Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like this is the third or fourth time someone's come out and said "Spike sucks" and everyone just collectively kind of forgets about it until the next time it comes up

I've always remembered because she would periodically take runs at my buddy Chris Sims when he worked at Comic Alliance for stuff he said on his personal blog when he was young and stupid that he had since apologized for and never done again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ugh, that sucks to hear. I've backed a lot of projects they've put out.

I've heard about the lovely things they did in like the early 00's, but figured it being "stupid kid" poo poo. But their campaigns now are centered on paying creators their dues.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Is that related to the stuff that they posted on their twitter?

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1668496867552813056?s=20

EDIT: Seems to be different but related drama, but it's interesting that in this thread from an ICC editor (quoted by Spike) he confirms that they're underpaid and that there are other "serious problems"

https://twitter.com/kellhound/status/1668309778819596288?s=20

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 15, 2023

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

What do you mean she cofounded the Burned Furs? Oh gently caress this. Why is real life so weird?!?

I know that was long-rear end time ago and people change but that represented a huge split in the community. I’d love to hear her side of the story on that one.

Edit: hmm

https://twitter.com/obliviousally/status/1669106204239450114

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 15, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Without getting too much into the weeds, what was the Burned Furs?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Burned Fur were from the start thinly veiled anti-LGBTQ garbage and always a little collective of Nazi furs :lol: there was never a point when they weren’t pure poo poo so to go “oh she only wrote their entire manifesto” is a galaxy brained take

Dawgstar posted:

Without getting too much into the weeds, what was the Burned Furs?

Back in like the early 00s it was a group of furries who got mad about more and more queer people becoming furries. They claimed they were against lewdness but it was always targeted at queer display and sexuality to the point they routinely threatened to kill people and even attempted to sabotage furry con events they deemed bad. Most the members, to the shock of no one, were eventually exposed to be big Nazi furs

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 15, 2023

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

^^^ way better explanation

It goes back into the mid-late 90s even. Furry conventions were one of the precious few places LGBTQ folks were accepted and could be openly affectionate. The Burned Furs tried to frame it as adults being sexually inappropriate in public where minors might see, an attitude that carried over into early internet - I hazard to guess it influenced these forums as well. So a gay couple kissing in a hotel lobby turned into “they’re forcing their fetish on the public!”

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This is referring to this essay? https://en.wikifur.com/wiki/This_Sordid_Little_Business

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Burned Fur were from the start thinly veiled anti-LGBTQ garbage and always a little collective of Nazi furs :lol: there was never a point when they weren’t pure poo poo so to go “oh she only wrote their entire manifesto” is a galaxy brained take
Yeah, I've never heard of this (not being part of any of these communities), but "she only wrote the manifesto for this hate group" is an absolutely wild take.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yep, which is written by one Charla Trotman.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Is that related to the stuff that they posted on their twitter?

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1668496867552813056?s=20

I'm feeling like I've seen that avatar before with a reference to drama in the past. but it's been a while and I can't remember for what, or if it was here or twitter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Anora posted:

I'm feeling like I've seen that avatar before with a reference to drama in the past. but it's been a while and I can't remember for what, or if it was here or twitter.

I think they were pretty notorious for not paying artists. Like just ignoring invoices and stuff. Could be thinking of a different rear end in a top hat though.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Years ago I backed a few of their Kickstarters and there was a lot of hoopla over stretch goals to increase artist pay rate, multiple updates encouraging people to pledge for that reason.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Years ago I backed a few of their Kickstarters and there was a lot of hoopla over stretch goals to increase artist pay rate, multiple updates encouraging people to pledge for that reason.

Yeah, every stretch goal is to increase pay for the artists. I think I got one that had a bonus for the backers (fancier cover). That's why I back a lot of their projects, seemed like they were good for the artists. I mean, I like the books, but I read anthologies like once.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

^^^ way better explanation

It goes back into the mid-late 90s even. Furry conventions were one of the precious few places LGBTQ folks were accepted and could be openly affectionate. The Burned Furs tried to frame it as adults being sexually inappropriate in public where minors might see, an attitude that carried over into early internet - I hazard to guess it influenced these forums as well. So a gay couple kissing in a hotel lobby turned into “they’re forcing their fetish on the public!”

And they try to get it going again every year during convention season. A few years back, they tried getting FurSquared kicked from their venue with fabricated accounts of public sex in the lobby.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

DantetheK9 posted:

And they try to get it going again every year during convention season. A few years back, they tried getting FurSquared kicked from their venue with fabricated accounts of public sex in the lobby.

Yup, but they go/we’re going under a new group name called Furry Raiders that was basically the same burned furs people but this time their private chats got leaked and they were all exposed as literal Nazis. People talk poo poo about furries but unlike a lot of online communities they run out Nazis without hesitation once they’re found out instead of turning a blind eye and letting them fester

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The username 'Iron Spike' seems familiar. Was she involved in some MRA stuff a while back?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Darth Walrus posted:

The username 'Iron Spike' seems familiar. Was she involved in some MRA stuff a while back?

I doubt it unless she was on the receiving end.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
So, huh...

https://twitter.com/mrmarkmillar/status/1674304172869427200
https://twitter.com/mrmarkmillar/status/1674305954626584576

Has he always been like this?

Cause da fck

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Millar, the exploding incest womb guy, a weirdo chud? The guy whose entire oeuvre consists of "cruelty is rad" has bad takes? Unthinkable!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Squidster posted:

Millar, the exploding incest womb guy, a weirdo chud? The guy whose entire oeuvre consists of "cruelty is rad" has bad takes? Unthinkable!

I know, I know.

It still has caught a lot of people off guard that he's saying this.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I remember that Millar was pro-Brexit, and it's not like reactionary political takes are that much of a surprise from the dude who brought us Ultimate Captain America, but this does mark a new low for the man.

To paraphrase something I said earlier in the thread about Bill Willingham, I already knew Millar was a shithead, but I wasn't aware he was also an idiot.

Bonus round: our old buddy Mike S. Miller, the Electronic Tigers guy, is popping up in a few threads on Twitter in defense of Millar and RFK Jr.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Joe Rogan podcasts may emit a special sonic frequency that makes brains melt.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/nebsgoodtakes/status/1674289953013104641?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Shageletic posted:

gently caress

Hey at least it's fake, as opposed to yet another comics dude being a piece of poo poo.

I mean there's a 100% chance there's yet another comics dude being a piece of poo poo, but this isn't one of those times.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

poo poo like this sucks on so many levels. Falsely accusing someone is bad enough for that person of course but it really hurts people that have legitimate claims as well. This piece of poo poo did a lot of harm. And for what? Because they didn't like a story. That's so hosed up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

we finally found him, the one Inhumans fan, unfortunately he seems to have been driven insane by the isolation

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Last Call posted:

I know, I know.

It still has caught a lot of people off guard that he's saying this.

It's caught me off guard, and I used to be a regular on Millar's forums. Sad that he's contracted brainworms - he was never as bad as the edgelording would make you think.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jedit posted:

It's caught me off guard, and I used to be a regular on Millar's forums. Sad that he's contracted brainworms - he was never as bad as the edgelording would make you think.

It does seem that eventually the irony leads to full-throated endorsement for some, for others they back off in absolute horror that people actually believe the poo poo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The thing with Millar that I always respected is that he apparently got his co-creators paid for their work when it hit big on TV or movies. There’s sadly no guarantee of big writers doing that.

The fact he has lovely politics isn’t all that surprising just based on his work though. Extreme edgelord energy.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Millar being a libertarian is the least surprising reveal since Arkham Knight

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I admit, I thought Millar was a fake dumbass for money. I'm pretty sure he's not a Trump dumbass, and I thought was wasn't a Brexit dumbass. Being an RFK-Joe Rogan dumbass is a new and unusual type I've never encountered or really heard about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StumblyWumbly posted:

I admit, I thought Millar was a fake dumbass for money. I'm pretty sure he's not a Trump dumbass, and I thought was wasn't a Brexit dumbass. Being an RFK-Joe Rogan dumbass is a new and unusual type I've never encountered or really heard about.

RFK dumbasses are 'left' or livertarian people who are convinced they are Very Smart and want to shake up the system and intend to do it by voting for the anti-vax right wing scion of a political dynasty. Joe Rogan appeals to similar types who mistake being contrarian with having a brain.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Musk/Rogan/RFK and even Peterson all seem to partly appeal to people who are only superficially interested in politics or don’t engage much with social media, at least not enough to know much about how these people really are.

I’m not saying that Millar can’t be a a terrible person, I’m just not ruling out that he is completely ignorant instead.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
literally all I can think of when I think of Mark Millar is that time Grant Morrison said if they ever saw Millar crossing the street they'd run him down in their car.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Oasx posted:

Musk/Rogan/RFK and even Peterson all seem to partly appeal to people who are only superficially interested in politics or don’t engage much with social media, at least not enough to know much about how these people really are.

I’m not saying that Millar can’t be a a terrible person, I’m just not ruling out that he is completely ignorant instead.

I am, because those dudes are pretty open about their abhorrent beliefs. Millar would have to be extremely stupid to believe RFK's figleaf of running as a Democratic. And the figleaf isn't just for RFK, but also for his followers. They aim for the 'Independents' who are just GOP conservatives temporarily embarrassed by the party (until it is time to vote anyways).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

literally all I can think of when I think of Mark Millar is that time Grant Morrison said if they ever saw Millar crossing the street they'd run him down in their car.

quote:

Q: He still lives in Glasgow, is there a chance of bumping into him?
A: There's a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I'm going 100 miles an hour when it happens.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kchama posted:

I am, because those dudes are pretty open about their abhorrent beliefs. Millar would have to be extremely stupid to believe RFK's figleaf of running as a Democratic. And the figleaf isn't just for RFK, but also for his followers. They aim for the 'Independents' who are just GOP conservatives temporarily embarrassed by the party (until it is time to vote anyways).

I see people who don't live in America not understanding the details of who popular figures are.

Though I also wouldn't have an opinion about foreign leaders without digging into those details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I remember Millar throwing support behind someone awful a year or two but then he was like "whoops didnt realize they were awful" a few days later, does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about