Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Deki posted:

The one sweater looks amazing but I don't want to drop a hundred bucks on a sweater of unknown quality.

Surely the quality will be... satisfactory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Vulkan might be broken in the current experimental build. I tried it on an empty map with exactly the same settings as on dx12 and my fps went from 130+ down to ~60.

It used to run better for me back when they first introduced it but not anymore.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Whoever is outside yelling turn off lumen at my window shut up. I will never turn off lumen!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Is this a bug or is the game trying to mock me

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I have reluctantly concluded that cyclotron hypercannons are not really practical anymore. :(

My central cannon nexus, I have converted like so:

One 14-entrance linear cannon, fires into this set of 4 entrances controlled by switches:

So I can go pretty much anywhere, particularly with bio- or turbofuel jetpacking.

The problem is that while my cannon nexus is centrally located on the map, it's not really convenient to get to be anything but cannon. The rail line barely gets within 1km. My cannon transport system was kinda predicated on every major factory having a cannon. I'm not sure I want to do that with linear cannons. They're just so inefficient.

Twibbit posted:

Whoever is outside yelling turn off lumen at my window shut up. I will never turn off lumen!
Hell yeah!

SettingSun posted:

Is this a bug or is the game trying to mock me

Mocking. It's a long-standing running gag / troll by the devs. (First they just didn't capitalize "coal" by mistake. Everyone pointed it out, so they started an increasingly stupid series of misspellings and capitalizations in response. Now the game just randomly capitalizes things sometimes.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

There is probably a better way of getting all that pure iron down to where I have room to build some decent factories, but I sure as hell don't know it.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I actually like the water fall effect and sometimes use more elevators that are shorter to make it more pronounced or to follow the cliff face. If you want them to be more straight up and down, you could use floor holes from the ticket shop. Maybe delete the floor and add a wall support if it looks funny.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Are floor holes still horribly broken? As in, you use them and it snaps the line?

Do you need to build them a specific way?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The only issue I ever had with floor holes was sometimes pipes would wig out otherwise they were great.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, I think the last time i had any issues with the floor holes was when they were still a fairly new thing. just gotta make sure you're getting the *blip* noise that indicates you're actually aiming at them, and not accidentally dragging your aim past them and through the floor.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Plenty of room for a factory up at the top, just so long as you hate physics and structural plausibility!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

Plenty of room for a factory up at the top, just so long as you hate physics and structural plausibility!

That reminds me of my first coal power plant way back before you needed water. Just floating off the edge of the map

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Game breaking bug in the experimental Update 8: Some of my pipes look like I'm using the noodle setting, even when I'm not.

Balanced out somewhat by certain other pipes having a stylish new stripe pattern:

Lumen looks so good I don't even care that the game runs like poo poo, never turning it off. Think the performance hitches might be more of a Nanite/world partition thing than a Lumen one anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Packagers feeding into fuel generators? What's happening here?

--edit: Diluted packaged fuel? This actually more efficient?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Packagers feeding into fuel generators? What's happening here?

--edit: Diluted packaged fuel? This actually more efficient?

In terms of power output? Yes.

• Basic Turbofuel:
300 oil + 177 ccoal -> 222 turbofuel, 7333 MW
• Diluted Fuel:
300 oil -> 800 fuel, 10000 MW
• Turbo Blend:
300 oil + 150 sulfur -> 300 turbofuel, 10000 MW
• Turbo Heavy:
300 oil + 320 ccoal -> 320 turbofuel, 10666 MW

(All turbos calculated with heavy residue alt, but not diluted. Also note the opportunity cost of using sulfur / ccoal in the turbofuels. For example, if you burn 320 ccoal for power that adds another 3300 MW, putting diluted fuel back ahead again.)

In terms of effort? I've always thought the idea of using diluted packaged fuel was nuts, especially now that you can do blender diluted if you just wait for phase 4. Even with blueprints it's very fiddly.

But NESG starts at nuts and then goes super sayan 3 crazy with effort.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fender Anarchist posted:

Yeah, I think the last time i had any issues with the floor holes was when they were still a fairly new thing. just gotta make sure you're getting the *blip* noise that indicates you're actually aiming at them, and not accidentally dragging your aim past them and through the floor.
is there any advantage to using floor holes instead of just clipping through the ground? aside from aesthetic, i mean

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Think I’m going to start a new game with Lumen and never look back, have to consider how much sunlight a structure gets and work in more skylights all over the place

I’m dying for more lighting options but I do get that it’s not something they’re necessarily designing around

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

is there any advantage to using floor holes instead of just clipping through the ground? aside from aesthetic, i mean

Floor holes let you attach two conveyor lifts together vertically. If you're only going within the length of one lift though then it's just aesthetics.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ciaphas posted:

Not really. If you're trying to get a position just right it maybe gives you some more options.

I almost never use floor holes myself. For pipes I think stuff looks fine clipped straight into floors -- looks like the concrete got poured around the pipe or whatever. Conveyor lifts I either put them on the outside walls, or have a couple squares of service shaft to put all the up/down lifts in one place.

Hypertubes floor holes are the only one I use with any regularity, since hypertubes look bad when clipped into things.

e:

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I’m dying for more lighting options but I do get that it’s not something they’re necessarily designing around
They should just duplicate all the signs as a set of emissive-only panels. Set color & brightness level, that's it. That way they'd have much less performance overhead, plus they'd be faster to work with.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 19, 2023

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Klyith posted:

In terms of effort? I've always thought the idea of using diluted packaged fuel was nuts, especially now that you can do blender diluted if you just wait for phase 4. Even with blueprints it's very fiddly.

There's a brief period between early oil and completing Stage 3 of the Space Elevator when it's not entirely stupid to use Diluted Packaged Fuel. You won't have blenders yet and doing some basic automation for Heavy Modular Frames and Computers will probably be stressing your coal-based power grid, building a small 5GW power plant from an impure oil node isn't the worst idea. Besides that the recipe is mostly a relic from when blenders didn't exist and I can't think of any other niche cases when you would need it.

This one is 20GW since I didn't want to worry about power for a while but it's using a sort of modular setup that goes 5GW at a time. Didn't want to deal with balancing empty canisters throughout the whole system either so I split it into quarters.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 19, 2023

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Think I’m going to start a new game with Lumen and never look back, have to consider how much sunlight a structure gets and work in more skylights all over the place

This just popped up in my feed. I think if you're creative or have a good capacity for tedium you can do quit a lot already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRu_v9TXfs&t=294s

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This just popped up in my feed. I think if you're creative or have a good capacity for tedium you can do quit a lot already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRu_v9TXfs&t=294s

That’s good stuff. Not sure how I feel about using signs as emissives all over the place but if it works it works

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Diluted Packaged Fuel just kind of looks neat even if its more trouble to setup. Full cans go out, empty cans come back. Endless bottle cycle.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What do I need to do to start this with up to the coal power unlocked? I set it to Tier 3 and tried setting the space elevator to all of the options including the "unlock all" one and it still didn't seem like I could build them?

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

If they haven't changed it you can connect a single lift between two holes over any distance. Not sure that's really a reason you're looking for.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There's a brief period between early oil and completing Stage 3 of the Space Elevator when it's not entirely stupid to use Diluted Packaged Fuel. You won't have blenders yet and doing some basic automation for Heavy Modular Frames and Computers will probably be stressing your coal-based power grid, building a small 5GW power plant from an impure oil node isn't the worst idea.

Yeah, Diluted Packaged is 100% a good idea, just not something I enjoy setting up.

A big advantage for someone who builds on the scale you do is you don't need to take it down later. There's more than enough oil on the map, and you aren't sacrificing other resources. I like Heavy Turbo myself because it's an easy 10GW of power from a smaller build. But for you it's a waste of effort -- you'd want that sulfur back later. I can afford to "waste" a pure sulfur node.

(The fact that I do high-effort architecture for every major build I do heavily incentivizes recipes that produce more from fewer machines. 25 refineries versus 50 refineries isn't doubling my build time, more like quadrupling it.)

explosivo posted:

What do I need to do to start this with up to the coal power unlocked? I set it to Tier 3 and tried setting the space elevator to all of the options including the "unlock all" one and it still didn't seem like I could build them?

You need to set it to Tier 4 for coal -- the setting is "where you start work", not what you start with having unlocked.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Klyith posted:

You need to set it to Tier 4 for coal -- the setting is "where you start work", not what you start with having unlocked.
:doh:

Thank you!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I did tier 3 start, you have enough resources to unlock coal as a research option at your hub

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
The Diluted Packaged Fuel is also good because it's extremely satisfactory to watch your leftover polymer get turned into plastic get turned into containers to very very very slowly start up the whole thing. It's very inefficient but still extremely nice.

Same goes for Recycled Plastic/Recycled rubber factories very slowly starting itself up.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is there a trick to aligning water extractors to the grid? Mine are never aligned that nicely.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you build everything snapped to the world grid it seems to be easier

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Skunkduster posted:

Is there a trick to aligning water extractors to the grid? Mine are never aligned that nicely.

Build some foundation below the surface of the water. The extractor will then snap to it, then you can remove the foundation. After that, extractors snap to each other with ctrl.

Alternately, you can put down some pipe junctions and use ctrl snap to align the output line of the extractor to that. You have to get the rotation correct manually, but you have more analog positioning on the front-back axis.

euphronius posted:

If you build everything snapped to the world grid it seems to be easier

But the extractors don't snap to world grid do they?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah maybe they don’t. It’s been a while sorry

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I've fully mastered trains for use in my bamboo forest item mall.

Not sure if I can keep this up for the more demanding projects that come after this but the single back and forth line works for now. Going to watch hours of tutorials now so I can learn how to build out a functional rail network with proper junctions and signaling.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I've fully mastered trains for use in my bamboo forest item mall.

Not sure if I can keep this up for the more demanding projects that come after this but the single back and forth line works for now. Going to watch hours of tutorials now so I can learn how to build out a functional rail network with proper junctions and signaling.

Am I reading this right? You made a factory that used only cybertrucks before figuring out trains?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Man with Hat posted:

Am I reading this right? You made a factory that used only cybertrucks before figuring out trains?

And factory carts with bounce pads. Dudes a mad genius.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I encountered a weird bug in experimental multiplayer I've never encountered before. I'm the guest in mp game and weird things happen to me if I use a hypertube. I jump in and it spits me out out of the same entrance as if I was coming from the other way, but the host can see me travel the tube. After a few seconds my game locks up after what I guess is it having an issue resolving where I actually am, and I have to respawn.

This is actually a hilarious bug so I'm of two minds about it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Going to watch hours of tutorials now so I can learn how to build out a functional rail network with proper junctions and signaling.

Be warned that a few of the train signal tutorials on popular youtube channels are crap.

Notably there are a couple that say to do all junction signals "path in block out". This is dumb: simple junctions like a Y-split don't need path signals, and overuse of paths will slow down your trains.

(Why: when a train enters a block, it tries to reserve the next block on its route. For block signals this is basically instant. Path signals are much slower to respond. Until the path is reserved, the train treats the light as red. So if a train is driving at max speed, it may slow down when approaching a path signal. You can avoid this by having the section ahead of a path be nice and long, so the train has time to get the green before it needs to break. But it's easier to just avoid paths when they aren't needed.)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Man with Hat posted:

All the various intersections looked intimidating so I avoided trains entirely and used every dumb alternative I could think of instead. Working towards something in my new save which will require transporting 60,000 water/min into the sky and I think trains will be the only way to do it so I have to finally bite the bullet and figure them out. After having whole worlds running on ore drones/flying cyberwagons/factory carts on bounce pads I've run out of gimmicky ideas for long distance transportation anyway so I might as well do things in a sensible way for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The irony is that all of the other options you've used are orders of magnitude more complex than a double rail system.