Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I suspect SWTOR is Broadsword's most profitable title now so they'll probably continue adding stuff to it, especially since a bunch of the SWTOR team made the jump to Broadsword. I imagine it makes orders of magnitude more money than DAoC or UO. Not that that means much, I imagine those two games make enough to pay for themselves and not much more

Bioware is probably loving toast though, is my guess. I guess they're making a new Mass Effect, though, so maybe I'm wrong

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Bear in mind that Bioware has multiple studios, and Bioware Austin only worked on TOR. Possible that they're finally doing another game but given how big of a disaster Anthem was I imagine Bioware is not going to make an MMO again. Most likely Austin will die and maybe Quebec. I imagine Edmonton will keep chugging along.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oh I forgot about that. This is almost certainly leading to shutting down Bioware Austin, then, but not the rest of Bioware

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

We know that the BioWare we all know and use to love, is working on a new Mass Effect, and Dragon Age. These were games that have been confirmed. however, it has been years since anything more has been said about these games. We know absolutely nothing about them other than they exist and are in active development. BioWare has not put out an actual game in a real long time now.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Hopefully trimming this fat will expedite development of Anthem 2.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

Bear in mind that Bioware has multiple studios, and Bioware Austin only worked on TOR. Possible that they're finally doing another game but given how big of a disaster Anthem was I imagine Bioware is not going to make an MMO again. Most likely Austin will die and maybe Quebec. I imagine Edmonton will keep chugging along.

From reading twitter threads from the people who made the jump to Broadsword, it seems like Bioware Austin was basically its own entity that got next to no support and they're pretty happy about moving over to Broadsword

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Bioware became University of Alberta's darling overnight in the early 2000s and would get invited to haunt the CompSci meet-n-greets well into the mid-2010s. Athough to be fair they did harvest a fair bit of local junior dev labor from said meetings, the last time I saw their delegation there (around the time of one of the Dragon Age sequels) it was comprised of the most passionless-looking middle manager burnouts who seemed to be actively trying to sabotage the very company they bought stock in. Boy do I have some stories not fit for the radio from students that interned there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just a heads up: Embers Adrift no longer requires a subscription. Non-sub benefits are the same as if you had a sub before. So you lose nothing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You lose a lot just by even playing it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I mean that is true of any MMO, but we wouldn’t be here if we cared about that.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Just a heads up: Embers Adrift no longer requires a subscription. Non-sub benefits are the same as if you had a sub before. So you lose nothing.

You playing it still?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I went to check the forum and it is 2 people complaining about it being a group based game with horrible soloing and only like 40-60 people online.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Third World Reagan posted:

I went to check the forum and it is 2 people complaining about it being a group based game with horrible soloing and only like 40-60 people online.

there are only so many masochists that are the ideal player for that game, and most of them are playing Project: 1999 or any other flavor of old Everquest available

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That was brought up.

And the thing is, those people are mostly in those games. Not embers adrift.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

At risk of again asking the same question I've asked a half dozen times in this thread (but this time a little bit differently)... What currently available MMOs feature the most difficulty everywhere in the game (not just in grouped/endgame/mythic/heroic content)? Extra credit if it's semi-modern (ie. no older than WoW).

I'm having a hard time thinking of a game that fits that description that's still running with a decent player base.

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 28, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

kedo posted:

At risk of again asking the same question I've asked a half dozen times in this thread (but this time a little bit differently)... What currently available MMOs feature the most difficulty everywhere in the game (not just in grouped/endgame/mythic/heroic content)? Extra credit if it's semi-modern (ie. no older than WoW).

EVE Online.

Other than that, MMO difficulty is hard to define because the nature of their largely hotbar based combat means that there isn't a lot of technique to playing. You aren't dark soulsing your way through a fight. So the best thing to do for "difficulty" is just to make groups to make the combat easier.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, mmo difficulty is kinda weird

if you mean like "go out in the field with 5+ people and everyone has to keep on guard or everyone dies", i don't think that even exists anymore

that said, d&d online exists as a co-op dungeon crawler ("mmo" in gw1 style where only the towns are public instances), where you can solo most of the content even on highest difficulties once you're good at it, but until you get there it will keep murdering you brutally and without reservation in about half of level appropriate content

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kedo posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of a game that fits that description that's still running with a decent player base.

It's not consistent across the board but gw2 open world can be kind of involved and occasionally challenging in different ways including combat and navigation, especially in the HoT maps.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah gw2 has several maps where you will have to do specific things in specific orders and fights can be fairly involving

but on the account of it being content for 30-50 people, a lot of time time just pushing your autoattack button once will be enough to clear. they have a few fights where that's nowhere near enough and community sometimes goes insane over it.

(though they did somewhat mess up the last end of dragons fight because it's way too RNG, but that's technically a different issue)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

You occasionally had to dodge something in Wildstar, but I don't think that cuts it, and I'm not sure there even exists private servers for it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Truga posted:

yeah gw2 has several maps where you will have to do specific things in specific orders and fights can be fairly involving

but on the account of it being content for 30-50 people, a lot of time time just pushing your autoattack button once will be enough to clear. they have a few fights where that's nowhere near enough and community sometimes goes insane over it.

(though they did somewhat mess up the last end of dragons fight because it's way too RNG, but that's technically a different issue)

more than world bosses i was thinking of all the normal mobs that will down you extremely quickly if you don't know what they're doing and/or neglect to slot in any stun breaks

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
oh yeah, if you're running around solo gw2 is pretty rough in many areas, way more than the standard mmo where you can be sure to destroy anything non-worldboss at your level

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

THE BAR posted:

You occasionally had to dodge something in Wildstar, but I don't think that cuts it, and I'm not sure there even exists private servers for it.

Wildstar's private server scene was really slow going from the last time I remember looking at it. I'm not exactly sure why I keep up with it, maybe it's because I was only in on the game early and dropped out long before I saw any of the bad aspects.

They exist in some sort of playable state, though not as fully functional as something like a WoW private server.

I'm still patiently waiting on the Wizardry Online one to get somewhere.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

All I remember is making an uncanny Dr. Wily by accident. The game had a great character generator, because it went for that WoW-ish cartoony aesthetic.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’ve been waiting for the Everquest Online Adventures private server for like ten years and I still believe one day it will happen

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fair answer, but my god is this game so incredibly boring since I don't have time to engage in corporate shenanigans. I think the most fun I had was ninja salvaging because it felt risky, but otherwise I've bounced off the game probably a dozen times. I just don't know how to enjoy it.

Otherwise sounds like maybe I should give GW2 another look. It's been ages since I've touched that game... I remember enjoying it around launch, but getting distracted by something else and forgetting about it.

I miss the good ol' days of MMO worlds feeling dangerous. I'm mainly playing WoTLK classic atm and 99.99% of mobs outside of dungeons are made of paper, which just gets boooooring after awhile.

Anywho, thanks for indulging me folks!

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 28, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

kedo posted:

I miss the good ol' days of MMO worlds feeling dangerous. I'm mainly playing WoTLK classic atm and 99.99% of mobs outside of dungeons are made of paper, which just gets boooooring after awhile.

Anywho, thanks for indulging me folks!

This is a bit perplexing to me because even in classic WoW (pre-Wrath) the world wasn't actually dangerous, they just didn't tell you the level expectation for zones. Which led you to walk into a zone, get mauled by a high level enemy, then walk right back out again to where you were "supposed" to be. The game had a very set series of zones you were supposed to progress through that were moderately challenging til the endgame.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, to be fair in vanilla you would typically get bodied if you pulled 2-3 mobs on accident, but that was about it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kevin Bacon posted:

You playing it still?

Not much really, been so busy with a backlog of actual good games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Frog Act posted:

I’ve been waiting for the Everquest Online Adventures private server for like ten years and I still believe one day it will happen

You and me both. Realistically it'll never happen imo, but I wish the current owners of Everquest would bring it back for PC.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

It was the perfect MMO for this era in so many ways, im convinced a mobile + PC port would sell like gang busters as it could easily run on any smartphone and constitutes one of the most interesting, casual versions of norrath. I’m super mad it was shut down and completely forgotten

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

I would love this. Played EQ since the beginning, and EQ2, but never had the chance to play OA.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Eh, to be fair in vanilla you would typically get bodied if you pulled 2-3 mobs on accident, but that was about it.

Yeah, this is kinda what I'm talking about. Even in Wrath it feels like I pull 2-3 mobs on purpose and then 4 or 5 by by accident and I'm like, "oops I guess I'll have to pop one of my six cooldowns so I don't die," and it's just plain not challenging. At least in vanilla I had to plan my pulls and be careful when I was running around zones trying to avoid mobs.

I understand why this shift happened, it's just my least favorite thing about the genre, hence why I post about it every few months.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is a bit perplexing to me because even in classic WoW (pre-Wrath) the world wasn't actually dangerous, they just didn't tell you the level expectation for zones. Which led you to walk into a zone, get mauled by a high level enemy, then walk right back out again to where you were "supposed" to be. The game had a very set series of zones you were supposed to progress through that were moderately challenging til the endgame.

I mean so did pre-WoW MMOs, they just were willing to blend a few difficult mobs in with the weak, on top of other additional systems where players made the difference. The real "difficulty" was the amount of time spent leveling/progressing and the amount of penalty applied to death/failure.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

I mean so did pre-WoW MMOs, they just were willing to blend a few difficult mobs in with the weak, on top of other additional systems where players made the difference. The real "difficulty" was the amount of time spent leveling/progressing and the amount of penalty applied to death/failure.

Iirc wasn't Everquest largely based around questing as groups because even mid enemies would murder you solo unless you were super overleveled?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Iirc wasn't Everquest largely based around questing as groups because even mid enemies would murder you solo unless you were super overleveled?

iirc it depended a lot on your class, some could solo pretty well

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah way back in the day, some classes like the necromancer, and mage, were good at solo'ing, but for the most part you needed a group. It was much better to group with others. The level cap was only 50, and +10 new levels each expansion back then, but the experience curve to level up was massive, and enemies barely gave any experience back then as is. It took weeks to get a single level up, and you could de-level if you died.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Soloing in the EQ days usually required rather tedious kiting strategies that were still dependent on your 1990s dial-up connection not making GBS threads the bed, so grouping was still the superior option if you weren't a server pariah or a Beastmaster. It took until Seeds of Destruction with the introduction of mercenary NPCs that true solo play became viable, probably as a result of them falling far behind WoW's population curve and wanting to ensure that the new player experience wasn't abysmal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Modern day Everquest is something I wish I could get into. The UI is just terrible now though, and nothing makes any sense to me. The game feels pretty solo'able up until level 85, but then even with mercenaries you can't do much anymore and a group is required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

Frog Act posted:

I miss my Forester (ranger) so much!