Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kingturnip posted:

Sunak isn't going to do anything about inflation because he wants to get a well-paid job when he inevitably quits a year after the next General Election.
All he has to do is the Truss / Kwarteng thing of sticking around until just before everything goes to poo poo, and then getting paid thousands for speaking engagements at libertarian think tanks to say it would have worked had the cowards not chickened out just before it paid off.

OwlFancier posted:

A fun tie can be nice but I admit I haven't bought one in a decade because I got some nice ones and they don't wear out so... why would I need new ones for how often I wear them?

[FAILURE: INLAND EMPIRE]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’m glad men’s fashion is super limited because I cannot be hosed to have to engage with it in any meaningful way and it’s all so uncomfortable. I will genuinely never understand people who enjoy wearing suits or even just button up shirts.

I buy the cheapest pair of black trousers and a white shirt from Asda the once in a blue moon I have to “dress up” and then immediately cram it in the back of a wardrobe or drawer somewhere never to be thought of again.

If it’s not an occasion I can just wear shorts and a t-shirt it can gently caress off for the most part, tbh.

I have a similar philosophy, except that I just stick with jeans/cargo shorts and button-up shirts (long or short-sleeved depending on the weather) because they're both smart enough and casual enough for pretty much any social situation. T-shirts are for the gym.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sanford posted:

Yeah cloaks are loving awesome, especially with a hood. I’ve not had the gall to wear one since I was a teen.

You should... For the Greater Good

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PaulBennison/status/1673773818324688897

:toot:

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
If it weren't for graphic tee printing I'd have barely any way to express myself.

Also, it was deeply gratifying that I could get a Statler and Waldorf Hawaiian print shirt and swim shorts.

Until we get rid of reckless consumerism and fast fashion, at least let me wear whatever weird poo poo I like, now I finally have the confidence to not care what strangers think of what I wear.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You should... For the Greater GHood

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

this how i imagine myself when i play Civ

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Oh dear me posted:

These things are related, though. People notice more if women don't change their outfits much, and there is definite pressure to wear lots of different things.

Women also come under immense pressure for dressing wrong and can easily be labelled a prude or slut for showing too much/too little skin, too masculine/feminine depending on if they’re wearing suits or dresses, criticises on the amount of make-up (too much or too little) and the need to look professional.

With the additional choice comes social condemnation if one of the dozens of invisible and arbitrary social tripwires are triggered.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/status/1673685673075781633

:allears:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Looking forward to the Corbn cadaver synod

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Sir Kier Starmer was an enabler of Jeremy Corbyn. Sir Kier Starmer had always been an enabler of Jeremy Corbyn.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I've got nothing but character assassination, but my opponent has no character......

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Looks like Thames Water might be going bust. 15 million customers! I used to work for them and it doesn't surprise me in the slightest: they'd built up this network of shell companies to shuffle money around (hq'd in a convenient tax haven) and loaded the company up with billions in expensive debt while spraying dividends at the shareholders and running down the infrastructure.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Way to make me vote for Keir just to prove how much I hate him I guess?

Like seriously, the boogieman of Corbyn is just comical now. Even the various never Corbyn people around here are like "he wasn't THAT bad..."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Corbyn did a quote from a poem by Shelley (Rise up like lions) on twitter and the usual suspects are going bonkers because they think Corbyn wrote it so they're slagging it off, saying it's bad poetry, antisemitic because it has the word 'dew' in it (and we all know what rhymes with dew don't we boys and girls).

(It might be bad poetry in some peoples' eyes but not because Corbyn wrote it. Looks alright to me but then I'm a "I know what I like" person when it comes to artistic endeavour.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He did that during his tenure as leader of the labour party, it featured in a big promo video. It's directly related to the slogan of the party under his tenure. loving goldfish brained people.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

He did that during his tenure as leader of the labour party, it featured in a big promo video. It's directly related to the slogan of the party under his tenure. loving goldfish brained people.

Awful of him to rip off Steve Coogan like that. Corbyn must condemn.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It also upset some prominent zoological experts

https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1673963975954911232?t=qjyM-3knJE54-d4-3UoO8A&s=19

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Looks like Thames Water might be going bust. 15 million customers! I used to work for them and it doesn't surprise me in the slightest: they'd built up this network of shell companies to shuffle money around (hq'd in a convenient tax haven) and loaded the company up with billions in expensive debt while spraying dividends at the shareholders and running down the infrastructure.

Well perfect time to nationalise it while it's on discount then.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/keewa/status/1673974546162933761?t=zfkZK37kDcacZhm5_qKyiA&s=19

Sad to live in a world where this lad is allowed to believe that he's clever

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

If they just clicked on the link they'd discover that its a tweet promoting a poetry collection. I've gone out of my way to read all sorts of shite about the British left, and even I'm not making an effort for that. If I had a twitter account I'd have scanned the tweet, seen what was up and immediately forgot about it and moved on to something else.

People that got upset it read it and it ruined their day.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I used to work in a charity shop but the "secret back space" was basically a cupboard big enough for two people to stand in very cosily, so we didn't have any secret hoards.

When you put it like that I wonder how many secret knee tremblers went on, though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I will, I think, always remember the guest lecture I had at uni by Richard Bartle who was very involved in the development of early text based video games and multi user dungeons, which are basically text based MMOs.

He said that this is a very common rationale given for why men play women but that the proportions of people playing cross-gender have not really changed since before there was anything to look at, arse or no :v:

Being old enough to both play and run MUDs, this is absolutely true.
(Totally didn't do that myself for reasons oh no *whistles*)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's weird how the people who hate Corbyn the most tend to be thick is pigshit. I'm sure it's just correlation.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I want Corbyn to tweet "there's no such thing as society" so I can watch the gammons absolutely poo poo on it, say it's wrong, say it's the most dreadful thing anyone could say and that anyone saying it should be shot and buried in a shallow ditch

And then enjoy the subsequent backpedalling :allears:

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Asset stripped by Macquarie you say? Better nationalise those losses pronto so we can sell it on and start the whole process again. How dumb is it that water companies are not publicly owned?

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1673982325791522816

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1674023396730892290?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Homeopathic opposition.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 28, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Already gone

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/sh44sti/status/1674025599021490180?t=IFyLG2mEqSgUFZn73zFtbA&s=19

Lol

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
"UK government and Ofwat holding discussions amid fears Thames Water cannot survive because of huge debt pile"

Ofwat mate

Oct 4, 2005

I Hate Keir Starmer

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

MeinPanzer posted:

"UK government and Ofwat holding discussions amid fears Thames Water cannot survive because of huge debt pile"

Ofwat mate

Discussions apropos Ofwat?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
So loving depressing that the country's spiralling into the gutter and Labour have a firm polling lead on the pledge that they'll do absolutely nothing about any of it. loving crazy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thames Water could be sold to Updog unless they install a henway.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I see the occasional tweet asking why Labour won’t suggest anything progressive, when their poll lead gives them a lot of buffer to do so. Hint: they’re right wing and they just don’t want to do anything progressive. They just want to get into power, keep things as they are, and enrich themselves and their buddies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What I don't understand is why bother announcing and retracting things.

Like, the retraction isn't going to matter, just lie and say you'll do it and then don't. Nobody's going to go "ah well they said they wouldn't so that means I can't be mad" if you don't give people what they want they're still gonna loving hate you once you're in government.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

What I don't understand is why bother announcing and retracting things.

Like, the retraction isn't going to matter, just lie and say you'll do it and then don't. Nobody's going to go "ah well they said they wouldn't so that means I can't be mad" if you don't give people what they want they're still gonna loving hate you once you're in government.

It actually seems to be a bizarre form of campaigning. The act of withdrawing pledges is itself a demonstration of how sensible, pragmatic, and untethered from ideology you are. It's like a warped, cancerous development of Obama's 'don't do stupid poo poo' philosophy, where pledges are actually introduced for the sole purpose of being removed.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
It's the mark of Serious Adults™ to make Tough Decisions™ like "Sorry, we simply cannot afford to let you have a better life that would also generate a lot of tax income for us".

By creating and immediately cancelling as many policies as possible, Labour has discovered an infinite source of Tough Decisions™. The only things that matter are Seriousness and Adulting; concerns such as the content of the policies or whether there should be some non-cancelled policies are secondary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would call that "showing weakness" if it were in response to criticism but given that they appear to be just retracting them unprompted it verges more into "having an argument with yourself" territory.

Like you suggested the policy, if it was a bad one why did you do it? Why do you keep doing it to the point that it appears to be some kind of kink thing where you just really get off on announcing policies and then retracting them?

They've been doing it non stop for years, I can't see how it doesn't just make them seem like you should assume anything they say will be retracted within a day or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I would call that "showing weakness" if it were in response to criticism but given that they appear to be just retracting them unprompted it verges more into "having an argument with yourself" territory.

Like you suggested the policy, if it was a bad one why did you do it? Why do you keep doing it to the point that it appears to be some kind of kink thing where you just really get off on announcing policies and then retracting them?

They've been doing it non stop for years, I can't see how it doesn't just make them seem like you should assume anything they say will be retracted within a day or so.

Exactly. They're the party of sober, serious debate and careful cost analysis, not blind ideology, which is why it is in fact cool and good for them to do gently caress-all except funnelling money to their mates. It was a thoroughly considered decision by political minds far more intelligent, informed, and far-thinking than your own.