do most content with just them. Herta’s… fine. She’s fine.

There’s more, but those are the big things I always like to keep in mind for new players at the start.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 28, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess don't bother leveling up your main character's traces very much - at some point they'll gain the ability to swap to a new class+element, it's much more useful than the one they start in, and the traces don't carry over. The first few trace levels are cheap enough that you won't miss those mats, but you'd probably regret buying the pricey levels.

Don't pull on the light cone banner unless you already have a character that you really want that particular light cone for.

Don't spend currency on the standard banner, only spend pull tickets.

This isn't like FFRK where you have to save up for months and then blow your wad at fest time for a bunch of good poo poo. You can pull on any character banner as long as it's a character you'd be happy getting, and if you don't get it that puts you closer to getting what you want the next time you pull for a character.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Also the free characters are pretty good here. I used the story trio with a rotating 4th for pretty much the entire story so far and it went fine, and even outside of that:

Dan is a top tier DPS

Trailblazer's second class is pretty good at what they do.

March is a passable shielder/tank/crowd control, probably the weakest of the lot but still good.

And then for non-plot freebies:

Natasha is a good healer who cleanses debuffs later, and if you get her dupes she eventually does decent damage.

Quingque is either okay or the best versatile DPS depending on your rng tolerance. Either way she's a rare and useful Quantum type.

Asta is an excellent but subtle buffer, and also an incredible breaker, holy poo poo, she loving shreds fire weakness.

Serval is arguably a better group dps than the limited 5 star in her same element and class.

Herta might actually be the weakest, she's a pretty meh group dps in the same element as March. People have made her work, though.

Oh also you mostly level up with items. There's that too.

--Edit: 4 stars in general are much better than lower rarity stuff in some games. If the balance shapes up like Genshin a 4 star with max Eidolons (dupe bonuses) should keep up with a 5 star in most roles, with a minor exception for main carry dps. And also an exception for launch being good for happy little balance accidents.
(In Genshin, the slightly disputed best character is a launch 4 star support, and a girl who larped so hard she got actual magic is better than her element's god at one of her main roles. There's probably a couple of those waiting to be figured out here.)

Captain France fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 28, 2023

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

This is all great to know, thanks! So if I'm getting this right, the basic gist is

1) Pull newbie banner until I get my 5*
2) Use tickets to pull on standard banners that I want whenever, because of the pity system every pull is some sort of progress.
2a) Don't use premium currency on pulls unless it's a special banner that I really want.
3) Starlight pulls are more limited, try to only use them when I know I want the item for a character specifically or the 4* characters that are available.
4) Try to save Embers up to buy the monthly items.
5) Try not to blow too many level up items on the MC in the beginning because they change class later.

Pretty much for a beginner?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Pretty much, although for point 5 you can level up the MC (and you actually have to for a story-critical fight later), there's just no need to upgrade their passives too much because they get a class change mechanic later and while levels carry over between class swaps, the passives don't.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Also don't spread your resources too thin. Around level 60 your characters become prohibitively expensive to level up in various ways. Focus on a core of 4-6 characters to start, and once you get to the 60+ range probably just a well-rounded team of 4.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

acumen posted:

Also don't spread your resources too thin. Around level 60 your characters become prohibitively expensive to level up in various ways. Focus on a core of 4-6 characters to start, and once you get to the 60+ range probably just a well-rounded team of 4.

Minor caveat to this, it is trivially easy to get a character to level 20 and ascend them once. Doing so gets you a free standard pass for every character you do it with, so there’s really no reason not to do at least this for everyone you get.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Pretty sure Serval is only free for people who started at launch. I think I only ever got her from the gacha.

Yep, every copy of Serval I have came from the banners.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 28, 2023

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also Fhqwhgads, take your time with the story. It currently ends in the middle of the third chapter and we're not getting the next part until the end of July.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is it silly to try for Luocha if I have Bailu and a well leveled Natasha in reserve?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Black Griffon posted:

Is it silly to try for Luocha if I have Bailu and a well leveled Natasha in reserve?

No more silly than it is to pull for a new damage dealer if you already have a couple of geared damage dealers. Luocha offers things neither of the existing healers do(damage output, offensive dispel), and they offer things that he doesn't(reliable off-turn aoe healing), so pull for him if you think he's cool and you want him.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Kanos posted:

so pull for him if you think he's cool and you want him.

This is true for every character. It's not a competitive game and you can clear most of the content in the game with only ever pulling on the standard banner. Grab the characters you think are fun to play, even if they turn out to be not fun in practice.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

cool beans good wisdom, thanks

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Walla posted:

Also Fhqwhgads, take your time with the story. It currently ends in the middle of the third chapter and we're not getting the next part until the end of July.

I'd say this advice depends on what Fhqwhgads is looking to get out of the game. If they're a more casual player who's mainly interested in the story, I fully endorse this. If they're more interested in challenge content, they may find it frustrating to be gated out of some of that content/farming materials for certain characters/etc if they're taking the story slow. But it's a good warning to give in any case.

I personally am interested in both and rushed somewhat through the main story to unlock every mode, but really took my time with the side quests to balance it out. Some of the side quests have really fantastic stories and writing imo (especially some of the companion missions), and they don't gate anything, so any kind of player can take their time with them and really enjoy them.

Unrelatedly: I'm finding the web event fairly amusing so far, but I wish Qingque were also one of the possible customers.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Just another minor point because it took me a while to twig this in Genshin: once you unlock the Events screen, do the Trial Runs every banner change. The one for the 5* gives you a bit of jades, and it lets you get a feel for how the featured characters play.

Just keep in mind the 5* is always given their 5* Light Cone and matched against their optimal punching bags to make them feel as OP as possible when doing them (they are trying to sell you the character, and thus spending real money on pulls, after all).

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Izzhov posted:

I'd say this advice depends on what Fhqwhgads is looking to get out of the game. If they're a more casual player who's mainly interested in the story, I fully endorse this. If they're more interested in challenge content, they may find it frustrating to be gated out of some of that content/farming materials for certain characters/etc if they're taking the story slow. But it's a good warning to give in any case.

I personally am interested in both and rushed somewhat through the main story to unlock every mode, but really took my time with the side quests to balance it out. Some of the side quests have really fantastic stories and writing imo (especially some of the companion missions), and they don't gate anything, so any kind of player can take their time with them and really enjoy them.

Unrelatedly: I'm finding the web event fairly amusing so far, but I wish Qingque were also one of the possible customers.

Good points. I definitely fall on the more casual side. Maybe in 1.2 I'll be ready to try MoC but for now I'm enjoying messing around in SU and waiting for more story content.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Izzhov posted:

Bold of you to assume she's not jamming more celestial jade games during her lunch hour

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

New code! 50 jade, 10,000 credits.

2SP2XE4YBJBB

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Does it matter what server I join, outside of latency? Is it like an MMORPG where I'm stuck on one server and have to 'start over' if I move servers? I ask because I'm currently in Europe, but typically would be in America.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

Does it matter what server I join, outside of latency? Is it like an MMORPG where I'm stuck on one server and have to 'start over' if I move servers? I ask because I'm currently in Europe, but typically would be in America.

Yes you are locked to the server you picked.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

After learning more about him, now I want Luocha. Let's combine Bailu and Natasha and make the healing be aoe for free. Oh, and he's a combat unit with one of the most useful breaks in the game. Insane.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've never found latency to actually matter. Like you'll get a red number that says your latency sucks but it doesn't seem to have any detrimental effect on gameplay.

The only real difference is the time of day that everything resets and events start.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I kind of wish I had joined an Asian server. I still have to wait another 4 hours before I can pull on Luocha's banner.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also I did a few more pulls on SW's banner before it went away and managed to e6 Serval. I know which team I'm working on next.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I thought I had saved a post explaining effect hit and how to gear for it, but I can't find it. Anyone got anything saved? Interested in M7 and SW specifically but I can probably figure them out if I just understand the under-the-hood math.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I thought I had saved a post explaining effect hit and how to gear for it, but I can't find it. Anyone got anything saved? Interested in M7 and SW specifically but I can probably figure them out if I just understand the under-the-hood math.

Real effect probability = Base probability x (1 + EHR) x (1 - EffRes) x (1 - DebuffRes). Silver Wolf for 100% hit against Moc needs 97-98% EHR before E2. Don't know March but her base hit chance is 50% so you're probably never hitting 100%.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

SU ability tree complete :toot:

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Eimi posted:

Silver Wolf for 100% hit against Moc needs 97-98% EHR before E2.

Is this the threshold for her ultimate or for her bugs?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Izzhov posted:

Is this the threshold for her ultimate or for her bugs?

Her E

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The only reason to build EHR on March and Gepard is to get the bonus from the Belobog set. Though Gepard E1 loves it too.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Eimi posted:

Real effect probability = Base probability x (1 + EHR) x (1 - EffRes) x (1 - DebuffRes). Silver Wolf for 100% hit against Moc needs 97-98% EHR before E2. Don't know March but her base hit chance is 50% so you're probably never hitting 100%.

Great post, thank you!

If anyone is having trouble with the battle Sim event (I failed it the first time) it was trivial with the trial Arlan. My Jing Yun also did work, ulting three times in a row occasionally. But I bet you could use Serval. My other two slots were fire MC and SW, but you could probably run anything. The trial Arlan does work

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Walla posted:

I kind of wish I had joined an Asian server. I still have to wait another 4 hours before I can pull on Luocha's banner.
I think the daily reset timing is way more important, personally, because that's something you have to deal with every day, not just when there's a new banner. Playing on the Americas server from Australia puts it at 7 PM local time, but I actually like it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

FractalSandwich posted:

I think the daily reset timing is way more important, personally, because that's something you have to deal with every day, not just when there's a new banner. Playing on the Americas server from Australia puts it at 7 PM local time, but I actually like it that way.

My reset is early in the morning which is fine, but since I can't really dive into the game until the evening then sometime around 5:00 pm would be better. It doesn't matter too much though.