Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

prom candy posted:

So then I guess ideally for me I'd produce the video or post or whatever and then that would be the end of it. If someone had questions they could ask me or if enough people had questions I could set up an optional meeting where only people who read/saw the thing and cared enough could come talk about it. The last thing I want to do is present to people who are only attending because it's on their calendar.

What it kinda seems like to me is that they have ceratin recurring meetings then things that roughly fit bill are slated into them. I've been attending some other meetings as well where it appears that the meeting is on the calendar and then the person or people running it need to go out of their way to find content for it. This seems backwards to me if the goal is efficiently share information but maybe I'm looking at it all wrong and the actual goal is to have a meeting and increase collaboration. If that's the case I guess I'm not going to get anywhere by "helpfully" trying to turn a talk into a blog post.

The goal is for your to raise your own visibility and show how important you are. That's it. The actual content is mostly irrelevant, as long as everyone agrees that you appear to know things and can "knowledge share" and "collaborate". Any knowledge gained by others is a happy accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Never assume your audience will do any homework, they all have poo poo to do. Even if you assign time for people to read something, they will still get distracted.

the sad bit was the homework was agreed on as a way to cut down on how long we were spending talking through things because some people’s heads are just completely empty and they needed to be reminded about how our tech stack worked if they hadn’t seen some bit of it within the last 48 hours

unsurprisingly the people who wouldn’t do the homework were the people who the homework was aimed at in the first place lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Most meetings should be held for the purposes of making specific decisions or plans, or to coordinate activity between dependent groups. To reduce the number of meetings, identify what decisions are currently being made in the existing meetings and remove people not necessary to make them, and reorganize the responsibilities of teams to make them require less coordination.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Videos / gifs to demonstrate clicking a few buttons to get a result are pretty handy and make talks less stressful, but personally I just avoid videos whenever possible.

My guess is your talks should be very high level. The expectation should be that folks should know what the tech you're talking about does well, what it does poorly, and what the other options are. For any details like specific syntax or install instructions, just point them to the documentation because nobody will remember anyway. The goal is to share knowledge within this 150 person company, so someone can hear what you're doing and follow up on it if they realize it is relevant to what they're doing, not so they can take over maintenance of it.

The talk should feed into writing up documentation on the internal wiki.

Volmarias posted:

The goal is for your to raise your own visibility and show how important you are. That's it. The actual content is mostly irrelevant, as long as everyone agrees that you appear to know things and can "knowledge share" and "collaborate". Any knowledge gained by others is a happy accident.
This except I think knowledge is cool.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah StumblyWumbly gives the most adult answer. They won't do the homework and will tl;dr it. You will be lucky if they remember what you say. Somebody will remember you know about the stack if it comes back later.

I don't know about changing the meeting culture. I can't imagine being the sole vehicle for change is going to do it. At any rate, it is not some kind of recurring workgroup they are asking you to start, so your overall burden to that culture isn't large.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Also way better to be asked to sometimes give a talk than eighteen stakeholder meetings with suits that don't understand what you're doing so just remember things could always be worse.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think maybe my best bet is to see if I can weasel out of some of my recurring meetings and then just play along with doing the talks if that's what people here are into. My goal definitely wasn't that everyone would watch a video or read an article and then come to a meeting, but rather to create some material for the maybe 5 people who actually cared and not waste any time giving a presentation I don't really want to give to 40 people who don't really want to watch it.

Across any two week period I have 13 recurring meetings which probably doesn't seem like a lot to some of you but before we got acquired I had 0 so it's a pretty significant change for me. Hopefully next job will be a boostrapped company with <10 employees again because I've found that's the environment I really like to work in.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I mean that's 1.3 meetings per day, I agree that's a lot to have as a baseline amount without taking into account smaller things like daily standups or whatnot. Think about the context switching that requires for someone

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I have 3 weekly meetings (my subteam, 1:1 with my boss, and company All Hands which really should have a longer period) and two other meetings that are done twice/once a month.

That's fine, but 13 meetings in two weeks sounds terrible.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

prom candy posted:

Across any two week period I have 13 recurring meetings which probably doesn't seem like a lot to some of you but before we got acquired I had 0 so it's a pretty significant change for me. Hopefully next job will be a boostrapped company with <10 employees again because I've found that's the environment I really like to work in.

Yeah I definitely would raise this to your management and be like 'hey I'm wasting 13 hours here that isn't useful to me and it's not just boring but also affecting my ability to complete my work'. I have like...three a week or so outside of standups.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
13 a fortnight?

I average 30.

God I need to get paid more.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

prom candy posted:

Across any two week period I have 13 recurring meetings which probably doesn't seem like a lot to some of you but

I work at a megacorp. At it's nadir when my site had the lowest organizational health scores of all sites in the world, I didn't have 13 recurring meetings over two weeks.

Another nasty problem particular to recurring meetings is they set the tempo for their topic and that tempo is usually slower than it needs to be. People will just wait for the next meeting to bring up something that came up immediately after. I consider it major source of why large companies are slow.

Edit: "nasty program." Can't even blame autocorrect for that.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 20, 2023

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I work at a megacorp. At it's nadir when my site had the lowest organizational health scores of all sites in the world, I didn't have 13 recurring meetings over two weeks.

Another nasty program particular to recurring meetings is they set the tempo for their topic and that tempo is usually slower than it needs to be. People will just wait for the next meeting to bring up something that came up immediately after. I consider it major source of why large companies are slow.

Yep; this is useful for some things that don't need to be done regularly, but for a lot of things it just slows it down a ton.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Another nasty problem particular to recurring meetings is they set the tempo for their topic and that tempo is usually slower than it needs to be. People will just wait for the next meeting to bring up something that came up immediately after. I consider it major source of why large companies are slow.

Edit: "nasty program." Can't even blame autocorrect for that.

That's the thing I find strange. Things that seem pretty urgent to me are put off so that 2-3 people can discuss it in a meeting of 9 people. I guess I would just kinda expect people to self organize on these types of things? For what it's worth everyone in the company that I've talked to seems really smart and they're all great to deal with and super helpful when I slack them about stuff. This is maybe just a thing that's slowly happened over time and nobody's super happy about it but they're used to it.

Aaronicon posted:

13 a fortnight?

I average 30.

God I need to get paid more.

Are you in management at least?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

prom candy posted:

Are you in management at least?

Technically, I guess. My title at the moment is 'Technical Manager' which is the highest technical role in the org without having line management responsibilities, or before your technical aptitude and experience doesn't matter as much as your people management skills. For example, we have a Chief Software Engineer who's two levels above me, but they've never written a line of code in their life, or at least in the past few decades.

I think our problem is more we're a government agency trying to do agile, but in a way that doesn't force everyone else in the org to go agile, while also being chronically understaffed, so everyone has to wear multiple hats. The cliches about public servants aren't all true, but there's definitely some people around here whose entire life is running down the clock until retirement.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Aaronicon posted:

Technically, I guess. My title at the moment is 'Technical Manager' which is the highest technical role in the org without having line management responsibilities, or before your technical aptitude and experience doesn't matter as much as your people management skills. For example, we have a Chief Software Engineer who's two levels above me, but they've never written a line of code in their life, or at least in the past few decades.

I think our problem is more we're a government agency trying to do agile, but in a way that doesn't force everyone else in the org to go agile, while also being chronically understaffed, so everyone has to wear multiple hats. The cliches about public servants aren't all true, but there's definitely some people around here whose entire life is running down the clock until retirement.

That sounds unbelievably draining, drat.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Aaronicon posted:

What do words even mean anymore?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I got an urgent email marked "High Priority" last night at midnight.

It's our DevOps team that found out the AWS account created on my behalf doesn't meet our new established account naming conventions.

Like, that's fine, do what you need to do clerically dude, but it's just not a high priority request. I know you recently got promoted into an architect role, it doesn't make everything you do important, dingus

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Jen heir rick posted:

What do words even mean anymore?

as near as i can tell the previous chief architect at my company just spent all day in his office playing doom and going to meetings (he was a seventy year old japanese guy). i saw him pass the time in a meeting by getting shenmue to work on a dreamcast emulator on his phone.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Macichne Leainig posted:

I got an urgent email marked "High Priority" last night at midnight.

It's our DevOps team that found out the AWS account created on my behalf doesn't meet our new established account naming conventions.

Like, that's fine, do what you need to do clerically dude, but it's just not a high priority request. I know you recently got promoted into an architect role, it doesn't make everything you do important, dingus

:psyduck:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

as near as i can tell the previous chief architect at my company just spent all day in his office playing doom and going to meetings (he was a seventy year old japanese guy). i saw him pass the time in a meeting by getting shenmue to work on a dreamcast emulator on his phone.

That's the dream tho

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This guy is probably the best chief architect you could hope for tbqh. Won't step all over your plans, knows at least something about computers, willing to stand out of the way and let others do work instead of micro managing, keeps up with technology and tries to work backwards compatibility into plans.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Now I know what I want to be when I grow up :swoon:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Volmarias posted:

This guy is probably the best chief architect you could hope for tbqh. Won't step all over your plans, knows at least something about computers, willing to stand out of the way and let others do work instead of micro managing, keeps up with technology and tries to work backwards compatibility into plans.

Yeah and you just know if you actually get them talking anything tech it's gonna be way over your head anyway

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

The world's only cool architect and he is old enough to be retiring smh

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

he just like me fr fr

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Last year I worked for a startup, like employee #2. I built the entire alpha, worked a ton, got yelled at a lot, and was fired after three months. The worst part was that it was an all remote job, and I felt very alone in how hard of a time I was having. I didn’t know how to schedule a meeting with a coworker to say, “so… are you miserable too?”

This month a former coworker from there started a little Signal group for tech devs he knows, including a lot of ex-employees from that startup.

Today it was like a dam broke, and it turned into a hatefest of our former employee. All the complaints and all the stories poured out about all the poo poo that happened to everyone.

And it feels amazing.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
"sorry we are already paying for visual studio, we won't be paying for jetbrains as well"

Well that's stupid but whatever, I'll just buy a 3 year license for myself.

4 months later

"Hey everyone, we've bought you all jetbrains licenses"

:argh:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mega Comrade posted:

"sorry we are already paying for visual studio, we won't be paying for jetbrains as well"

4 months later

Surely you can expense that now?

lol jk

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

4 months later

No joke contact jet brains support and see if they’ll prorate a refund.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I just got hired for a new senior frontend job in April but I would like a raise. In 3 months there will be a performance review and a bonus, but I want a raise in salary too if possible. What can I do to make that happen?

So far, I have a Google doc outlining the work I've done. It's a remote job so I've been scheduling coffee chats with everybody and getting to know people on the team.

But I need to make myself more visible. I am helping my coworkers - we've got a slack channel where people ask for help and I try to contribute to that. I arranged a meeting last Friday where I looped in one of our product owners and our UX designer to go over this feature I'm working on and iron out some questions.

My manager has been quite helpful and flexible - the job is based on the east coast, I'm on the west coast, and standup is at 7am, but he understands if I get up at 9 instead. We've been talking about setting goals and expectations but he seems kind of hesitant to do so until the 90 day probation period is over. I'd like to just ask "what do you need me to do to get a raise?"

There's more details but it would be helpful if someone has a guide of tips.

I've been trying to do freelance as well but that hasn't really panned out, the people I've talked to just aren't interested or perhaps I just suck at selling myself.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 28, 2023

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You almost certainly won't get one, unless you're so clearly valuable and bring paid before market rate that you're both a flight risk and they can't afford to lose you. The right time to bring up a raise is probably now, if not 6 months before review time, but since you were JUST hired you implicitly agreed that this pay rate was ok, so I can't imagine this going anywhere.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Getting a raise before you've put in a year is basically impossible unless that was one of the terms of your employment.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 28, 2023

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Best way to get a raise in a year is probably to job hop to a higher paid position. Is the pay untenable or do you just want more?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I am on the review panel at my workplace and we often see people laying the groundwork for a payrise a few months in advance. Doing coffee chats and getting facetime with the team is all good stuff, but keep in mind they won't wash with most employers as they will see have seen these strategies before. They're more 'nice to haves' that pad out bottom-line business benefits you offer - unfortunately no one is gonna give you more pay for just being a nice guy. Keep up the good habits, though, and mention at your performance review that you'd like to know what you could do to get a payrise in future. Try and get your employer to agree to some measurable performance indicators and then use that as as your goal for the next 6 months/1 year.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Cat Machine posted:

mention at your performance review that you'd like to know what you could do to get a payrise in future. Try and get your employer to agree to some measurable performance indicators and then use that as as your goal for the next 6 months/1 year.
Here's an uncalled for, pessimistic take: In reality, those indicators will change in the next quarter, or your boss will get swapped out for another one a couple months before the performance rewards are decided. Then, when you try to assert that you delivered on what was agreed upon at the time, long after the decisions have been made, they will just blow smoke and say that the leadership doesn't see the value anymore and and and

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

and and and you serve your two years then get a better paying job elsewhere lol

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Hughlander posted:

No joke contact jet brains support and see if they’ll prorate a refund.

Contact them on your employers time since this is their fault.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Cat Machine posted:

and and and you serve your two years then get a better paying job elsewhere lol

I'm convinced this is the best way to do it. You don't potentially piss off your team members trying to be their boss, you don't spend a year or more busting your rear end for a 5% raise (or nothing at all). You interview for a couple months, put some extra effort in for a 4 hour interview and make a clean break for 20%+ more and a clean slate of expectations from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It is absolutely the best way to do it.

Just avoid the stupid company politicking for your sanity. It requires a lot of upkeep for appearances and whatnot for some very questionable results