Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They did a trash fetish episode but I don't recall if it was specifically eating it, more... being the trash, like being put in a binbag and put in the bin with the garbage, but hornily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That fetish belongs in the trash!!

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Every day someone with a humiliation fetish comes up with a new way to indulge and we all have to see it

Also, does the thread like combat reports? Like, I play this game nearly solely as a Global Tactical Engagements Sim (thank you Rimmunation and Aerocraft) but I feel like very few people are trying to play this game like it's XCOM like I do lmao

The Velvet Witch fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 28, 2023

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

HolHorsejob posted:

Rimworld: PLEASE LET ME PLEASURE MY DOG

Jay got sentenced to a couple years of manual labour after I noticed this.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Velvet Witch posted:

Every day someone with a humiliation fetish comes up with a new way to indulge and we all have to see it

Also, does the thread like combat reports? Like, I play this game nearly solely as a Global Tactical Engagements Sim (thank you Rimmunation and Aerocraft) but I feel like very few people are trying to play this game like it's XCOM like I do lmao

I've tried a couple times to make a Mother Base style military group and use SRTS planes to send out strike teams, but I always wind up getting sucked into building a fancy base and not actually sending anyone out :frogdunce: i can't wait for Vanilla Expanded Vehicles

E: oh god I went to check on VE:V only to find they released Vanilla Expanded: Highmates

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 28, 2023

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Lmao. They're catgirls now

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Anticheese posted:

Lmao. They're catgirls now

Rimworld: Lmao. They're catgirls now

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Danaru posted:

I've tried a couple times to make a Mother Base style military group and use SRTS planes to send out strike teams, but I always wind up getting sucked into building a fancy base and not actually sending anyone out :frogdunce: i can't wait for Vanilla Expanded Vehicles

E: oh god I went to check on VE:V only to find they released Vanilla Expanded: Highmates

Sending out little strike teams and having them actually link up with allied troops to liberate a city with equipment they made themselves scratches some kinda tactical itch for me that I cannot explain, love seeing em run around all tacticool like little marines aahhh

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
And cat boys <:mad:> Don't forget the cat boys

The Velvet Witch posted:

Sending out little strike teams and having them actually link up with allied troops to liberate a city with equipment they made themselves scratches some kinda tactical itch for me that I cannot explain, love seeing em run around all tacticool like little marines aahhh

If you haven't yet, check out Vanilla Expanded: Settlers. It adds a mission type where a faction calls you about a wanted criminal, it's like a normal attack mission but you get double the silver if you bring them to that faction alive. It's my favourite kind of quest :v:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 28, 2023

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Danaru posted:

And cat boys <:mad:> Don't forget the cat boys

If you haven't yet, check out Vanilla Expanded: Settlers. It adds a mission type where a faction calls you about a wanted criminal, it's like a normal attack mission but you get double the silver if you bring them to that faction alive. It's my favourite kind of quest :v:

I need to check that out for sure yeah, I was eyeing it in the workshop just now!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Velvet Witch posted:

i appreciate new ways of looking at and approaching combat situations since combat is such a huge part of this game and also one of the most gnarly.

i was just whining about the multi-direction raids so if you happen to find some sick way of fending off a 3-pronged assault i might appropriate ideas.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

There's also a bounties mod that lets you accept those kinds of missions or even put one up yourself

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Coolguye posted:

i appreciate new ways of looking at and approaching combat situations since combat is such a huge part of this game and also one of the most gnarly.

i was just whining about the multi-direction raids so if you happen to find some sick way of fending off a 3-pronged assault i might appropriate ideas.

(I have no idea what mods youre running and im high so)
Fighting on multiple fronts is wild and crazy and that's why I either try to funnel them all together or harass one group with the plane while ground units engage the other two. Usually I'll have one or two units with rockets trained on problem units like mounts and ESPECIALLY mechanoid anythings. I've found that a skilled rocketeer on the ground can kill mechanized groups better than a plane dropping bombs, although the softening of a bombing run does help the rifle users deal with them if your rocketeer gets Unlucky and a plane's pilot is arguably in less danger than a ground unit, be prepared to spend like 10-15 shells on something like that tho. Dont drop EMPs, fire them, your jet is also a machine!!!

When it comes to pure infantry v infantry I've had some success having units stack up close to each other so they can fire in unison or, preferably, one after the other as they move up, this goes insane against small scattered groups of enemies trickling into a fight or against one poor sap in cover you wanna take, if done right unarmored/lightly armored units will crumble as you advance on their positions, sometimes without even getting a shot off. I personally do not understand combat that isn't urban so I'm doing all this with the goals of taking and holding points between small skirmishes so this would suit a more open plan village style base.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you can assume i run no mods. that's not strictly true but the most impactful thing i currently have in there is animal biosculpter.

i'll comment further on some of your stuff a bit later, suffice it to say for now i don't think i can do what you're recommending.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

automated defenses are still a complete joke, not worth the time they take to build.

If you have sufficient access to steel, I really like adding autocannons to a large killbox. They'll absolutely wreck normal raids and manhunter packs, I keep them to the side and turn them off when enemies get close so that they're a lot less likely to be destroyed.

Normal turrets are pointless except for diverting sappers.

I often use uranium slug turrets too, they're very strong damage sources

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

The Velvet Witch posted:

Also, does the thread like combat reports?

I wouldn't mind hearing that, but with a disclaimer about what mods you're using, because it's very confusing when someone starts talking about their rim colony and just casually drops that they have some heavily modded tech tree or some poo poo. Leaves me wondering if after a thousand hours I'm some sort of scub for not knowing where to get an AI overmind pawn or some poo poo like that.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Busters posted:

I wouldn't mind hearing that, but with a disclaimer about what mods you're using

Oh for sure, I run a ton but nothing super wild(?) I think the most game changing are things like Aerocraft, Rimcities, Dynamic Diplomacy, Factional Wars- [scroll dropping and rolling out of the room gag].

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Busters posted:

I wouldn't mind hearing that, but with a disclaimer about what mods you're using, because it's very confusing when someone starts talking about their rim colony and just casually drops that they have some heavily modded tech tree or some poo poo. Leaves me wondering if after a thousand hours I'm some sort of scub for not knowing where to get an AI overmind pawn or some poo poo like that.

You can always ask! People itt love sharing their mod lists and mod recommendations. The game has so much content already that I don't think there's any shame in not knowing about the mod with chocobos or whatever

I run a lot fewer mods than most people itt, my favorite is Rimatomics just because of how bonkers its tech tree is; they developed any entire new research system and the reactor control interface is unlike anything else I've seen in the game. I also like Alpha Animals and Alpha Biomes because they provide a blast of alien flavor, the vanilla setting is nice but I like being able to toggle on all of this crazy stuff people have imagined

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

If you have sufficient access to steel, I really like adding autocannons to a large killbox. They'll absolutely wreck normal raids and manhunter packs, I keep them to the side and turn them off when enemies get close so that they're a lot less likely to be destroyed.

Normal turrets are pointless except for diverting sappers.

I often use uranium slug turrets too, they're very strong damage sources

the issue that i personally run into is that the design ethos for turrets is entirely around supporting pawns that are on the board, but that's precisely the problem; if i am going to commit pawns to the battle, i'm already bringing huge amount of investment to bear. like, this is one such pawn, Crica:

she alone can already turn away a small sized raid. I have 4 elites like Crica, and another 5 semi-badasses that have her bionics and her rank, but not her deep array of psycasts.

i don't have a problem with 'normal' raids as such, my primary problem is 3 large-ish raids that are launched from 3 distinct directions. as badass as she is, Crica cannot be everywhere at once.

fwiw, i'm not even playing on an elevated difficulty. since it's my first full game back i'm just playing on Adventure Story. that does not stop the game from spawning a raid from the local impid tribe that is comprised of 3 elements, all of which have 10-15 pawns; sometimes more. and because they are DISTINCT elements, i cannot simply focus on two of those elements and ignore the third one; in the time i am eliminating the targeted 2, the third has broken into my base and is wrecking my mechanoids, kidnapping my kids, setting fire to my storerooms, etc, and they are not breaking and running because while i've killed 20 idiots, i have killed 0 of THEIR idiots.

consequently my entire fighting ethos has revolved around ending fights quickly. i use lots of chain shotguns, monoswords/thunder hammers, and charge rifles. attackers get vertigo pulsed and berserk pulsed, and there is neither mercy nor hesitation after that. focus sees a ton of use too because it means more hits, more kills, faster fights. turrets all have low accuracy and terrible durability, which means that they are primarily useful if you have a dug in area that can take a lot of incoming fire, holding out while the turrets get the work done.

my problem being, of course, that i do not have the luxury of those sorts of fights. if i do not end fights quickly, the small squad i can spare to that front will be swamped. and let's not touch on the critical danger that is bleeding wounds with this situation.

i'm hoping that the genetics program i'm working on will help, i finally got everything i needed together to make this xenotype:

this will help solve the primary combat problems i have, which is mostly just hitting stuff reliably and bleeding, while also accomplishing a ton of other non-combat goals. incidentally, it was only after creating this xenogerm that i finally realized why you (i think it was you) talked about not waiting for a perfect set of genes and just started gene modding right away.

up until i created my first xenogerm, i had figured all of these things were one use. if i'd known better i would've been throwing in psychite dependent with strong melee damage and robust and crap years ago.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 28, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
yeah alcohol and psychite dependencies are "good" disadvantages, it's kind of hard to not take them. no thanks to space weed though

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Here's my most recent killbox

Less of a box and more of an enclosed field. Still, this is the route most hostiles take unless they're sapping or dropping directly into my base. For anyone wondering what those walls are at the top, that's Reinforced Depleted Uranium from Rimatomics with Plasteel barricades.

Pawns stand directly in front of the autocannons, which is safely inside the cannons' minimum range. The uranium slug turrets can't shoot toward the pawns thanks to the walls

You can't see it but there is another set of sandbags below the autocannons and to the left, with good line of sight on the killbox entance. Children go here. Children are equipped with sniper rifles

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Leal posted:

Rimworld: Lmao. They're catgirls now

:aaaaa:

MervBushwacker
Jun 18, 2018

QuarkJets posted:

Children are equipped with sniper rifles

Of course, keeps them out of harms way.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Rimworld:

QuarkJets posted:

Children go here. Children are equipped with sniper rifles

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Here's my most recent killbox

Less of a box and more of an enclosed field.

yeah, holy crap. even playing on a Large size map i can't imagine giving that much space up to defensive fortifications. to be clear, this is what i use as a perimeter fortification:

i have multiple fortifications like this. basically the defenders (of which there's usually no more than 4 even though the defensive room is built for 6) will start in the wooden hallway and get initial psycasts out, then fall back to the room with the barricades. melee blockers take position at the outlet, shotgunners just behind. overall goal is to kill the attacker before they can do any damage at all to the blockers. i put incendiary IEDs in forgotten corners for people to blunder into on occasion.

the real issue here is thusly:

i'm dug in to a natural valley, which is great, but there's flatly no way i could possibly have setups like that on all of my facings. simply building walls also is not an option, even if i were to tunnel through the mountains to allow attackers to walk around, their walk would be so far that they would prefer to kick down walls rather than obediently head to my killbox (i've seen this happen a few times before).

i can definitely see how having space for like 8 slug turrets would solve what i'm complaining about but i flat out can't conceive of how i would fit that crap on this map. if you look close on the right side you can see the edge of the map there.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
too many ears 0/10

e: i still think if you have a mod or expansion that has a personified img then you should be legally required to include it as a storyteller.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Haven't actually played since about two months after 1.4 came out. Any cool big mod releases since then?

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Kanos posted:

Haven't actually played since about two months after 1.4 came out. Any cool big mod releases since then?

I owe my life to aerocraft framework, planes are a game changer

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hmm

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Everything about that mod is "hmm".

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lt. Lizard posted:

Everything about that mod is "hmm".

To be fair, everything about highmates is "hmm."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, highmates are already genetically engineered psychic pleasure slaves, making them catgirls isn't really upping the weird factor very much.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
ngl the word at first made me think like, someone that's just constantly acting like a smokeleaf bong. like they smoke up and everyone around them gets to smoke up too.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kanos posted:

Have you heard of this highmates mod....

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's nothing stopping you from adding smokeleaf dependency.

I mean, besides taste and common sense.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

You can't see it but there is another set of sandbags below the autocannons and to the left, with good line of sight on the killbox entance. Children go here. Children are equipped with sniper rifles

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Can be clearly seen in this video, stationary weapon handling seems much more competent:

https://twitter.com/GwarWorin/status/1660260738563186689?s=20

Once more Rimworld true to real life.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 28, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

also related to the current conversation, loving excuse me, and WHERE was I???

this is just Brewer and Josh's like 6th child, no gene modding yet. i just put her into a growth vat to bypass infancy, and let her out the instant she turned "3". she's been out of the vat for, i dunno, like a week?

how in the gently caress did i randomly get a gunsaint

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Man I fondly remember early versions of this game where by the end I would have 20+ pawns and 20+ mortars when they didn't require ammo.

Siege would show up and sometimes in the first volley they would retreat. At least whatever made it to my killbox couldn't compete with my power armor m16 or pulse rifle squad.

Also I used to have a kill box that was just a room with a single turret so the masses would run in, melee it, and the explosion would kill a bunch of them. Then I upgraded it to three in a row and retreats typically happened by the 2nd room.

Sappers and drop pod assaults were such a good thing to add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Coolguye posted:

also related to the current conversation, loving excuse me, and WHERE was I???

this is just Brewer and Josh's like 6th child, no gene modding yet. i just put her into a growth vat to bypass infancy, and let her out the instant she turned "3". she's been out of the vat for, i dunno, like a week?

how in the gently caress did i randomly get a gunsaint

congratulations, you're getting an anime