Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What kind of things could be added to make the overworld meaningful to engage with?

World bosses appearing more often, matchmaking / LFG, I want more features that let you group with people in the open world within the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So LVG and I played hundreds of hours of Diablo 3 together at the beginning of our relationship, and on Monday she found out that Diablo IV also does local coop and bought it so we could play together again.

I am now a level 20 big beefy barbarian (she is a fire sorceror) and we are just trying to find our feet and understand the differences between this and Diablo 3 while we make our way through the campaign. I have to say, the visual presentation (both the UI and just the general look of the world) is kind of unmatched. The sounds of everything as well - really knocked out of the park.

For a pair like us, who play now and then, there is so much to do. Not just the campaign but the world events and the dungeons then the extra difficulty settings in WT3 and 4 when we finish the campaign. We already think it easily better than three. So much about the way it works I do not fully understand, and I should really get on and sort my barbarian quest out too - she just runs very slowly and I have spent so much time taking her round the fractured peaks looking for world events and dungeons that I am forgetting to actually do the story.

I did try D2R a few weeks ago but found it a bit of a struggle. The loot being so abundant but having to go back and forth so much to get rid of it - plus the inventory management. I think D4 is the perfect mix of 3 and 2's management. This games feels like a sequel to D2R with a ton of the best things of D3 (like controller being so good) but then some super cool things from D2, like the skill tree choice of how to beef yourself up, and the atmosphere feeling as dingy and dark as D2.

I am really surprised and really happy I am playing :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What kind of things could be added to make the overworld meaningful to engage with?

Reduce the size of the overworld by about 40%. More practically speaking, have more varied events with better rewards (you basically outgear WT4 whisper caches before you can even do the level 70 capstone lol) and make it so the horse doesn't get stuck on every piece of terrain.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also make horses take move speed bonuses into account. My rogues are both faster than a horse and it's annoying at this point to even mount up on my rogue.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Games Forum posted:

I did try D2R a few weeks ago but found it a bit of a struggle. The loot being so abundant but having to go back and forth so much to get rid of it - plus the inventory management.
First thing you gotta learn about D2 is that you can leave 95% of all that loot on the ground. If you ever go back to D2, which you should because it rules, consider that to save your sanity.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Games Forum posted:

So LVG and I played hundreds of hours of Diablo 3 together at the beginning of our relationship, and on Monday she found out that Diablo IV also does local coop and bought it so we could play together again.

I am now a level 20 big beefy barbarian (she is a fire sorceror) and we are just trying to find our feet and understand the differences between this and Diablo 3 while we make our way through the campaign. I have to say, the visual presentation (both the UI and just the general look of the world) is kind of unmatched. The sounds of everything as well - really knocked out of the park.

For a pair like us, who play now and then, there is so much to do. Not just the campaign but the world events and the dungeons then the extra difficulty settings in WT3 and 4 when we finish the campaign. We already think it easily better than three. So much about the way it works I do not fully understand, and I should really get on and sort my barbarian quest out too - she just runs very slowly and I have spent so much time taking her round the fractured peaks looking for world events and dungeons that I am forgetting to actually do the story.

I did try D2R a few weeks ago but found it a bit of a struggle. The loot being so abundant but having to go back and forth so much to get rid of it - plus the inventory management. I think D4 is the perfect mix of 3 and 2's management. This games feels like a sequel to D2R with a ton of the best things of D3 (like controller being so good) but then some super cool things from D2, like the skill tree choice of how to beef yourself up, and the atmosphere feeling as dingy and dark as D2.

For the best experience, don't try to 100% zones before moving on with the story, because there's a lot of legwork just doing the story quests.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Reduce the size of the overworld by about 40%. More practically speaking, have more varied events with better rewards (you basically outgear WT4 whisper caches before you can even do the level 70 capstone lol) and make it so the horse doesn't get stuck on every piece of terrain.

Yeah and less corridors in the overworld. Also those press B traversal points need to be glompable from the horseback.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Vic posted:

For the best experience, don't try to 100% zones before moving on with the story, because there's a lot of legwork just doing the story quests.

Oh I am definitely not 100%ing the zones, I just take my barbarian around the areas looking for pathways to get elsewhere and she gets dragged into world events all the time. Always some yellow circle that suddenly envelopes me and I am fighting alongside level 50 people and doing little mini quests. Much like Destiny 2 events, which I loved.

I have not really played that long either, maybe only six hours or so. I just have to wander when LVG is not around because we are doing the story together. Means I just deal with the overworld while I wait.

SettingSun posted:

First thing you gotta learn about D2 is that you can leave 95% of all that loot on the ground. If you ever go back to D2, which you should because it rules, consider that to save your sanity.

Thank you! I did not realise. I guess approaching it in the D3 mindset was the mistake :)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Games Forum posted:

I have not really played that long either, maybe only six hours or so. I just have to wander when LVG is not around because we are doing the story together. Means I just deal with the overworld while I wait.

I did the same waiting for my friend group who are all parents with an hour or two a day to play. Just exploring Fractured Peaks, doing events, looking for Lilith Statues, doing side quests (since you don't share the side quest progress)... and I was level 46 when we left Kyovashad. That's why they gated levels 1-50 together as a sort of "story playground" where everyone's doing equal damage.

In retrospect I should've rolled a separate character because I was stuck at 50 for majority of the storyline and boy did they took their sweet time getting there.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I would really like some kind of group finder.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Vic posted:

Yeah and less corridors in the overworld. Also those press B traversal points need to be glompable from the horseback.

Come to think of it, traversal points could've been clean transitions where one button both despawns the horse and plays the quicktime event, then respawns the horse on the other end. Zero cooldown. Plenty of room to get flashy with animations where you jump into a saddle etc too.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
[quote="Dr. Mantis Toboggan" post="532825164"]
You can craft them at the Occultist, and the Whispers tree should drop a guaranteed one

e:

Also just wanted to post this sick crossbow I found. I think I used up all my luck before seasons start

Can't craft on this char until she finds one first to unlock it.
The whispers quest for the first guarenteed sigil didn't happen. I keep doing whispers and leveling and no sigil

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Reddit thinks I need to change world tiers down and back up again to reset the bugged guaranteed sigil quest that is supposed to happen low 50s. My last character I had a ton of sigil by now.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Vashro posted:

Reddit thinks I need to change world tiers down and back up again to reset the bugged guaranteed sigil quest that is supposed to happen low 50s. My last character I had a ton of sigil by now.

this was it, went down to WT 2 ,back up to 3 and finished a whispers and it finally gave me some sigil

Vashro fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 28, 2023

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
one thing I Do Not Like is that unique can drop with power level below what you have equipped, so you can be like 'oh baby a unique' and then it's just not even worth equipping whatsoever. feels bad.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
drat they must have increased the XP in NM dungeons like 100%. I went from level 98 to 100 in a bit under 2 hours. The teleport to dungeon feature helps increase XP per hour too I guess.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Got a decent bloodless scream last night now time to see if a sever build works

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

drat they must have increased the XP in NM dungeons like 100%. I went from level 98 to 100 in a bit under 2 hours. The teleport to dungeon feature helps increase XP per hour too I guess.

I haven't tested it myself, since the DDOS thing killed two characters of mine, but I've seen numbers between 80% and 100% more xp. Overall just a really good change. Sadly the whisper xp boost isn't as impactful, so 1-50 is still mostly a slog

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Games Forum posted:

Yeah, couch co-op was a huge selling point for my girlfriend and I. I bought it a couple weeks ago and we spent the first 3 nights just doing side content.
Like, I know the running joke is that you can be 50 before you're even out of Act 1, but it really wasn't wrong.

I ended up powering through the story because I wanted to unlock difficulty 3 before my work schedule started loving me again, but yeah, I could've easily just kept doing side quests and running dungeons and left Lorath to twiddle his thumbs.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Games Forum posted:

The loot being so abundant but having to go back and forth so much to get rid of it - plus the inventory management.

Fact is gold means jack poo poo in D2. You do not need to farm gold and crafting is not a thing (at least not with gold). Identifying blues is only a thing in the very early game and in the very late game (there are 2 or 3 extremely rare and powerful blue items like the Jeweller's Monarch of Deflecting but they are just that. Too rare and too few). Just pick up armors. Armors are what you need for gold and the rest is just trash. Even white armors (non magical) made of metal are worth picking up to get your gold.

D2 crafting is very weird and random in what you need to place in the cube to do it.. Its not about gold. You can skip it altogether or you can look up the recipes in Arreat Summit to make sure you pick up the correct ingredients. But as a D2 newbie I would just skip the whole ordeal of crafting

TLDR: Pick up only what your character needs, and armors for gold. Also pickup charms and jewelry

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 28, 2023

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just beat the story at level 51. Lol at Donan dying from a wall.

And holy hell, the last fight was an absolute loving lagfest.

That was his son/looked like him.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I wish events and cellars gave renown, it would make that go much smoother.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Patch note: Cellars now give 5 renown. Renown breakpoints increased by 500/level.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

the_steve posted:

Yeah, couch co-op was a huge selling point for my girlfriend and I. I bought it a couple weeks ago and we spent the first 3 nights just doing side content.
Like, I know the running joke is that you can be 50 before you're even out of Act 1, but it really wasn't wrong.

I ended up powering through the story because I wanted to unlock difficulty 3 before my work schedule started loving me again, but yeah, I could've easily just kept doing side quests and running dungeons and left Lorath to twiddle his thumbs.

Love the voice of Lorath. I think Ralph Ineson has got this wonderful kind of gravel and it really suits this wilderness guy that right now I am not sure I should trust :)

Mr. Pickles posted:

Fact is gold means jack poo poo in D2. You do not need to farm gold and crafting is not a thing (at least not with gold). Identifying blues is only a thing in the very early game and in the very late game (there are 2 or 3 extremely rare and powerful blue items like the Jeweller's Monarch of Deflecting but they are just that. Too rare and too few). Just pick up armors. Armors are what you need for gold and the rest is just trash. Even white armors (non magical) made of metal are worth picking up to get your gold.

D2 crafting is very weird and random in what you need to place in the cube to do it.. Its not about gold. You can skip it altogether or you can look up the recipes in Arreat Summit to make sure you pick up the correct ingredients. But as a D2 newbie I would just skip the whole ordeal of crafting

TLDR: Pick up only what your character needs, and armors for gold. Also pickup charms and jewelry

Many thanks for the tips. Maybe I could return to this in the off times when LVG and I cannot play D4. If I remember correctly, I am in Act 1 at the spot where there is a church type place and you get your first rune. I am not all the way in and somehow only found 3 way points despite searching for the ones in between. I bet there is a D2R thread I could jam up instead of bringing it all here :)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

oh jesus christ what do i do

I'm doing 2H axe vuln, so I assume the vuln, but jesus

I'm late on this but it depends on how much you have of each. You don't want to stack too much of any one type of damage bonus or else you're being inefficient with your item budgets.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Stunned is just in the general pot, there ain't no way its better than the vuln. Donno about the strength though.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That was his son/looked like him.

I like that as headcanon, though it's too restrained for their storytelling. Donan didn't yell "That's the soul of my fallen son who was corrupted by a demon and died", followed by, "Oh no! My son has killed me!"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You need Donan to say "Son?" or the pillar zombie to rasp "Faaaathhherrr" as proper setup. There's zero setup and you sure as gently caress can't tell one generic damned soul from another so yes, Donan was one shot by the thing I click to see the exploding animation and 300 gold fly out of. After he helped us fight a thirty foot tall super demon.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 28, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

If you're tired of farming renown, go do some other stuff but keep picking Tree of Whispers quests that take you to new dungeons. Then by the time you're ready to go back to side quests you're closer than when you paused.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

flashman posted:

Stunned is just in the general pot, there ain't no way its better than the vuln. Donno about the strength though.

OP was asking about strength vs. vuln damage. The right answer was depends on how much they already have.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Kaddish posted:

OP was asking about strength vs. vuln damage. The right answer was depends on how much they already have.

Ahh.. What's strength, .1 percent per point?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So I somehow got to 9,999 Rawhides in my inventory.
Can't pick up any more than that.

No problem, I can just refine it at the alchemist to superior leather.

Oh, wait ...

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

S.J. posted:

oh jesus christ what do i do

I'm doing 2H axe vuln, so I assume the vuln, but jesus

That's tough, but what are other affixes? So far I don't think I've seen this choice because the only ones I've enchanted already have one of these, or it goes in the bin. Lucky hit/crit dmg ... ?

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 28, 2023

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Steel Grasp fix was not documented, feels great with Ancient's Oath now that it actually works!

https://i.imgur.com/j8lK86c.mp4

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Diephoon posted:

Steel Grasp fix was not documented, feels great with Ancient's Oath now that it actually works!

https://i.imgur.com/j8lK86c.mp4

I found an ~800 Oath with +6 levels grasp and have never used it, and I would like to get away from the 3 shout + hota for a while. What's your fury builder for that?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

RadioDog posted:

I found an ~800 Oath with +6 levels grasp and have never used it, and I would like to get away from the 3 shout + hota for a while. What's your fury builder for that?

he has LS and Rallying Cry on his bar

What I wanna know is if they fixed Rage of Harrogath bug; before it only triggered off bleeds caused by Rend or the 2H Slash WW rune and there are conflicting reports on this.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Orange Crush Rush posted:

he has LS and Rallying Cry on his bar

What I wanna know is if they fixed Rage of Harrogath bug; before it only triggered off bleeds caused by Rend or the 2H Slash WW rune and there are conflicting reports on this.

Is that enough? I'm still using 3 shouts, at that's with +4/s during shout. It builds up but I still run out of steam. I also have Harrogath and didn't realize it was/wasn't working like that, just that it didn't seem very effective.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

RadioDog posted:

Rallying Cry boosts Fury Generation, Stomp generates fury and stuns which allows me to benefit from Double Swing's 25 Fury refund on stunned/knocked down targets. With a little bit of Fury Cost Reduction you generate more Fury on Stunned Targets than you spend, but I still spend a bit of time using Lunging Strike to generate fury.

On my rings I have Aspect of the Umbral for fury generation when CC is applied, which procs from my blunt weapon stuns and direct damage to bleeding target aspect stuns. I also use Aspect of Berserk Fury to generate fury while berserking since I am always berserking because Double Swing extend's berserking's duration. The inital berserk is gained from Lunging Strike crits and now, hitting targets with Steel Grasp.

I've been playing with fury gain on weapon swap as well, but I don't go out of my way to weapon swap, it just occurs naturally when I use Lunging Strike to move then go back to spamming Double Swing.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Diephoon posted:

Rallying Cry boosts Fury Generation, Stomp generates fury and stuns which allows me to benefit from Double Swing's 25 Fury refund on stunned/knocked down targets. With a little bit of Fury Cost Reduction you generate more Fury on Stunned Targets than you spend, but I still spend a bit of time using Lunging Strike to generate fury.

On my rings I have Aspect of the Umbral for fury generation when CC is applied, which procs from my blunt weapon stuns and direct damage to bleeding target aspect stuns. I also use Aspect of Berserk Fury to generate fury while berserking since I am always berserking because Double Swing extend's berserking's duration. The inital berserk is gained from Lunging Strike crits and now, hitting targets with Steel Grasp.

I've been playing with fury gain on weapon swap as well, but I don't go out of my way to weapon swap, it just occurs naturally when I use Lunging Strike to move then go back to spamming Double Swing.

Ah thank you that's exactly what I was after. I started with LS/Stomp but could feel it drop off when I didn't find enough fury aspects at the time. I'd never even seen a resource+ ring until 70 or so. That's a good combination and looks fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Oh yeah sorry, I just sort of assumed everyone knows to have some kind fury regen aspect on rings by now